Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2890
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:25 Sep 2005 21:45:49 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. tire rubbing?
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>

2. Gold DeLorean Trip Thank You
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. DMC (Texas) Hurricane Rita Update...
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 12:06:28 -0400
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>
Subject: tire rubbing?

I'm having a problem that concerns me quite a bit. Every now and then for the past few months when turning to the left while going over a bump I would hear a brief scraping sound. Last night while parking I had to muscle the steering wheel quite a bit while not moving to fit into a tight spot. When I left that spot a few hours later I noticed that the scraping sound was much more prominent, happening only at one particular orientation of the front wheels. Got out and took a look, and I see that my right front tire is rubbing the front of the fender well, when wheel is turned to that orientation! Doesn't rub during normal straight-ahead driving, but most noticeable when turning slightly left. This can't be good.
Thinking of the recent thread on this list on tie-rod ends and the statement there that the steering  gear is under the greatest stress during the specific maneuver I did while parking, it makes me think something deformed. Car handled fine for the 60 mile ride back home (tho I was a bit nervous), no change from the usual, which I have always been very happy with. But can't reconcile this with the fact that the front of my tire now scrapes the wheel well. I'm about to go out and put it up on the ramps to take a look. Any suggestions on where to look, where such a deformation might be localized?

Peter Cameron

Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:14:33 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Gold DeLorean Trip Thank You

I would like to thank everyone who participated in the trip yesterday
to see the Gold DeLorean in Western Maryland.  I hope you all had a
good time.  I did except for the fact that my DeLorean's doors
decided to quit on me that morning.  But it happens; right?  I know
Carl had a good time as well.  I spoke with him this morning and he
was very happy about how things went.  I did mention to him that
maybe we all could do this again sometime, and he said, "sure."  I
don't know if he told all of you this, but next year for Eurofest, a
group of people are coming to his house to load of the Gold DeLorean
into a huge box and ship it over there for the festival.  I said to
Carl that maybe we all could come and "bid the car farewell?"  How
does that sound?  It is supposed to be early May they get it I
believe.  Right before DCS '06; how about that?

Again I would like to thank everyone who made it out to Western
Maryland yesterday to go see the Gold DeLorean!  Hope to see you all
again soon!

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:56:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) Hurricane Rita Update...

DMC (Texas) (and most of the greater Hosuton area) were largely unscathed by Hurriance Rita, and we experienced no damage whatsoever to our building or our inventory of new, reproduction and new old stock (NOS) DeLorean parts. At the time the facility is running on backup power for essential services (alarm and other security).

MOnday, September 26th, we will be open at 8:00am and expect it to be more or less "business as usual". Online orders have been unaffected and phones will be operating as well tomorrow and we'll be taking and shipping orders and working on and delivering cars.

Thanks to all who expressed concern for the well-being of our staff, we look forward to serving your DeLorean parts needs!

Stephen, James, Warren and the rest!

DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA