Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2907
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:3 Oct 2005 03:30:55 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Fuel problems
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: Fuel problems
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

3. Need some air!--Success
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Fuel problems
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

5. Re: The trip to see Carl, and the Gold DeLorean. Kind of like an update.
From: "Rex" <sephiroth_at_dml_merriman.com>

6. Re: "Cocaine in Car?"
From: "Robert Patz" <topgunster_at_dml_delorean.com>

7. RE: Fuel problems
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

8. Re: Fuel problems
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Was Re: "Cocaine in Car?" NOW turn signals were faded and not yellow enough."
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Alternator Belt
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

11. Okay, here's a wildly improbable formula...
From: "whydoismellsodarnbad" <whydoismellsodarnbad_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Re: Alternator Belt
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

13. Re: DeLorean Side Stripe Kits
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

14. Re: Need some air!--Success
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

15. Re: "Cocaine in Car?"
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: Roof door seal replacement
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

17. Re: Car # 3000 on eBay again
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

18. Re: Carcoon
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

19. Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

20. Re: "Cocaine in Car?"
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

21. RAFFLE CAR
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

22. Factory cost
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. Re: Okay, here's a wildly improbable formula...
From: "Eric Itzel" <ericsdmcmail_at_dml_seviernet.com>

25. Re: Car # 3000 on eBay again
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 10:29:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel problems

Jack,
On my web site there is a picture on the lines coming from underneath the
car showing which one is which. Go to almost the bottom of the page and
enlarge the image.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/fuel-injection.html

Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com
Come hang out in The DMC Lounge --
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMCLounge/

Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:53:18 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Jack,

The baffle (I assume you're talking about the original) just slips into the
tank through the fuel pump hole, it will then attach to the tank with the
metal stud that is glued to the bottom of the tank.  Connect your supply and
return lines in the tank and put the fuel pump and boot in as one unit.
It's also easier if you have already attached the feed line to the top of
the fuel pump and the return line to the top of the rigid return hose.  Then
simply run the two hoses through the top fuel pump cover, and the two wires
out the side and clamp that down.  Connect the feed and return lines to the
rigid ones attached to the frame, plug in the fuel pump electrical
connection and you're done.

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 17:10:41 -0000
From: "secret_jedi_guy" <secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Need some air!--Success

Thanks for the advice on making a new air intake.  It looks great and
works great, except for one thing.  I do need to adjust the mixture
screw to accomodate for the increased airflow.  I think the fuel is
running rich.  I can smell it in the exhaust when I start it.  It has
kind of a sweet smell.  Not that I'm sitting there inhaling it :D  I
just need to know where the mixture screw is and which way to turn
it.  Is it the one on top of the fuel distributor or is it somewhere
else?  With this last little adjustment it will be ready for me to
show at the AZ-D club meet in Vegas.

Thanks again

Japheth Deaux
VIN: 1223

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 11:45:13 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Jack,

This is a picture from John Hervey's site...
http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/fuel-line-connection.jpg

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 12:09:30 -0400
From: "Rex" <sephiroth_at_dml_merriman.com>
Subject: Re: The trip to see Carl, and the Gold DeLorean. Kind of like an update.

Hello again DML,

I've noticed some are having issues getting the photos from the album...
I have erased them from the album and put them in the Files section under the same folder...

Have an exellent day!

Rex (Flame broiled shirt guy)
VIN: TBA

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:12:55 -0000
From: "Robert Patz" <topgunster_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: "Cocaine in Car?"

Once when I was pulled over by an officer, he asked for my licence.
I opened the door to hand him my license. When the door opened the
officer jumped back three feet and pulled his gun and asked, "What
kind of car is that?"
BOB - - - - 808
5144

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 18:55:13 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

If memory serves the line closest to the tank is the high pressure line.  I
cannot be sure however as it has been awhile since I connected them.
Special T Auto may have a reference picture, again, if memory serves.
However, I'm sure the diagram in the parts manual may have an image showing
where it goes or on DMCH's website.

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:34:46 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_s...> wrote:

Hi Jack.. you have to dissasemble the baffle inside the tank and pull it out and
put it back together in the tank.. yeah i know pretty stupid dont know why they
did it like that... it just snaps apart though..Dave...

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 16:07:02 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Was Re: "Cocaine in Car?" NOW turn signals were faded and not yellow enough."

I have heard about the faded turn signal problem but I  believe I have seen
some new cars that had turn signals with clear lenses and  white bulbs.  Is
this how they come or is someone just not putting in amber  bulbs?

Dē &  6530

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 16:15:30 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Alternator Belt

So what exactly is THE correct way to adjust the tension of a belt? I have
heard and read that you should be able to deflect it about a 1/2", but this
method always makes me wonder about how hard to push on it.

Also what is the best way / tool to use to apply the tension with.  I  seems
to remember that on a Dodge I had there was a place to attach a  torque wrench
to the alternator so you could actually measure the tension.

...It is unlikely you will get the correct tension doing it with the
screwdriver as
tight as you can method.

Dē & 6530

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:17:15 -0000
From: "whydoismellsodarnbad" <whydoismellsodarnbad_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Okay, here's a wildly improbable formula...

...but to get at the initial capital invested to produce each and
every Delorean Motor Car ever made, let's say...

$3M from the Sports Car Partnership + $18M research from the limited
partnership + $25M from bank of america + $1.5M private investors
+$135M from loans of the British Government DIVIDED BY 9200 cars
produced.

(Figures gleaned from two minutes at home.no/delorean)

Granted, that would also include the cost of the brick and mortar of
the facility, but I think that, and payroll, etc. should be included.

With the calculator on my cell phone, the number that comes out to
is:

182,500,000/9200 = $19,836.96 per car.

I welcome anybody to challenge this.  My math is bad and my figures
are probably inaccurate.  Maybe there's some money I'm not counting.

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:36:26 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Alternator Belt

Thanks for the advice to those who responded to my alternator belt question.
I believe the alternator is not lined up 100% with the water pump and
cranckshaft pully.  I think I might have installed my alternator adjusting
bracket backwards.  I'll have to compare it with the before and after
pictures I have.

My newest problem occured again today while leaving work.  My key wouldn't
turn in the ignition.  I ended up hotwiring the car in the parking lot.
After I got the engine cranked I relized I couldn't drive anywhere because
the steering wheel was still locked.  After wiggling the key for 10 minutes
it finally turned.  After I got home I tried turning the key again and it's
stuck, again.  I shot a generous amount of graphite lube in.  It's still
screwed up.  I guess I'll have to get another ignition.  Are ignitions hard
to find?  I'd like to modify my car to start with a flip of a switch and a
push of a button.  Has anyone ever done a mod like that?

Lingo #2034

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 20:51:06 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Side Stripe Kits

Mike,

The NOS stock kits will have silver DMC lettering and silver stripes
printed on them, the repros, that I have seen, are cutouts, allowing
the SS to show through.  The originals also have a "shiney edge" on
them, where it appears they went through a press of some kind with
rollers that flatend the material along the edge.  Probably during the
application of the silver material.

Using them, well that would depend on the adhesive quality after 25
years.  You can probably add some kind of 3M spray adhesive to use
them, but it would be iffy at best.

Bernie
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Packodenton_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Dear All,
>>
>> A recent purchase of original side stripe kits (NOS DMC dealer

inventory)

>> has me concerned. Should these kits be "saved" or can the kit be

installed  on

>> the car?
>>
>> In addition, how can you tell the difference between an original

large side

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:24:26 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Need some air!--Success

Changing the air box will not affect the mixture - leave the screw
alone. The DeLorean has a type of air mass meter which means it actually
measures the air entering the engine.

