Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2885
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:23 Sep 2005 14:07:03 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Re: Fanzilla Clone revisited
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: Ball joint failure
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

3. Attention DeLoreans Owners Coming to See Gold DeLorean!
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Cat Remvoval
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Stainless regraining
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Power Mirror Switch
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

7. RE: My Delorean to be on VH1 and in the theaters!!
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

8. SS water return pipe
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Ball joint failure
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Subject: Another Colorado Car For Sale
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

11. Re: (Texas) Operating Hours
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: Totaled DeLorean
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

13. RE: Re: Fanzilla Clone revisited
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

14. battery voltage loss
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Cat removal
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

16. Re: battery voltage loss
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

17. RE: battery voltage loss
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Port of Everett / Marine View Drive
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Cat removal
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

20. Re: Cat removal
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

21. Re: My Delorean to be on VH1 and in the theaters!!
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

22. Re: High-performance radiator fans
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

23. Re: My Delorean to be on VH1 and in the theaters!!
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

24. Re: Car Cover (cheap)
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

25. Fanzilla Clones
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:31:55 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Fanzilla Clone revisited

Matt, As you know The Fan Fix is built by a Delorean vendor, supported by a
Delorean vendor and used by a Delorean vendor.
Delorean Vendor.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:16:53 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Ball joint failure

Except in the case of my Donor car,Which was a Brand New Delorean(one
month old)So wear and tear(age) had nothing to do with it,from what I
was told,when I was trying to see about trying to make it Legal to
register(title)when I called Mass MVD(1983)they knew the car,and said
that the Insurance company told them to destroy the title(and one vin
tag,was turned in,(the dash one)and at the time gave me the name of
the insurance company that insured the Delorean,and they gave me the
full story on the car,and the investigation,which determined that it
was a Ball joint failure at high speed,and since there was a fatality,
(not in the Delorean,but the car it hit head on)they wanted to make
sure that that particular Delorean never saw the highways again as a
driving car.(they did not like the multi-million dollar payoff to the
other party)Also the info was given to DMC,which if I remember right
had to do with using the wrong nut on the ball joint,or something
like that,but had to do with either the nut fracturing or ball joint
slipped off the nut(it was so long ago)Anyway from looking at the
remains of the suspension(when i owned it)and the way the nose was
shred off,I would have had to agree with the insurance
company.Outside of the damage at the time the car was super clean,and
if you ever sat in a "Brand New" Delorean it had that new smell,that
I have NEVER smelled in any car but a Delorean,(and has forever stuck
in my head)I have sat in used Deloreans,low mileage Deloreans,but
none have ever held that new "Delorean freshness",that was one of the
reasons, why I wanted to restore it.The NICE part was when I took it
apart,all rivitnuts came off with EASE,(no snappers or spinners)all
bolts were pristine,things unglued with ease,IT WAS actually a
pleasure to dissemble(sad but pleasurable)If you have ever taken
apart a new car(any car) you will know what I am talking about.Then
to lift off the Black body,and see a NEW Mint frame(damaged but Mint)
is something to behold(instead of the shock of seeing a rotted
frame,as with what happens to most people when lifting off a black
body)I had put a date on the frame with a black marker,I think
11/11/83 or 84,which could have made me one of the first private
persons to lift a body off a DMC.
Anyway someone STATED how I acquired so many Parts,that is Simple,I
started with Deloreans in 1982,I always scanned papers for Delorean
parts,I put adds in for "Delorean parts wanted",people would see my
adds and if they were ANYWHERE in New England,I would drive and
check/buy their stuff,over the years I saw MANY Burnt Deloreans,some
just bales of Fiberglass "hair",some "Hail cars",with hail "bumps"
all over the SS( both wanted to much)underwater ("D") cars,Shells,
strippers,and of course the ones I bought(one was only 2 blocks from
me at a used car dealership a red Delorean)some as far away as
Rockford Ill.In fact I had even gotten a call from someone in the
shoreline area of Connecticut,that had a TAN interior sliding windows
car,which like a idiot I never went to see,but talked to the owner on
the phone for awhile,and he claimed it "came that way"(this was about
1985-86)Which in the late 1990's a friend on Vacation in New
Hampshire claimed he actually,found one on a trailer(and looked at it)
in someones back yard,that again had sliding windows,but could not
remember the interior color,in a little hick town,called Bennington
or something like that,again didn't check that one either.Who knows,I
found a Few Deloreans,by pure accident,that is how I came across
00570. Please check out a web site called "carsinbarns" and you will
know EXACTLY what I am talking about.Some of the most prized cars are
there just waiting to be discovered and restored.Who knows what YOU
might discover,by accident.Vin 501? who knows.
CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Stephen M. Jones" <smj_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Dani -
>>
>> I don't think there has ever been a case of a lower ball joint

going at

>> high speeds.. its always been from turning from a stop, which is

when

>> you'd have the most stress on part.  My left hand side went at about
>> 4:30 in the morning in a grocery store parking lot.  fortunately it

only

>> kicked out the lower end of the tire and did no damage to anything

else.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:19:58 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Attention DeLoreans Owners Coming to See Gold DeLorean!

