Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2887
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:24 Sep 2005 17:31:48 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Cooling fans
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

2. Re: Ball joint failure
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. Steering rack boot installation
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

4. RE: My Delorean to be on VH1 and in the theaters!!
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>

5. Re: Cat removal
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Time Machine at Pigeon Forge
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: battery voltage loss
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

8. Painting the intake manifold
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

9. linear door lock actuators
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

10. Turbo
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Digest Number 2885
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

12. Shocks
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: *** SS water return pipe = Battery ***
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Cat removal + K&N
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

15. This one for sale again? or still?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans
From: "internets_99" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>

17. Totalled for sale
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Gold DeLorean Trip! See you in the morning!
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Arkansas DMC for sale
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Ball joint failure
From: "gklee01" <gklee01_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Legend 501 or 558?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Florida Clubs
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

23. RE: Re: Cooling fans
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

24. RE: Shocks
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. Re: Cat removal
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:44:40 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling fans

I just discovered that one of my cooling fan blades seperated from the
cooling fan motor shaft.  The blade was just sitting there lodged against
the radiator.  There was no damage caused by the fan to the radiator
luckily.  I tried, unsuccessfully, to pop the blade back to the motor shaft.
Has anyone ever had this happen?  It looks like a heck of a procedure to
replace a fan motor.  I'd really hate to have to remove the radiator to do
this.  Any suggestions???  Thanks yall.

Lingo #2034

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:03:59 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ball joint failure

On 9/23/05, ctdmc83 <nmastrocinque_at_dml_sikorsky.com> wrote:

>> OK Gentlemen-
>>
>> I'm convinced.  Can anyone recommend the "toby-tab" EQUIVALENT of
>> ball joints?  I want the best, period.  No compromises.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> NM

I'd like to hear the answer to this, too. I already have some front
suspension work to do and might as well do the ball joints while I'm
at it.

Mine are almost certainly original. If they could last 25 years, I'm
not going to settle for new ones that have to be replaced in 3. Who
sells ball joints that should last me another 25 years?

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 09:06:39 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Steering rack boot installation

I'll be installing some new steering rack boots soon. My old boots are torn.

Do I need to do any greasing? If so, what type of grease and where to
put it (inside the boot, on the steering parts they cover)?

Otherwise, it looks like a simple enough matter of just pulling the
old ones and sliding the new ones on. Is there anything else I should
know?

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:12:44 -0400
From: Kevin Abato <delorean_at_dml_abato.net>
Subject: RE: My Delorean to be on VH1 and in the theaters!!

LOL...actually...Yes.  It was my head in the driver seat.

They were VERY picky about me not having my hand on the shifter or center
column for the shots where the car pulls up, but my head made the final cut.
We did that drive away shot about 12 times!

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:57:39 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

www.stainless-exhaust.com  Special features section.  This
illustrates thier custom delorean exhaust and shows dyno sheets with
catalysed, and non catalysed versions.  Granted, this is on a
performance exhaust, but the idea is the same.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Stephen Schlachter <gus_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> See my previous posts about removing the cat.  Doing so increases
>> emissions, and adds no performance (and may even hinder it).  Just
>> because you can't see the extra pollution doesn't mean it isn't

there,

>> and backpressure is part of the overall exhaust tuning.
>>
>> The only reason to remove the cat is due to malfunction...and

then,

>> only to replace it.  If someone has a dyno test that demonstrates

>> measureable improvement in performance by increasing pollutants,

I'd

>> like to see it.
>>
>> If you want to pollute more, that is your choice.  I just don't

think

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:24:52 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Time Machine at Pigeon Forge

Hey, there was a dude at Pigeon Forge who had a Time Machine replica that he
made out of plywood, and parts he got from home depot.
He said he could put it together in 10 minutes.
Is he on this list or does anyone know who he is?
I am making an archive of everyone I know who has made a time machine
replica.
So far I have:

Bob Brandys
Dan Botkin
Gary Weaver
George Barris
Mark Shields
Oliver Hollar
Rich W.
Ryder Davis
Scott Dorlaque

I know there are many more but I don't thier names.
If you are one of these people, or one of the people not mentioned, or know
one of them
please let me know.
I am putting together a photo archive and list of all who have done the
conversion
on my website - http://www.bttfstuff.com

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:46:03 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: battery voltage loss

Climb into your car with flashlight and a multimeter.

