Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2893
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:27 Sep 2005 01:39:30 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Car spotted at shop in Bowling Green, KY
From: "Charlesdos Mavor" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Variations of the original big Sales Brochure?
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

3. Re: Cat removal
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Fanzilla Clones
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Door Lock Module Upgrade
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:20:52 -0000
From: "Charlesdos Mavor" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Car spotted at shop in Bowling Green, KY

I was at a tire store today and I thought I heard someone say
delorean, but blew it off. Then I see a guy packing DMC wheels in the
shop. Seems the car is getting worked on at a local shop, anybody
here? If so, I would like to get together to tech talk or what ever. I
have a 10 car shop, lift, A/C and a good D myself. My car would love
to meet more Ds. From looking on the directory we have many owners in
KY and TN, enough for a tech session???
Regards from the home of the corvette,
Charles Major

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 20:27:32 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Variations of the original big Sales Brochure?

     Thanks to a very generous new owner who gave me a perfect sales
brochure after my other one got soaked when my DeLorean filled up
with water in a past rainstorm, I noticed a difference on the first
page.  One my water damaged brochure, the first page simply says
"Presenting the DeLorean", and on my new brochure that I got today,
it also says "Presenting the DeLorean" yet at the bottom of the page
it says "De Lorean Motor Cars Limited, Dunmurry Industrial Estate,
Dunmurry, Co.  Antrim, N. Ireland, BT17 9JJ".

I never knew there were variations to the brochure.  Has anyone else
ever noticed this?

-Patrick C.

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 01:36:53 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Cat removal

Hi Gus

>>As you well know, there are other differences in the USA/EUR DeLoreans
>>than just the cat.

Actually there aren't. There was no "european specification" written
down as far as I know. The ones with the wierd taillights were actually
conforming to regs imposed at the time to register them. The closest car
to "Euro spec" that left the factory is right-hand vin 5565. It has
several minor alterations - aerial in the centre of the roof, side
repeaters instead of markers etc.

The engine is definitely something else. I'm not sure if it's a 2849 or
2664 but it has the auxiliary air valve instead of the idlespeed motor
(but the ECU and wiring's all there). No lambda system and custom 3-way
manifolds with twin link pipes to the cats, very like the stainless
system only a bit tighter at the manifolds. I suspect it's an early B28E
(late ones had the same idlespeed system as us) or a Z6W Renault 30
engine. It certainly goes well.

>>I'm not versed in these differences, but I know that
>>it's seldom a simple matter to alter a single variable within a complex
>>system.

As far as the cat is concerned, it is. It doesn't work properly unless
the mixture's spot on under steady state conditions. That's what the
lambda system's for. But it doesn't follow that you have to ditch the
lambda system if you ditch the cat - you just get a free-er flowing
exhaust. And trust me, if you compare the outlet of a stock cat to the
outlet of a proper bypass pipe, you'll see the difference. This is a 2.8
litre engine, and at red-line (which mine hits with ease) that's a lot
to force through such a small hole!

>>Removing the cat on US vehicles may or may not increase performance, and I
>>would like to see a dyno test that shows the difference.

Given the dyno run would cost more than a bypass pipe.....

>>Removing the cat
>>will almost certainly increase emissions.  If I could get another 10 or 20
>>HP by cutting out the cat, I'd be under there with a hacksaw right now.
>>But in truth I think it's 1 or 2 HP, which hardly seems worth the effort
>>(let alone the extra emissions).

It's not all about HP - this gives the engine improved torque - evident
by easier overtaking (thinking of when I fitted mine).

>>Don't worry about the higher emissions in your Euro-spec cars...you'd need
>>to leave every vehicle in Europe idling 24/7 before you'd even come close
>>to catching up with the USA.  We're #1, woo hoo!

And if we all drove around in 20 year old cars with no emissions
controls whatsoever, the world would be a cleaner place today. Why?
Because the amunt of pollution created by the manufacture of a modern
car equates roughly to that from an exhaust pipe of a 20 year old car
over 20 years. It's a mad world.

Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:33:35 -0500
From: "Jake Kamphoefner" <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Fanzilla Clones

The big question is "WHEN??"  We've been hearing this for a long time.  I
needed one two years ago, so unless Bob also is producing a flux capacitor,
he's late for my order!   :-)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063 --> still wanting a Fanzilla but highly considering recent substitutes.

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 00:11:05 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Door Lock Module Upgrade

Hello List - With the indulgence of the Moderator, I am pleased to
announce that DeLorean Parts Northwest is currently field testing a new
digital door lock module that has several exciting features - Zero
standby current; optimized for use with either the stock solenoids or
using our door lock actuators (allowing direct drive of our actuators);
direct plug-in interface with all Wings-A-Loft controllers (and most
competitive keyless entry systems); internal diagnostics to detect bell
crank switch malfunctions and other door lock faults; phased activation
to reduce power spikes with solenoids; programmable for future product
improvements; and true "plug and play" installation in the same space
as the current OEM module.  Upon completion of a short test phase to
give this unit a good shakedown, we will be able to make this
significant upgrade available for less than previously available door
lock module replacements.  Stay tuned for further information on this,
and other product innovations for the DeLorean automobile.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC