Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2879
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:21 Sep 2005 19:05:07 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Cat removal
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

3. Beware of that eBay car!!!
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

6. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Driving With Doors Open
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Hood vins?
From: Jim Hodgson <jhodgson11_at_dml_shaw.ca>

10. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

11. Re: Car Cover (cheap)
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Legal or Tampering?
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Car Cover (cheap)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

15. Chicago Preview Video
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Cat removal
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

18. Self-censorship and the DML
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

19. Cabin Lights Wont Go Out
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

21. Torsion adjustment
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Last call to see Gold DeLorean in Maryland!
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Driving With Doors Open
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Cat removal
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.

Still no pressure and temperature readings..

There is no way anyone can help you without that
information.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:26:38 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Cat removal

I don't recall Matt asking for legal counsel: only the removal of a cat
converter.  Information in and of itself is 100% legal, and there's a
Constitution to back that up.

I will have to raise my voice and request that we continue onward with the
actual technical info, the very point of this listing, and set the legalities
of  its practice aside for another thread.

Regards,
William F.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:35:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Beware of that eBay car!!!

Its a scam!
you were wright to be cautious...
Whenever a car I like goes on ebay, I save all of the
posted pics of the car in its own file in my pics
folder and label the files by vin#.  I made a file of
this cars pics on saturday, September third...while it
was still really for sale...
Take a look at these pics, they are identical to the
ones on the post, same vin too, but on the post, the
lisence plate is blacked out, and you can see why in
one of the pics I attached.  WRONG STATE!
Also, there were only two things really wrong when it
was really posted: the windshield had a small crack in
it, and the front drivers fender had a scratch (as
seen in the pic I provided, which was on the origional
post).
I contacted ebay to have the car removed this morning,
but they are taking their sweet time...
I know this helps;)
Jonathan Minor(still no vin)

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:48:06 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

True on the etched thing,I admitted that on a earlier(vin) post,it
was done with a hand(electric) etcher on the pontoon rear quarter
that was fully covered by the Qpanel,it was done during
disassembly,BEFORE I even knew about low vins,(or even the vin of
570,I just had NOT paid attention to it,till way after the etching) I
did it just as a history marker ID,or if it got stolen and/or the ID
tags removed,(by a thief)since I was doing a ground up,and wanted a
future owner
to discover it/ know WHO did the work,kind of like the cave
drawings/dates under the headliners.A very easy repair/removal for
anyone who knows fiberglass repair--or could stay as it IS part of
the history of that car.My intension was to make it into a very nice
example of a Delorean,not as a history showpiece.I cannot comment on
a low vin door switch,but I did switch drivers doors between a 81 and
a 83 and they both fit just fine,and the 81 door fit and closed
perfect on the 83,and as far as I know,is still working/closing fine
as of the last(pic) view(early this year) of that car,the 83 door
fit/closed fine on the 81.If you see my posted pics, the "newer
Qpanels" fit just fine on vin 570.It is a BONUS to me to hear,that
Chris is making it to orignal factory spec,vin 570 deserves it!! You
must remember, Again IT WAS my car(at the time) if I wanted my name
etched,where it did no visible harm,that was my choice.If I wanted
smooth Finished surfaces on my car again my choice(which I had done
on the red painted 82 Delorean that went with the deal,that was my
personal choice,it did not effect structual integerity,or effect it
for long term use.It is up to the owner to choose,How what or why of
the car! Ater all you DO own one of the most altered cars! Now if I
made it into a  hovercraft,or Hemipowered,or Monstertruck,now that is
major alterations,90% plus DMC's are altered in one fashion or other.
Again is is up to the owner to make it as they so choose,I still say
etch the vin number on the underbody(hidden inside and outside)(for
recovery purposes)
CBL

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:37:04 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: High-performance radiator fans

Dave - It is not my goal or intention to argue with you about the
point you are trying to make, but with all due respect ... No, you
did not buy the same fans for $29.  You bought *some* fans, not the
same fans.  If you would extend to me a little grace so that I can
offer an analogy; You bought a $29 Timex watch from Walmart (no
offense intended to the largest corporation in the world).  Your
friend got a very reasonable deal on a genuine Rolex from a
reputable dealer down town.  His watch cost $1000, but is a
beautiful precision machine that is very well made and will last a
lifetime and beyond.  Your Timex is disposable, and will be replaced
with another $29 Timex when this one quits working prematurely (and
so on).  Is it reasonable for you to compare your Timex with your
friend's Rolex, and declare to your friend that he got ripped off?
After all, they do pretty much the same task, don't they?

