Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2939
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:20 Oct 2005 12:34:19 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>

From: Jeff Angiwn <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. Re: Strange acceleration problem
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

20. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Engine vacuum problems?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. Election Reminder-DeLorean Owners Association
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>

23. Re: Flooded Delorean on Ebay
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: trailer hitch
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

25. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:08:51 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Flooded Delorean on Ebay

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_g...>
wrote:

>> Right -- That would be why flooded DeLoreans sell for 1/4 the price.
>>
>> --
>> - Ryan
>> http://www.memfrag.com - Make your favorites globally accessible

I don't know. This car sold buy it now on ebay for $5k or so. I only paid $8k
for mine. Mine could have been made perfectly drivable and reliable for
about another $2k but I chose to do a complete ground up rebuild so i'll
likly have $15k or so in it when i'm done.

I actually tried to aquire #4004 for parts and possibly to rebuild when I
finish this one, but due to email problems I was having at the time I missed
some emails from the guy. So  I imagine I missed out on it as he said he
was moving to germany and i'm sure he's sold the car and moved by now.

Chris
VIN#3209

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:20:35 -0700
From: Owen Emry <owen_at_dml_aerodrome.us>
Subject: Re: Newbie Owner - First Question

o0shoryuken0o wrote:

>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> I've been lurking here for quite some time as I've had an interest in
>> buying a DMC - finally bought one this month!
>>
>> There is so much that I have to learn but my first question is:
>>
>> What the heck is "Negative Earth"?  What about this vehicle's
>> electrical system gives it that classification?

Earth = Ground.  That just means that the ground (or "earth") on the car is defined to be negative, so the frame and everything else is tied to the negative battery terminal -- in other words, it's like virtually every other car in the world.  Expect someone to chime in with the exceptions, but you can safely ignore them.   :-)

>>  One thing that the
>> owner made me aware of is that over time, the battery will lose its
>> charge.  After about two weeks I am starting to notice that.  It still
>> starts, but gradually it is losing it.

Best bet is to find out what's actually drawing current.  You can experiment by pulling relays, and using a current meter.  On my car, the culprit was the door lighting that turns on when a door is up.  The switch that turns it off (when the door is closed) wasn't functioning, so the lights were staying on.

-Owen

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:53:58 -0700
From: Jeff Angiwn <jeff_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Thermister wiring polarity?

Hi Tom:

Your friend is correct. A thermistor doesn't care which way round it is
connected.
Good Luck in getting your D back on the road!

Jeff Angwin

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:03:20 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Mid Atlantic Track Event

Willie,

How have you been?

In addition to DeLorean's are Ferrari's allowed too?

Later,
Mike Pack

I  know its late notice, but anyone interested in taking their Delorean
out  on the track is welcome to sign up and come out.
My dealership will  be out at Summit Point West Virginia this weekend.
For more details visit  www.fwash.com

Hope to see some of you  there.
Willie

V5043

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:10:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: trailer hitch

Here's the link to the tow truck:

http://in2time.com/

Bernie Wrote:

"I can't drive both at the same time, and a D can't tow anything."

As some one already pointed out, there are Delorean's out there set up to tow trailers and I think there is even a tow truck Delorean. Although that could be a hoax.

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:42:34 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Strange acceleration problem

Here is something ponder over. When I start my car after sitting for
the night it starts up fine. When I give it gas to get out of my
driveway and up the street, I notice I lose acceleration. I then here
a slight backfire in about 3-4 quicks pops. After this the car runs
fine and I don't get it again until the next day after sitting
overnight. Any thoughts on the cause of this? Thanks!

-Dan

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:02:57 -0000
From: "delorean_3" <delorean3_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Drivers side door hinge...help!

Group,

I went over to start up my car yesterday and take it for a spin and
when I went to open the door I heard a loud popping sound.  At first I
freaked thinking it was the torsion bar breaking but was relieved to
find that it was only the door hinge (part no 110199, Hinge Door Front
LH)..the part where the torsion bar fits into had clean cut away from
the rest of the hinge assembly.  I called DMCH to no avail as this is
no longer in stock...my question to the group is: since I will have no
choice but to take it off to have it repaired, does anybody have any
links to/know of a good way to do this?  And once I do get the hinge
off, does anybody know of somebody dealing in these things (ie
exclusively Delorean..I want to make sure it's fixed right) who I can
send it to for repairs??  Thanks...

