Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2940
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:20 Oct 2005 22:52:51 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Towing the DMC
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Mid Atlantic Track Event
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>

4. Re: Towing the DMC
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

5. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

6. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

7. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. RE: Re: Idle adjustment screw?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Re: Flooded Delorean on Ebay
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Where is "RUN-DMC"
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

15. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. Re: Where is "RUN-DMC"
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Steering Wheel Lock
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: Where is "RUN-DMC"
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

19. Re: Where is "RUN-DMC"
From: Erik Geerdink <dmcerik_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Towing the DMC
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

22. Re: Flooded Delorean on Ebay
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

23. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: Where is "RUN-DMC"
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. RE: Re: Towing the DMC
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:31:13 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Towing the DMC

I have heard that about Saturn's, and also some Jeeps too.
I need to come up with a low, light weight tow system.
Maybe even a small dolly system that keeps all four wheels off the groung
but acts like a flat tow....might have to MAKE IT.
- VB

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 06:21:14 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What about a manual D?

- Geoff

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:44:45 -0000
From: "vtdmc" <wmack_at_dml_vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Mid Atlantic Track Event

Mike,

As of yesterdays count I think we are up to 100 cars coming out.
Maybe 35 or 40 will be Italian, either Ferrari's Maserati's or
Lamborghini's.
The rest are the normal BMW, Porsche, Corvettes.  Should be a great
event, I hope the weather corporates.

Hope to see you there.
Willie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Packodenton_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Willie,
>>
>> How have you been?
>>
>> In addition to DeLorean's are Ferrari's allowed too?
>>
>> Later,
>> Mike Pack
>>

>> I  know its late notice, but anyone interested in taking their

Delorean

>> out  on the track is welcome to sign up and come out.
>> My dealership will  be out at Summit Point West Virginia this

weekend.

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 07:21:34 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

Jeeps are another popular one with RV'ers.
It won't overheat while it being turned is what I was told by my buddy who
is now retired and touring. I don't remember if it can disengage or what the
deal was, just normal vehicles the tranny will turn and the fluid will heat
up and burn inside.
Just pickup an '85 Toyota 4x4 to tow your time machine and put it on a
trailer. They are a beautiful little truck, goes with the theme, and you can
find some in great shape.
-Kevin

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:47:14 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

I towed my automatic DeLorean from North Carolina up to Virginia with a tow
dolly, backwards. The front suspension was stock so I had plenty of
clearance. Make sure you tie down the louvers. I did have to remove one rear
tire and put the spare tire on because the DeLorean rear is too wide to fit
in between the wheels of a U-Haul tow dolly. I had no trouble the whole trip
home, except for the regular attention the DeLorean gets going down the
road. Oh, and I was using a 93 Chevy 1500 to tow it, so your Dodge should
have no problem.

Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:48:27 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

>> Does anyone have any experience towing a DeLorean?
>> Mine is an automatic, I would love to be able to simply tow it with

a pull

>> bar,
>> you know where it rides on it's own wheels with an attacthed bar

directly

>> behind
>> the tow vehicle. I see a lot of RV's pulling cars this way.
>> I figure I could just put it in nuetral right?
>>
>> I need to pull it with my car, a Dodge Magnum, which claims to only

pull

>> about 3800 pounds.
>> Since the DMC is 2800, that only leaves about 1000 pounds for a cau

hauler

>> which is pushing it.
>> If I could pull just the car itself it would be a huge relief.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> - Videobob

Just put your D on a car hauler and haul it with your magnum. It
should be fine especially if you've opted for one of the 'good' ones
with a hemi.  Rated tow capactites are generally just 'guidelines'
set by the manufacturer. Just like max gross vehicle weight.
Generally vehicles are capable of alot more than they're rated for.
The stated numbers are generally just a CYA from the auto
manufacturers so if you exceed them and have an accident or
something, you can't sue them.

The most important aspects of towing loads safely are 1) hitch

1) You allways want the proper weight distrobution on the trailer,
with the proper load on the hitch that it's rated for. (Think it's
300-400lbs or so on most good heavy duty hitches) Basicly you want
enough weight it can't possibly bounce off, but not so much your
taxing the rear suspension on the tow vehicle.

2) Stopping power is really the most important thing and is the main
thing that sets tow limits. Just used a good 4wheel car hauler with
trailer brakes, and get a brake controller and hook to your
brakelights on your magnum to control them and you won't have a bit
of problem with this.

3) Well torque isn't really needed for safety, but if you have to
deal with any hills, the more the merrier. If you have a hemi you
won't have any issues with this. Even if you have the V6 then you'll
still probably be ok, just don't plan on doing much fast
accelerating.  :)

Also.. drive like your pulling a trailer.. not like your late for an
appointment somewhere.. You allways have to remember your dealing
with twice the length (or more) and twice the mass.. There is no
stopping in a hurry or squeezing between cars in the other lane and
the like...