If you look at the current offerings in this product category, and
can show that DeLorean Parts Northwest is "out of touch with this
pricing", then by all means let's talk.  By the way, these fans do
come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.  Thank you
for listening.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1" - cool and quiet!
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

>> As much as I appreciate DeLorean clubs making money, dude this is

a rip-off. I just bought a set of the same type fans for my car at
$29 apiece. Good luck trying to pass this deal off on any DeLorean
owners here.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 03:17:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

When 570 was removed from your "indoor storage" it was in sad shape.
The front suspension was removed and we had to stick a dolly under it
so we could move it. We had to be careful how we handled it, all the
panels were just laying on the body, nothing fastened. It was covered
in grime and dust and we had to remove alot of parts and things stored
on top of the car. Car, it was more like a loose collection of parts.
It would have been difficult for it to have seen the "outside world"
without a front suspension! I cannot understand why it was
disassembled for a "ground-up" restoration if it was mint as you say.
A door off a donor car? All your cars looked like donor cars, not one
was complete. If you had 200 hours into 570 it was to take it apart.
You kept calling it a "preproduction" car. It is just a very early vin
that was used by DMC personnel and probably would not have been sold
to the public directly. I would certainly like to hear from the owner
of #16686 and hear how this "testament to workmanship" is doing.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Legend Turbo Deloreans

Legend Industries was contracted by DeLorean Motor
Company to produce a Turbo option for a "Type S"
option to be offered in 1984.

Because DeLorean knew pretty early on that the PRV
stock performance left a lot to be desired, he
contracted Legend Industries early on in the project.
(They had been successful at adding turbos to Fiat's)

Fred Delis and his team in Long Island NY started work
on the Twin-Turbo PRV project before there were any
complete DeLoreans available.  Initial testing was
done on 2 Renault Alpine vehicles.

Because this project was a priority, Legend was
shipped 4 of the early production cars to install the
Turbo engines in.  The most well known of these cars
was (and is) 502.  This car was used to "show off" the
performance at car shows, and to the press.

Later on when they realized how expensive the Twin
Turbo option would be, they started to experiment with
a single turbo engine that was not so different than
the BAE turbo kit on your car.

When DMC went bankrupt, they took Legend Industries
with them. At that point 2 DeLoreans had the "Twin
Turbo" setup, and 2 had the "single turbo". At the
bankruptcy auction of Legend, all 4 DeLoreans were
sold along with a few extra "Dyno, and endurance"
engines and lots of extra parts.

So, the quick answer is that the only relationship
between "Legend Cars" and 500 vin cars are that the 4
cars sent to Legend Industries were 500 vin cars.

Best I can tell, and new research may confirm or deny
this soon, 501, 502, 528, and 530 were the DeLoreans
at Legend Industries.  There are 4 other modified
engines that I know of, one is in 01860, one is owned
by Grady, and 2 more still in those Renault Alpines.

There is also an engine owned by DeLorean One, but
this was a mock-up engine built from an earlier 2.7L
PRV engine and assembled for publicity (The photo is
in SSI).  It was shipped around with most of the
internal parts removed (for weight), I am told that Ed
later built up this engine but could never get it to
run properly.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:05:18 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Driving With Doors Open

I was looking at different DeLorean stuff in Yahoo videos and came across this:

http://www.lotsoftens.net/videos/Delorean/Delorean01.avi

It fits pretty well with this tread, so I thought I'd share.

Corey

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 22:12:58 -0600
From: Jim Hodgson <jhodgson11_at_dml_shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Hood vins?

Jeff,

I have VIN 3029, just 5 away from yours and probably built the same day. It
has the flap, grooves and locking gas cap.
I'm assuming it is original as the car had less than 7000 miles on it when I
bought it.

Jim Hodgson

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 04:51:01 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans

In case it's helpful, a DMC company document outlining where various
company cars were allocated was dug up a long time ago and tallied on
the DMC VIN list (available on the DMCNews web site). That DMC memo
clearly listed 502, 528, 530, and 558 as engineering cars allocated to
Legend, and I'm sure James has it in his archives still (I might have
a photocopy lying around).