Jack
VIN2728

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:08:06 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

I wouldnt under estimate the pulling power of the D...

but the real problem would be the Ds lack of weight and brakes to
control and stop a trailer.

Trailer hitch is easy... thank you Rich W (although a Class 3 was a bit
of overkill)

To be perfectly clear, I would not tow a D on a car trailer with a D.
Maybe a jet ski on a trailer, or a motorcycle, but thats it.  Or of
course you could pull a trailer like Arnie does or like I do.  See pics
in photo section under Yellow DeLorean.

Ron
gullwingmagazine.com
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:23:21 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Water in gas?!?

Pumping out the tank, if that's what you have to do, really isn't all that
hard or time consuming. You can disconnect the supply line in the engine
compartment and put that into a gas container then  jumper the rpm relay to
get the fuel pump to run. The fuel pump probably pumps about 2 gallons per
minute. Of course you have a lot of gas to pump since you just filled up,
and you also have the issue of what to do with all that contaminated gas
after you pump it out.

Maybe you should give it back to the station that sold it to you!

Good luck! I wish I had some more ideas for you, but somebody else on the
list will probably come to your rescue on this one.

Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:07:35 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Towing the DMC

Does anyone have any experience towing a DeLorean?
Mine is an automatic, I would love to be able to simply tow it with a pull
bar,
you know where it rides on it's own wheels with an attacthed bar directly
behind
the tow vehicle. I see a lot of RV's pulling cars this way.
I figure I could just put it in nuetral right?

I need to pull it with my car, a Dodge Magnum, which claims to only pull
about 3800 pounds.
Since the DMC is 2800, that only leaves about 1000 pounds for a cau hauler
which is pushing it.
If I could pull just the car itself it would be a huge relief.

Any suggestions?

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:26:42 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Drivers side door hinge...help!

Grady shows he has one $100.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:35:18 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Towing the DMC

I wouldn't tow it unless I used a trailer or flatbed. The tow by the
rear wheels turns parts inside the trans and without trans pressure
you will damage it. Towing from the rear does not allow much
clearance in the front so the pieces in the front get damaged by the
road.

Harold McElraft - 3354 (auto)

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 20:54:53 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Strange acceleration problem

Warm up regulator most likely.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/warmupreg-066.jpg

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:03:15 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Owen, Welcome to the De Lorean world and the group. Earth ground just a
general term that the frame is ground, but you will find places where the
device is 2 wire because of where or what it is. Ground + hot. Be careful
applying general automotive color coding to our cars and you can't always
depend on the wiring diagram.
Things were always changing.
toll free 12/7
9am till 9pm. CST.
1-888-278-1629

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:37:02 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Engine vacuum problems?

sorry David but what do you mean by smear the silicone?

is this to grease the new o rings?

i am just about to do this job as i have a water leak and my engine
only runs for 30 secs or so-i intend on changing all down there.
and cleaning/restoring the the lot.
if the pump is ok is it worth leaving? like if it ain't broke-don't
fix it. Can't see the need to change a working pump even if original.
car has only 14000 miles and stored for 12 years.

i assume you copper grease all bolts? to make removal much easier

any advice would be helpfull like how do you clean the valley of
death and not get anything down the holes??.
did someone say you use acetone?.
i've seen por 15 coated after but is this upto the job with the
working engine temperature?.

Regards

Steve
UK doc 370

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>
wrote:

>> Yu have to kind of roll the intake into the valley making sure not

>> unseat the "O" rings. I then slide it around a little to smear the
>> silicone and line up the bolt holes. Insert the bolts, snug them up
>> and then torque them in a rotational pattern. I leave the ignition
>> wires and injectors out and out of my way, it is easy enough to
>> install them after installing the intake manifold. On a motor I
>> recently did I had a vacuum leak at one of the "O" rings. I

attribute

>> it to the fact that I did not slide the intake around that time. It
>> must not have competely sealed causing the vacuum leak. It drove me
>> nuts till I found it and I did not like having to remove

everything to

>> fix it! I don't think you are going to warp the intake. The

Workshop

>> Manual has the torque. To look for vacuum leaks I use a propane

bottle

>> with a short hose. Get the ones that are used for soldering pipes

and

>> take the nozzle off. Slip a short hose over the end. Now when you

put

>> the hose near the suspected leak open the valve for a moment. If

the

wrote:

> [...]

the

I'm

Is it

the

for

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:10:49 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

Somebody here knows more specifics than I, but in general I'd say no way.
If you think about the cars you see getting flat towed you will see either
small SUVs (read - manual transmission) or its almost always a Saturn.  This
was a big deal with Saturn when it came out.  It has a design feature in its
transmission which allowed it to be an automatic that could be flat towed.
It was such a selling feature that Saturn built its own tow bar assembly and
included it as a dealer installed option right in the main brouchure for the
car.

Now maybe you can also flat tow a CVT automatic like the Toyota, but in
general you can't flat tow an AT.

Tom

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:58:07 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Idle adjustment screw?

Group and David, If you don't want to buy another fuel distributor you had
better be careful with fuel cleaners. We are dealing with 25+ year old
technology and the FD's have O Rings that will swell and render the FD
useless.
If you feel you must put something in the gas, then use the cheapest
injector cleaner you can buy because it's all about the same ( Wal-Mart )
and put it in and drive it out. Don't let it sit in the gas over night. You
won't do much good, but it may help you feel better.
With the injectors out and when they are sent it to clean I put them in a
full concentration of Berrymans B12, heat up the chemical and what I call
boil them for 1+ hours, then test and retry.

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:32:00 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I can almost guarantee that would ruin the transmission. I wouldn't
flat tow it without removing the axles (takes maybe 20 minutes with
hand tools, 5 with power tools). Even then I'm not sure how you'd
securely attach a tow bar to it. Maybe you could use a tow dolly (a
small trailer that the front or rear wheels sit in, that has its own
wheels). If you tow the car backwards be sure to tie the louvers
down.

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:13:35 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

That is usually caused by the vacuum delay valve at the fuel pressure
regulator coming loose or possibly a problem with the fuel pressure
regulator or vacuum hoses attached thereto. The fuel is too lean and
causes the pop-back in the intake. The hesitation goes away when the
engine warms up but it needs a fuel spike when cold - that's what the
delay valve does. Be sure the dist. side of the delay valve is facing
the firewall. The delay is suppose to be 10 seconds. The color side is
usually the dist side and the color indicates the delay. I think the
proper delay color is white or gray - you can test it easily enough.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:31:35 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

You CANNOT tow an automatic. Without the motor running and turning the
fluid pump there is no internal lubrication and you will quickly
destroy the internals. I do not think you will be able to tow with all
4 wheels on the ground. A tow dolly can work on an automatic but as
Dave S says you will have to disconnect the half-shafts. You can get
away with only removing the ends by the wheels and tying up the
half-shafts so they don't hang. If you are going to tow the "D" a lot
maybe you should get a 5-speed. They can be towed without
disconnecting the half-shafts. For safety's sake the "best" way is
with a trailer so it is less likely to be damaged either by the road
or other vehicles. To attach a tow bar would take some extensive
modifacation to the front of the Delorean. It has to be attached to
the frame and it is not the strongest place on the car with the
crumple tube structure. Especially if there is ANY rust. BTW I have a
tow dolly and I used it to tow my 5-speed. It can be done but a
trailer is really the way to go. I guess you could actually tow an
automatic with the half-shafts attached as long as you had the motor
running at idle but I have not tried it. Another problem with the tow
bar or the tow dolly, you cannot back up, you can with a trailer.

