Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2922
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:10 Oct 2005 16:50:58 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: DMC Maryland
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. RE: Fuel Air Mixture
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

3. Re: DMCH's Performance Exhaust
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

5. First year with a DMC..
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: Re: Other quality PJ Grady parts (request)
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

7. RE: Re: Other quality PJ Grady parts (request)
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

8. Re: Fir tree replacements?
From: "Robert Ensfield" <ensfield_at_dml_chartermi.net>

9. Re: Fuel Air Mixture
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

10. DCS VIN numbers / raffle car update
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: Re: DMC Maryland
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Tie Rod is off ....
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

13. Re: Re: DMC Netherlands lowering springs and shock kit
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

14. DeLorean pictured in Nov 2005 Mobile magazine
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>

15. De Lorean Photomosaic
From: "Chuck McKnight" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Sway Bar was: DMC Netherlands
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

17. Re: Fuel Air Mixture
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

18. Re: Fir tree replacements?
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Re: Sway Bar was: DMC Netherlands
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

20. Re: Abandoned in Vegas
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

21. Re: Nostalgic DMC Video
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>

22. DMA (was DMC Maryland)
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net

23. kevlar wrapped header bottle
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>

24. The NEW Delorean Motor Cars Ltd in the UK. (coming soon)
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

25. Re: Re: Other quality PJ Grady parts (request)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 21:53:53 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DMC Maryland

Guys,

The DMCMD group is mainly for owners in this region, it's at least a
3 hour drive to NYC where most of your members live.  We do not have
a paid membership thing going, and we run it through the group.

It is a small group of owners that just get together to socialize.
It is easier for us to get together down here, rather then driving
all the way up there.

We are not suggesting that anyone not join the Mid-Atlantic club.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, <rob_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> Gary & Chuck,
>>
>> Perhaps you guys should consider joining forces or at least try to

combine

>> group events in the hope of larger turn-outs at events? BTW

neither of you

>> mention New York even though the DMA's president, the most

honorable Mike

>> Deluca, and other members reside there. I don't know why it is

Mike but us

>> New Yaawkers we "get no respect".  :)
>>
>> Rob Grady

Behalf Of

>> DmcGman_at_dml_c...
>> Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 4:11 PM
>> To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>> Subject: [DML] Re: DMC Maryland
>>
>>  Sounds like Delorean Mid Atlantic to me.  (with members from

Maryland, New

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 18:06:22 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Fuel Air Mixture

Bernie,

The best way to obtain the correct adjustment without a CO meter is to
follow the directions in the Technical Information Manuel but just use an
analog dwell meter instead of both tools as the procedure suggests.
Unfortunately as David T. pointed out you probably have additional problems
such as a malfunctioning Lambda circuit or (more likely) damaged fuel
injection components from stale and/or contaminated fuel. The cause of your
problem must be resolved before fine tuning your CO adjustment as that is
the last step in properly setting up a PRV engine.

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 22:07:16 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DMCH's Performance Exhaust

Matt,

I listened to the audio clip also.  It is a good try at recording the sound but what you don't
here is the very tin can sound  it makes especially during a cold idle right after startup.

You also get an annouyingly loud tin can popcorn machine when decelerating withyour
foot off the gas pedal. This is why I changed the muffler. It smoothed the tone down
somewhat  and helped reduce the popcorn effect.    Sorry I don't have an mp3 recorder to
capture the sound. But I can say I am much happier with the results. it's very accepable to
me now.  It Is still throaty but a soother tone.    You maybe very happy with the sound the
stock DMCH system makes. It just was a little beyond comfortable to me thats all.  Stephen
has said they were going to look into developing a custom muffler that was quieter maybe
next year. I just decided not to wait any longer.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 18:13:46 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Nostalgic DMC Video

In a message dated 10/09/2005 3:59:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

I don't  suppose there is anyway that I'll ever be allowed to view
old materials  without someone getting upset?  It's not that I'll
believe/ won't  believe what in particular is said, so much as it
will add to my total  field of information.

Where were you lucky enough to find the  video?  Will there ever be
any hope for fans that deperately want to  see these older
productions?

