Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2883
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:22 Sep 2005 20:56:00 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>

From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>

From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "Brian Williams" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

18. DMC (Texas) operating hours
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>

19. Re: Re: Thinking of selling my car
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Auto Trans Upper Shifting Quadrant
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Cat removal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. Hurricane Relief Donations by the DMC Owners
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Ball joint failure
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

24. Monster Garage, on Google.
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Ball joint failure
From: "Stephen M. Jones" <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless regraining

If you go to Delorean One and click on repair/body work there is a small picture of the tool.

http://www.deloreanone.com/repair.html

The tool I use is a Sand-O-Flex 350R. It looks exactly like the one in the picture. When you get to that point I have one to loan out. You pay the postage both ways and return it in good condition.

Qume Fox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net> wrote:
Can anyone tell me what exactly is required toolwise to regrain the
stainless on the Delorean? I'm asking this kinda in advance as i'm nowhere

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:27:12 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Glenn <green95gst_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> Chris
>>
>> As far as the EPA is concerned, you can't change anything on your

car

>> even if it makes the emissions cleaner without having it tested for
>> cleaner emissions. >
>> -Glenn

Well as I stated in one of my previous posts on this, the EPA /usually/
doesn't enforce their own rules unless its something major, like a shop
doing lots of cat removals and not being quiet about it, etc.

So like I said before, it really doesn't matter unless you have to deal
with emissions testing. And even if you do you simply won't pass if you
have your car tested with a test pipe or a non cat exhaust if the car
came with one, nothing else.

Chris
VIN# 3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:31:45 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Thinking of selling my car

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_y...>

--

You do know you could most likly fix everything that's wrong with your
car for alot less than just buying another one don't you?  Unless the

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:46:12 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that nobody really knows
anything about the mechanical consequences, negative or positive, or
removing a cat.  I will just rely on the UK guys to help me out.

Maybe I'll try one of those new cats from special T

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> k apparently, I have been somewhat misunderstood.
>>
>> Matt wrote: "Is there anything I should do to tune the car for the

lower

>> restriction. Is there any case against doing this?"
>>
>> Now granted, he did ask "is there any case against doing this."

And  Mike, I

>> do agree when you say we should discuss the legal ramifications.
>>
>> But c'mon people...  I'm not looking to step on any toes here,  but

out of

>> the 16 posts I've counted in my inbox, only two of them had any

real technical

>> information. >

been removed]

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:30:23 -0500
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Fanzilla Clone revisited

 Yesterday I recieved the unit that was available on ebay for only $80
 shipped.  The unit is from www.bakerelectronix.com .  I have no association
 with them but I wanted to give some info on the unit.  I have uploaded pics
 of the unit plus the instructions that come with the unit to the files
 section under 'Baker's Fan Fail Fix pics'  The instructions give a
 description of what the unit does and what parts it uses.  The unit also
 comes with a 1 year warranty.  I know a lot of people were wondering if it
 was a Fanzilla clone or maybe a clone of John Harvey's fan fail fix.  I
 haven't seen either of those two units so if someone who owns one of them
 could chime in, it may shed some light on which one its similar to.  I'll
be
 installing the unit this afternoon and I'll test it for a few weeks and
give
 some feedback on how well the unit works.

 Duke

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:49:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Another Colorado Car For Sale

While at the Colorado Conclave British Car show this weekend several people told me about a "D" for sale not too far from the show that has been sitting for 2-3 years. Well yesterday I went out and found it. The owner, Rex King bought the car new in early 1982 and has been a customer of PJ Grady for a long time. He even said Rob and his wife once came to visit him when they were out in Colorado to do some Skiing.

Vin 5405
Oct-81 Build
Gray Interior
5 Speed
Grooves No Flap
Antenna in rear
Non-Locking Gas cap for those of you tracking such things.
1st generation pull rings for the doors.
Over 100K miles according to the owner.
Actual mileage unknown due to several (4?) angle drive breaks over the years including currently.
The odometer reading is just over 64K.
One Owner Car
Asking Price: $16K Negotiable - I would negotiate hard!

