Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2917
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:7 Oct 2005 22:37:25 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Interior
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Re: 2/3 lb pressure drop in 30 mins OK?
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>

3. Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. RE: You too can own some Delorean Stock
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Interior
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. more technical help needed
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

7. RE: Interior
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

8. Re: Clock repaired - thanks DML
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

9. RE: Clock repaired - thanks DML
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. DMCH's Performance Exhaust
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: You too can own some Delorean Stock
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

12. RE: Interior
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: DMCH's Performance Exhaust
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: more technical help needed
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:12:55 -0500
From: Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Interior

This may sound ridiculous, but I recently did some vinyl work for some
custom fabrication...  I used black vinyl shower curtain.  The texture
and color were perfect.  It's stretchiness and heat-gun response was
really good too.  And for like $5 at Walmart, it's a decent price for
71"^2.  When I mentioned wanting to pick up some vinyl, a friend who
also has no experience doing upholstery suggested the shower curtain,
so it wasn't my idea.  Furthermore, I have NOT yet tested this in the
sun / heat conditions in a car yet, so I can't yet speak to this
material's durability.

--Greg

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:17:15 -0400
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>
Subject: Re: Re: 2/3 lb pressure drop in 30 mins OK?

I'm wondering, where does the 15 minutes come from?

I had a problem where I would find a puddle of coolant under the
radiator when the car sat for a few hours after being driven, but no
visible leak while the engine was running. I did the 15psi for 15
minutes test, and nothing. However, if I let it sit pressurized for
18-19 minutes, I would just start to see some seepage along the
radiator tank seam.

I'm guessing the leak would get a little bigger as the radiator cooled.

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 16:31:55 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Nostalgic DMC Video

I saw it. Isn't the music from Jurassic Park?

Josh

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Greg Zapf <x86Daddy_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> Did anyone else notice the wall with various right front quarter
>> panels, presumably different iterations of the design process?  The
>> middle two (seen 52 seconds in) have some alternate, rather

futuristic

>> looks to them; the top, shorter one looks like some of the modern
>> designs out right now!
>>
>> --Greg

frame

also

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: You too can own some Delorean Stock

Would anyone with an original stock certificate be
willing to share a nice color scan?  Sort of like the
electronic version of the window sticker, it would be
nice to have a "reproduction" if you can't have an
original.

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:19:11 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Do you have any pictures to share of the "custom" interior the guy
installed in your car?

Curious as to see what an upholstery shop did to it. Would be
interesting to see.

-Joe O'Brien

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 17:31:25 -0000
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: more technical help needed

Thanks everyone for the timing advice.  I was a little disappointed I wasn't able to burn the first few layers of skin off, think of the lack of fingerprint marks on the stainless from not having sweat glands and fingerprints anymore after adjusting the timing at operating temperatures.

The next question is this, some time AFTER replacing the fuel filter, o2 sensor  and relays (rpm relay wasn't replaced cause my dumb azz clicked the wrong link and purchased the update kit without the rpm relay update) and BEFORE doing the tune up, my car became hard to start.  Cold start was no problem.  But if I started it to put it on the ramps and shut it off then tried restarting it, it sounded almost like the starter was engaging for about three seconds too long, it would sputter for a few seconds then die.  Subsequent attempts at starting resulted in it just cranking.  Leave it for half an hour and it would start right up.  I don't think the problem is as predominant when it is completely warmed up.

The previous owner replaced the fuel pump and the altertnator.  I know the rpm relay and fuel accumulators are failure points.  Does this sound like either of those?  If not, where should I look next.

Nate

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:57:02 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

I suspect you will need liberal doses of UV protect ant - especially
when black material is used.

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 14:29:40 -0400
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Clock repaired - thanks DML

does it keep time?

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 12:57:29 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Greg, That's great. I'll do that on the next clock sent in for repair. By,
the way, were picking up a car for a lot of restoration work and would you
believe the clock was working. 1st one I have seen in a while that was
working.

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:18:53 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DMCH's Performance Exhaust

Hey Everybody,

Quick question, why doesn't DMCH have anything on their website
about the performance exhaust????