-----------------

Make an appointment with me and come over. If you read the book Dream  Maker,
you will get all of the information in the video, either way, let me know
when you want to come over.

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 15:50:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: First year with a DMC..

Glad to hear things are going well for you John..

I don't think we even talked about the brakes that
night..  Were the pistons all seized?  Or was there
maybe just some water in the lines that boiled?

Either way, I guess you have rebuild the brake system
by now.

See you in Chicago?

<SNIP>

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:22:23 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Other quality PJ Grady parts (request)

Rich W.,

Thanks for the compliment but I wasn't really wasn't complaining about
"thrifty" owners. Many new owners are younger and less financially endowed
than the previous generation of owners which tended toward the "upwardly
mobile" side. Actually I see this as a positive development as there is
nothing more promising than a new and younger crop of enthusiasts assuming
the drivers seat. I would love to remake the HCR's but the gear-set I used
was the key to the better longevity and it was expensive to make in small
quantities (200 sets at a time). I would have to charge at least 75$ to
remake the the gear set with instructions to rebuild and would people think
of this as an option or a rip-off? Besides all that I used to build them up
my self and am not sure quality could be assured with some one doing it with
no experience.

Rob Grady

P.J. Grady Inc
-----Original .Message-----
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:24:43 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Ken,

Thanks Ken, I appreciate that.

Rob

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:38:02 -0400
From: "Robert Ensfield" <ensfield_at_dml_chartermi.net>
Subject: Re: Fir tree replacements?

I got mine from Warren at DMC Houston..Other vendors probably have  them..
Bob
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 23:55:23 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Rob,

I have an analog dwell meter on order, it should be here Tuesday.  I
sent an email of a link to the pics of what the PO has done under
the car, to the DMCMD group on Yahoo.  Aluminum foil wrapped the
around hard clutch lines, I have no idea what thats about.  It still
has the original nylon clutch line!  I have a new SS braided one to
install.  But the entire car is original with the exception of two
things, the alternator, and louver struts.

You can see the underside here:

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/WZ6Sj6HY

And after seeing a pic of your green D (absolutely beautiful), I
would put Black Beauty up against your Green one and lets see if
anyone can tell the diff in color outside on a nice clear day.

Yes I am very proud of Black Beauty #4045.  She just needs some TLC
and lots of HP, like 197HP, and no turbos.

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 20:13:57 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS VIN numbers / raffle car update

The Design of the licence plate is complete thanks to Shannon Y.
You can preview what they will look like at

_http://deloreancarshow.com/events-friday.html_
(http://deloreancarshow.com/events-friday.html)

Click on it for a full screen version.

Even if you do not make it to Chicago you will be able to purchase  them.

The plates will be the durable vinyl like we made at Pigeon Forge and gave
away at the raffle.

I think the design is real cool in that it resembles a real plate.

We will use these at the show for displaying the cars on Friday Night when
Gary Gore runs the VIN lineup for us.

More details to follow

This is one of the coolest things I think we have done so BE THERE   :-)

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Ken
DeLoreancarshow.com

PS The RAFFLE CAR ticket sales have taken off already so I take it you  liked
to see DeLoreans given away at the show.

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 17:23:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: DMC Maryland

I'm up for combining group events.

Any one from New York is welcome to join too, I did not mention them simply because they are a lot farther away from Maryland.

Chuck McKnight

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:23:25 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: Tie Rod is off ....

Thanks for all for the input.  Here is how it went...

I had been hitting it pretty hard before the post with the lower arm
supported by a block of wood.  I put the nylock back on and used it to save
the thread.

So after the readings, I decided to hit it some more and a bit harder.
After a while it did come off.  Then when I tried to remove the nut it spun
the stud.  I put some weight on the joint to hold it secure in the steering
arm and kept it from spinning.  Seemed ridicules that I had worked so hard
to get it released only to need to tighten it up to get the nut off.

I'd put new ones on now but the wife is a little irritated about the
"mystery boxes" that keep showing up.  I'll save that for later.

Thanks to all again.  And I like the idea of the tool mentioned by Rob
Grady.

Nick

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:02:38 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Re: DMC Netherlands lowering springs and shock kit

dmc_5180 wrote:

>>Jeremy,
>>
>>I have the DMCH suspension set up  and the ride is very firm and corners like it's on rails
>>this is mostly because their  rear shocks are quite stiff. if you have smooth twisty black top
>>roads in your area you will love them. if you drive on roads with cracks and bumps as
>>there are in my area you will hate them, because of the stiff rear shocks. unfortunately this
>>shock set up recently doubled in price.
>>
>>Dennis

I don't claim to be a suspension guru, but wouldn't using a rear swaybar
accomplish the same thing as increasing shock stiffness? Both help to
resist body roll, which helps the cornering, etc. but it seems like
adding a swaybar would give you the best of both worlds, better
cornering without sacrificing the smoother ride the softer stock shocks
yield.  Has anyone ever tried this? if so, how does it effect the
overall handling balance? Any added oversteer or understeer?

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:41:09 -0500
From: "Nick Kemp" <nkemp_at_dml_bwig.net>
Subject: DeLorean pictured in Nov 2005 Mobile magazine

For those who watch what magazines picture the D, check out November's
Mobile on page 76.

Article title is "Get the car of tomorrow today" and is about 8 gadgets to
update a car.  The first three require an ODB port, 4th is a radio with 20G
hard drive, 5th is a DVD player, 6th is a Bluetooth phone, 8th is a wireless
web and 8th is a GPS.

Later,

Nick

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 00:58:56 -0000
From: "Chuck McKnight" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: De Lorean Photomosaic

I am going to try to make a De Lorean Photomosaic (or maybe several)
using only photos of De Loreans.  That means I need probably about
1000 pictures to work with.  I could just get them off an image search
engine, but I do not want to be accused of stealing someone else's
photos.  Anyway, my point is, could you guys PLEASE send me lots of
photos that you do not mind me using.  Or, just give me permission to
use photos from your website(s).  Any photos of De Loreans will work,
but especially unique De Loreans such as custom paint jobs, the
prototype, DMC80 bus, gold De Lorean, etc.  I will also pick the main
photo(s) from the pictures you send me.  I really need your help to be
able to do this.  Thanks!

Chuck McKnight

P.S.  I have a very fast internet connection, so don't worry about
sending too many pictures or sending pictures too big.

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 01:14:14 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Sway Bar was: DMC Netherlands

A DeLorean rear sway bar is still available from Addco. Check
addco.com or swaybars.com. I've never seen one on a DMC, but I know
there are a few of these installations out there. It requires some
drilling of the frame and makes the bottom of the car even lower (the
bar hangs lower than the frame).

Dave Swingle

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:34:03 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Bernie wrote:

>>You can see the underside here:
>>
>>http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/WZ6Sj6HY
>>
>>Yes I am very proud of Black Beauty #4045.  She just needs some TLC
>>and lots of HP, like 197HP, and no turbos.
>>
>>Bernie

Man. I only wish my D had been that clean underneath when I got it. Mine
looked like it had been dipped in tar, then sat in saltwater for a few
months, then covered in mud for good measure...   I thought the frame
was in good shape despite it all but I'm starting to find out otherwise
after starting to repair some of the cracks in the epoxy this weekend. I
won't even go into my opinions on the epoxy...  needless to say the
stuffs tough. I finally gave up on the sandblaster and switched to a
hammer and chisel.. and found it alot more effective.

VIN# 03209

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:48:47 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

There are a number of places that sell them
Its easier to buy them from the vendors but if you buy them from a fastener
house you will need to buy the box
They usually come 50 or 100 per box

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 21:50:11 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Sway Bar was: DMC Netherlands

Dave Swingle wrote:

>>A DeLorean rear sway bar is still available from Addco. Check
>>addco.com or swaybars.com. I've never seen one on a DMC, but I know
>>there are a few of these installations out there. It requires some
>>drilling of the frame and makes the bottom of the car even lower (the
>>bar hangs lower than the frame).
>>
>>Dave Swingle

Hmm. Anyone on this list happen to have one installed that they could
post pics of?

