Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2902
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:30 Sep 2005 14:50:23 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: DCS and Christopher LLOYD
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: DCS and Christopher LLOYD
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: What Is This
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Re: Washer Motor
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

5. Re: positive DeLorean story about negative shipping problem...
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Re: Washer Motor
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

7. Vin 941
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Re: Water pump squeaking. How long have I got?
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>

9. Re: Re: Shift Computer
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

10. Re: Brake Caliper Seperation
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>

11. RE: Re: DeLorean FAQ Fact Sheet - Update
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

12. Re: one fan running backwards?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

13. Re: Re: Washer Motor
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. RE: Re: Washer Motor
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: Re: Washer Motor
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

16. Alternator Belt
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

17. Historical Pictures
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Las Vegas, Nevada Events.
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

19. Turbo Question
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>

20. Re: Re: Washer Motor
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

21. DMC in Family Guy again
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>

22. Re: Headlight Covers
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

23. headliner
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Washer Motor
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

25. Trailing Arm Bolts Replacement Advice Please......:)
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:10:40 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: DCS and Christopher LLOYD

I saw him and the show last night, he was very cool and signed a lot of
stuff and took pictures, but he made it clear in his act how irritated he is
with BTTF.
Apparently he didn't get paid too well from it which is why he is doing
comedy and selling his paintings....he said, "I hate to dissapoint you all
but I'm not a millionaire".
The he talked about all the acting training he had and how he feels like a
monkey doing
"hey butt head" and snarling Biff faces and stuff.
Then he sang a song called "Don't ask me these questions" where he basically
sang about
not asking him any BTTF questions.
He really wants to distance himself from it seems.
His loss, he is missing out on the support of a lot of fans.
- VB

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:53:49 -0400
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

The Pheasant Run people are trying to get Tom Wilson to be at their Zanies commedy club the same time we are. Unfortunately I have a buget to stay within but the folks at Pheasant Run also would like him to come so between Tom, DCS, Stephen Clark and Pheasant Run we are trying but that definately is not confirmed at this point.

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:57:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marty Lick <mlick27_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: What Is This

http://www.monako.co.jp/products/2003/details_bt/index.html

>> Is it an animated series? A video game maybe?

Whatever

>> it is, it has an
>> awesome computer animated De Lorean. Can anyone read

Japanese? (or

>> whatever language that is)

I showed this to an anime-loving friend of mine.  He
said "Hey look, video clips!"

http://tinyurl.com/aqc4q
and
http://tinyurl.com/dxabc
The translation on this one is "Deep-sea party
long-reach animated picture"

It looks more like a video game than a pachinko game,
not that I have any extensive knowledge of pachinko.
But if it is a game....what a really bizarre game!
That number 5 is tough!

-- Marty

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:20:20 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Washer Motor

>> The bolts may be rusted and the little riv nuts sometimes spin so you
>> can't get the bolts out.-----
>>Dani B. #5003

Amen brother.  I gave up trying to get mine off...... All but the last screw
came out with no problems.  It's always the last one.

Lingo #2034

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:29:35 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: positive DeLorean story about negative shipping problem...

Josh,
That was a very good news report.  Finally something good for a change.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:41:48 -0400
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

On Sep 29, 2005, at 12:10 PM, David Teitelbaum wrote:

>> The biggest problem you will face in fixing the washer pump will be
>> getting all of those little hex head screws out without having the
>> rivnuts spinning.

I recommend that before you even attempt to remove these screws for
the first time, you spray a lot of penetrating oil up there and wait
24 hours.  Those rivnuts can be a real pain.

>> Expect the motor to be bad but you MUST check at the
>> plug to verify power and ground. It could just be full of gunk. It is
>> easily cleaned out with hot water and rinsing it several times.

A typical cause of failed, rusty motors is that the little drain
holes on the bottom of the enclosure get plugged up and the pump ends
up spending its life  under water.  I strongly suggest drilling a few
larger holes in the bottom of the enclosure.   Also, I have attempted
to disassemble, clean, and reuse grungy pumps.   It is easy to get
them to run, but they don't last.  Just buy a new one.

>> Leak-test and operate it before putting ALL the screws back.

Hear, hear!

>> If you do
>> not get a good spray either the hose is pinched/kinked, or the tiny
>> hole in the sprayer tip is plugged up.

Yes, do check the sprayer tip.  Once I took mine apart and cleaned
it, the spray was as good as any other car's.

   -Pete Lucas

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:28:05 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Vin 941

Hey crowd,
I worked a deal and just bought my second Delorean.
1981, 5 speed Vin 941.  Has flip up gas cap on hood.
A nice project car.. The good news is I could even drive it home.
Hoping to turn this one into a real pretty one.
Lots of fun ahead.

Dale Funk
Vin 4984 seen at.
http://www.sounddomain.com/funkstuf

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:39:23 -0400
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>
Subject: Re: Re: Water pump squeaking. How long have I got?

I guess I should have mentioned that I have replaced the water pump
before.  :)

So I'm aware of what is involved. And I've already made all the
common errors like dropping the fuel line washers down into the
'valley of death' while putting things back together (argh!!!!!).
Between that, coolant leaks, dropping other misc parts down there,
and doing some work on the distributor, I'd gotten to the point where
I could pull the intake manifold and then get everything back
together again in less than an hour, though that was 9 years ago.

The water pump was last replaced in 1999 (that time at P.J. Grady),
so I'm hoping things won't be too scary in there and that it will
come apart fairly easily.

And this time I have a cooling system pressure tester so I can check
for leaks under pressure before putting the intake manifold back.

- Jason

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Shift Computer

Yeah, we've had some trouble with exactly what you describe.  We did find a problem with one car that had an intermittent connection at the harness under the coil cover.  Make sure those are clean and tight, too.

Not sure about the others.  Perhaps it's another weak spot on the board.  I just have to get better at testing the other components on the board, I guess....

Jake
1063

Eric Itzel <ericsdmcmail_at_dml_seviernet.com> wrote:

>>In the midstate club, we haven't had much luck with longevity, though.

Still working on >that one (right Ron?).

Hey Jake,

Do you mean that your computer fixes are not lasting? A year ago I repaired
my shift computer using the DMCNews tech articles, and I also replaced a
portion of the harness wire that was toasted by the exhaust. Recently I've
been having shifting problems- the transmission seems sluggish until it has
ample time to warm up. I am curious if any of my repairs have been undone by
the car.

Thanks!

Eric Itzel

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:54:25 -0000
From: "Marty Galbreath" <marty_at_dml_mediamerge.com>
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Seperation

Here is another possible reason not to separate the caliper
assembly...back in the late 80's I rebuilt the front calipers on my
1980 Volvo 244DL. I had both sides apart at the same time, cleaning
everthing up in there and replacing all the rubber bits. I put it
all back together and experienced the "pedal goes all the way down
no matter how much I bleed" syndrome. Foolishly, I suspected the
master cylinder, and bought a new one. Same problem. Hmm, "maybe I
used the wrong type fluid and ruined the new master." Bought yet
another. Same problem. With great reluctance I took the car to a
local shop. Three hours later they called with "your car is ready".

What did they find? "You had mixed up half of one side with half of
the other." This mismatch had created a pocket of air that could not
be expelled during bleeding. Did I ever feel foolish.

You would think that the manufacturer would have designed the halves
to make this misassembly impossible, but that was not the case with
those calipers.

Marty Galbreath

Still with 2 new 1980 Volvo master cylinders on the shelf:)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_g...>
wrote:

>> They say that because those are special bolts that shouldn't be

reused,

>> like the cylinder head bolts. same story.
>>
>> I did that, too several times yet and never had a problem.
>> But if there's a problem....I'll be in big trouble I guess.
>>
>> Elvis
>>

>> I just rebuilt one of my calipers last night. I put in new pistons

and

>> seals.  In reading my shop manual it says "DO NOT SEPERATE THE TWO
>> HALVES OF THE CALIPER"  It doesn't say why.  I did seperate the

two

>> halves of the caliper by removing the 4 bolts with no problem what

so

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:26:25 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean FAQ Fact Sheet - Update

I think the fact sheet is very helpfull, however I would like to see it
worded and presented a littlwe differently. Instead of mocking and insulting
the mis-informed question asker by first posing
the wrong answer, and then giving the fact I think you could save a lot of
time (and sarcasm)
by simply giving the facts.
For instance, when people see the "Canadian Flag Leaf" icon, without reading
it further they simply say..."Oh, these were made in Canada?"
Why not replace that with a green clover or an Irish flag and simply state
the FACTS
instead of making a sarcastic joke first?
For the record, I have never had anyone ask if the car was made in Canada, I
know that
you are reffering to those who might have confused the DeLorean with the
Bricklin SV-1
but no one in Texas has ever asked me that.

I think the facts alone will sum things up better.
Just my 2 cents.

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:23:23 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: one fan running backwards?

