Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2932
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:15 Oct 2005 21:36:29 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Some of the best lines...
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Re: First year with a DMC..
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: Early Door Keys
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>

4. RE: Parking brake fitting & adjustement
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Taillight housing fasteners
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

6. Bare Metal/car show
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>

7. Re: oil leak in valley-o-death (was first week of ownership blues (crankshaft se
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. Re: Automatic Governor
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

9. RE: Fuse #5 blowing
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. tie rod end removal
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: What else used our alternators?
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>

12. AW: Fuse #5 blowing
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

13. Houston Club to go to Winery Oct 22nd
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

14. Re: Automatic Governor
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Parking brake fitting & adjustement
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:48:47 -0000
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Some of the best lines...

During my fruitless searces for a good DeLorean
(I KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE)
I have heard some of the owners best lines...

"It only costs 15K, I keep the price down so people can fix it up
for 5K more..."
(It was a 5k car, that needed 15K of TLC... If one was lucky)

"The title is almost clear.."
(Like I almost have it sold to you so it's gonna be your problem...)

"I'll buy another one a little later"
(I'm going to do it right the next time...)

I like the line of a true DeLorean owner who said...
"You have to really, really love this car, because it will try as
hard as it can to make you hate it"

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:18:53 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: First year with a DMC..

John.. I have the same problem with the facia and would like to find a fix
also.  My mechanic thinks it is caused by heat distorting the facia.   If I
find out how to fix it I will let you know.

    The large dent in the door should be an easy  fix..find someone who
advertises a paintless dent repair.  A friend of mine  does this and the results
are incredible.  I'll check with him next week to  see if he knows of anyone in
the Greenville, etc areas.

Roy  #0893

In a message dated 10/14/2005 8:31:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net writes:

1) Front  and rear facias don't line up with body.  Anyone know how to
fix  this?
2) Large dent in drivers door.  Does anyone know somebody who  can fix
this in the Greenville, SC Charlotte or Atlanta  area?

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:20:44 -0700
From: "delorean3502" <delorean_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: Early Door Keys

Go to a locksmith, not a hardware store.
Lloyd--#3502

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 21:25:36 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Parking brake fitting & adjustement

Chris,
If you take out the pin and screw the large screw in till the pads are where
you want them while turning the rotor and put the pin back in. Or, You can
also take the pin out and lift up on and release the handle a few times and
they will self adjust. The self adjust just might be a little to tight.

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 03:14:02 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Taillight housing fasteners

dmcchaser,

You might want to try something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/7ubxe

It's basically rivitnuts kit

Hope that helps

cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_j...> wrote:

>>   I pulled the circuit boards out last weekend to re-solder.....
>>   My question is - Is there a way to replace the rusted nuts that

mount into the rear facia to hold the light assemlies?

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 03:14:09 -0000
From: "byrondelorean" <celiambyron_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Bare Metal/car show

You know,
I was just thinking to myself while exhibiting my D at a classic car
outing this evening.  The same sites, all the Easter egg colored
classics painted due to bondo galore?! Be proud of the fact you have
straight stainless panels. When you speak to onlookers, Emphasize
the fact that you are bare metal. Nothing hidden on the D. We drive
bare metal Cars. If any of you ever tried to buy a classic,
paint may prevent you from the truth. On our cars the proof is
always in front of you.
Drive safe.

Quick Question
If our memory bumpers ever suffer a minor scrape, is there a method
to buff it out? Does the black portion of the bumper have a co
extruded base?
What I mean is, does the black surface coat have another color
beneath?

Thanks BC

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 03:39:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: oil leak in valley-o-death (was first week of ownership blues (crankshaft se

Do not attempt to reinstall the intake manifold without repairing the
broken bolt. You will not be able to install without having a large
air leak and the motor will run badly. If the corrodded hole went into
a pressurized oil passage you may not have enough oil pressure if you
just epoxy it, pressurized oil will just leak out.

