Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2881
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:22 Sep 2005 02:43:27 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Bob's AC problems.
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

2. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. Re: Stainless regraining
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

4. Re: Cat removal
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. RE: Last call to see Gold DeLorean in Maryland!
From: "Jack Plumley" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Car Cover (cheap)
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Cat removal
From: Glenn <green95gst_at_dml_gmail.com>

10. Re: Last call to see Gold DeLorean in Maryland!
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. RE: Stainless regraining
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: 3.8 liter GM engines
From: "Rex" <sephiroth_at_dml_merriman.com>

13. Re: Re: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

14. Re: 3.8 liter GM engines
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Stainless regraining
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Right hand drive cars
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. RE: 3.8 liter GM engines
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

20. Re: Cat removal
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

21. Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

22. Re: Self-censorship and the DML
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

23. Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Stainless regraining
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

25. Re: Cat removal
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:23:46 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Bob's AC problems.

Of course, go to Advance auto and get a R134 recharge kit, it will
come with a gauge to test pressure. Temps- just use a laser temp
reader. -----Dani B. #5003

>>  Is the a testing procedure to measure the Temps and pressures for

an R -134 system?

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:34:47 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: High-performance radiator fans

Dave... how about some details... part number, brand, etc.  As it
stands your option means nothing without some more info.

Ron

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_v...> wrote:

>> Both sides have been stated and I think we can agree to disagree.

DeLorean

>> owners now have a valid second option to buy fans and are not

locked into

>> ONLY buying from DeLorean vendors.
>>
>> Dave Sontos

Behalf Of

>> Toby Peterson
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 11:37 PM
>> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: Re: [DML] High-performance radiator fans
>>
>> Dave - It is not my goal or intention to argue with you about the

point you

>> are trying to make, but with all due respect ... No, you did not

buy the

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:53:44 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Stainless regraining

Depending on the depth of the scratches you can use a blending pad and
polish, if they are really deep you will need a flex wheel.  Both
remedies require practice.  I would recommend the blending pad first,
look in the tech info section of the DML, for basic procedures, and go
slow and and easy, and follow instructions, think about every move you
make with the blending pad, it's not a sponge and will make it even
worse, if you don't follow the advice.  It's really easy to go
backwards. or sideways, if you not concentrating on what you are
doing.  If you get to power tools, good luck.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Can anyone tell me what exactly is required toolwise to regrain the
>> stainless on the Delorean? I'm asking this kinda in advance as i'm

nowhere

>> near the stage of worrying about the body, but most of the panels on

my D

>> are in serious need of regraining from improper care in the past by

the

>> former owner and some damage on the left rear panel.  The reason i'm
>> asking before i'm ready is because i'm trying to figure up a rough

budget

>> for the rest of the parts/tools i'm going to need to finish up the

car.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:15:23 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

All,

If you want to remove your cats and drive the car you need a new
registration and a street rod designation or hisorical, that
relieves you of all emissions type problems.  But you can't use it
as a daily driver, according to most state laws.  If you register as
a street rod, or historical vehical you are "supposed" to only drive
the car for special events or pleasure puposes.  Now I don't know
what pleasure purposes mean, maybe you drive the car everyday for
pleasure....

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean"

It

say

>> -------> Matt

>> Your not alone. I plan on dumping my cat as well when I get to the

point

>> of doing engine and exhaust work, as well as doing other *illegal*
>> things like getting rid of the deceleration valves on the throttle

plates.

>> Though I plan on building a custom exhaust instead of just

bypassing the

>> cat.
>>
>> There are moral issues as well with removing emission controls

though,

>> and places that do emissions testing do them for a reason, which

is

>> usually the locations are allready having a problem with polution.
>>
>> Where I live here in Tennessee we don't have any emissions testing
>> requirements so no one will notice wether my D has a cat or not

but me.

>> And as far as the moral aspects.. well I have no intention of

using my D

>> as a daily driver, so I think the enviromental impacts of my

modifications

>> will be minimal with the car only likly going to get 2-3k miles

put on it

>> per year tops.. especially compared to the 18k/yr avg I put on my

98

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:17:00 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours

Good Luck to you and all.  Let us know your status if you able.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, James Espey <james_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> DMC (Texas) will be closed Friday, September 23rd, 2005 to allow

our

>> staff time to prepare their home and families in anticipation of

the

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:40:35 -0400
From: "Jack Plumley" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Last call to see Gold DeLorean in Maryland!

