Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2908
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:4 Oct 2005 00:09:34 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: Car # 3000 on eBay again
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: White/Amber bulbs
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Nostalgic DMC Video
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Car Show in NJ next weekend
From: "Flavia" <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Car # 3000 on eBay again
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

6. Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. RE: DeLorean Side Stripe Kits
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>

8. Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <AdmiralSenn_at_dml_flbb.net>

9. Re: Trailing Arm Bolts Replacement Advice Please......:) Update
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Factory cost
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>

13. Re: Re: Fanzilla Clone FINALLY installed & bugs worked out
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>

14. RE: Re: DeLorean FAQ Fact Sheet - Update
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Full Mixture adjustment guide
From: "Ontario DeLorean Owners Club" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>

16. RE: Need some air!--Success
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

18. QAC-installed Legend twin turbos?
From: Rob Hook <rob_hook_at_dml_cavtel.net>

19. RE: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

20. Re: Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Factory cost
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

23. Re: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts Replacement Advice Please......:) Update
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Factory cost
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. my first Delorean; vin11501 (a bit long)
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:44:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Car # 3000 on eBay again

This was the second or third time this car has been
listed, fraudulently, on ebay...and every time, I
contact them and tell them within about 10 hrs of the
listing and it takes days for them to remove it!
They def. NEED to clean up their act.

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 02:43:03 -0000
From: "John Rydholm" <ebondefender_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: White/Amber bulbs

I've no idea. When I bought my DeLorean used, it had the original
stock boards with all clear white bulbs in it. I have since replaced
the boards with newer aftermarket ones and put the amber bulbs in.
Helpsh a lott!  :)
Johnny Rydholm
Grey 5-speed '82 #10715

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> I have heard about the faded turn signal problem but I  believe I

have seen

>> some new cars that had turn signals with clear lenses and  white

bulbs.  Is

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 20:28:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Nostalgic DMC Video

I just had a free moment to watch this vid and all I
have to say is wow! Cool video:)
Was that the theme music from "Jurasic Park"?!?
I think the music fits perfectly  :)
If anyone on the list hasnt taken a moment to watch
this vid yet, then I suggest you do...gives me a nice
warm feeling to see the D being built... The begining
of the legond and materialization of the dream.  :)
Jonathan Minor

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 03:13:29 -0000
From: "Flavia" <frvianna_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Car Show in NJ next weekend

I came back from the DeLorean Mid Atlantic fall foliage tour this
afternoon and it was a really fun weekend, great pictures!

For those that were there, I gave some flyers about a car show that the
Honor Society at my college organizes every year to benefit the
American Cancer Society. It's always great to have DeLoreans there! So
if you are around Somerville area in NJ, here's the info on the show:

http://www.raritanval.edu/StudentActivities/Phitheta/carshowOCT05.htm

Hope to see more DeLoreans there!

Flavia - NJ

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 02:49:51 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Car # 3000 on eBay again

What O What is wrong with people the guy has a -1 feedback and the
only vehicle "he sold" the winner left a negative and saying that the
Vehicle he won(minivan) was a scam(fraud/beware) AND he is a newbie
on ebay on top that!! HOW many warning bells do these(16 so far)
people need before they relize something is fishy.

cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_y...>

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 07:07:45 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Nostalgic DMC Video

I loved it too(put a tear in my eye)But at the same time I was
looking for things I could I.D. one of course was JZD for a brief
second,shown walking thru the plant(that was a first for me seeing
him "in the shop" the other was seeing vin 649 and 650( just the
frame/motors) on the assembly line,supposeded the first cars sold to
the general public! The mystery thing in the video is: Was that frame
on the Tellas(remote assembly line car transporter)towards the
beginning of the video,I swear that frame is Stainless Steel! It also
has a very different front frame extension.
Also the part on the end was very sad,as there was NOTHING JZD could
do to get those poor people their jobs back.It reminded me of the
exact same ending(for the workers) at the Bricklin Factory.

Cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:43:56 -0400
From: "Jack Singer" <jsinger_at_dml_i-c.net>
Subject: RE: DeLorean Side Stripe Kits

Mike,

I have a couple of originals if you want to compare.

Jack,
20069, 10002

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:56:09 -0000
From: "supremeadmiralsenn" <AdmiralSenn_at_dml_flbb.net>

Yes, that is the Jurassic Park music. John Williams is a really
incredible composer. I have a better-quality mp3 of the music if
somebody wants to redo the video with it...

What's the deal with the sit-in? I didn't even know that happened; I
thought there were a lot of people happy to have the factory there..

-Adam Stadnick
Slowly getting closer to Eagle Scout - Eagle Project completed -  and
thus closer to owning my own D.

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:55:14 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Trailing Arm Bolts Replacement Advice Please......:) Update

Hi

Thanks to all who emailed me and sent pics etc you were all a great
help.

Managed to do the #pig# drivers side one on saturday. Yes its an
automaitic.... A friend and i spent around 5 hours down a proper pit,
getting the old bent tab out and the new one back in. Old tab was in
an as new and shiny condition, only it was definatley bent perhaps 3
degrees about centre and of my 3no shims on that side, one was 50
percent rotated to the others . Bolt torque was checked prior to
removal and it was definatly not loose. Only the bend in the bolt was
making the shims rotate.

Thank god the head on the bolt had an allen key fitting, there is no
way of getting a socket and wrench back on the inside to torque it
all back up... and to any one who has had to do this job with the car
just on ramps my deepest sympathies!

I will be doing a 'How too' on this for future reference. Writing it
up whilst it is fresh in our memories  :)

BTW I like the video link of the factory  posted recently.. with the
guy tightening up that tab... wish it was that easy!

Easier side will be done in the near future ...

And on another positive note my occasional rear clunk has definatley
now gone.....

Regards

Mike
#2001 Auto
Yorkshire, UK

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_b...>
wrote:

>> Hi All
>>
>> I am going to tackle my trailing arm bolts replacement tommorow , i
>> have a new set of bolts from Hervey and some new SS shield nuts

from

>> Grady.
>> I cant really see a 'how to' anywhere on this, I have found the
>> article on the DML tech page but without sounding ungreatful its a
>> little bit sketchy and disjointed. Has anyone documented this or

have

>> any advice on the same. If i have known i wouldnt get any
>> instructions whatso ever i would have gone for tobys tabs but hey

you

>> live and learn.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice guys... I will be documenting this and doing

>> pictured 'how to' .
>>
>> With his permission, I have recently done a front lowered

replacement

>> spring swap 'how to' in the the style of 'Jordan Rubin', this

should

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 23:15:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have seen this video before, but it has been quite
some time since than.  Wow, I loved just seeing the
dirt being broken on the ground.  And the man that got
on one of the "floor sweepers" - was that John?  I
can't tell but I want to say yes.  Seeing that worker
bobbing one of the doors up and down - that was cool!
And that left front fender being put on, heh, when
they were "widely available".

Great video.  I wish whoever did this one would do
more of them.  Fantastic.

Jeremiah

Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 21:06:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Factory cost

Hello,

Interesting.. I was talking with two DeLorean owners
today at the british car show in SD, one with an oct
81 grey/auto DeLorean and another with a dec 81
grey/manual DeLorean and both Deloreans were sold for
about 32K each.   Apparently this was when the car was
selling for top dollar.

-Chris

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:37:13 -0500
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Engine swap Chevy 350 :)

When I was doing my engine swap, originally, I was going to go with a Chevy
L98 or LT1 motor.  However, having the auto tranny, I didn't have enough
room due to the huge size of the custom bellhousing.  I had to go with the
'94 Vortec 4.3 motor instead and to get the extra room, I had to put on a
short water pump and convert the motor over to a v-belt setup.  (I REALLY
wanted to keep the serpentene setup and I'm going to look to see if anyone
makes a kit for a short water pump setup)  Anywho, its a good thing I went
with the 4.3 because even a L98 would have torn that trans to bits (in stock
form, there may be some people here who have modified the tranny to handle
more who can chime in)

On the transmission side, I opted for a 915 5 speed transmission out of a
911 Porsche.  The stock DMC half shafts mounted DIRECTLY up to the tranny
with no modifications whatsoever.  Now, with the 915 tranny in there, I
could EASILY have moved everything forward (towards the front of the car)
and get a V8 in there.  However, if I ever decide to do this again
(hmmm.....Ken, Josh, or Rich...any of you guys gotta a spare car layin
around  ;)  ) I would go with a G50 6 speed unit (pricey at about
$2000-$2,500) and mount it to a LS1 or LS6 motor.  I have considered going
back and doing this as it wouldn't be that bad, however I'm actually
enjoying driving the car.

Knowing what I know now, that's the setup I'd run. G50 + LS1 or 6.  It would
be the cheapest way to get the most hp along with dependability.  I would
guess the price would be about $6 to $8K to do, but it'd be worth it.  If
you wanted to go mild like mine, the swap ran me around $4k for everything
and runs like a champ.....but now I want more power. Its an addiction.
Heck, I think even if I had the LS6 in there, eventually I'd want more.  :)

Take care,

Duke
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:29:42 -0500
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_att.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Fanzilla Clone FINALLY installed & bugs worked out

Welp, I've got all the little problems squared away with the relay
compartment and also got the other cooling fan going in the right direction.
I installed the new Baker electronics fan fail fix and its working great.
It staggers the fan on one at a time and also illuminates the 'cooling fan
fail' light when they're running.  Granted, its only been in there one day,
but it seems like a very well designed unit.  I'll post in a few weeks on
how well its working.

Thanks again to Chris, John, Rob and everyone else that helped me out the
last few days with the re-wiring of the relay compartment, the backwards fan
motor, and the headlight switch.  I really appreciate it.

Take care,

Duke

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:12:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLorean FAQ Fact Sheet - Update

Not mocking. Those are the actual questions I get.
I think it is very helpful too, however... how about you create one to your own
liking with the editable version I gave you last week... for free, shipping
included  ;-)

UK versions now available (pricing & other changes).
http://www.ohiodeloreans.com/gallery-Fact%20Sheet.htm

Shannon Y
16506

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:19:29 -0400
From: "Ontario DeLorean Owners Club" <ken_at_dml_odoc.ca>
Subject: Full Mixture adjustment guide

I am just wondering . Has anybody put together all the information about
adjusting your mixture and idle speed Into 1 big guide?

If so where could I find this?

If not .. does anybody have anything they would like to submit and I will
put something together?

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 08:04:31 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Need some air!--Success

In theory an adjustment shouldn't be necessary for this change. The K-jet
senses the amount of air flow and meters fuel accordingly. If the air flow
increases so does the fuel flow. If the air flow decreases, so does the fuel
flow. All cars are like this by the way, they differ only in the mechanisms
they use to achieve this behavior.

Adjustments may be necessary, but not because you added some kind of better
air filter arrangement.

-joe Kuchan

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:47:57 -0400
From: Patrick Conlon <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

I was so frustrated with the water leaks in my car and had been
working on them all day.  I had given up.  I saw this video for the
first time, and I was so inspired to finish what these factory
workers had started that I put another 9 hours into the car.  The
video really did put a tear in my eye.

Thanks for the video!
-Patrick C.
1880  (Now leak free...I think)

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:34:59 -0400
From: Rob Hook <rob_hook_at_dml_cavtel.net>
Subject: QAC-installed Legend twin turbos?

I met a gentleman with a pristine early '81 DMC here in Virginia and
while discussing the car, he mentioned that it was a twin-turbo.  I
asked which system it was and replied it was installed by the QAC and
was "the one the company had started developing".  "The Legend system?"
I asked and he said "Yeah.  That's the one."  Unfortunately I didn't
have time this time to get the VIN or look at the engine.

I would normally chalk this up to excessive boasting or puffery but this
guy is an avid car collector with at least a couple Ferraris and I
believe a classic shoebox Chevy or two.  Any chance he was right?

--Rob Hook

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:34:24 +0100
From: "Chris Hawes" <chris_at_dml_chawes.demon.co.uk>

Sounds great, can you put up some sounds and pictures plus dyna road testing
once you have the figures?

Chris H

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:34:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Nostalgic DMC Video

I agree, John Williams is incredilble.  I love his music.  Want to hear something funny?

http://www.entermyworld.com/custom/4x4wk5.zip

This is a clip of the D-Rex with a, um, interesting version of the Jurassic Park theme being played.

Chuck

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:44:31 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

I bought #5447 from the original owner; he paid $35k for it. Said he
had to pay so much over retail just to get his hands on one. Also
said, "It made me sick when they were auctioning them off for half
that some time later."

-Ryan

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 19:53:32 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Adam,

>From what I understand the sit-in was(had to do) when the plant shut
down(after JZD's bust) as shown the workers did a sit-in(after
climbing
over the CLOSED entrance gates at the plant) to TRY to get their jobs
back(reopen the factory)
Of course there was also The Bobby Sands thing,but I do not think the
video was showing that part,as towards the end of the video they were
showing the closing/ending of the factory,and the plight of the
workers.

Hope that helps
Cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "supremeadmiralsenn"
<AdmiralSenn_at_dml_f...>

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:53:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Mike,

Thanks for the updates. I plan on replacing my TABs in
the near future. Your posts have been a great help.

Joey
Catonsville, Maryland

--- Mike Bosworth <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:17:22 -0000
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

In SoCal, the first DeLoreans were sold "at Premium".  Often the
"premium" was 5-6K over list which was $26,500.  I bought a new Aug 81
build in Sept 82 from a dealer and paid $19,995 (if memory serves me -
Dave Delman has my original window sticker - along with the car).  Two
months later, after the drug scene, new D's were being listed for
under $15,000 at selected dealers.

I have the original window sticker from my 83 and it shows $34,000!!!!
 That was just Consolidated's way of making their WSJ ads showing 83's
for sale at $21,000 looking like a $13,000 discount.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 21:30:43 -0000
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>
Subject: my first Delorean; vin11501 (a bit long)

Hi DMLers,
I thought I would introduce myself (Nate).  I've been lurking in
the
shadows on this list for a few years.  I've wanted to own a
Delorean
for quite sometime (my first posts to this list were in `99).
Now
as a slightly older, and recently graduated computer engineer I am
proud as punch to say that I finally am in a place where I can afford
to own and properly maintain a D.  It took some patience but I
believe the time spent waiting was worth it.

I recently purchased vin 11501 (82,5-speed, grey, flat hood) from its
p.o. in Chicago, IL area.  I had it inspected before I committed
myself to flying in and giving it a final check before driving it
5.5hours back to the Rochester, MN area.  The trip was uneventful
except for reactions of other drivers.  As a general observation, I
enjoy the smiles, thumbs-up and other gestures however there is a
class of enthusiast, namely the 16-19year old's that sometimes
have
the most trouble gracefully acknowledging their interest.  As a
example from the trip home; the occupants of a autozone-mod'ed
Civic
were so interested in pointing, staring, shouting at my car, they
bumped into another car on the multi-lane highway resulting in a
minor fender bender (nothing against Honda's, 16-19yearolds in
general of course).

I paid close to the higher-end of the Delorean spectrum.  The car is
in very good condition having been stored indoors since 84' and I
believe driven every summer.  It was stored with some fluids removed
(i.e. Fuel), and little things like the shift linkage lubricated
annually, leather conditioner, and the like.  I've driven seven
Delorean's in the last few months and some of the little things
that
the p.o. did when storing the car seem to have paid off.

Perhaps it's my pessimistic side, but I am slightly anxiously
waiting
for the first major component to fail… given the age of the car,
and
the mostly original components, (minus the recalls, trailing arm
bolts, and electrical/fuel updates), just by a Mean Time To Failure
view, it seems like something should break soon.

Things I'm working on / questions;

1) I took all the headliner boards out, anyone have a good online
source of matching headliner material?

2) Fuel pump gets loud after running for long periods. (at first I
thought it was the fans running!), so perhaps that will be the first
thing to fail.  I think I'll replace it just because it's
easier to
fix something failing before its necessary to fix it.

3) Doors only lift about 1/3 of total travel on their own.  Ordered
new struts (p.o. said a torsion bar adjust will be necessary, but the
struts look/sound pretty darn old, so I'll try those first).

4) The steering wheel makes metal-on-metal knocking noises when moved
by the operator, or by vibrations.  Looking where the column meets
the pedal box/'firewall' it would seem my bushing is MIA.
Ordered a
new one.

5) Engine surges from 550-ish RPM to 950-ish RPMs, but will settle
down around 800-900 if I rev it a couple times.  Additionally
sometimes it acts like the accelerator cable is stuck (isn't of
course) and `settles down' much higher (around
2000rpm's).  It
corrects itself after I put some load on the engine (reverse or
first).  I haven't had a chance to form an opinion on that yet;
if
someone wants to advice me I would appreciate it.

My wife asked awhile ago why it was so important that I buy and
Delorean.  The best answer I could come up with was that just as a
artist needs a good/inspirational view or subject, a engineer needs
simaularly 'moving' peice of engineering (even keyboard jockies like
myself).  For all the DMC-12's compromises, I belive it is a
inspirational example of good engineering.  Everyone has thier
reasons, thats mine.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a short post, I apologize for the
length.  I hope to meet a few of you minnesota-area/midwest owners
offline over the next spring-car-show schedule and even more of you
at the 2006 Chicago show.

-Nate Skalsky