Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2906
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:2 Oct 2005 19:51:18 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Re: Alternator Belt
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Historical Documents
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

3. RE: A/C low pressure switch question...
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. Re: Historical Pictures
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Painting the Fascia's:
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

6. Re: "Cocaine in Car?"
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Carcoon
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

8. carfax report... who has it??
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

9. Roof door seal replacement
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Painting the Fascia's:
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

11. Raffle Car and last call for the magazine articles
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

12. Re: Alternator Belt
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

13. Car # 3000 on eBay again
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

14. DeLorean Side Stripe Kits
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

15. Stuff For Sale on EBay
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)
From: Japheth Deaux <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. BTTF showing in Bowie, MD
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. RE: [DMCForum] Fuel problems
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

19. Fuel problems
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

20. Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 14:01:25 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Alternator Belt

Josh, Looks like you have just about fixed the belt problem but I'm not for
sure if soap would be the proper belt dressing that wouldn't prevent further
slipping. The proper belt dressing believe it or not is a small amount of
brake fluid sprayed on the belt as it turning to get an even application
over all the belt.

Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:38:23 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Historical Documents

Hello,

I had a suggestion from James Espey to scan and add some DMCL telex's from
time to time. I've added a few at DMCHELP.com.

Enjoy. I'll add more late...Found a telex for the Gold Cars too!

Sincerely,

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 14:03:10 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: A/C low pressure switch question...

Alex, You may not have the proper amount of freon in the ac system.

Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:36:29 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Historical Pictures

That video was great.  I'd sure like more DMC DVD offerings.

I was thinking about something last night... if you wanted to figure
out how much each Delorean cost to produce, what would the formula
be like?  The goal would be to eliminate any nontangible costs, such
as blood, sweat and tears, and just get a rough number:

"Stock offerings + loans + government grants divided by number of
cars produced"

What would that number come out to be?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Mike,
>>
>> I'm not sure what your reservations are about making these photos
>> public, but if I may be allowed to speak for us all.. You would be
>> doing a fantastic thing making these photos available. Not many

photos

>> exist documenting the conception and fabrication of the DeLorean
>>
>> Check out this video of the factory. If this doesn't put you in a
>> nostalgic mood for the history of our fine vehicles, I don't know

what

>> will.
>>
>> http://www.dmc-delorean.de/videos/dmcfabrik.wmv

scanner

>> print

>> pictures

quality

>> at

on

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 17:55:36 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting the Fascia's:

In a message dated 10/1/2005 2:51:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dmcjosh85_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

Ditzler  DAU33584

The paint code has just changed for the types of paint that meet the EPA
guidelines
DAU did not so now you can get it in DBC and DBU these are PPG paints
both are basecoat clearcoat that I find more work that its worth and
fighting the gloss is difficult plus the color is a bit off. Even the DAU was a  bit
gray.

So the new number is DBC or DBU 33584

BUT

I just had a color made for me that I painted the raffle car and while the
color was good and the gloss level down from what the clearcoats do it was a
bit  high in solvents and there was some scissing in the paint.

I am having another batch made up and if it works then there will be a
single stage paint that we can use and forget the basecoat clearcoat stuff which
will make it more affordable to re do fascias.

Right now its about $100 in paint materials to do one fascia with all the
prep and such.

Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:22:39 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: "Cocaine in Car?"

That's funny, I remember the first time I was pulled over in my DMC
vividly! Last October or so about a year ago. The deputy asked me
(with a perfectly serious face), "Do you have a flux capacitor in
there, son?" Then he and his partner laughed. Ha. Ha. Ha. *grinding
teeth* I don't mind occasional police humor, but not at someone who
works security and was trying to get gas at 1AM after work.
Thankfully
I had done nothing wrong, had -and still have- a perfectly clean
driving record, and had absolutely nothing but air in the spare
donut.  :)  Really! The reason they pulled me over was that "my turn
signals were faded and not yellow enough." *Coughs a colorful
expletive* Yes, officer, right away! Fixed it. Amber bulbs, no prob.
$2.00 or so. Anyone else have any fun police encounters?
John Rydholm
Romeo, MI Vin#...10715
Cheesy potato skins. yummy ^_^

Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 21:59:08 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Carcoon

I find that if you Just make your garage moisture proof,(ie: moisture
proof the foundation/floor have descent garage door(s) and
seals/insulation ect) and a regular car cover should do it,and heat
if possible(in the northern climates)it will be snug as a bug in a
rug. Or a second story garage like I had done.Or better yet loan it
to a car museum for the winter.For very long term storage(5years or
longer)remove all items that will detorate or get damaged and box and
store away(headliners/fuelpump/tires/seats/carpet(s) battery,
struts,cover steering wheel(with one of those inexpensive steering
wheel covers)cover dash and barnicle,seal the intake area,put heavy
duty black plastic under where the car is to be parked,and remove ALL
fluids,then put Heavy blankets(your old king or queen blankets) over
the car(as many as will fit)then put a very nice car cover over
that ,and leave it alone until you are ready to use again.
sure beats spending appox $2500.00 and you will get some of it back
if you plan on selling your house!