With everything off and the doors shut pull one fuse at a time and put your
meter across the fuse terminals with the meter set to measure amps.  Then
adjust the meter to measure milliamps.  In this way you will be able to find out
what circuit is drawing power when the key is off.

Yes the door lock module does have a standby current draw of about 12
milliamps if I remember correctly.  There is a modification that can reduce this to
about 1 mA but I think your battery would have to be pretty bad for that amount
of current to matter over a weeks time.

If you need more help contact me.

Dē & 6530
Dave Delman

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:58:12 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Painting the intake manifold

I'm looking at painting my intake manifold and valve covers to spruce up the look of the engine a little bit.  However I'm not sure what paint to use.  I've found a couple posts in the archives about using hi-temp paint only to have it burn away in a few minutes.  But this could be for a number of reasons like improper preparation, etc.  Anyone have any experience with this?  If so what paint did you use?  Any special preparation?

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:25:25 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: linear door lock actuators

Hey all.

I saw in one the the recent All electronics flyers I got that they had a supply
of automotive linear door lock actuators for $5.50 each.

I know DPNW's door actuator kits have allready had all the engineering
work done and just bolt on, but if you like doing things yourself, you can't
really beat the price so I thought i'd share.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?
category=search&item=DLA-1&type=store

Chris
VIN# 3209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean/

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:48:31 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Turbo

Anyone know what psi the island kit runs?  Is it safe to run up to
9lbs of boost?  I am doing research for a custom turbo setup. I am
going to have a Japanese Import shop look at it.  They seem interested.

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:58:30 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2885

denverdelorean wrote:

"I am a young, lone wolf owner myself, and have 2 classic, finicky cars that get 98% of their maintenance from yours truly.

and he also wrote:

P.S. The two cars are the D' and a 69 Dodge Charger. Both cars are not well known for their bullet proof electrical, but I manage"

There is no need to be  a "lone wolf" in the Denver/Colorado area. I have been trying to get together as many owners as possible as an informal group. Brandon is a good mechanic and I usually can figure out how to get most jobs done.

We had 4 cars at the 20th Anniversary showing of BTTF. I am in consistent contact with several owners now. Plus the owners of the cars for sale, that I have written about recently, are interested in staying in contact. In fact both have said if there is more of a community feel they may keep and drive their cars!

As a bonus, I can even help with the 69 Charger, the first car I ever drove, worked on, lost my innocence in was a 68 Charger R/T. I know the brakes inside out and at one time could tune it to perfection by ear. When your 16 in the late 70's with a monster at your command you tend to burn up brakes so I had to rebuild them every summer. There really is no sweeter sound than a 440 magnum with glass packs and headers!

Have a great weekend!

Dan Haney

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:01:42 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Shocks

After looking at the crazy price of the performance shocks for the
Delorean at either site, I'm wondering if there are any more cost
effective Shocks that could be used with the Eibach Spring set.
Anybody have any ideas?

Dale Funk
Vin #4984

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:32:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: *** SS water return pipe = Battery ***

I am also curious about the reaction between AL and
stainless...When I replaced the water pump in my 89
camaro about a year and a half ago, the bolts were
eaten away and I wanted to replace them with new bolts
that would last forever(stainless) but I was told not
to because a reaction between stainless and AL creates
a charge, so I got some regular bolts.
I also thought of that when I herd about the stainless
overflow bottle... Can someone explain?
Jon Minor(no vin)

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:53:08 +0200
From: "Tom" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Cat removal + K&N

Great post Stephen! Now I'm not the only one to realize that removing the
cat will not give you more power. What it does is make the car a bit louder
and because of that it 'feels' like it has more power.
How about 3% increase in HP from using a K&N filter? Can anyone feel the
difference? The K&N makes the engine run louder and that makes it 'feel'
like it's more powerful.
BTW, anyone who is still using K&N in their DeLorean should check out the
tech section of the DMC News site and follow a link that discusses the
difference between different filters. In short K&N will pass 18 times more
dirt than AC Delco... amazing

Tom Niemczewski
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl -> www.deloreana.com
VIN 6149 (in Poland!)

