Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2882
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:22 Sep 2005 16:05:43 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: Glenn <green95gst_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Cat removal
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Coolant overflow bottle and sensor?
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

13. Re: Cat removal
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

14. Re: Coolant overflow bottle and sensor?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. RE: Self-censorship and the DML
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>

16. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. More on Gold DeLorean Trip!
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: Cat removal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

20. Carcoon for a Delorean
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

22. RE: Self-censorship and the DML
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

23. RE: Stainless regraining
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>

24. Re: Thinking of selling my car
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. Re: Cat removal
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:37:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans

The story I heard about 501 was the owner was unable
to get it to run properly so the turbo was removed.
The engine configuration was restored to "stock" (The
internals of the single turbo engine were not changed
as they were in the twin turbo).

Later, the car was somehow damaged (fire?) and junked.

I don't remember who told me this story, it was so
many years ago.  It could be 100% false, but it is the
only thing I have ever heard about the other Legend
car (and I always assumed it was 501).

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:29:09 -0700
From: Glenn <green95gst_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

Chris

As far as the EPA is concerned, you can't change anything on your car
even if it makes the emissions cleaner without having it tested for
cleaner emissions.  Have you ever seen what leaded gas does to cats?
I run 110 leaded in my race car and have a test pipe for when I am at
the track.  When you modify a car for "Track Use Only" it no longer
is intended for street or highway.  But once you go that route, you
no longer can register the vehicle for use on any roads or drive the
vehicle on any roads.

Now lets see what the club racers would do if the EPA came down on
all of there modified cars.

-Glenn

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:41:19 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Thinking of selling my car

I'm thinking of selling my car and need to know that if I do decide
to sell it would anyone here want to buy it? I am looking at another
car that claims to be better than mine and I am going to check it out
this weekend. Here are the specs of my car
  - VIN 10989
  -Gray interior
  -Stainless steel, needs to be regrained
  -5 speed
  -rims are in need of recoating
  - has an electrical problem somewhere, not sure where
  - needs new headliner, I have the new material but no core.

Overall my car is a good $9K car. Compared to most of you guys' cars
my stinks and is ugly but I still have people come knock on my door
and want to see it.

I haven't made my mind up but need to know what to tell the seller of
the other car if I do decide to buy his or her's car.

Josh

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:46:44 -0700
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours

James and all,

Here's wishing you the best of luck in weathering the storm.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 19:57:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Claude's Cars.

When we were there picking through all of the garbage
looking for DeLorean parts, I remember saying to Dave
or Mike (or both?) How does Claude have SO MANY wheels
(and other parts)?  There were a lot more parts than
cars...  It made me wonder where they came from.

So, I will confirm for you Claude...  There were tons
of parts scattered around in complete chaos, so it
would not surprise me if you swapped parts between
cars.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:37:34 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Here is another point to consider when removing/tampering with the
pollution control equipment. Someday you (or your widow) might have to
sell the car. In many States if you sell it and it can't pass
inspection it will become the previous owner's responsability to make
it pass especially if you tampered with the catalytic converter.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:00:27 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Totaled DeLorean

Who's car is the totaled one in the photo section? I almost cried when
I saw the interior. I assume that it was one that was in Mississippi?

Josh

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:32:17 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Stainless regraining

Again, The main problem is you have to have shop air and I don't mean a 27
or less gall tank at home. You would need the larger 60 to 80 gallon tanks.
I have everything as far as sanding material, but I haven't got a price on
lease at this time. It's the deposit that would kill yea.
Maybe 1st born or something like that. The tool can't be bought any more
unless you find one left over from the old days.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:21:15 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

On behalf of the Arizona Delorean Club, our thoughts and prayers are
with the DMCH staff and their families and anyone in the path of
Rita.

Christian

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, James Espey <james_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> DMC (Texas) will be closed Friday, September 23rd, 2005 to allow

our

>> staff time to prepare their home and families in anticipation of

the

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 07:23:23 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

>> Why not just buy the DMCH exhaust with dual cats, or
>> the UK exhaust with the cat?
>>
>> You can improve the performance, and be moral.

Oh Man!!  why didn't I think of that??

the 1400+ dollar expense comes to mind

and if you want to speak of morality.  How moral is it to own a $20K
car that is 25 years old that I don't really need in the first place.
It's not, if you are speaking of financial and environmental
morality.
But it's fun and it's awesome so I'll do it anyway.

And just so no one loses any sleep over whether or not I removed my
cat.  I didn't and will not any time soon.  The repairs the shop
made included a weld at the downstream side of the cat.  So there is
no easy swap like I had hoped.

Matt
16076 (emissions passed with flying colors)

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours

I called and stated this already, but be so safe and
careful guys!  We hope everyone will be safe and
everything will be ok!!!  You're definitely in my
prayers right now!

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 01:11:23 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: Coolant overflow bottle and sensor?

There were comments recently about adding a coolant overflow bottle and
level sensor.  Sounds like such a good idea I'll assume several have
done it, or found good reason not to.

I am considering moving my new metal coolant bottle forward toward the
coil to help make a bit more room for said bottle - all those opposed?