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 03:45:07 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Automatic Governor

This is a fairly common problem on automatics. The shift computer can
usually be repaired but worst case is replacement and it is under
$400. The real problem is if it is not fixed you can cause serious
(read expensive) problems to the internals of the transmission if you
keep driving on it. If you can handle a soldering iron you can
probably repair it yourself with some advice. Pull the dipstick and
see if the fluid level is OK and the fluid does not smell burnt. If
the fluid is alright you can usually get by with just the shift computer.

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:49:42 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Fuse #5 blowing

Louie, You might look around the otterstat, #5 powers that also and if the
wire hit the exhaust manifold there would be the short.

From:Louie
Subject: [DML] Fuse #5 blowing

The other day my car started repetedly blowing out fuse #5.

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 05:07:59 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: tie rod end removal

I am trying to replace both tie rod ends but can not or don't know how
to get them off. I thought I knew but they are being very honory. any
ideas on how to get those suckers off? I sprayed PB blaster on them
and let them soak for a few minutes and put a pair of vice grips on
the old end and used a wrench on the nut but it didn't move. I tried
the vise versa but the same result. My guess is that it is stuck on
there due to it being 23 years old and I am a weakling, but that's
just me.:)

Josh

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:51:12 -0000
From: "John Poland" <jpoland13_at_dml_charter.net>
Subject: Re: What else used our alternators?

I just had a rebuilt GM 105 amp alternator put in my car about a month
ago.  No electrical problems since.Light, wipers, ac all on and still
pulling over 13 amps at idle.  Bought it at a local rebuild shop for
$55 plus a $20 core charge.  He even milled the mounting point to fit
the bracket.  It even fits on the same belt.  If anyone is interested
shoot me an email off-list and I'll see what I can do.

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 07:30:34 +0200
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Fuse #5 blowing

Louie,

fuse #5 also powers the thermal fan switch. Check it out if one
wire is off and touches the pipe. At least start looking in this area,
as it is most important that your cooling system works.

Good luck

Elvis

Hi Group,

The other day my car started repetedly blowing out fuse #5. When this
happens the idles suddenly drops very low, and all my dash gagues
cease working. I looked in my workshop manual and see that fuse #5
powers the dash gagues and the service interval counter. Is there a
common failure that causes fuse #5 to blow? Any help would be great...
I miss driving the car this time of year when it's so nice outside!

Louie Golden
VIN 5252 Charlotte, NC

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:59:09 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Houston Club to go to Winery Oct 22nd

Next Saturday, October 22nd, the Houston club is planning on going to
Messina Hof in Bryan Texas for lunch and a visit of the winery. If you
are in the Houston area, have not been contacted about this and would
like to go, send me an email for information.

Shannon Birdwell

Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 17:03:58 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey GBS,

Pretty easy, talk to John

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/clutch-transmission.html

He charges $250 to update the governor and you'll be running like
new.  Just make sure to do it before it shifts down and blows the
tranny.  You'll probably also spend another 50 or 100 replacing the
transmission pan gaskets and might as well the filter "while you're in
there".  You have to drop the pan to remove one of the wire
connections.  Not terribly difficult but gives you the chance to clean
up the transmission while you're there.

Brandon
Vin 3323

Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:51:16 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Chris,

When you pull the rear wheel off, you'll notice towards the front of the
caliper a large screw with a flat head, there should also be a cotter pin
going through the head of the screw to prevent the adjustment from moving on
its own.  When you have the caliper mounted over the rotor, remove this
cotter pin and tighten the screw until the parking brake pads are just shy
of rubbing on the rotor.  All of this is done with the parking brake handle
fully released.  Put the pin back in and do the same to the other side.
When you think you have both done give the handle a pull, the wheels should
be locked within a few "clicks".  The pads will not move much when you pull
on the handle so be sure you have the pads as close to the rotor as possible
without really rubbing.

Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732