I just got off the phone with Carl and he wants to know exactly how
many Deloreans are actually coming.  Because he would like to get some
publicity for us if there are a bunch coming.  I'm not sure who is
bringing what; unless you told me.  I just know who said, "yes," to
coming.  Can you all e-mail me at jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com and let me
know if you are bringing your DeLorean.  Carl really wants to know.

Thank you all,
Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:43:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cat Remvoval

I have a cat on my car #05732 but when it took it to
Rob for it's first 200 point check back in 1998 it was
discovered that it was hollow.

We don't have smog testing here in Maine so my options
were to replace it or leave it along.  I choose not to
spend the money and have left it as it.

How it got hollow?  I don't know.  It looks stock but
isn't doing anything.  Not sure if I'm getting any
backpressure from it being hollow????

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:25:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Stainless regraining

You do use a drill. The Sand-O-Flex mounts in it. Either air or electric. The one in the picture is mounted in an air unit.

denverdelorean <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
Is there some reason why a drill can't be used?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Shepherd wrote:

>> If you go to Delorean One and click on repair/body work there is a

small picture of the tool.

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:53:35 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Power Mirror Switch

Why are we replying to posts that are 2 years old?  :)

-------->

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:43:35 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: My Delorean to be on VH1 and in the theaters!!

The Commercial on VH1 with my DMC is now airing as of Saturday 9/17/05!  My
car can been seen in the last 8 seconds of the commercial.

Originally I was told this spot was going to be for use in movie theatres,
but it is being shown on VH1 to promote the upcoming "I love the 80's Part
III (in 3D)"  I was given consent to put the spot on the Mid-Atlantic Club
Website for everyone to see.  (I am still waiting for the Corey Feldman spot
to air)

The video is about can be seen at:
6mb Download:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/love80s/ilove80s3.wmv
7mb Download:
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/love80s/ilove80s3.mpg
21mb Download (High Res MPEG2):
http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/scrapbook/love80s/ilove80s3dvd.zip

Enjoy!

Kevin Abato
Vin# 16680

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:20:43 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: SS water return pipe

I am thinking, if the pipe is stainless and the block is AL then when the
coolant conduct and make a battery? And then eat the block from the
inside????
Charles 16835

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:22:41 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Aaahhh, it was the sign of things to come for me, just bought my 2nd
Delorean in Atlanta (had sellers remorse when I sold the first one),
had it checked out at a mechanic before I flew up and got it, drove it
back to Florida 500 miles.  Pulled up in front of the house, had my
wife and kids come out to see it, gave my wife the keys and
said "let's go for a ride".  We went a foot and the passenger lower
ball joint broke (which I of course blamed on her).  I was just on the
interstate 5 minutes before, and would have been on a major road 5
minutes later.  The only good thing that came of it was that my wife
decided she'd never drive it  :)   I got them all replaced, then had to
get them replaced a year later, they were dry.  I remember reading
somewhere that there were some available that solved this problem,
anyone know where to get them?  As I said, the ball joint breaking was
an omen, thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars later it
runs great, not many original parts on it.  BUT, kids tuition and a
new car payment (totalled my Avalon on the interstate) force me to
sell it, don't really have the money for a toy car anymore.  Hate to
do it, planned on keeping it for a long long time, that's why I bought
another.  If I can't sell it I might be forced to keep it, which isn't
necessarily a bad thing either.  But DEFINATELY get the ball joints
checked or just replace them, the money is the best money you'll ever
spend.  For example, your hospital insurance co-pay is probably
$100/day, and assuming you live after having it break at 60 mph,
you'll spend alot more on hospital bills than the cost of the ball
joints.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Uh Oh, it may just be time for everyone to replace the balljoints,

they

>> are 25 years old at least, who knows how long they were at the

factory

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:25:00 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Subject: Another Colorado Car For Sale

It sounds to me like that car may be worth 5 grand.

Dē & 6530

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:07:31 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: (Texas) Operating Hours

I've moved to higher ground, but the D couldn't make the trip. I left
yesterday afternoon, and I am so glad. A four hour trip was eleven hours and
my left leg would be bigger than Paul Bunyan's if I had driven the D.
Here's hoping the garage door braces hold and the neighborhood drains do
their duty.
My home is about 30 miles north and a little east of Galveston. I'm not sure
what to expect, but I'm praying for the best.
-Kevin

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:16:25 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Totaled DeLorean

Josh,

Don't feel to bad,From a previous post,the owner of that car posted he
said,it needed a frame,anyway,so if the insurance is going to pay full
value,he will have all funds,TO make it even better,than before the
floods. win-win for him.And or also,Just as long as he also had flood
ins. on the house.
which is (sic) more important.