Martin

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:12:56 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

The only time I got pulled over in my D is when I was speeding one
day.  (45 in a 35.)  The funny thing is, the officer did not even seem
to notice/care what I was driving.  It was just "licence and
registration...  do you know why I pulled you over?...  here's a
ticket."  He didn't even flinch an eyebrow when the gullwing came up!
But, when I went to court for it, the judge was rather impressed when
he saw "DeLorean" on the ticket.  He threw it out.  :)

Corey

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:48:08 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Roof door seal replacement

i think you have to remove the T panel-not an easy job as i have been
trying to get mine off for a while. it is glued down to the pad.

to remove, under door seal, 3? screws each side.
theneither bend the tabs at the back or remove the plastic vent and
tabs should? clear the body.

then you have to slide a flat plastic spatula or similar under and try
to prise off the glued pad. easy off very slowy and carefully
otherwise you could bend the panel.
one free it slides back and off.

i think you then have to drill out rivets that fix the seal to the
door edge.
specialT or grady etc sell the new seals.

hope this helps

regards

steve
vin 1621
UK

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:55:02 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Car # 3000 on eBay again

they haven't done there homework either....'will sell for $5700.

if a car is this good and genuine...i'll take it at $5700.

ebay really need to clean up their act. they should cover any fraud
whatsoever, afterall if you buy over the net with a credit card, the
purchase is covered so why can't ebay??.

Regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Under a new name and location, car #3000 is for sale on eBay again.

The

>> auction number is 4579494390.  And I've never seen a negative

feedback

Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:53:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Carcoon

I misinterpeted the rate. It still makes it expensive but not that
much. I still wonder if it is worth the difference between the car
capsule and the carcoon? Thanks Martin.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> You're exchange rate is a bit up the wall there, David!
>>
>> http://www.xe.com/ucc/
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> [MODERATOR'S NOTE: For those that want the bottom line, the exchange

rate at the time I just looked was 1.76 dollars per pound]

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 18:49:21 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)

I'd be interested in something like that.  At first I wanted to make my car
concourse quality.  However, it'd be nice to put some balls in the engine
compartment.

Lingo #2034
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 00:06:21 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

I haven't been stopped yet, but have my line prepared as the door
opens:

"I'm sorry officer, I just arrived from the future and I'm not
familiar with your laws yet, did I do something wrong?"

I'm hoping it's the best excuse he's heard and will let me out of a
ticket.  Either that or he'll take me away in a straight jacket.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Robert Patz" <topgunster_at_dml_d...>

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:02:57 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: RAFFLE CAR

Well we are on our way the first 6 tickets were sold today.

Thanks for the support

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:29:50 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Factory cost

It is reported in one of the books, either Dream Maker, or Grand Delusions,
that DMCL factory cost to assemble the car was $13,000. Dealer cost was
$16,000  and retail was $25,000+

At the end, dealers wanted $18,000 retail. My 1983 from KAPAC has a sales
paper for $22,500 discounted from $32,000.

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 01:18:30 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Bob Brandys did a V-8 swap in his BTTF car.  Not a chevy though.  He
used a Land Rover V-8 if I recall correctly.  As for the trans, again,
if I recall correctly he used one from a Porsche.  I believe he also
converted the car to an automatic when he did the swap.  But, I'm sure
he, or someone else here who has done a V-8 swap, would be able to
elaborate more on things like what types of transmissions will work or
anything else that needs to be rebuilt, replaced, or swapped in the V-
8 conversion proccess.

Corey
2423
(I mention Bob because he is who popped into mind when the V-8 swap
topic started.  Hey, Bob, remember me?  My D was parked next to your
time machine at the BTTF showing at Marcus Theaters in Orland Park.)

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:47:16 -0400
From: "Eric Itzel" <ericsdmcmail_at_dml_seviernet.com>
Subject: Re: Okay, here's a wildly improbable formula...

Good math job!

I have 2 questions to add, if anyone can answer them-

1) Who got the investment money- DMC or DMCL?

2) How much did DMC charge DMCL per car (I presume that the DMC company had
to buy the cars from the manufacturer).

Thanks!

Eric

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 02:35:21 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I'll look into that, I know the ebay guys' pilot and next time I talk
to him I will see if he can do anything.

Josh

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_y...>