What volume bottle is required?  I assume that it's a factor of the
amount of overall coolant in the system?

If I do this I assume I now fill the metal bottle and half fill the
overflow bottle - yes?

How has anyone else chosen to integrate the low coolant light into their
cabin?

Any suggestions on a good late model car with a overflow bottle of the
right size that mounts well in the D?

I'm ready to head to the local junkyard to a=start shopping - just point
me the way.

Tom

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 03:41:13 EDT
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

k apparently, I have been somewhat misunderstood.

Matt wrote: "Is there anything I should do to tune the car for the lower
restriction. Is there any case against doing this?"

Now granted, he did ask "is there any case against doing this."  And  Mike, I
do agree when you say we should discuss the legal ramifications.

But c'mon people...  I'm not looking to step on any toes here,  but out of
the 16 posts I've counted in my inbox, only two of them had any  real technical
information.  The legalities have been discussed, it's  illegal.  And this has
been emphasized some 14 times.  Now is the time  for technical information,
in my opinion.

I, for one, would *like* to remove my cat someday, but I won't, despite
living in a state where vehicle inspections are nonexistent.  But just  because I
won't do it doesn't mean I don't wanna know how!

Catalytic removal has been kept "top secret," and this bothers me to  an
extent.  It's the one topic where you can hear the collective going  "Sssshhh!!"
whenever it's asked.  Our UK friends can freely talk about  it.  In a way, I'm
somewhat envious of that.

And I'm sure there's more of you out there who would also like to know the
procedure, the *technical* drawbacks, etc etc even if actually doing it is not
intended.  It's DeLorean related.  And it's information.  It  provides
insight to our cars, how they work, so on and so forth.

I'm glad that the others here are concerned about the legal ramifications,
and have warned us as such: don't misunderstand.  I just think we should
really turn back towards discussing the car, not the laws that may surround  it.

Regards,
William F.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:05:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Coolant overflow bottle and sensor?

Look for a late-80's/early 90's BMW 3 or 5 series - they use a
pressurized plastic water reservoir that has a level sensor built
into it. It's a little wider than the DMC unit.

This would have to *replace* the DMC coolant bottle - it's still
pressurized, and not an "overflow" bottle in the normal sense of
being on the de-pressurized side of the radiator cap.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:43:02 -0400
From: "Michael Substelny" <msubstel_at_dml_lorainccc.edu>
Subject: RE: Self-censorship and the DML

Ryan said:

>> This is silly. Nobody should censor what they
>> write because someone's spam filter might pick
>> it up. Instead, everyone should learn from your
>> experience and make sure they:
>>
>> 1. Understand their ISPs spam filtering features.
>> 2. Perform the appropriate modifications to ensure
>> DML mail gets past them.

With all due respect, it is NOT silly.  My email provider is my employer
and I have very little influence over their spam filter.  After the DML
was marked as a spammer I asked nicely and they unmarked it, but this
condition is not permanent.  If another message comes across the DML
that scores enough points on the spam scale (perhaps the word SE_IEST in
capital letters) my access will be cut off once again.

>> . . . people need to be given the option to disable
>> these things or alter their rulesets.

I do not have this luxury.  I have no control over the factors that get
an email address marked as a spammer, but the person sending the message
does control the content of that message.

It does not bother me to have the DML unmarked as a spammer; I realize I
need to do this now and then.  I wrote this message as a caution to
others: the language you choose for your messages may limit the number
of people who can receive it.

- Mike Substelny

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:33:39 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans

Weird as 00570,has a March 81 build,how can 570 be built before 502.
Of course vin 502 was built before 570,But was it a operator error(the
person that stamped the numbers on the vin plates),or was it done by
Computer(CNC)(a very primative one being 1981) making a mistake?As I
remember back then if you had a(any) computer with a 5 or therabouts
megabyte harddrive you were doing pretty good.Easy to overload with
such a big harddrive.

CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> Also in the "mystery" category: does anyone have an explanation as to

why VIN 502 has a VIN tag specifying "April 1981"?  The production
chronology says it is March, but I've seen it enough times to know
otherwise.  Were these early cars not built sequentially?  -And what
about the missing VINs early on?  As I understand, most of the early
production chronology (thanks Knut!) was taken from company records.
Does this indicate that some of these VINs (ex. 503, 504, 505) were
never used?

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 06:31:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Good luck riding out the storm.

Joey

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:05:01 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: More on Gold DeLorean Trip!

Carl the owner of the Gold Delorean just called and asked me a final
number on how many are coming.  So far I have about 10 or 11.  Carl
said approximate is ok.  Carl also wants to know how many are coming
because he mentioned about all of us going to the local Western Sizzlin
to get something to eat and he wants to give them a heads up of howm
any are coming.  And he knows someone with the newspaper and we might
have a reporter there doing a story on us! *Jumps for joy*

Also, in the next county over, Garrett County, there is supposedto be a
big car show called the Strut Your Stuff Shine and Show.  If anyone is
interested in going, I'll be glad to take you there.  It is about
another 30 minute drive west.  I'm going to check and make sure what is
going on out here, where and when.  Just an idea.