The best I can say is this car is rough, it need a serious cleaning. Rex claims everything works but we did not drive or even start the car. Although he claimed that he starts and warms up the car regularly and when the weather looks bad he said he backs it into the garage. He had a newer Corvette in the garage along with a bunch of stuff so getting it in there in a hurry must be a neat magic trick.

The car has two small creases in the stainless (neither one is deep) on the passenger side, one of them is in the door.  Rex claims these were done in storage as the car has never been wrecked, and I would agree with that assessment. The driver side "toll" window glass has a big gash (scratch in the glass about the size of a fist) that he claims was there originally and he kept procrastinating when it came to getting the dealer to fix it. We all know the history what happened when he waited too long. The fascia's have been repainted poorly with incorrect colors. The interior is musty, the dash is cracked as is the binicle, the carpet needs cleaning/replacing, the seats were covered but Rex said that the drivers side was torn while the passenger side was still in good shape. The a-pillars were coming apart and all of the weather stripping needs to be replaced as do all of the gas struts. The headlines had been re-done in a very heavy (incorrect) material that was also the wrong color. I got the impression neither window motor was working well but did work. It also was missing the wipers and the plastic cowling under the wipers was hanging on his wall in the garage with missing fins. The windshield was cracked but Rex has a new OEM one in the original box in the garage.

I also noticed the boots on the steering rack were torn and it had aftermarket horns. The frame appeared to be in fine shape but it needs a closer inspection to be sure. The tires were mis-matched, Pirrelli's on the front BF Goodrich on the back. The front tires were cracked between the treads and need to be replaced. The engine looked fine and intact but I never did hear it run. It has a powder coated coolant bottle replacement for the original plastic one. I did not have my camera but I can make arrangements to look at it again and take some pictures if anyone is interested. One other item Rex was a bit proud of the fact the car had it original coolant still in the car??

This car is certainly at the opposite spectrum from Vin 6116.

Dan Haney
Vin 3254 "The Powerful Automatic!"

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:05:37 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Update from DMC (Texas)

DMC (Texas) will be closing at 11:00am CST on Thursday, September 22nd
and will re-open on Monday, September 26th at 8:00am, conditions
permitting.

Stay tuned to the DMCHelp.com forums for details. We'll either be
posting there, or Tony and the DMCF crew on our behalf.

Regards,

Stephen, James, Warren and the rest!

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:15:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fanzilla Clone revisited

Here is the link to Johns fan fix, I have one and it
works great.

Joey

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/fan-fix-position.jpg

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:19:39 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

They way it pulls the power from the battery looks like the Fan Fix
Dual 2 X 2.  But the way it turns one fan on at a time looks like
FanZilla.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:07:46 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean"
<denverdelorean_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I have pretty much come to the conclusion that nobody really knows
>> anything about the mechanical consequences, negative or positive, or
>> removing a cat.  I will just rely on the UK guys to help me out.
>>
>> Maybe I'll try one of those new cats from special T
>>
>> Matt
>> 16076

Well unless someone has an engine dyno and could measure
performance differences with and without the cat, pretty much all the
info that could be stated is purely speculative.  I'm going to try to have
my engine dyno'd when i'm done with it, but I won't have the time to do
alot of experimentation (changing exhaust systems, etc)  without having
to actually pay the shop's full price for the dyno time.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:17:19 -0500
From: Bob Brandys <BobB_at_dml_safety-epa.com>

Wan't the EU version w/o the Cat rated at 140 HP not 130 HP.

BOB

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:19:15 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

if you are willing to give up on your car so easily, then maybe this
isn't the car for you.  There are tons of cars out there that
are "better than mine"  but I also want to make my own car better
and better.  My car has a small ding in the left rear quarter, needs
a headliner recovering. needs a new drivers side mirror. ( the one
on there is no longer breakaway, but I would have to point out that
it is a repaired mirror)  The seats could use a recovering but have
no heavy wear.
All of these things are on my list to fix or return to like new
condition, but that is part of the draw.

Just fix your car.  Make it great!  you'll love it all that much
more when it is done!!

wrote:

>> I'm thinking of selling my car and need to know that if I do

decide

>> to sell it would anyone here want to buy it?
>>

>> I haven't made my mind up but need to know what to tell the seller

of

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:33:22 -0500
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Fanzilla Clone revisited

Hmmm.....maybe the best of both worlds?