This Sat?  You mean the 24th??  Hrm...where is it at again?

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:01:22 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out

yep

 matt
16076

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_h...>

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:03:49 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Car Cover (cheap)

What must have happend is that condensation must have formed on the car and
froze the material to the paint, this could happen with any type of material
so you can't really blame the car cover.
This would have happened to any materal.
You need a carcoon...or a friggin garage!
- VB

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:11:34 -0700
From: Glenn <green95gst_at_dml_gmail.com>

First off, The legal ramifications are something that needs to be
noted, especially on a public forum.  Second, for those that are
willing to look into the possibilities, modifications like this and
others are "LEGAL" on "OFF-ROAD VEHICLES ONLY"

A Test pipe would be perfectly legal to use if your vehicle is going
to be on a closed course such as a race track.  Honestly, How many of
us are really going to use our cars for "Track Use Only"  I
personally have another vehicle that is for the track and my Delorean
sits in my Driveway waiting for me to do more repairs to it.  I have
this Delorean since 92 after my first one got wrecked.  It came with
a single turbo and NO CAT or Muffler.  The car was unbearably load
for street use, but the performance was much better.  Adding a the
cat greatly reduced performance, but since I live in California and
the car is driven on the street, it was necessary to install a cat to
keep everyone happy.  My car passes smog every-time with no issues.

Now, that being said, when you increase the flow going out of the
engine you have to consider the need to increase the flow going into
the engine.  To get a better feel for how much improvement you will
get by freeing up your exhaust system is going to be inhibited by the
intake and fuel systems ability to keep up with the rest of the
motor.  Opening up the intake system is not that involved, and can be
done fairly easy if you know what you are doing.  Now lets consider
the fuel system.  With more air going into the motor, and more air
going out of the motor, the stock computer with the lambda sensor can
calculate the proper amount of fuel needed, but the fuel system will
not be able to keep up with much more than the stock power the motor
can produce.  If you really want to make more power from the PRV
motor, you might want to consider upgrades to the stock fuel system.

Anything is possible with the right people fabricating parts, lots of
money and the ability to replace all the parts that might be broken
or blown up by bad fuel maps.  Just remember that the car was
originally tuned to run a specific way with the equipment that is on
it.  Minor modifications to the motor might make small improvements,
but to utilize the true performance potentials, you have to look at
many different systems.

I hope this helps in your ventures for a better running car.

-Glenn

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:17:36 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I just spoke to Carl the owner of the Gold DeLorean.  He said we can
come at 11AM this Saturday!  Meet me at the Sideling Hill Rest Area
from 10:00AM to 10:30AM and follow me to Carl's.  Email me off list if
you are coming for sure; even if you e-mailed me before.  I would like
a count so no one gets left out.  Anyone mind if it is raining?  I
heard it might rain.  E-mail: jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:18:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Chris, I recently put some blending pads on the site that are extra
stiff/strong for cleaning up the car. I use them after we service one to
remove any blemishes that we find that don't require the air tool. If you
have shop air, I can rent out the tool.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:08:41 -0400
From: "Rex" <sephiroth_at_dml_merriman.com>
Subject: Re: 3.8 liter GM engines

I honestly cant figure out why people would think the DeLorean had the buick
3.8 in it... I can understand them confusing the PRV with the chevy 2.8 v6
though... Like others have said, probly just a lot of folklore...

 On another note:

Has anyone ever tried putting a 3.8 in a DeLorean?... That's whats under my
hood right now and its a pretty sweet engine. I've seen turbos and
superchargers put on them making alot of hp/torque... Lots of f-body's and
w-body's out there to pull'em out of if someone is willing to try that
conversion  :)  Moment of opinion: I know that the 3.8 can sound pretty ricey
with headers n exhaust mods but i dunno how that would apply if modified to
fit the exhaust of a D...

My .02 cents...

Later bro's

Rex

VIN: Sunstars

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:17:40 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Cabin Lights Wont Go Out

Pop out the white relay in the relay compartment.  With that removed,
your interior lights should go out the second the doors are shut (no
delay).