From: "Stephen Schlachter" <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:51:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: This one for sale again? or still?

http://www.customlimos.com/sale_delorean.htm

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:04:59 -0000
From: "internets_99" <chris_at_dml_internets.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Legend Turbo Deloreans

>> Weird as 00570,has a March 81 build,how can 570 be built before 502.

Check out PJ Grady Europe (www.pjgrady.co.uk) which has a lot of
unseen information on the  Legend cars, pre production and other rare
cars. Also catch up on Vin 570's extensive restoration
http://tinyurl.com/9w4bu

Regards

Chris Spratt

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:11:23 -0500
From: Jeff Phillips <rvparty_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Totalled for sale

Anyone interested in purchasing the totalled DeLorean please email me
offline at jmanis2(at)yahoo.com to make an offer. I don't have a lot of time
to haggle as I'm in the process of getting hired out in Germany and moving
in the next 20 days. I also am not sure what a good value is for this car
given its condition but I'm positive its still worth a few thousand, else
I'll be parting it out. The car is now located in central Kentucky. Thanks
 Thanks
Jeff

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:38:59 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Gold DeLorean Trip! See you in the morning!

Well everyone, I'm signing off for the night.  I will see you tomorrow
morning at the Sideling Hill Rest Area/Exhibition Center at 10:00AM.
Have a safe trip getting here!

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:44:29 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Arkansas DMC for sale

I just got back from looking at the car that I was thinking about
buying which is the one from Little Rock, the DMCNEWS site. They let
me drive down the main street and give it gas. It heaven, my first
DeLorean to drive. They want $15900 for it and from what I can see
it is worth that or more. There are two very small dings in the
bonnet and pass. door. Repairable for sure and there are scratches
where the oeners braclets rubbed the car but repairable. They told
me that some DeLorean people had contacted them about it. I would
buy it. Interior is awsome except for one very small spot that is
covered by the floor mat. The fascias are glossy black and need a
repainted, the front has "The Rock" eye brow look to it. Ac works
and is cold.

I love this car. I was drooling over the car. Some advice for you
guys that take their cars to shows, if there is a drool spot on it,
I'm sorry. I can't help it.

I've decided to keep my car mostly due to the car in LR won't last
long. The owners had 10 calls in the hour that I was there about the
car.

Josh

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:05:44 -0000
From: "gklee01" <gklee01_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Can someone explain what I should check or look for to see if I need
to replace these?  The reason I ask is because the steering on my car
has been shaky...it pulls to the left and right...it's hard to keep it
in a straight line. It seems a bit unstable on gradual turns on the
freeway and I was told I might need to re-grease the ball joints...

>> apartment. This could have failed me while I was going 80, and that
>> scares me so if you haven't looked at them in a while-CHECK YOUR

BALL

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:09:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Legend 501 or 558?

After the recent discussion, I sent a note off to Fred
Dellis who responded, "I need to check my records
regarding 501 & 558. I do remember 501 not 558."

If I get any update on this, I will share it with the
group.

Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 00:10:10 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Florida Clubs

Are there any clubs in Florida?

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:12:38 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Cooling fans

Robert, You might be able to get the cowling off with out removing the
radiator, but it won't be easy. If the motor shaft hasn't walled out the
aluminum insert in the fan blade, then you will just have to keep trying and
then replace the keeper clip.

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:17:27 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Shocks

Dale, If your not in a big hurry, I'm working on shocks and springs.

Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:00:37 -0000
From: "denverdelorean" <denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

There is no practical reason to own a DeLorean.  Thats why I own one.