Cbl
 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Who's car is the totaled one in the photo section? I almost cried

when

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:41:12 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

Hey Guys,

I'm a bit late on this discussion but I used the Special T Auto Fan Fix Dual
2X2 in my former car.
Personally I loved it.  Once, I used it I never had any trouble from the
system again.  Plugs right in and no worries.

I also liked how it turned the "Cooling Fan Fail" light on when the fans
activate.  Let me know they were workin'.

Jeff in NC

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:07:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: battery voltage loss

If I leave my car parked for a few days my battery
draws all the way down. I originally thought it was my
door light switch as the light was staying on if I did
not get the door closed really solid. I adjusted the
switch and the light was going out. Problem is my
battery still has a slow draw somewhere. Any thoughts
on what to check first?

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 01:42:25 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

So it's not financially or environmentally moral to have a
Delorean???  Maybe, maybe not, on the financial side, but definately
better on the environmental side.  From a financial perspective, if
you keep it in your garage and just look at it, then it may not make
financial sense (some of us do this, some use as a daily driver).
But if you drive it at all, over the course of your ownership, any
miles you put on the Delorean you are not putting on another car, so
over time it MAY make sense when compared to a $40,000 Lexus, may
not make sense when compared to a $15,000 Saturn.  But to make a
blanket statement that it doesn't make financial sense is wrong.  I
drive mine 65 miles each way to work, probably 4 days a week. Over
time it should make financial sense (unfortunately it's not from a
short term perspective which I'm focusing on right now given some
other more immediate needs for the cash).  From an environmental
perspective it's definately better to buy a 1981 Delorean and drive
it than order a 2005 Ford.  The amount of resources necessary to
produce a new car is relatively MUCH higher, including the electric
usage in the factory, the gas usage in transport, the use of raw
materials in the manufacturing process, etc etc etc, with a used car
the resources needed are minimal.  Think of buying a used car as
recycling.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean"

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:09:45 -0700
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>
Subject: Re: battery voltage loss

I just disconnected my power locks at the recommendation of others.
I don't like to commute in my car so I drive it a lot less than I used
and I've had two batteries go down .. something that would work for
me is to install a battery cut off.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:15:53 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Brian, How is the alternator doing. If there is a problem in it, that would
be one place.

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 03:25:17 -0000
From: "Christian Jarzab" <ccjarzab_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Port of Everett / Marine View Drive

9/22/05  2:30pm   D spotted on I-5 South exiting on Marine View Drive
(30 miles N of Seattle).   Really nice car!!   Are you on this list?

Christian

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 03:56:23 -0000
From: "Matt Spittle" <supermatty_at_dml_psu.edu>

Don't forget, if every car was stainless steel, the environment would
see far fewer paint fumes.

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:18:34 -0500
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

See my previous posts about removing the cat.  Doing so increases
emissions, and adds no performance (and may even hinder it).  Just
because you can't see the extra pollution doesn't mean it isn't there,
and backpressure is part of the overall exhaust tuning.

The only reason to remove the cat is due to malfunction...and then,
only to replace it.  If someone has a dyno test that demonstrates a
measureable improvement in performance by increasing pollutants, I'd
like to see it.

If you want to pollute more, that is your choice.  I just don't think
there's a point.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:32:59 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Nice commercial!  Nice looking D you've got there too.  I was
expecting Corey Feldman to jump out too... be sure to post that for
us when that one airs too.

-Patrick C.
1880  (Jealous it isn't a VH1 star like 16680)

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:50:34 -0500
From: Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: High-performance radiator fans

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot
make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who
consider price only are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:46:27 -0400
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

Kevin:

Great show of your car.  According to the buildings and the surrounding
area, it is the Soho and Tribecca Area, just five to six blocks from
where I live.  If I would of known the day and the time of the filming,
I would have been there just to see you. Anyway, that was some months
ago on a Saturday in the summer..... If do I remember correctly......
Again it is a great filming of your car...... Luv it!!!

 Kayo Ong
 Lic 9D NY

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:57:46 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Car Cover (cheap)

In a message dated 9/21/2005 9:16:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:
condensation must have formed on the car and
froze the material to the paint, this could happen with any type of material
so you can't really blame the car cover.
This would have happened to any materal.
You need a carcoon...or a friggin garage!>>

You might be right. Maybe I can get my son's '55 BelAir out in the cold for
once, and put the D in the garage.   ;-)
Wayne

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 05:05:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fanzilla Clones

Has anyone heard from Bob Zilla?   Seem like the Zilla line has disappeared from the radar except for whatever stock vendors had on hand.   Do any vendors still have Zilla products and are they still being made?

I have found that some electrical stuff I have bought from other vendors does not work on my car and since I have attempted to install it chances are I'm pretty sure a refund is out of the question.  I am now very wary of new electrical item products.   You need the support to back up the product.  The Zilla line that Rob and other vendors sell and Toby's stuff is tested and proven.  I know they are in competition with each other but I would go with these folks stuff over anything else.  IMHO.