From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:40 PM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 2898

1. RE: Fiberglass cleaning
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

2. Re: crumple tube
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: What is this?
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

4. Turn Signal/Clock
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. BTTF actor Tom Wilson standup comedy schedule
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

6. Re: What is this?
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

7. Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

8. RE: DCS and Christopher LLOYD
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: DCS and Christopher LLOYD
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: What is this?
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

11. Re: Steering lock doesn't unlock & Jiggling didn't help
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

12. DCS and Chris Lloyd
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Water Leaks...again. Any advice/ideas?
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. RE: Need some Air
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: Turn Signal/Clock
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. Re: Need some Air
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

17. Re: LED Center Console Burnout
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

18. Re: Need some Air
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Brake Caliper Seperation
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Shift Computer
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. DeLorean FAQ Fact Sheet - Update
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Turn Signal/Clock
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:02:16 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Fiberglass cleaning

I have found that fiberglass boat pollish by 3M to work very well.

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 05:15:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: crumple tube

My front crumple tube on my old frame was collapsing on both sides.  While talking to another Delorean owner with a lot of experience, he said that was fromthe weight of the car as you brake being sent to the front crumple area.  Over time it fatigues that area.
Anyone else hear of this?

Erik

funkstuf <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:
Closer look at Vin 941 reveals the need to replace the crumple tube.
Not due to rust, but, it clearly struck something on both sides of the front extension. Wondering if anybody has done this and estimates on time and procedures.
Dale Funk

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:56:47 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: What is this?

Whatever it is ...the last 'item' is to email the company which also
trys to collect all of your contacts email addresses off your
computer ...

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_y...>
wrote:
> I found this on the net a little while ago, and I am not sure what
it is.

> http://www.monako.co.jp/products/2003/details_bt/index.html
>
> Is it an animated series?  A video game maybe?  Whatever it is, it
has an awesome computer animated De Lorean.  Can anyone read
Japanese?  (or whatever language that is)

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 06:21:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Turn Signal/Clock

Since lighting has been a big topic this week, here is
an issue that I am having. My right turn signal blinks
faster then the left. Bulb is working and connector is
clean in the right front parking light assembly, bulb
is working in the inst. cluster. The front parking
light also goes completely out when flashing. Should I
buy a new parking light kit?
Also, when I first start the car my clock comes on for
a second then goes out? I know most of the clocks in
the cars are not working, but since it is in the car I
would like it to work. Could the two problems be
related? Electrical issues make me nervous? Is there a
certain relay I should be looking at?? Any
suggestions??
Thanks.

Joey

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:49:34 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: BTTF actor Tom Wilson standup comedy schedule

For those on the list who are interested, actor/comedian Tom Wilson
("Biff Tannen" from the BTTF films) takes to the road on a new comedy
tour which begins tonight in Addison, Texas.  His appearances for the
next month are as follows:

September 28-October 2: The Improv, Addison, TX
October 4-8: The Comedy & Magic Club, Hermosa Beach, CA
October 12-16: Zanies, Nashville, TN

Further details can be found at www.BTTF.com or www.TomWilsonUSA.com

Stephen Clark
BTTF.com

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:16:05 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

Behold the almost all-knowing Google:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.monako.co.jp/products/2003/details_bt/notice.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.monako.co.jp/products/2003/details_bt/notice.html%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den%26hs%3DBWF%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

On 9/27/05, Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

> I found this on the net a little while ago, and I am not sure what it is.
>
> http://www.monako.co.jp/products/2003/details_bt/index.html
>
> Is it an animated series? A video game maybe? Whatever it is, it has an
> awesome computer animated De Lorean. Can anyone read Japanese? (or whatever
> language that is)
>

> Chuck McKnight

> www.dmcnews.com <http://www.dmcnews.com>

-Kevin

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:57:43 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>
Subject: Re: LED Rear Light Replacment...

No, I suppose you could use a resistor, as I did with my turn signal
LEDS, but it seems to negate a lot of the current savings of the
leds in the first place. I am sending you my relay scheme off list,
as I did for others who were interested.

Marty Galbreath

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...>

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 23:26:52 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: DCS and Christopher LLOYD

Tom Wilson is going to be in town all week here in Dallas doing his comedy,
I was going to aks him if it would be possible for him to come to the show
at DSC.
I will see him tommorow....
- VB

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:25:48 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

That would be really cool if him and Micheal J. Fox came to the show.

Josh

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:27:19 -0700
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

Its basically electronic pachinko.

$ dict pachinko
2 definitions found

 From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48
[gcide]:

   pachinko \pachinko\ n.
      A popular Japanese pinball game played on a vertical board.
      [WordNet 1.5] Parchesi
      Pachisi

 From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

   pachinko
        n : a Japanese pinball game played on a vertical board

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:10:25 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Steering lock doesn't unlock & Jiggling didn't help

Nick,
This sounds dumb,but try Telescoping/adjusting the steering wheel
up/down/in/out  a few times,that "might jar" The locking
deadbolt "loose".Basically what you have is something similar to a
door deadbolt on your front door,or at least the same concept!if
that "deadbolt" is jammed(from scoring/surface rust in its bore) no
matter how hard you try,it is NOT going to release,you will just wind
up braking the key off in the ignition switch!! Don't do that! What
you basically have to do is try to get some lubricant on
that "deadbolt" if somehow possible, If possible,take the plastic
housing off around the ignition switch,and if you could shoot some
penetrating fluid,(with that little tube attached),between the collar
of the ignition switch and the steering column(on the lower part is
the locking deadbolt)that should help free it up,remember THAT is one
of the most used areas,that never gets lubricated.You do not want to
have to replace the ignition switch,they are EASY to install but a
bear to remove,as they have two shear bolts,(the heads shear off at a
certain torque)and last time I did one I
had to drill them out,with a hand drill,to remove the Ignition switch.

Hope that Helps
CBL

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:32:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DCS and Chris Lloyd

Ken,

I think Chris Lloyd would be a great addition to the show.  His talents run beyond the BTTF films and I think that having him there would be awesome.    Some may not like the BTTF stuff at the shows but having these actors, producers of these films there is worth it.  They added so much to the energy and excitement at Pigeon Forge.   It's an honor that they would come join our madness!

Tom Watkins

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:41:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Water Leaks...again. Any advice/ideas?

When you have the grill off to make the deflector check the screws and their caulking. The screws on the drivers side were caulked on my car but not on the passenger side. Caulking them cured my leak.

Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:
If you all remember, I was the water leak king a few years ago,
always posting about this leak and that leak on vin 1880. Well I
still have them, and even Dave Bauerle's shop had no luck, yet
stopped one coming in under the passenger door (which I wasn't aware
I had). They thought that fixed it, yet I still have them after
washing the car yesterday, and mainly when I run my hand under the
driver side carpet after washing and slide it towards the center
console area, the closer I get to the console, the wetter the carpet is.

At the advice of Ken K. I am going to make a deflector for the big
opening/drain on the outside of the car in front of the windshield on
the passenger side. Hopefully somehow water is coming in there, and
creating the deflector will shoot the water down farther away from
the area where it might be leaking in. I am sick of breathing the
smell of damp carpet.

I have performed the factory water leak bulletins, caulked the t-
panel, replaced door seals, etc, etc, etc. Does ANYONE (vendors
especially) recall anyone else having this problem in the past 24
years, and can anyone else give me any other ideas as to where to
look in the event that this deflector doesn't do the trick? Keep
your fingers crossed that it does, I have faith in Ken K.

A Very Frustrated Patrick C.

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:58:39 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Need some Air

Japheth,
If looks and air volume are not part of the theme with the new Stainless
Steel air breather we make, then to get the max out of what you have you can
remove the stove pipe and assy. Install my cold air tube or one you can make
up with my blue K&N style filter or the K&K filter and you will see a
difference in breathing and you may have to readjust the mixture screw.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/air-breather-package.jpg

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:11:40 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Turn Signal/Clock

If the flashers are not blinking right that is they way they tell you
either you have a bulb out or maybe one of them is the wrong type.
Pull ALL the bulbs on the side that is flashing fast and clean and
inspect them. Be very careful that you install them correctly. The
large ones have 2 pins. One is lower than the other so you must
install it correctly to have the right filiment on the stop/turn
circuit. You could also have a grounding problem. Make sure all ground
connections are clean and tight.

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:07:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The metal pipe, aka heat stove, only operates when it is cold and the
engine is warming up. It is not that important, it minimizes the
emissions during warm-up. The hose from the oil cap is important. The
crankcase is under negative pressure so air is drawn in through that
tube. It is connected to the air cleaner so dirt is not introduced
into the motor. The parts in the right rear pontoon do come apart but
you have to remove the rear facia to get them all out. The intake IS
restrictive. Run a pipe from the top of the mixture unit over the top
of the motor and put the air filter in the rear pontoon and get fresh
air from the scoop at the rear of the window in the quater panel. If
you notice that the air flap, aka air sensor plate, is dirty, maybe
the air filter isn't installed right allowing dirty air to get past it
or maybe you have a defective filter or it is not correct. Dirty
injectors are a major source of idle quality problems and high
emissions. So are leaking injectors seals. They get old, hard, and
leak "false air".