Chris
VIN#3209

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:58:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Here in New Jersey the police are getting tough with the tow trucks
that flat-bed 1 car and tow the second "on the ground" with the rear
wheels. They require tow lights for the vehicle on the ground. There
is a kit of recovery lights that is ssold that consists of 2 lights
that you place on the rear of the towed vehicle. They have magnets to
hold them on. On a Delorean I use 2 bungee cords to hold them on the
rear sunshade. It then plugs into the lights on the tow vehicle to
provide tail, turn, and stop lights. Any vehicle "on the ground" needs
to be plated, insured, and registered. I have towed my 5-speed with my
tow dolly, it is not too bad but you cannot back up with it and you
have to be careful of sharp dips, driveways, and sharp turns.

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:52:20 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall

Has anyone used this?
ViewItem&item=8008393956&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1

I was looking around for a fix for the Idle Stall (as it always seems
to happen to me), and have found what seems to be a competitor to
FanZilla, but it bypasses the fuse relay.

Has anyone used such an Item, or should I spring for the FanZilla?

~Sean

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:20:17 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Idle adjustment screw?

I agree with the cautionary note about using cleaners in general, but I
guess I disagree with the recommendation to buy the cheapest cleaner you can
find and that they are all about the same. There are two general categories
of cleaners: solvents, and synthetic detergents which are what the refiners
add to gasoline they sell through gas stations.

Solvents such as STP, Gumout, and the like are most likely to cause problems
with old rubber parts.

A couple of products in the synthetic detergent group are Chevron Techron
and Red Line SI-1. These are unlikely to cause issues as they are not
solvent based products. I highly recommend them over solvent type cleaners.

I do agree that it is wise to drive the cleaner out as quickly as possible
regardless of the type you use, which is why I recommend adding it just
before a long trip.

I also agree with Dave Teitlebaum that cleaners added to the tank are better
at maintaining cleanliness than at cleaning up things that are already
dirty. There are definite limits to what you should expect from anything you
pour from a bottle into your tank.

-Joe Kuchan

>>From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
>>To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com>
>>Subject: RE: [DML] Re: Idle adjustment screw?
>>Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:58:07 -0500
>>
>>Group and David, If you don't want to buy another fuel distributor you had
>>better be careful with fuel cleaners. We are dealing with 25+ year old
>>technology and the FD's have O Rings that will swell and render the FD
>>useless.
>>If you feel you must put something in the gas, then use the cheapest
>>injector cleaner you can buy because it's all about the same ( Wal-Mart )
>>and put it in and drive it out. Don't let it sit in the gas over night. You
>>won't do much good, but it may help you feel better.
>>With the injectors out and when they are sent it to clean I put them in a
>>full concentration of Berrymans B12, heat up the chemical and what I call
>>boil them for 1+ hours, then test and retry.
>>John Hervey
>>www.specialtauto.com

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:19:49 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Flooded Delorean on Ebay

On 10/19/05, brandelorean <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Anyways....5k for a flood poop filled salt watered D is probably a
>> bit much, but whoever took it I hope can get it running again.

$5k seemed a fair price for the car to me. You have to put it all into
perspective. If Chris bought a DeLorean for $8k that only needed a
couple thousand dollars worth of work, he got one heck of a deal. That
should have been a $12k car (note that I'm assuming a lot, not having
looked at the car myself). As for your car, it sounds like most of the
mechanicals were trashed, so $5k was probably appropriate. Although,
if the body, frame & interior were all excellent, $5k sounds low and
you probably got a great deal.

Also, look at it from a restoration standpoint. Both of you are doing
major, major work to your cars. Frame off restorations. The flooded
car needs the same thing done to it, and it's priced similarly. Seems
appropriate to me.

Anyway, I also hope the car can be saved, instead of parted out. Not
that I mind more parts on the market, but I'd rather an entire car be
driving around somewhere.

--
- Ryan
http://www.memfrag.com - Make your favorites globally accessible

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:40:11 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Please be aware that if you do not lift the front wheels, your angle
drive (which is what the speedo is connected to as well as the
odometer) and tow the car in a forward direction it will put miles
on your car. If you note in the message below, he towed it backwards
(if you have seen Ferris Bueller's day off) running a car backwards
does not remove miles, nor does it seem to add them - although I
have been known to be wrong.

U-Haul offers at least 2 types of trailers. One where you can put
the entire vehicle on it (I rented one a couple of weeks ago while
my D was unlicensed) and it ran me about $65/day incl tax and that
protection thingy.

They do offer another which only lifts your front wheels. Which
could save the false milage on the car.

No I dont work for u-haul, but everytime I have towed a vehicle (my
D and my 57 T-Bird) i have had it completely off the ground.

Pulled mine with a 2001 Grand Cherokee no problem

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:43:24 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

In a follow up to my last message, you could always disconnect the
speedo cable from the angle drive.

Sean

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:34:31 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Where is "RUN-DMC"

The "RUN-DMC" was  a Gale Banks 3.8 Turbo car with reports of over 450 HP.
Any info on this car? Anyone here evey see this car? Anyone every ask Banks
if they documented their custom work?

