Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2909
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:4 Oct 2005 01:06:59 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Alternator Belt
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

2. Re: Factory cost
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 00:27:09 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator Belt

Good question. The manual (M:04:01) says 6-10 mm with moderate thumb
pressure from the top. So what is moderate and how do you measure
the deflection? I use to do it with a long straight edge I had and I
used a flat edge to deflect the belt.

I found that the best way to assure proper tightening was to do it
when the engine is cold. After a few service cycles I retightened
the belt with the engine cold.

After a few belt replacements I just went with the feel. Usually the
belt will slip some if the car has been in the rain and the engine
is cold. Otherwise I have had no problems - except a defective belt
broke on me once (a Gates). I know it was defective because I could
never get the belt quite tight enough. It would not feel tight and
it slipped a lot. Before I could replace it split apart and came
off. New belt too. So, if a belt seems to be giving a problem
replace it. I always carry a new spare - it is just too critical a
belt.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> So what exactly is THE correct way to adjust the tension of a

belt? I have

>> heard and read that you should be able to deflect it about a 1/2",

but this

>> method always makes me wonder about how hard to push on it.
>>
>> Also what is the best way / tool to use to apply the tension

with.  I  seems

>> to remember that on a Dodge I had there was a place to attach a

torque wrench

>> to the alternator so you could actually measure the tension.
>>
>> ...It is unlikely you will get the correct tension doing it with

the

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 17:11:40 -0700
From: "Murray Fisher" <murrayfw_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Factory cost

I purchased #05962 from the original owner with 3K miles.  It now has 8K
miles.  I have the original invoice which shows it at $25,000 plus "US
Processing Charges" $600 and 3 speed automatic transmission at $575.  Total
$26,825.   Built October 81 and sold October 12, 1982 a year later.  The
original owner paid $19,950 including all charges except the usual taxes and
license fees.He told me he purchased it the day the drug fiasco came out in
the news and people were flocking to the dealerships to buy them......He
said he purchased it on a weekend and the dealer called him and told him if
his checked bounced, to return the car as he could sell it for 35K!!
Incidentally the Seattle Times took pix of his wife with the car and ran it
the same day as the drug bust with JDZ in cuffs....it hit Associated Press
and he showed us copies of the pix and articles, from all over the world,
including London, New York, Florida etc.   HE gave me some of them.  FWIW
Dept.
Murray
Vin: 05962
Lic:  DMC-XII