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "secret_jedi_guy"

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:29:18 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: LED Center Console Burnout

>Elvis wrote:
> what kind of LED's did you use ?

I bought them off EBay about a year ago. All I know is they came in a static
proof bag, they are rated at 3.5V, and have a 25000mcd/LED.  I just solder
them together and go.

> Are those non automotive LED's with integrated current source or
> resistor ?

I have 16 of them installed on my motorcycle (12 volt system).  They have
been burning true for over a year now with no burnouts.  Running four LEDs
per series (3.5Vx4)=14V.  No resistors anywhere.

>Then your are breaking one of the basic electronics laws
> that says - always use a resistor to limit the current thru a LED !

Ignorance is bliss.  I tried to learn something about Ohms Law when I
installed them on my bike.  I didn't learn very much.

> But on a 12V system you
> definitely need the resistor ! A LED is not a bulb, it's a diode !

I didn't think I needed to restrict the Voltage with a resistor because the
LEDs pull 3.5V resistence on there own.

> LED: if you drive it with let's say 3.3V or 3.4V, the difference can be
> like
> 1000% !!!!!!!

So if I only had one led connected to the 12V power source, I would then
need to restrict the voltage by 8.5V with a resistor. So my thinking is
3.5Vx4 is leaves me with nothing to resist .   I don't know how many laws
I'm breaking here.  It makes since to me and it seems to work.

> This is why they burn very fast without resistors in series to it.
> (again - only if it hasn't it already integrated !)

That's why I put them in series.  If I ran them in parallel I would then
need resistors for each circuit.

Lingo #2034

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:38:19 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

A couple of answers below:

On 9/27/05, secret_jedi_guy <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:
> First question:  How important is the metal heat stove hose that comes
> off of the air intake?  I have seen cars with and without it that run
> fine.

This pipe routes hot air to the intake to speed up the engine warm-up
process.  The box-ish area it connects to contains a heat-operated
flap that closes the hot air input once sufficiently warmed...  My
guess is that it is useful / necessary in cold climates, and possibly
not at all useful in hot climates.  This is based on the travel range
of the flap.  If you take it out of the engine bay, look at the flap
position in room temperature...  it may be completely closed to heat,
or more likely, halfway between hot and cold.  Put it in your fridge
or freezer, and it should be completely open to hot air.

I personally wasn't sure of the value, so after cleaning and
replacement of a broken part, I placed it all back in, as designed.

> Third question:  Is the section of the intake that comes out of the
> pontoon all one piece or is it sectional and able to be removed?

Sectional, and I believe my car is original:  1 tube inside of pontoon
from outer vent to hole in pontoon in engine bay, 1 elbow tube from
pontoon surface to black box, 1 black box housing the heat controlled
flap and having connections for heat stove tube and output tube, 1
cardboard-ish output tube from black box to plastic connector for air
box, 1 plastic connector which attaches to bottom of air box.  Of
course, now that I've typed all that, it occurs to me to simply link
to DeLorean.com's page with the parts manual graphic of these.

http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=14&PageCat=1%2DEngine

Please let us know what route you go on the changes; those who upgrade
their exhaust can definitely use improved intake.

--Greg

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:40:45 -0000
From: "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Brake Caliper Seperation

I just rebuilt one of my calipers last night. I put in new pistons and
seals.  In reading my shop manual it says "DO NOT SEPERATE THE TWO
HALVES OF THE CALIPER"  It doesn't say why.  I did seperate the two
halves of the caliper by removing the 4 bolts with no problem what so
ever.  I even put it back together with no problems.

Does anyone know why the caliper should not be seperated?

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:02:14 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Shift Computer

Does anyone have the instructions on how to rebuild the shift computer?
Mine is just toasted, it is popping fuses, and shifting from 2nd to 3rd and
back and forth on the highway....

It is so bad now, I have to pull the fuse on the highway to stay in 3rd,
then put it back in at a stop light....this is crap.

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:00:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean FAQ Fact Sheet - Update

I must have had Bugs Bunny on the brain when creating this thing because karat
was spelled wrong. I'm actually surprised that was the only spelling error
(Thanks Cheryl W.).

Current price updates, new size & other changes were also made. If you want the
new version you can download it here:
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm
Adobe Acrobat Reader or capatable program needed to view PDFs.

Shannon Y

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:51:40 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Pull the front grille off the car - you'll find the wires from the
parking lights each go to a 3-wire plug. Take the plug apart and clean
it up and tighten the connections. You are missing the ground (black)
connection so the circuit is grounding thru the other part of the bulb.
Make sure the bulb socket is prefectly clean too.

Dave Swingle