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:52:20 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

No problem,

Just make sure it is in netural,AT ALL TIMES,(and remember to release
the E.Brake)as I heard of a case with a RV'er that accidently put
their vehicle(not a D)in first gear and towed it behind their RV,by
the time they found out(remember 1st gear at 70 mph is something like
9000 RPM!!And that is with the motor not running!)Needless to say the
motor had a huge (hole)s on the side of the block and for some reason
also BURST the whole top off of the the radiator.With todays
trucks,running 300 plus HP,towing a Delorean in any gear,you would
hardly put a strain on the tow truck,but Destroy the engine in
the "D" if i was accidently left in gear.

Cbl

 --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_y...>

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:37:31 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Dave,

Was your speedometer still working after the trip,since you were
running it backwards at high speed,just wondering.

cbl

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Where is "RUN-DMC"

I called them a few years back, and there was only one
guy left at the place who even remembered the
DeLorean.  They had moved on to other ventures, and
had no information on the DeLorean project..  They
were unwilling to dig up any information either.

If you want information on doing a Grand National
engine in a DeLorean, give Don at DeLorean Motor
Center a call..  He has done some..

--- Charles Major <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:

>> The "RUN-DMC" was  a Gale Banks 3.8 Turbo car with
>> reports of over 450 HP.
>> Any info on this car? Anyone here evey see this car?
>> Anyone every ask Banks
>> if they documented their custom work?

__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:19:27 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Steering Wheel Lock

I'm at work and had to run to the bank.  Went outside and got into my
DeLorean, put the key into the ignition and tried to turn it.  okay,
this has happened before.  Usually I'll turn the wheel a tad bit and
then the key and the wheel will unlock.  Not this time.  I tried
turning it every direction.  No luck.  I'm stuck at work cause my
steering wheel won't unlock allowing me to start the car.

What do I do?

Matt
VIN: 2953
I love work so much so I got stuck here!

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:27:06 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

If it is not the one currently at Don Steger's shop in GG, CA
then it is certainly very similar to the Run DMC DeLorean.

Don calls the one at his shop "The Fastest DeLorean in the World"
which was also the description in the original Run DMC article.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_h...>

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:59:32 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

When I picked up my DeLorean in Marengo, IL last April, I had a 2002
Ford F-150 and the U-Haul trailer that holds the whole car off the
ground.  One-way trip from there to Western Maryland was about $400.00
if my memory serves me right.

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:29:08 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Sean.. When I went over my D this past spring I could not get a FanZilla,
and that may still be the case, so I went through John of SpecialTAuto and
bought his product.  I'm happier than a pig in s--t.  His product is  terriffic.
I've never heard of the thing on e-bay.
Roy
0893

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:01:48 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Flooded Delorean on Ebay

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_g...>
wrote:

>> $5k seemed a fair price for the car to me. You have to put it all into
>> perspective. If Chris bought a DeLorean for $8k that only needed a
>> couple thousand dollars worth of work, he got one heck of a deal. That
>> should have been a $12k car (note that I'm assuming a lot, not having
>> looked at the car myself).
>> --
>> - Ryan
>> http://www.memfrag.com - Make your favorites globally accessible

Well IMHO I got about what I paid for. Notice I said for a few thousand
more the car could have been made drivable and reliable, not made to
be exceptional..

When I got the car, the accumulator was bad, the shifter crossgate
cable was rusted through, it ran but needed a serious tuneup, the brake
system still had 25 year old brake fluid in it and most of the caliper
pistons were siezed, the carpet was in sad sad shape, neither window
worked and one was stuck open, the dash had one speaker area
knocked out, the AC needed recharging, the undercarriage looked just
plain nasty with a good 1/4" of road tar built up in places, very few of
the lights on the car worked. The fuse block had been melted, the
headliner was gone, the clutch master cylinder leaked, the rear fascia
had a tear in it and both needed to be painted, the left rear quarter
panel has stainless damage, pretty much all the struts were bad, the
engine cover was missing one of the grates and the other three were
pretty bent up, plus it was all cracked.... I could probably go on but this
is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Frankly I don't see how a car with a list of problems that long would be
worth $12k.. Most of the mechanical stuff on the list could have been
repaired relatively cheaply and the car would have been drivable, but it'd
still be in relatively poor cosmetic condition.

I figure for as long as i've wanted a D, I can stand to wait another 6
months to a year to build it into a car I can be proud of, instead of just
patching things to get it on the road and never really being happy with it.

Please see my site under progress/week1 to see pics of the car shortly
after I got it.

Chris
VIN# 3209

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:16:01 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

It's just a pair of relays in a box. I've done the same on mine. Rather
than have one relay do the work, I have two, and I spent a couple of $
extra on fused relays. I made my own flying leads and it's been fine
ever since. Taking a feed directly off the battery? Where do you think
the main feed on the fan relay comes from anyway?

If your car stalls at idle due to the fans cutting in, there's something
wrong elsewhere.

Martin

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:23:59 -0000
From: "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The Gale Banks turbo'd 3.8 Buick V-6 has sat for years at the DeLorean
Motor Center in Garden Grove CA.

Dick Ryan
VIN 16867

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 16:29:29 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Towing the DMC

Thanks for the advice Dave, I have towed the car backwards on a car dolly
before.
No more louvers though....I have nuclear exhaust vents now ;P
- VB