Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2880
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:21 Sep 2005 22:42:45 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: Car Cover (cheap)
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

5. Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. DMC (Texas) Operating Hours
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

8. Re: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

9. Re: Cat removal
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

10. Stainless regraining
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

11. Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. RE: High-performance radiator fans
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

14. Right hand drive cars
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

15. Re: Torsion adjustment
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:53:49 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

I see the rear fascia is split directly behind the marker light and
is pulling away, I see what look like silver rims on a car that
should have dark grey (1884 and after have silver), and I see a very
dirty interior with some kind of unfinished wiring job in progress
strewn across the center console, or some wiring job that was never
finished.  And the car is also missing the striker pin for the door
in one picture.

The frame looks good from those pictures, and the engine does not
have the correct decal on the airbox for an early car.  It should
have the small DMC sticker instead of that big one.

Did I miss anything?

Definitely not concours condition in those pictures, I'm anxious to
see it when restoration is finished by Chris.  Looks like he has
quite a job to do.
-Patrick C.
1880

On Sep 21, 2005, at 12:13 PM, cbl1739 wrote:

>> pics in photo section.says it all.

Patrick Conlon

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:00:22 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Car Cover (cheap)

In intense rain the moisture went right through my cover as well.  I
had ice stuck to the car, but no paint peeled off the fascia with the
cover though. Everytime I use it, I have waterspots all over the car
that went through the cover.  It is very light, and wind does get
under it and blow it very high above the roof (doesn't even look like
a D when the roof looks that high), yet I haven't had it blow off
yet.  And no, I don't use a bungee either as I lost the adhesive
grommet thing to put on and punch a hole through in order to use a
bungee.

Its okay for a $30 Wal-mart cover, but its by no means great in my
opinion.  Maybe Wayne and I got some out of a bad batch.
-Patrick C.
1880

On Sep 21, 2005, at 1:31 AM, deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com wrote:

>> In a message dated 9/20/2005 2:02:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>> videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
>> breathable but completely water proof. The material itself could not
>> freeze.

Patrick Conlon

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:05:28 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out

Are your doors making contact with the switches?

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:51:51 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Can't argue with that...

-------------- Original message from "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>: --------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:10:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

... Also hard to see from the photos that none of the
body parts are bolted to the car.  They are just
laying on top.

That is, if these photos are even of the right car!

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:21:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans

Also in the "mystery" category: does anyone have an explanation as to why VIN 502 has a VIN tag specifying "April 1981"?  The production chronology says it is March, but I've seen it enough times to know otherwise.  Were these early cars not built sequentially?  -And what about the missing VINs early on?  As I understand, most of the early production chronology (thanks Knut!) was taken from company records.  Does this indicate that some of these VINs (ex. 503, 504, 505) were never used?

And while I'm at it, what about the elusive VIN 501?  Marc's last post was the most history I've ever heard about the car.  Interesting stuff....

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 -->sharing the same build month as 502, but not sure why.

Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
I have this in my notes too.. "558?" With the
question mark..

To prepare for Pigeon Forge, I met with Fred Delis a
few times. Each meeting, he brought his "black book"
with the collection of photos and data on each of the
test cars. In that book, I don't recall ever seeing
anything about 558.

This does not prove or disprove anything, just another
data point.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:20:41 -0500
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours

DMC (Texas) will be closed Friday, September 23rd, 2005 to allow our
staff time to prepare their home and families in anticipation of the
hurricane.

Our online store will be open, as usual, 24 hours a day as it is hosted
in a remote location.

We fully expect to be back open at 8:00am Monday morning. Please let me
know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com
------------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:01:44 -0000
From: "Derek" <derek.grozio_at_dml_verizon.net>

I was having a similar problem but it was because of a mixed up ground
that plugged into the light. I would assume this is a ground issue, and
would pull the lights and clean the ground contacts on the housing. I
am not sure where the lights ground to the car, but would assume it is
behind the rear wall above the relay compartment where it seems many
interior components are connected to ground. I cleaned mine due to tach
issues, and it was pretty oxidized. Fixed the issue immediately.