Nope - that was a heater blower fan - different problem.

dave

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

>> Well, actually there could be more to it.
>>
>> I recall Dave Swingle had an issue like this. It turned out that a PO

had

>> replaced the fan motor with one that looked like a good replacement

except

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:39:55 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thank you everyone for your great responses.  One
question I have to these responses.  The "rivnuts" -
are these similar in design to what I call "threaded
rivets" found in the rear fascia behind the license
plate bezel (black rectangluar piece)?  Anyone who's
ever taken their license plate bezel off will know
exactly what I'm talking about.  I looked at the
picture of these "rivnuts" at DMCH - they look
somewhat similar but are long and tube-shaped in
comparison to the ones in the rear
fascia-license-plate-area that were short and had no
real body to them - kind of a hollowed out cylindr in
a diamond shape.

I'll bet what could be done is one could drill them
out of the underbody, then replace them with brand new
ones from your favorite vendor of choice.  In doing
so, one would have to design a way to hold the new
rivnuts in place since if the old ones were drilled
out they would probably leave a bigger diameter hole
than before.  Interesting thought process.

And the little washer nozzle that sits on the
passenger side blade - WHy in the WORLD would it be on
that side?  It makes much more sense to me to put it
on the driver's side.  Unless I'm "duh" - mine is on
the passenger side - and I assume that's the way it's
supposed to be via the parts manual.

Does anyone know without-a-doubt-for-sure how much
liquid comes out of that nozzle?  I've never met
anyone whose DeLorean washer system worked properly,
so this is new territory for me.  Today's cars act
like they have a garden hose spraying the cleaner out.
 I know it won't be quite that much, but I'd like to
have an idea how much is dispersed for testing
purposes once I complete this repair.

Heh.  So much talk over something so small =P.  Sorry
if I'm wasting some of guys' time, but I want to get
this right the first time (or the second time as long
as it's the same day) =P.

Jeremiah

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:04:23 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Jeremiah, I have threaded and ribbed in alum and plated steel on the web
site about 1/2 the way down.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/accessories.html

Thank you everyone for your great responses.  One
question I have to these responses.  The "rivnuts" -
are these similar in design to what I call "threaded
rivets" found in the rear fascia behind the license
plate bezel (black rectangluar piece and had no

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:32:29 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/29/2005 9:43:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

And the  little washer nozzle that sits on the
passenger side blade - WHy in the  WORLD would it be on
that side?  It makes much more sense to me to put  it
on the driver's side.  Unless I'm "duh" - mine is on
the  passenger side - and I assume that's the way it's
supposed to be via the  parts manual.

I solved this problem by adding a second nozzle on my drivers wiper, ran  a
brass T splitter , and used clear aquarium air pump tubing (found at  local
Wal-Mart in Pet department) and pump sprays fluid from both wipers, mind  you it
isn't a lot of fluid but it does work. You can hide the t splitter and  tubing
under the front area.
Bruce Battles

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:35:44 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Alternator Belt

How tight must the alternator belt be? I had a belt beak on me once. Here's
what happened: I started the car after it had sat for over eight hours
(while I was at work). It ran very rough after starting. When I pressed the
accelerator I heard the belt squeal a couple of times. All of a sudden a
thick cloud of white smoke came from the engine compartment. I discoverd a
half melted, broken belt up on inspection. I replaced the belt the next day,
fired up the car and drove home. Now tonight, leaving work, the car seemed
to run rough again. I saw white smoke again while I was pulling out of the
parking lot (no squealing belt though). I quickly looked at my volt meter
and it was almost pointing to zero. I thought my belt had broke again. So I
quickly pulled back into the parking lot just to discover the belt was
intact and turning. I turned off anything electrical I didn't need when I
drove it home. The volt meter never registered above 10V. It usually reads
between 11-13 volts. I drove home without incident.
The altenator and belt are new and I have a new heatshield between the
alterantor and muffler. Why would the belt be breaking and smoking like
this. Could the alternator be bad? The alternator turns easily, as well as
the water pump (new). When I replaced the belt the first time I really
tightened it up. I'm thinking maybe the belt is just not tight enough. Any
suggestions?

Lingo #2034

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:52:30 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Historical Pictures

After searching the net I found some interesting historical pictures
of the DeLorean factory and the like.

However I was wondering of anyone out there has some nice quality
(large) photos of the DeLorean factory in operation, DeLorean's at the
shipping points and at the QAC's?? I know there have been some on the
 cover of DeLorean world and SS Illusions... I would just like to have
some larger images of these. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Dan

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:30:08 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Las Vegas, Nevada Events.