VIN# 03209

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 02:46:55 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Abandoned in Vegas

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "secret_jedi_guy"
<secret_jedi_guy_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> This is mostly to all Las Vegas owners on the list, but anyone else
>> is welcome to chime in.
>>
>> I got a tip from work the other day that there was a D' parked in a
>> guy's driveway on Jones near Rancho.

<SNIP>

That would be Vince. Nice guy, but he just doesn't have the time to
work on the car. 5+ years sitting there would be a kind estimate. He
blew the water pump back in 1988, and the car has sat there ever
since. If I remember correctly, it's VIN 3223, but I know for certain
that it's an automatic. He and his wife both loved the car, but he
just says that he's going to get around to repairing it. Of course
he's been saying that for the past 17 years....

When it was parked, his wife told me that it was in new condition. But
once it broke down, he just got too busy with a family and his job to
turn his attention to the car. And from there, it just became less and
less of a priority.

He's a helluva nice guy, but don't think that he doesn't know what he
has, because he does. And certainly don't think that he's gonna sell
the car anytime soon, 'cause he won't. He's got a stack of business
cards from people who've offered to purchase the car over the years.
And believe you me, they do check back to see if he'll ever change his
mind. I too stop by every so often (read: couple of years) to say
hello and shoot the breeze. It may not seem like it because of the
neglect, but he really does love that car. If I'm not mistaken, soon
after he bought the car, he met his wife because of it. So it really
does hold a special place for his family. In fact, if you look close
enough, you'll see that the tires are brand new to the car. Not long
after he bought them, the car broke down.

In spite of the car, he gave me some of the best advice about my car,
shortly after I bought it. "Clubs are ok, but you don't need anyone
else's approval to enjoy your car. Let alone have to let someone tell
you HOW to enjoy it. Do what makes you happy."

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 03:15:50 -0000
From: "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Nostalgic DMC Video

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Packodenton_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Oh Gee!
>> You're not kidding VideoBob.
>>
>> I found a video from 1986 from the UK that is a documentary on the

book,

>> Dream Maker: The rise and fall of John Z. DeLorean by Fallon &

Strodes. WOW!

>> Incredible details, excellent interviews, and footage.The film

interviews people

>> that were devastated (forced into bankruptcy)  by going into

business with

>> John DeLorean and Roy Nesseth.

<SNIP>

I've never heard about any old woman, and a Malibu estate. I have
heard a rumor a long time ago about some Oklahoma dealership that
claimed JZD & Nesseth swindled him out of some cash, and a restored
Mercedes Gullwing roadster. Can't remember where I read that though.

Since I don't have a copy of the video, do you have any names of these
people that you mail to me off-list? I'm a history buff (especially
about anything DeLorean related), and would like to research things a
little.

I wouldn't consider myself a "blind follower" of John DeLorean. I'm
sure that bad things have happened because of the man. But I don't
believe he was as stong an individual as many others, or even he saw
himself. I do believe that JZD wanted to create an ethical car, and
wanted it produced by an ethical company. But I don't think that he
really knew how to do it. Sure he could put together a company, but I
don't believe that he knew how to run it the way he truly intended.
Like in the book, "On a Clear Day...", he talks about how the 14th
floor runs the company, and how they fail in many ways. From
efficiency, to ethical business practices. And how people that have
been put into power by a failed system, will not turn against it for
fear of losing the power the currentlty keeps them in place. And it
has been written that when he started to run DMC, he became what he
hated _at_dml_ GM. I think that's a dead-on statement that sums up allot.

John DeLorean was raised by GM. He hired many managerial people who
were also raised by GM. He had outside influences of Union
organizations, to parts suppliers who are used to doing business a
certain way. You want to start fresh, but no one can... How on earth
do you erase a business model, and replace it with another, when no
one has the solution on how to do so? It's like entering into a bull
ring, and trying to talk things thru with the bull, and make it
understand that it must laydown to let you win. You do that, you get
killed. Such is the nature of the automotive industry.