Let us know if that works,
Patrick C.
1880

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:22:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Don Steger (DeLorean Motor Center CA) has done several of these. Rich
W has one here that I've played with too. A popular conversion is/was
the 3.8 Buick Turbo engine from the mid-80s Grand National. A
bellhousing is (or was) available for the conversion. It's an easy
engine to make lots of horsepower and fits pretty well, but the trans
can suffer if you get carried away.

Steger is the expert on this one, but several have done it.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:18:47 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I know there are a lot more important things than parts for our cars
such as the lives of families and everyone down there, but I was
wondering.  Can the building withstand weather like this?  We will all
be thinking about you all and your families and friends.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:32:49 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey John,

I thought I asked you about this earlier in an email but don't
remember a response (You are quite the busy man).  I'm going to
definitely need a full regraining as my car was completely painted.
How much would it cost to rent the tool from you?  Does it come with
the flapper wheel sandpaper to do the job?

Email me at Brandelorean(AT)yahoo.com!

Thanks,

Brandon

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:36:14 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Right hand drive cars

Hey Mark,

I think Rob's Delotus would probably be more impressive to a movie
exec than a RHD DeLorean (I work in this biz).

Hey ROB, if you're out there...contact them as I could see the rear
bumper / engine reving typical shot containing your D in it  :)

It'd be nice to see a D smoke a few ricers  :)

Brandon
Vin 3323

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:48:40 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans, factory and others

Please reread message 57054.(it tells why)Again Qpanels/rear facsia
were not the orignal/nor were those to be the perament panels,I HAD
so Many MANY (all orignal NCT/Tires/rims as stated below(in fact I
had Nothing but orignal tires and rims)Tires got changed around,have
your tires never been seperated from you "D" as you will notice on
some shots,Springs/shocks were redone wheels came off,putting the
wheels back on I grabbed the wrong wheel at one point.If you look at
vin 16686 I put a grooved hood on it(83's had flat plane hoods) It S--
T happens,I did not even relize until a DML'er mentioned it when it
was on Ebay and posted that fact here,a long time ago(the car is now
living in the UK,by the way 16686 WAS on the Cover of the UK version
of DW called interesting enough called Deloreanews.(it waslast owned
by Stuart
Alexander 2005) Preproduction is what was gleamed from the 1987
edition of Delorean World August edition(or around there) which
stated that fact, about the 500-mid 600 series cars.I did NOT make it
up,And all that info was gleamed from TOP SOURCES,by DW! Grime NONE
dust Plenty as the cars did sit covered for a Long Long time.As for
new parts one car WAS/HAD all NEW parts(car in my home garage,(plus
Donor car)as that car recieved all the DONOR parts(to go with it)
from a(believe it or not)a one MONTH old DELOREAN,the car was Totaled
one month after its birthdate,(2k miles)I picked it(bought it)up(and
paid BIG BUCKS for it) when the factory was still in business(1982)I
think that would qualify as new,or at least as close to new as you
can get.That was the car that started the  balljoint recall by DMC,
(first car with balljoint failure at speed!)as it was involved in a
major accident on the Mass Pike breaking a balljoint at high speed
going headon onto the other side,causing a fatality,causing a major
lawsuit(I did a investigation into that car as I wanted to restore it
as at that time Deloreans were worth big bucks,and again was a month
old,but Mass Motor Vehicles(and the sueing insurance companies made
sure that car could/would never see license plates again.So no choice
but to become a donor car.The highest mileage "D" I owned had 33K on
it,average was 12K,red car had 22K,570 had I think 9K,the one at my
house had 3k,Donor car 2K(above) vin 16686 had 13K (when I sold it)
and one more that I sold previous had 10K.All cars were parked
indoors at 90degrees to the garage doors,(at both locations)so
Yea,they would be hard to get out,expecially in my home garage with 3
long term stored cars,in a two car garage.The old catch 22.. cars
don't get moved,so you cover them UP,You need room for other stuff,so
items get packed around what doesn't get moved,or on top(Donor car)
next thing you know,you need to get to it,but..Who on this list never
had that problem on a long term restore.That part about no front
suspension,Correct,as described above the Donor car had a dead front
suspension,but then again, EVEN my donor cars,I had enough respect to
squeeze it into my home garage,or was it better for me to have stored
it outside to rot! Again remember it WAS a parts car,and nothing I
could do to the front end to "make it roll".(the parts car had no
Black body on it,just the full drivetrain,minus as you said the parts
of front suspension,but again it WAS a 2k INDOOR stored parts car.
Now please DO NOT start to also pick on my Bricklin and start calling
that a P.O.S...;> oboy... here we go... ;<
If you have any more questions,I would gladly answer them.
Regards
CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>
wrote:

>> When 570 was removed from your "indoor storage" it was in sad shape.
>> The front suspension was removed and we had to stick a dolly under

it

>> so we could move it. We had to be careful how we handled it, all the
>> panels were just laying on the body, nothing fastened. It was

covered

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:54:57 -0400
From: "Jason Sisto" <wizard_at_dml_tdgllc.com>

Rex:

I have a project car that I am considering doing a 3.8 (3800) swap.  I have done some research and the 3.8 can be matched exactly with a specific GM FWD transaxle (both auto and manual).  I have taken measurements for the Delorean engine bay and the 3.8 with the transaxle and it SEEMS (which is always a huge assumption) to fit.  Obviously I would have to do some frame modifications/supporting to make it fit.  I have also found a lot of 3.8 support of the web which is helpful. http://www.3800performance.com/  My biggest hold up is that these engines are fuel injected and use computers.  If I could use a carberated engine, wiring & install would be a lot easier because I would not have to deal with computers.  I have looked into sevearl carberated engines however, I cannot find an engine / FWD transaxle combo that I feel comfortable with.  Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:55:24 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Glenn wrote:

>>First off, The legal ramifications are something that needs to be
>>noted, especially on a public forum.  Second, for those that are
>>willing to look into the possibilities, modifications like this and
>>others are "LEGAL" on "OFF-ROAD VEHICLES ONLY"

According to the EPA your wrong here..  here's the snippit from the site
that was posted previously.

"A catalytic converter may not be removed from a motor vehicle that is
currently being used only for off-road driving. This is considered
tampering. Tampering provisions pertain to all self-propelled motor
vehicles orginally designed for transporting persons or property on a
street or highway."

As you can see, the EPA doesn't care if it's used off road or not.. If the vehicle was originally designed for street use and came with a cat, removing it is considered illegal even if that vehicle will never be driven on the street again.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:57:23 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

I was thinking the same thing(eggs all in one basket thingy)
I wish them the Best,I have nothing left to donate,but if things get
really bad,I would/WILL Donate of my Person(come down)to help.But
hopefully it won't come to that.

Best Wishes down there
from Connecticut.
CBL

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:05:55 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Self-censorship and the DML

Mike & list,

On 9/21/05, Michael Substelny <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu> wrote:

>> The best way to ensure your message will be read is to censor yourself.

This is silly. Nobody should censor what they write because someone's
spam filter might pick it up. Instead, everyone should learn from your
experience and make sure they:

1. Understand their ISPs spam filtering features.
2. Perform the appropriate modifications to ensure DML mail gets past them.

ISP spam filters are great, except for one problem: Most of the time
they just turn them on and don't tell people! All spam filters mark
legitimate messages as spam from time to time, so people need to be
given the option to disable these things or alter their rulesets.

If anyone is unsure about their ISP's spam filtering, call them and ask.

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:28:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Stay safe...

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:09:04 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

John Hervey wrote:

>>Chris, I recently put some blending pads on the site that are extra
>>stiff/strong for cleaning up the car. I use them after we service one to
>>remove any blemishes that we find that don't require the air tool. If you
>>have shop air, I can rent out the tool.
>>John Hervey
>>www.specialtauto.com

Whenever I finally do the progress update to my site i'll. have close up
pics up of the area's on my stainless that i'm refering to.. Most of the
spots are from the PO rubbing the car the wrong way (no pun
intended...)  so the grain is all screwed up.. Though the worst place is
on the lower left rear quarterpanel between the door and the wheel where
the car was hit apparently at one time hard enough to get into the
fiberglass underbody as well.. the dent was /sorta/ fixed.. enough that
it didn't really stand out in the original pics I saw of the car before
I bought it but I noticed it pretty quick when I went to get the car and
got to inspect it personally up close.  I may end up trying to find
someone to restore the panel but I plan on trying to see what kind of
job I can do myself as I have done rough sheetmetal work in the past.

Can you tell me what exactly 'the air tool' consists of? As well as
where the air filter from my last order is while your at it. :P

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Why not just buy the DMCH exhaust with dual cats, or
the UK exhaust with the cat?

You can improve the performance, and be moral.