Or do like a friend of mine had done with his Delorean,since his
garage was at the same level as his basement,he put double doors from
his garage(on the interior wall that seperated the garage from the
basement) to his cellar and parked his "D" right next to his Boiler
in his Cellar,there it stood,until recently selling his house,The
house was added as a bonus if you bought the Delorean for
$399,995.00... You got the house..It SOLD...Quick!

(it really was the other way around) The D went with the house  ; >

CBL

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> You're exchange rate is a bit up the wall there, David!
>>
>> http://www.xe.com/ucc/
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: For those that want the bottom line, the

exchange rate at the time I just looked was 1.76 dollars per pound]

are

DMCH.

to 1

is

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 20:46:25 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: carfax report... who has it??

Ok someone generously offered a free carfax report on any car.

Well today I bought Vin 16879 from a local guy.  He took it in trade sight
unseen for another  car he had.  Apparently the last owner was a car
collector and this one broke down and he got the parts to fix it, but got
sick and passed away before fixing this issue.  Now it is my turn.  :-)

30,000 miles

Black 5 speed

Great interior (needs binnacle and headliner, carpets look brand new leather
is great)

Fascias in very good condition no eyebrows

Stainless in very good condition

Frame is great only a few little spots of flaked epoxy - oh and it is the
black epoxy too

Original NCTs on front!!!!

Fiberglass looks like it came off the showroom floor

Now the bad:

Has a bad fuel accumulator and possibly fuel filter needs replaced, it is
not running right now but for the price I don't care lol.  The tank came
drained and ready to reinstall the pump and such

Well if someone could run the Vin for me:  scedt26t3dd016879 I would
appreciate it.

Ohhh one more thing.  It seems to have that oxidized rust stuff on several
parts, and I know people have had it before and know how to remove it. I
tried blending pads, but not to effective..  Any ideas?

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl

DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed

DVC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed

Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Come hang out in The DMC Lounge
<http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMCLounge/>  --

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 01:06:38 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Roof door seal replacement

Hello all, I noticed on my DeLorean the DOOR/ROOF seal between the
door and T-panel is in bad shape. I'd like to replace these. However
it seems like a tight fit to get in there. Any thoughts on how to get
this done?? THanks

-Daniel

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 20:42:04 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

dmcjosh85 wrote:

>>Best methods of painting this myself. What colors do I need such as
>>the paint color name and paint color number for both the black and
>>silver portions. Where could I buy the paints and supplys I need
>>either online or from common local stores.
>>

>>Thank You
>>Josh Tidwell
>>04463

The black portions of the fascia is the natural color of the plastic
it's made out of I believe. As far as paint colors and numbers go for
the silver.. I could have sworn I read a fascia post within the last few
months that listed updated modern paint codes for the colors, but as I
recall, the paint was kinda pricy. I'll search for the post i'm thinking
of and mail you the message number off list if I find it, if someone
doesn't post the information here first anyway.

VIN# 03209
http://badger.brazi.net/delorean

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:18:04 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Raffle Car and last call for the magazine articles

Well the raffle car is actually up on the web page.
You can find it on the home page or the store page.

Rules and such are the same as last time but this time there is no minimum
tickets that need to be bought the car is being given away at the show.   Also
the maximum number of tickets to be sold is 600.

This car runs real well and it will be better by next year.  The  new seats
are real comfortable,
And I am getting spoiled by the automatic tranny.

Also if anyone want to get an article or add in the magazine you need to
have it to me no later than this Friday.
We are formatting the magazine now and it should go to publish by the 17th
of Oct and I hope to have them out by the end of Oct or early Nov.

Good luck on the Raffle car

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 02:40:03 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator Belt