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:40:15 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: AW: Power Mirror Switch

Elvis is correct - as long as you took it apart on purpose in the first
place! Most people make the mistake of prising u the ends to get it out
of the armrest without using the little notches (not present on early
cars) and when it does finally pop out, it comes apart and flings
several tiny springs and balls all over your interior and into the door.
Finding them is problem #1, then reassembly is a little difficult if you
didn't take it apart in the first place. See "defrost switch" <grin>

Martin

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:44:48 -0400
From: "Brian Williams" <contactjuggle_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Torsion adjustment

Hi Matt,

  I did the Torsion adjustment myself, and it wasn't difficult at all.  I
can see how you could break the window if you tool slips, but if you brace
it you'll be fine.  The proceedure from PJ Grady is elaborate and too much.
Here is the quick version:
  get a 6' long 2" diameter pipe, a 1/2 drive hex socket and extension bar
(hard to find, order online).  Put protective cloth over the stainless and
place a piece of wood across the back of the car to brace the extension bar
from slipping.
  Take off the black plasic piece covering the torsion plates, brace the
door open.  Mark with a marker which pin the gear is lined up with and the
outline of the plate to be able to line up the bolt holes again.  Get a
person on a ladder to hold the hex bolt in place and take the weight off of
the plate.  Take out the bolts, move the plate 2 clicks and put it back.  If
it sticks, give the socket bar a tap, spray with lube.
  If you look at it these directions make sense.  I'm a software engineer
(not a mechanic) and was able to do it, don't be too afraid of all the
warnings.  Best of luck!

~Brian

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:47:29 -0400
From: Michael Babb <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Thinking of selling my car

Matt,

Any interest in selling your broken drivers side mirror?  I am trying to
replace the glass on mine, and I am missing one of the small plastic
things that go between the plastic mirror backing (that gets screwed in)
and the mirror itself (to add to the rigidity) - currently driving
mirrorless on the passenger side as I try to find one of these.

Michael

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:55:41 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Ball joint failure

Traveling on the highway at speeds of 80+, and the passenger side
lower ball joint failed me right as I was pulling away from the stop
sign on the off ramp (swheeeeww). Lower arm hit and dragged on the
ground and the wheel went forward into the fender-cutting the tire up
but not blowing it out and only doing very minor damage to the fender.
I immediately pulled off to the side and jacked up the car to find the
ball joint nut and pin were no where to be found. Pulled the lower arm
back up and stuck my trusty 3mm air meter adjusting allen wrench in
the hole to hold the ball joint and drove 1 minute down the road to my
apartment. This could have failed me while I was going 80, and that
scares me so if you haven't looked at them in a while-CHECK YOUR BALL
JOINTS! -----Dani B., with #5003 still in one piece

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:55:21 -0400
From: "Marvin" <marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) operating hours

James:
In case you need a place for shelter, my sister lives in the west end of Houston off Dairy Ashford on higher ground. She is well prepared for the storm. She bought 6 bottles of Jack Daniels, 3 Southern Comforts, and 1 candle.

Hope you, yours, and your DeLorean team will be ok.
Marv.
# 17077
marv_at_dml_printeddrinkware.com

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:10:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sounds like Josh is just a little burned out.  I know
the feeling; I've thought about selling my car a
couple times, but everytime I fix something or make
something better; it makes me realize how much I'd
miss what I really enjoy doing - making my car better.
 I think he just needs a owner or two to help him out
and kind of "rekindle" the fire so to speak.  I know
Casey has done that for me a number of times - most of
the time he doesn't even know it, but the time he and
I share working on my car and "prissing" his car up
(that thing NEVER has anything wrong with it I swear
=P) means alot to me.  I'm sure alot of you in the
Midwest and New England area with very active clubs
can vouch for that.  Sometimes you just need
fellowship with others who love the car, and that can
be very hard to keep going if you're by yourself
hitting what seems like one deadend after another.