-Derek #10084

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> For some reason, and suddenly,  My cabin dome lights will not go out
>> when I shut the doors.  I have to manually switch them on and off.
>> They dim, but do not shut off.  Is there a relay or a switch I am
>> missing.
>>
>> Also, does anyone have some stock rear springs laying around that

they

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:12:51 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

-------> Matt

>> still legal in Colorado
>> #16076

Your not alone. I plan on dumping my cat as well when I get to the point
of doing engine and exhaust work, as well as doing other *illegal*
things like getting rid of the deceleration valves on the throttle plates.
Though I plan on building a custom exhaust instead of just bypassing the
cat.

There are moral issues as well with removing emission controls though,
and places that do emissions testing do them for a reason, which is
usually the locations are allready having a problem with polution.

Where I live here in Tennessee we don't have any emissions testing
requirements so no one will notice wether my D has a cat or not but me.
And as far as the moral aspects.. well I have no intention of using my D
as a daily driver, so I think the enviromental impacts of my modifications
will be minimal with the car only likly going to get 2-3k miles put on it
per year tops.. especially compared to the 18k/yr avg I put on my 98
intrepid.

Chris
VIN#3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:48:37 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Stainless regraining

Can anyone tell me what exactly is required toolwise to regrain the
stainless on the Delorean? I'm asking this kinda in advance as i'm nowhere
near the stage of worrying about the body, but most of the panels on my D
are in serious need of regraining from improper care in the past by the
former owner and some damage on the left rear panel.  The reason i'm
asking before i'm ready is because i'm trying to figure up a rough budget
for the rest of the parts/tools i'm going to need to finish up the car.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:38:37 -0400
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Bob's AC problems.

 Is the a testing procedure to measure the Temps and pressures for an R -134 system?

Dē & 6530
Dave Delman

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:17:14 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans

After seeing the photos I remember now the front wheels were on that
car, it had no steering rack and one of the rear wheels (or the rear
suspension, I don't remember exactly now) was missing so we had to
steer each front wheel and put a dolly under the rear. The frame was
nice but it looked like it was recently painted with a trowel. From
the pictures you can see how dirty everything was and how disassembled
things were. The motor (which was removed) was "supposed" to have been
from that car and was also supposed to be very low mileage (and
running when removed). One has to wonder why it was removed if it
worked and the frame was so nice. These pictures are not when we
removed all these parts but must be from an earlier time. No one took
pictures. I wish we had. No one will believe how bad the conditions
were. We moved a mountain of parts (not Delorean) to get much of the
Delorean parts and cars out of Claude's "indoor storage". I do
remember especially that we had a lot of difficulty moving the cars
with all the parts missing and the panels just laying on the car so
there was nowhere to push them without pushing the panels off the
cars! We had to use a floor jack and dollys to move the cars around,
if any of the cars did have  tires then they were flat! Some had
Vega?( I think) rims and junk tires. Parts were strewn everywhere. We
found things in drawers, shelves, boxes, etc. On the loft we were
removing tires for maybe 2 hours there were so many. To get to the
point, these pictures do appear to be of 570 but from them you cannot
get a sense of how bad it really looked. When we really got them
uncovered and Rob got a good look at them he confided that if he had
been able to get a good look at all of it beforehand he probably
wouldn't have touched this pile of cr-p. The mint doors were damaged
by being removed without removing the torsion bars first (as mentioned
by Claude) and of all the new parts that were supposed to be there we
did find a new windshield and a new sunshade in a box. Mostly we found
used parts, like 6 exhaust systems, 20 tires and rims, old fuel pumps,
etc. It did not make sense the amount of used parts we found in no way
matched the cars we found or that Claude claimed to have fixed.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:40:30 -0400
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: High-performance radiator fans

Both sides have been stated and I think we can agree to disagree. DeLorean
owners now have a valid second option to buy fans and are not locked into
ONLY buying from DeLorean vendors.

Dave Sontos

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:38:39 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Right hand drive cars

If anyone has a Right Hand Drive car, hopefully a Delorean and would
like it to be in a Major Motion Picture see this link.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t458614.html

The Fast and the Furious part#3 is looking for some right hand drive
cars.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:16:41 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Torsion adjustment

One thing I've been trying to tell everyone which makes the procedure
much much easier: REMOVE the door strut and have someone hold the door
as FAR OPEN as it will go without hitting the door's roof to the
fiberglass roof-this unwinds so much more tension out of the bar that
removal can be done with no/hardly any leverage! Compare this to the
people who use 3-5 foot pipes for leverage and end up breaking their
rear windows. Procedures are in DMCNEWS tech section. -----Dani B. #5003