    Knut

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:31:58 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Car Cover (cheap)

In a message dated 9/20/2005 2:02:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
breathable but completely water proof. The material itself could not
freeze.
Also, you may have one size too large on your car, although these are not
form fitting and are a little baggy.>>

I'll admit I didn't bungee it, but as you say, they are baggy.  The box
specifically said for "DeLorean," however. The material per se didn't freeze, it
was wet clean through, then froze and stuck on like an old fashioned band aid
ripping off a scab. And just as pretty.
-Wayne

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 05:39:33 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Legal or Tampering?

thank you!! this is my point exactly. I am willing to take the
chance if fitting a "test pipe" makes my car more fun to drive

 Matt (epa's most wanted)

 16076 (still Legal)

--- > If the EPA actually enforced all their rules pertaining to
automobile

>> emissions, probably at least 1/3 of people who work on their own
>> vehicles  would be fined or jailed, and pretty much every street

level

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 00:39:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

That's the same one I use(BUDGE) I got the one that is
for a corvette and it fits nice...$30

Joey

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:48:15 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Maybe not the best analogy Toby.  Rolex watches lose about 3 seconds
per month.  That Timex won't.  Plus, if I were to put that $1000 into a simple
savings account at 3% interest, I can have a new Timex watch every year
FOREVER and never touch the principal.

-------------- Original message from "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>: --------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:48:23 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Chicago Preview Video

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:

"The Chicago group has put together a video highlighting Chicago and
the DCS show for next June and it will be included in the magazine."

And dont worry, for those of you that get Gullwing Magazine, the video
will be in our October issue also.  So if you dont get one or the other
of these magazines... like Ken said... sign up now.

Ron
www.gullwingmagazine.com
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 06:09:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

There have always been three..  This is no special
find.

528 is a single turbo, it was at DCS in Pigeon Forge.
All 3 have been together, because Rob did the
restoration on 528 at the same time 502 and 530 were
in his shop..  On a few occasions 1860 was there too,
at the same time.  (If that matters??)

Find the fourth "legend car"  (not 1860), and then I
will be impressed.

Last I checked, 528 is for sale.  Rob can put you in
touch with the owner.

You should still be praising Rob for bringing 4 people
to Connecticut on one of the coldest days of the
winter with a blizzard on the way, and PAYING you to
clean up your basement, garage, yard, and
should-be-condemned building.  Heck, Mike even bought
you lunch!  I was there, so I know first hand.

And, 570 was a piece of junk when it left your dump of
a building.  I would hardly refer to is as a car!
However, I have no doubt that Chris will be able to
make this car better than when it left the factory.
He will hopefully even (if he has not already) restore
the factory texture of the rear pontoons of the early
cars that you so stupidly sanded down.

When I spoke to Chris about his plans for 570 over a
year ago, I warned him that Claude would try and take
credit for it..  Sad, very sad..

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:53:47 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

I respectfully disagree in this case.  If we were discussing any other
performance improvement, it would be prudent to cover all of
the potential downsides of the modification - increased HP at
a reduced reliability, for example, or increased tire wear due
to a suspension change.  This allows the owner to weigh the risk
of the improvement against the downsides.  Legal ramifications are
also risks and should be discussed.

-------------- Original message from ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:04:18 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: Self-censorship and the DML

This is Mike Substelny from the moderating team.  Even though I am a
moderator, I have not been able to get the DML in my email since Sunday
night.  My email provider classified the DML as spam when it saw Jeff
Friday's response to VideoBob's pictures.  I provide an excerpt below,
in which I have omitted the letter X so this message can get through.

      That has to be the absolute SE_IEST pics
      involving a DeLorean I've ever seen. If I
      wasn't getting married I'd ask for the
      number for the girl in the 4th pic down.
      My kind of woman. Serious but se_y!!

I was amused to see my Yahoo! Groups bounce history.  I went into
soft-bouncing on the three messages below.

Richard Rowe writing about Marv Stein's event in Canada:

      . . . beer, bikinis and DeLoreans? Count me in!

Cecil Longwisch  writing about heatguns and epoxy:

      If you like the smell it may be too late for you!