JZD could have said that he was living phone call to phone call. And
that the combination of muscle relaxers and whine didn't allow him to
keep his head clear. I've no doubt that's true, but I don't believe
that it was the root cause of everything bad. Ultimately, the load was
just more than he could bear. And with the ill-dealings, it's easy to
look down on someone for their actions. But it's another thing to try
and picture yourself in their position...

As for Nesseth, I've only heard rumors about past dealings, except for
Logan Mfg. (it was the profits from Logan that kept JZD hidden away in
his mansion all those years. Not any sort of shady deals in the
corner, nor any of that GPD money that I can find). I don't know too
much about Roy, except from what his two grown children told me. And
that was no matter what, he always made time for his own children. His
son Jeff did not appear to have a favorable opinion about JZD, but
they both said that in Roy's life, his children always came first.

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 04:36:34 +0000
From: DmcGman_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: DMA (was DMC Maryland)

Bernie,
  I never thought you were suggesting that anyone not join DMA.  As you state below, (as was my belief),"DMCMD group is mainly for owners in this region"  I assume that means MD.  As Chuck wrote he seemed to be encouraging members from the Mid Atlantic States to join as he mentions NY and other states for example.  That didn't seem like the MD region.  Of course many of us belong to more than one group and in fact we have members from states very far away.  I just didn't understand the need for two Mid Atlantic Region clubs.  Its great to have small regional clubs in one state or area.  In fact were are looking into creating sub chapters in the states our club serves that may be a two or three hour drive from the areas where events are mainly held.  We are also looking at having more events out of the traditional areas, such as the recent Fall Tour in CT and RII.  I for one would love to see and event planned in MD from our MD members.  In fact I attended a National Car Club event in Hunt Valley, MD for another car I owned and it was great.  In any event if you would like to discuss any of this please feel free to email myself or any officer privately.  I don't want clog up the list with this, but would be happy to discuss it.  Combining two local clubs to form a larger regional club is a good idea.  Thats how DMA was formed.  Again just didn't see the need to create something that already exists for this region, but I would like to see more events in the outlying Mid Atlantic States such as MD.  The more Delorean get togethers the better.

Gary Gore
Vice President
Deloreann Mid Atlantic
www.deloreanmidatlantic.com

<<Chuck wrote

Any one from New York is welcome to join too, I did not mention them simply because they are a lot farther away from Maryland.
Chuck McKnight>>

<<Bernie wrote
The DMCMDD group is mainly for owners in this region, it's at least a3 hour drive to NYC where most of your members live. We do not havea paid membership thing going, and we run it through the group.It is a small group of owners that just get together to socialize.It is easier for us to get together down here, rather then drivingall the way up there.We are not suggesting that anyone not join the Mid-Atlantic club.
Bernie>>

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:36:53 -0000
From: "delorean6859" <tmadsop_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: kevlar wrapped header bottle

A recent thread about concerns for a galvanic reaction between a stainless header coolant bottle and aluminum sparked an idea.  This group tends to shoot ideas down pretty quickly by spotting flaws so I am posting this.... What if I wrapped a coolant bottle in kevlar using a fiberglass epoxy to strengthen it and protect it from heat?  I realize the cost is prohibitive for many owners but I am considering trying this myself with some old kevlar I have around.  I'm not looking to stop rounds here, but I think it should strengthen an original bottle, maintain an original look (kevlar fiber is a yellowish tan color) and make a bottle that will withstand anything that you could throw at it in the engine compartment.  As I said, I want to turn 6859 into the absolute most up to date type of Delorean (as soon as I do this I'll probably sell her and look for another challange  :)

Nate

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:30:19 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: The NEW Delorean Motor Cars Ltd in the UK. (coming soon)

The NEW  Delorean Motor Cars Ltd in the UK.  (coming soon)

Well,You thought it was confusing that DMCH called itself Delorean
Motor Company,well check this one out,it is Called,  Delorean Motor
Cars Ltd,(that was the direct company name OF THE factory ! And this
happens to be in the UK to boot.) (coming soon)

http://tinyurl.com/76mp2

Regards
cbl

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:52:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

put me down for 2 HCR speedo angle drives also!

Jamie Hamlin