Josh, do what you need to do, but don't make a rush
decision.  One car may have more or less work than
another - ESPECIALLY with DeLoreans.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:05:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Auto Trans Upper Shifting Quadrant

Hey there everyone.  Recently, I was fortunate enough
to run into Darryl Givens - a gentleman who recently
converted his auto to 5-speed - and was very fortunate
to obtain the upper and lower shifting quadrant, gear
indicator, and quadrant slide for a very reasonable
sum.  Well, I took my old, brittle, cracked, chunk
missing, warped quadrant assembly out, and installed
the new one.  WOW.  What a difference!  For anyone who
is interested, I photo-documented this repair at
http://tinyurl.com/cfu3q.  Thought some of you would
like to see it.  I swear, soon I'm just going to make
a website with all my repair work like Dave Stragand
did.  I love working on my car =D!!!  Anyhoo, everyone
enjoy!

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:25:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Actually the car should be dynoed before you make any changes so you
know how much improvement each change makes. The "best bang for the
buck" is going to be the simple stuff like new spark plugs, ignition
wires, vacuum hoses, distributer cap and rotor, valve adjustment, new
air filter and so on. In fact all of this should be done even before
the first dyno test. On the last dyno test you can fuss with the fuel
mixture and ignition timming. More important than horsepower is the
torque curve and how it relates to the gearing and shift points. As
you can see just messing with the catalytic converter is only 1 piece
of the puzzle. You are correct about the dyno, without actual dyno
runs all other observations are subjective and hard to repeat. Another
reason why going this route is expensive.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:14:40 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Hurricane Relief Donations by the DMC Owners

I just got an idea.  If there was a way we could do it, and osmeone was
willing to get lots of mail with checks.  Set up a bank account you
could deposit money into and we all mail even just a little bit to this
person.  Then, when the total gets up, take all the money together and
donate it to the Red Cross for the Hurricane Relief Fund on behalf of
DeLorean Owners of the World?

Just an idea.  What do you all think?

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:07:57 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Ball joint failure

Hi

Same exact thing has happened to me in 6149 last sunday. I was driving a
highway speeds and then right after I slowed down and got onto a surface
street the lower ball joint on the passenger side has failed on me. The two
parts of the joint came apart. At this moment I was going very slowly...
first gear. Do our cars know just when to fail? The only damage on my car
was done by the lower control arm scraping the sh#$^% of my newly powder
coated rims.... auch. No damage to tire.
The reason for this was that the ball joint was completly dry inside - not
even a trace of grease. The ball joint was about two years old, with about
5k miles on it. It was NOT from one of the vendors.... I got it locally
because I didn't want to wait for the parts.
There was some indication of this coming. One day before it happened the
steering started to get really stiff. It was progressively harder and harder
to turn the wheel. I wanted to inspect the steering when I get home... not
on sunday at my girlfriends. I didn't make it home  :)
I agree CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS - the question is HOW? The one that failed
looked perfectly normal.... until it came apart.
BTW, there was no way to lube the joint.

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl -> www.deloreana.com
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 13:33:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Monster Garage, on Google.

Google has been indexing TV shows for a while now,
based on the closed caption.  Along with the text of
the program (you can search it), they also have random
screen shots of the show.

Amusing..

http://video.google.com/videopreview?docid=5748215339657412716

It seems to only display 5 segments at a time, but you
can search the entire show for various terms.  A few I
tried are "Rick", "Rich", "Don", "DeLorean", "Frank",
"hover".

I dont see any way to display the entire program.   :(

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 14:47:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Stephen M. Jones" <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

Dani -

I don't think there has ever been a case of a lower ball joint going at
high speeds.. its always been from turning from a stop, which is when
you'd have the most stress on part.  My left hand side went at about
4:30 in the morning in a grocery store parking lot.  fortunately it only
kicked out the lower end of the tire and did no damage to anything else.

I ordered two new parts from DMC houston and had the car taken to a shop
that morning.

Its very scary to have this happen and I'm glad you were safe.

I believe the first reports of lower ball joints going was around 1989
and there was a minor panic .. I'm not exactly sure about this, but I
believe there are two versions of the balljoint and castle nut.  The
weaker one having a tapered shaft.

>> the hole to hold the ball joint and drove 1 minute down the road to my
>> apartment. This could have failed me while I was going 80, and that
>> scares me so if you haven't looked at them in a while-CHECK YOUR BALL
>> JOINTS! -----Dani B., with #5003 still in one piece

You are so brave! I used a flatbed ..

Stephen #2533