Dave Swingle (!) talking about torsion bar adjustment:

      Pullling the engine to adjust the torsion bars
      is pretty extreme. . . .  ;-)

Obviously there was nothing wrong with any of these messages, but
somehow a spam filter robot thought they were spam.  These three were
suspicious, but they did not get the DML marked as a spammer.  It took
Jeff Friday's message to do that.  I expect many other subscribers also
missed Jeff's message because of spam filters.  Plenty of subscribers
may be missing this message right now because their email provider
marked the DML as a spammer Sunday night.

So be warned: if you post a message that includes suspicious looking
words and phrases some people may never get to read it.  This is not the
fault of the moderators or Yahoo! Groups, it is caused by spam filters.
The best way to ensure your message will be read is to censor yourself.

And if the DML suddenly stops showing up in your email, it may be
because someone posted a message that set off a spam filter.  Maybe even
this message!

-        Mike Substelny
Reunited with my friends on the DML, I hope

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:07:05 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out

For some reason, and suddenly,  My cabin dome lights will not go out
when I shut the doors.  I have to manually switch them on and off.
They dim, but do not shut off.  Is there a relay or a switch I am
missing.

Also, does anyone have some stock rear springs laying around that they
are dying to get rid of?

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:13:24 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

pics in photo section.says it all.

CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:29:35 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Torsion adjustment

Is there a Step by step for this procedure online somewhere.

Yes, I know it is potentially damaging, but I have heard it is easily
done with help and careful procedure, and I have no D shops near me to
do it.  Drivers door needs it bad.  New struts and it sill doesn't go
to full open without considerable help from the pilot.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:13:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans

I have this in my notes too..  "558?"  With the
question mark..

To prepare for Pigeon Forge, I met with Fred Delis a
few times.  Each meeting, he brought his "black book"
with the collection of photos and data on each of the
test cars.  In that book, I don't recall ever seeing
anything about 558.

This does not prove or disprove anything, just another
data point.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:42:23 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Last call to see Gold DeLorean in Maryland!

Ok everyone. I know a lot of you would love to see this car. I got a
couple responses. I need to know who all is coming to see the Gold
DeLorean this Saturday.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:20:01 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I recently drove my car in a parade.. It was a blast, I left the
doors open, and drove slowly and carefully.  No problem..
My son rode in the car, and my teenage daughter had feared
humiliation as well until she saw my car go by.. She then ran over
and jumped in it with us!.
Go have fun.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Thanks for the responses, yes, I was worried about the alignment

of

>> the doors.  Seems hitting the brakes even mildly could cause a
>> problem as the doors would be leaning forward, same with slow
>> acceleration to even 5 or 10 mph, I can see the doors leaning
>> towards the back.  My fear is when I go to close them the

alignment

>> would be off and I'd be shutting them down in the area of the

front

>> tire  :)   Or some type of bar or mount would break up top (you can
>> tell I'm not much of a mechanic).  My teenage daughter of course

is

>> worried about the life long emotional scars caused by intense
>> humiliation and embarrasement resulting in years of therapy at

great

>> cost and personal expense, but hey, did I mention I WOULD have
>> fun!!!!  (For the record, all her friends love it).

open.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:45:14 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

This is a valid point, Legal ramifications should be discussed.
However.  It is well known that romving a converter is illegal.  It
seems to be so well known that it is the first thing people will say
when the procedure is mentioned.  I posted earlier about how other
things we do are just as illegal, but not as well publicised, so they
do not even get a mention where legality is concerned.  My original
question regarding removal of the cat was not intended to spark a
purely legal debate, but a mechanical one.  Thus far, I have recieved
only one mechanical reply.

And here I thought De Lorean owners where the type to live just a
little bit against the grain.  I guess I am largely on my own on this
one.  I'll let you guys know what jail is like if they let me post
from the "Inside"

Matt
still legal in Colorado
#16076

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, mike.griese_at_dml_w... wrote:

>> I respectfully disagree in this case.  If we were discussing any

other

>> performance improvement, it would be prudent to cover all of
>> the potential downsides of the modification - increased HP at
>> a reduced reliability, for example, or increased tire wear due
>> to a suspension change.  This allows the owner to weigh the risk
>> of the improvement against the downsides.  Legal ramifications are
>> also risks and should be discussed.
>>
>> --
>> Mike

been removed]