If the belt has been tightened correctly it should be quiet. If the
belt is making noise then you need a new belt. That soap and
dressing is for used car guys to help in a fast sale. It is unlikely
you will get the correct tension doing it with the screwdriver as
tight as you can method.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcjosh85" <dmcjosh85_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I replaced my alternator about a month and a half ago and at first

it

>> had the same noise. a constant high-pitched whistling noise

followed

>> by a squealing scream when I gave it some gas. I didnt have to
>> replace the belt since the one I had there was already quite new

from

>> the previous owner and looked to be in good condition. It took me

>> little bit to think that the belt just isnt tight enough. So I got
>> under the car and using a long screw-driver I placed it inbetween

the

>> alternator and the alternater housing bracket and just gave it

some

>> good muscle. I got it as tight as it would go and had my grandpa
>> tighten the bolts so it locked it in place. After that the

whistling

>> went away about...80% (only makes the sound during idle) id say

and

>> the squealing when giving it some gas was completely gone. I did

come

>> across a bottle of belt noise reducer in the garage and applied

that

>> which greatly helped out. since than the noise is only a small
>> whistle when at idle and my voltage is consistant (even on a going
>> bad battery and a electrical guage that needs to be cleaned for
>> greater accuracy)
>>
>> I also heard that getting rid of that belt noise can be done by
>> getting a wet bar of soap and rubbing it on the the teeth of the

belt

>> as the car runs. Not sure what to think of this method but its

what

>> I've heard.
>>
>> Hope it helps!
>> Josh Tidwell
>> 04463
>>
>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>

when

allowing

>> you

your

the "vee". It

wrote:

>> once.

eight

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 22:02:55 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Car # 3000 on eBay again

Under a new name and location, car #3000 is for sale on eBay again.  The
auction number is 4579494390.  And I've never seen a negative feedback
score.

Heads up!

Nick

Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:44:37 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DeLorean Side Stripe Kits

Dear All,

A recent purchase of original side stripe kits (NOS DMC dealer inventory)
has me concerned. Should these kits be "saved" or can the kit be installed  on
the car?

In addition, how can you tell the difference between an original large side
stripe kit and a reproduction kit?

Sincerely,

Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 22:22:52 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Stuff For Sale on EBay

I decided to put everything on eBay,
So here are the links:

Ash Tray:  Item number: 4579629622
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-Ash-Tray_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34206QQitemZ4579629622QQrdZ1

Trim Board:  Item number: 4579630114
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4579630114&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Bungee Net:  Item number: 4579629893
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-NET-for-Rear-Parcel-Shelf_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34206QQitemZ4579629893QQrdZ1

Gray Center Console Cover:  Item number: 4579641152
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4579641152

Good Luck.

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 00:12:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Japheth Deaux <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)

To address this issue point blank it would take A
LOT!!!  You better know what you are getting yourself
into if you so choose to embark on such an endeavor.

Oh and the automatic has gotta come out.  It can't
handle the torque or HP that a 350 chevy puts out, and
there are no other auto transaxles that will fit the
rear engine application of a Delorean.

However, the standard transmission in the Delorean is
a Renault UN-1 which is actually a standard mid and
rear engine kit car transaxle and that can reliably
handle about 300 HP and ft/lbs of torque.  And it can
be strengthened to handle more.  It is a very simple
and sturdy design.  Many put that transaxle into GT40
replicas with HiPo Ford engines.

I would say your best bet if you really wanted to
start that kind of project would be to find one that
is already a 5-speed and leave the automatic alone.

Japheth Deaux
VIN:1223

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:46:15 -0000
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: BTTF showing in Bowie, MD

I would like to say a huge thank you to everybody who showed up
yesterday for the Back to the Future drive-in showing in Bowie, MD.  I
had a blast and I hope everyone else did too!!  I hope that my
attending to a shy girlfriend wasn't taken in a bad way, I really did
enjoy meeting you all and look forward to seeing all of you again
hopefully in the near future.  I know the weather is getting colder by
the day so a Maryland owners tech session is probably a ways off but
anybody interested in doing small one-on-one or 3,4 person tech
sessions feel free to give me a write offlist!

Jack
VIN2728

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:47:53 -0400
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: RE: [DMCForum] Fuel problems

Ok update.  I got the baffle in and connected back up with the fuel pump.  I
then got the fuel pump back in, but I am curious as to which line goes
where.  There is a line closest to the tank and one closest to the wheel...

OK where do I go now? lol

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 09:05:41 -0600
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

the adapter plate is necessary to "adapt" the different engine to the UH1
transmission.
 Since it is a "one time" job it has to get specially machined, it is not an
"off the shelf" item.
 I would suggest rather than a 350 chevy to do what I plan on doing is to
put a mazda three rotor which is light weight aluminum, equivalent of 9
cylinders it can be pushed to yield somewhere on the order of 500 bhp + I am
planning on contacting a machine shop to make one, but if any interest out
there, I would like to have him make at least 10 of them. Remember this same
adapter would adapt the Mazda two rotor twin turbo (also aluminum - and also
a relatively small engine, so that it fits the delorean engine compartment).
 ANYONE OUT THERE INTERESTED IN GOING IN WITH ME ON THESE ADAPTERS? WE CAN
FIND THE TWIN TURBO MAZDA ALL THE TIME ON EBAY FOR ABOUT $1500.00, THE THREE
ROTOR IS GENERALLY $2500.
 THANKS.