It's shown in the October wallpaper calender, and I've gotten a
paper printout with orders that shows you how to send in for one
etc....but lost that amongst my huge mass of parts I'm still putting
on my car lol!  I wouldn't exactly call a mail order the best
marketing for a higher priced item...I want to see some website glam!

Is there a reason they don't have a full page shown in the upgrades
performance section outlining why you should get it and show off how
cool it looks?  I want to see some close ups and see some data
regarding the setup as I may consider getting the setup in the near
future.

Can anyone chime in?? Steve...James???
I could always call...but come on, we all want to see some update-
age dude.

Thanks,

Brandon

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:07:07 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

I don't mind at all making a color scan of the front and back. However, the
"feel" of the paper is one aspect that gives the certificates their
authenticity. The certificates are engraved. e.g. look at a USA One Dollar  bill. Where
the "spider webs" are drawn, the paper is engraved on the DMC  stock
certificates.

 Unfortunately, I know that someone is going to start making  reproductions
and sell them on Ebay...and it won't be me out of respect for  everyone else
that paid a small fortune for their DeLorean certificate.

Sincerely,
Mike

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:25:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Or a car cover.

That's what I use =)!

Custom dash cover and a car cover.  Leavy my windows
open for air ventilation since the car cover repels
water.  A cover may be in your near future if that
material gives..?

Jeremiah

Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:58:25 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH's Performance Exhaust

I still would like to hear a sound sample.  Anyone got a recorder?

Matt
VIN: 2953

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_y...>

Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 13:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: more technical help needed

>> But if I started it to put it on the ramps and shut
>> it off then tried restarting it, it sounded almost
>> like the starter was engaging for about three
>> seconds too long, it would sputter for a few seconds
>> then die.  Subsequent attempts at starting resulted
>> in it just cranking.  Leave it for half an hour and
>> it would start right up.

This to me sounds like the air/fuel ratio is out of
whack.  Not badly, but just needs to be "tuned".  My
car used to do this.  It would sputter and almost hold
on, then just die.  Cranking it like that can flood
the spark plugs, so you left it alone for a bit of
time.  Spark plugs unflood, you go to crank, engine
has been "prefilled" with fuel from previous attempt,
so your car starts fine.  I used to go through that
cycle, this is what Casey and I did to fix that.

1.  Credit to Dave Sontos - this is his site:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7u0gn/id6.html

Dwellmeter at your local Pepboys for $25.99-$49.99.
This is assuming your fuel system is fine.

2.  For that you'll need a K-Jetronic Fuel Pressure
System Checker (boy that sounded "technical") - get
one here: http://www.jcwhitney.com.  For the search
engine where it says put in "name or part #" put in:
ZX123617U.  $57.99 - some of the best you'll EVER
spend.

Once you've determined that all the fuel pressures are
A-OK, run the dwellmeter test (have a 3mm allen wrench
to tune the air/fuel screw if you have access to it).
If you have access to it, it will be in a hole between
the "plenum" and the fuel distributor.  If there is no
hole there, no one before you drilled it out and you
don't have access to it.  If that's the case, that is
a GOOD thing - no previous owner's before you will
have screwed around with it.  In the world of
pre-owned DeLoreans, that screw not being tampered
with is about as likely as getting a DeLorean with
"sliding" windows from pre-production models.  The
screw really isn't meant to be tampered with UNLESS
you're re-tuning the fuel/air mixture ratio because a
PO messed it up.  I'll bet alot of us can attest to
having to do that..

In conclusion - barring the possibility of retuning
the air/fuel ratio - you probably have a fuel pressure
issue.  If you're car starts fine but is finicky
starting warm, biggest culprits are fuel accumulator
and the O-rings in the primary pressure regulator.  If
your car takes multiple starts when cold or exhibits
engine bogdown when accelerating cold, biggest culprit
is the control pressure regulator.  My money is for
the underdog - a mixture of the mixture screw needing
to be adjusted and the O-rings in the primary pressure
regulator needing replacement.  O-rings are available
here: http://tinyurl.com/dq8bk

Man, I swear I type too much.

Jeremiah