This October 21st & 22nd, the AZ-D club will be coming to Las Vegas
for a get together for both their club members, and as an opprotunity
for all local Las Vegas owners to come out for a real get-together.

Friday we'll be having a dinner _at_dml_ the Hot Rod Grille in Henderson, and
will be hosting a whole host of activities on Saturday afternoon and
evening.

-----------------

This November 1st thru the 4th SEMA will be in town. As usuall, there
will be a few DML'ers who come to town to attend. But regardless of
the show, if there is any one who wants to show up after the show for
a get-together, please let me know. While it may not be as big an
event as the AZ-D show, we're definetly going to try and meet up.

Is there anyone interested in either show? If so, you can e-mail
myself directly at DMCVegas(AT)cox.net for further details.

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 05:49:24 -0000
From: "funkstuf" <funkstuf_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Turbo Question

The Delorean I purchased today is equipped with a Turbo.
The Label on the Turbo says.
Martin Turbo
City of Industry, CA
P/N  70015.

Has anybody heard of this type of Turbo?  The claim on this is that
the Delorean has 230 HP.  I don't know if this is true but I got some
literature with the car that states this.  I am assuming this is an
aftermarket Turbo but don't really know.
Dale Funk
Vin #941
Vin #4984

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:26:50 EDT
From: abatt10347_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 9/29/2005 9:39:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
lucas_at_dml_Maya.com writes:

A  typical cause of failed, rusty motors is that the little drain
holes  on the bottom of the enclosure get plugged up and the pump ends
up  spending its life  under water.  I strongly suggest drilling a  few
larger holes in the bottom of the  enclosure.

I second this advice. If you are using your D as a daily driver, gunk gets
into these small holes (original openings) and allow water to fill up over the
motor level. This in turn will short out the motor and the circuit it works
on.  This includes the dash lights and the running side lights. The cure is to
drill  out the drain holes a little larger, takes a couple of min but solves
the  problem long term. Also the advice of taking off the front tie to do this
is  correct. It does make the job easier, it can be done the other way but
lining up  inner bottle and then the cover is hard to do if you can't see the
holes.
Bruce Battles

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:59:10 -0700
From: Stephen Jones <smj_at_dml_cirr.com>
Subject: DMC in Family Guy again

The recent (delayed) episode 'The Perfect Castaway' features another
scene with
a DeLorean.   A previous episode featured a DeLorean parked outside of
The
Drunken Clam (you can see the clip on Tamir's site).

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 02:29:59 EDT
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Headlight Covers

In a message dated 9/29/2005 1:08:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
denverdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:
Has anyone purchased or has something to do with the production of
these?>>

I ordered a set weeks ago. Can't seem to get a reply lately from Jon, the
seller. I'll let you know when I see them.
Wayne A. Ernst

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:16:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: headliner

I'm wanting to clean some light spots off my headliner
does anyone suggest a good cleaner without damaging
the cloth?

Jamie Hamlin
Ft. Walton Beach, Fl.
#5677 (just go a month ago)
#2606 (destroyed in hurricane Ivan)

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:24:09 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Washer Motor

Hi i've just done this and believe me if you car is like mine, most
the screws will either turn the whole rivnut, or the head will be
half rusted so the cross head screwdriver can't grip.

as space is limited i bought a flexible drill extension and drilled
the heads off.

i'll either replace with bigger rivnuts or something.

one way to remove maybe is to heat up the remainder of screw with a
soldering iron and see if the whole rivnut can be removed.

the heat from the drill bit started to melt the washer bottle cover
at a screw position.

i did all this just to get the fascia off. (now done and replacing
headlight fittings.

Regards

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:41:30 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Trailing Arm Bolts Replacement Advice Please......:)

Hi All

I am going to tackle my trailing arm bolts replacement tommorow , i
have a new set of bolts from Hervey and some new SS shield nuts from
Grady.
I cant really see a 'how to' anywhere on this, I have found the
article on the DML tech page but without sounding ungreatful its a
little bit sketchy and disjointed. Has anyone documented this or have
any advice on the same. If i have known i wouldnt get any
instructions whatso ever i would have gone for tobys tabs but hey you
live and learn.

Thanks for any advice guys... I will be documenting this and doing a
pictured 'how to' .

With his permission, I have recently done a front lowered replacement
spring swap 'how to' in the the style of 'Jordan Rubin', this should
be going on line on his site for all to see soon, however if you
would like a copy emailed over please let me know.

Mike
#2001  / Auto
Yorkshire, UK