Did I miss anything?  Or anyone havew any more questions?

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:00:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If you want to get into the "nitty-gritty" of the mechanics of removal
it is pretty straightfoward. Probably the cheapest and easiest method
is to remove the cat and "gut" it. Easier than getting a pipe made up
with the necessary bends. Use a long piece of pipe and just poke the
innards until it is all broken up and comes out. Put it back with some
new clamps and nuts. Now, for the important part. What kind of
improvement can you expect? Not a whole lot. This engine package was
set up with the cat having a certain amount of backpressure. You will
gain "some" low end torque but not enough to make the effort worth the
trouble. If you are serious about improving the breathing of the motor
you need to work on the WHOLE exhaust system. The factory system is
rather restricive. It should all be replaced a la the DMC system being
offered. In fact even with the 2 cats it is probably a much better
set-up than the stock system. The results will still be limited by the
intake and the cams. Unless you go with "systemic" improvements you
gain little by upgrading of any one area. On my turbo car it has true
dual exhaust directly into individual mufflers. Without boost (under
around 2,500 RPM's) it runs like a stock, normally aspirated motor. It
has a little more oomph in 1st but the gearing is not right for the
higher low end torque and you "run out of gear" faster than you
should. Again, you will never get a whole lot by doing only 1 thing.
IMHO taking out a working catalytic converter is not worth the hassle
all by itself. Now if it is plugged up and you are weighing the cost
of a new one then it could be worth it.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:17:18 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Carcoon for a Delorean

You can still get the Carcoon from them in Europe. It is around $776.
varying daily because of exchange rates. They are recomending the #4
size, not the #5 size. Saves a little. Anyway, does anyone have one
and are they happy with it? Will the #4 be big enough? I am
considering getting the outside version. All comments requested.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:29:19 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

Sorry, nothing weird going on except thinking it could possibly
be operator error or computer error causing VIN plate "errors".

There were no VIN plates assigned by error by operator or computer.

There were several dozen cars that were being built simultaneously,
not sequentially, at the beginning of the production series.  You
can reference this in SSI and the Pennebaker documentary, as well
as in other documentation.  Early VIN plates were assigned to the
underbody/frames as they came off the underbody production line
and attached to frames, and cars were not completed sequentially.

Recent research may prove that many other 500 series cars were
completed well before VIN...502 was, and possibly before VIN...500.
There were two 500 series DeLoreans, one 5-speed and one automatic,
both delivered to the US for the Detroit Auto Show in January 81.
These two cars were shipped via 747 directly to Detroit to make
the January car show and neither were in the first dozen VIN's.

There is no evidence that any computers were used in the MANUAL
process of stamping VIN plates.  Just another false rumor.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:19:53 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Well thanks for the heads up Mike.  Me personally I know nothing about
computers, spam, and whatnot.  I just go to websites, type emails and if
something goes wrong...???????

Anyhow, I never thought I'd type something so controversial :P  LOL

Still....Se_y pics in that post :P

 ;)

Jeff

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:30:23 +0100
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Hi

I have added some details here of the Flap wheel:

The unit is in three parts;

1/	The Unit itself
2/	The Sanding flaps
3/	The Brushes

The Sanding flaps are extendable.
The Brushes are changeable

When I did my Delorean, the marks (gouges) were quite nasty on the doors and
front panel. I only used the sanding flaps and brushes that were supplied
and I did not have to extend the sanding flaps at all.

If you mean how many complete units you have to buy I would still be able to
get them for the price I paid. If you mean how spare flaps you have to buy
afterwards, They would be about ?15.00, I would think the condition of the
car would have to be terrible if you needed another set. There are other
people more expert about how you blend the panels. I needed the unit as I
had exhausted all the avenues in removing the deep gouges. It was case of
"if this does not work I will have to have them removed and sent away or buy
new panels".

I hope this helps

Regards

Kevin #5959
	#10163

Chris Nicholson (the Stainless Steel Guru) has used the same tool

If you email me at kevin_at_dml_kmilliken.com I will email some photos

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:13:43 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Thinking of selling my car

Have you had anyone estimate what it would cost to bring yours up to
the condition the "other one" is in? You may be suprised after all
the expenses it may be cheaper to keep her. Just a thought...

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:18:29 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

>> Why not just buy the DMCH exhaust with dual cats, or
>> the UK exhaust with the cat?
>>
>> You can improve the performance, and be moral.

Mainly because that $1500 i'd spend there is much better suited to going
for things I need for the car that I can't repair or fabricate myself. Plus I
don't see the need to pay someone else $1500 for something I can do
myself for about $300. Yeah it won't have cats, but as far as the headers..
the formula's for determining primary length and diameter aren't hard..
Plus I plan on tuning mine for more low end power range to better suit real
driving, something i've heard DMCH's exhaust doesn't really excell at.

Though if you'd like to 'donate' $1500 to me i'd be happy to buy DMCH's
exhaust and save myself some work.  :)

Chris
VIN# 3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/