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:18:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I meant silicone gasket sealer for the "O" rings. I also recomend
anti-seize compound on the steel bolts going into the aluminum. I
suggest you replace the water pump becuse it is 20 + years old and it
is a lot of trouble to replace it but if you have the intake off it is
not a big deal. Use a shop vac to get the stuff out of the recesses
and poke gently with a stick to loosen the crud as you vacuum. Acetone
is a bit dangerous. Brake cleaner is a little better. Work in a well
ventilated area and use a respirator. You don't have to paint but if
you clean it good POR 15 is good. I would also replace the idler
pulley bearings, all hoses and seals, hose clamps, vacuum hoses, and
belts. Most of the venders have what they call their Master Water Pump
Kit which includes just about everything you will need.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:58:37 -0000
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>
Subject: Election Reminder-DeLorean Owners Association

To the DeLorean Owners Association Members,

Elections are coming next month.  If you would like to be a candidate for the board of the
DeLorean Owners Association or would just like to be a part of our staff please contact the
director of dw magazine at our magazine website.  Thanks to the many members for their
support and hope to talk to you all soon.

All the best,

Tony Hilger
DeLorean Owners Association
dw magazine director
http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:34:14 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Chris,

I second that, I bought my car for 5k and everything interior had
been restored, just needed to get the 90 eagle premier engine
working (PO's mechanic blew the original engine).

Had to update some of the suspension a bit as it had been sitting
for some time, but had I not taken on doing an entire frame off
restoration I'd already be rolling.  I guess I'm in at 10k and
should hopefully have this sucker rolling and looking sweet.

As for my original engine, I think the PO got taken or something.
Main reason I think so is because when inquiring about the intake,
AC compressor, or anything related to the original engine, all I
ever got was it was all trashed.  So apparently the mechanic blew
the engine and just trashed the whole thing.  They did supply me
with the Eagle Premier engine which had everything and only 25k
miles...which was nice, but still those little things could have
helped.

Especially like keeping the lower crank casing to use on the Eagle
Premier...duh....lot easier than welding up engine mounts.

Anyways....5k for a flood poop filled salt watered D is probably a
bit much, but whoever took it I hope can get it running again.

Brandon
Vin 3323

SNIP

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 01:13:51 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Chuck McKnight wrote:

>>Here's the link to the tow truck:
>>
>>http://in2time.com/
>>

>>Bernie Wrote:
>>
>>"I can't drive both at the same time, and a D can't tow anything."
>>
>>As some one already pointed out, there are Delorean's out there set up to tow trailers and I think there is even a tow truck Delorean. Although that could be a hoax.

I'm certainly interested in knowing what engine and suspension
modifications were done to the towtruck D. I can't imagine the stock 2.8
PRV doing very well, especially since the site says it towed a
motorhome.  I know how rough of a time the 4.3 in the van I used to haul
my D from iowa back on the car hauler had on the hills, and I know it
has much more torque than the PRV could ever hope to muster..

VIN# 03209

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 03:11:53 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Videobob,
(or if you attempt and try to do it Videoboob... ; )

Don't do it! Unless you want to rebuild your auto tranny! There are a
few choices,(1) remove both drive axles (2)use a special pump that
you hookup to you auto to keep the tranny fluid in circulation(that
is what the RV'ers use)(3) rent a aluminum car trailer,and put it
onto that.(4) there are Special hubs that can be put on the car that
ONLY make the tires spin,and NOT the drivetrain. BUT I do not think
it is made for Deloreans.What happens when you tow a automatic
equipped car(in this case the Delorean)is that you are spinning the
internals of the automatic tranny,but NOTHING is getting
lubricated,you can do it if you are only moving it a few hundred feet
(ie:pushing by hand)but at high speed,it is no different than running
a motor with no oil pressure.The pump for the auto tranny is located
at the front of the tranny and is only working with the motor
running,which is hooked up to the flywheel,thru the torque
converter,if the motor is not running,you get NO hydraulic pressure
buildup,which in turn lubricates and runs your auto tranny under
Hydraulic pressure,no pressure,equals no lubrication,which means you
will quickly burnout you automatic tranny...PERIOD.In the 1950's and
early 60's they had cars with dual pumps in the automatics(one in
front and one in back)those cars you COULD actually push start them!
Or even shut the motor off in netural and coast along and start them
up like a standard tranny(popping the clutch thing)(I had a 62
Mercury Comet that I used to do that all the time with)BUT in the mid
60's all car makers switched to the one pump system(front pump only)
on the automatic trannies(for cost savings purposes).So again NEVER
tow a Automatic tranny car on the wheels that are hooked up to the
automatic tranny.

cbl