Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2942
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:21 Oct 2005 18:23:01 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>

2. A/C compressor tied to fans?
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Seat Covers
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

5. RE: Re: Idle adjustment screw?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

6. RE: Seat Covers
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. RE: Seat Covers
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Seat Covers
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

9. FRONT END creeking noise
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. RE: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

11. RE: Re: Towing the DMC
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

12. Re: Seat Covers
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. RE: Seat Covers
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

14. Humming sound
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: FRONT END creeking noise
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

16. Renting trucks to tow (Was Towing the DMC)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Humming sound
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

18. RE: Humming sound
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

19. Re: Seat Covers
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

20. Re: FRONT END creeking noise
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Humming sound
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. Doors
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Humming sound
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Humming sound
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:22:57 -0500
From: "Duke" <at88mph_at_dml_worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall

Sean,

I installed the unit in my car about 3 weeks ago and it has been working
fine.  It also gives you the 'fan fail light' option too as well as
staggering the fans.

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:30:49 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: A/C compressor tied to fans?

My PO installed a new A/C compressor and it seems some monkey
business may have happened in the process.  I didn't notice it until
recently because I ran the A/C all summer.

Whenever I turned on my A/C, my fans would come on and stay on as
long as the control was set to any of the A/C settings.  I
understand this is good. However, the inverse seems not so good.

Example:
Vent controls set to "vent," engine idling, compressor not running
and front fans not running. Engine warms up to around the 1/4 mark,
front fans come on and compressor simultaneously engages. Cool air
comes out of my vents.  I can overcome it by turning the temp
control to HOT, but the compressor is still doing its thing. I
have "automatic A/C!"

I'm guessing this is abnormal behavior? Trickery, if there was
trickery, may lie in the relays?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Marv

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:23:44 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

I take it you mean with the AC on?  :-)

This is where I get shot down in flames, but when I get a car with such
a problem, I start playing with the "brass screws". Here's a little
guide to setting these up that should cure your problem. It can't do any
harm and if you're not happy, just re-seat them all back down gently.

1) Let your engine idle up to temperature

2) With everything OFF (radio, ac, blower, lights, everything) , back
the rear two brass screws out by 2 turns each.

3) Back out the front one (that has a flat screw head) slowly and keep
going until you hear the engine speed start to increase. At that point,
screw it back in half a turn, such that the idlespeed is how it was before.

What we're doing here is getting the engine to a point where it needs a
minimum amount of air to idle. As you let more air in via the brass
screws, the idlespeed system will fight you and close off the valve.
When you get to the point where the engine revs start to rise, the
idlespeed valve is closed. We're putting the minimum air requirements
through the brass screws and giving the idlespeed system more "headroom"
for circumstances when it needs the most amount of air - electrical

This is how Renault set up their systems and as far as I can work out,
it all comes down to production variation in the valve. I've seen cars
where I couldn't back out the screw at all without increasing the
idlespeed. Likewise, I've been able to cure problems like yours with 30
seconds and an 11mm spanner.

Hope this helps

Martin

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:09:35 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Seat Covers

drrrh_1 wrote:

>>Hi,
>>I just bought my first D. I have been dreaming of owning one of these
>>gems for years. When I went to pick it up I noticed that the clutch
>>was very soft and almost all the way to the floor. Well I was quite
>>bummed out since I now need to get the brake seals checked before I
>>can bring this baby home. Hopefully this is the only issue, since the
>>D does not use a cable, correct?
>>
>>While I am waiting I have been thinking about the cracked drivers
>>seat. Are the seat covers available from multiple areas any good? Do
>>you remove the old cover first and then replace with the new? Is there
>>a special way to do it? Should I remove the seat to re-cover it?
>>Should I just buy a new seat? I see these new black and grey
>>covers/seats, has anyone tried them, are they nice?
>>
>>Once I get my baby I am sure that I will be back many times. Thank you
>>in advance for all of your advice.
>>
>>Rick 3290

Cool. A car close to mine in vin.  Welcome to the club.

The seatcovers from DMCH replace the existing ones. You'll have to take
the seats out, and remove the old covers. The tools you'll need to do
the actual cover swaps are a pair of side cutters (snips, whatever you
call them) to cut off the existing hogrings so you can get the old
covers off, and you'll need a pair of hogring pliars and new hogrings to
install the new covers. It's not really difficult to do. Worst part is
the dent in the pocketbook from the new seatcovers.

VIN# 03209

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:56:47 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Idle adjustment screw?

Joe and Group,
The reason I say cheaper is because the
( Injector cleaner only ) in most all brands is the same except the
packaging and the advertisements / marketing. Diesel fuel in a pretty
package splattered all over the TV is still diesel fuel, so why pay for the
packaging and advertisements.
Then if you want fuel cleaner/ injector cleaners, that's a different mixture
and more caution should be taken and it will cost a little more. Again,
different blend and you can pay all the way up to $6.00 for the nationally
advertised brand.
Advertisement has to be paid and NASCAR sponsors have to be paid.
Not a pitch for Wall-mart other than I don't see it on the side of a NASCAR
yet.

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:01:56 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Rick, Congratulations on the new purchase. Just a note on the clutch
hydraulic system. Our seals in the master and slave are guaranteed for as
long as you own the car. Be sure to replace the old black plastic clutch
line with the new SS line if it hasn't already been done.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/delorean-clutch-kit.jpg

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:26:15 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

>>While I am waiting I have been thinking about the cracked drivers
>>seat. Are the seat covers available from multiple areas any good?

Can't say, but my son and I put some NOS stock covers in his car and they
are great. I don't know if you can still find NOS covers, though.

>>Do you remove the old cover first and then replace with the new?

Yes.

>>Is there
>>a special way to do it?

Yes, There was an article on how to do this in a recent issue of "Gullwing"
magazine. You can order back copies of this magazine for a reasonable fee.
It would be a good investment for you to buy at least the issue with the
article on doing this job. You may also want to get a year's subscription.

>>Should I remove the seat to re-cover it?

Yes.

>>Should I just buy a new seat? I see these new black and grey
>>covers/seats, has anyone tried them, are they nice?

No experience with these.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:58:19 EDT
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Rick.. I just received my new two tone seat covers and pulled the seats  from
my D today.  Instructions for recovering D seats are in the  files.  They
really look good and can't wait to get to doing the  recovering.  They are all
leather and smell great.

Roy
0893

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:54:18 -0000
From: "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: FRONT END creeking noise

Today after resolving a few problems I was faced with another. I
noticed that when I would come to a stop at a stop sign or light I
would hear a Creek coming from the front end. My first thought was a
problem with the brakes. When I returned home I pushed down on the
hood at the front of the car. It made the same creek which sounded
like a really rusty door.  So prob safe to say its not the brakes.  It
also seems to be more prominent or coming entirely from the passenger
side. It is also heard not as loud when I turn the wheel. My car  is a
low mile car having less than 4000 miles. I also believe I have the
original shocks and springs. It also had a 30,000mile major service 3
months ago by DMCH. Any idea as to what is going on here?? I'd
appreciate any help you could offer. Many thanks

-Dan

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 19:40:27 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

What could do more damage? After over 200 proven units the 12 gauge wire
started to heat up and would do less damage vs a hot wire that is coming
thru the wiring loom and will and can melt wires next to it and cause the a
short plus all the mess of melted wires associated with it.
Pulling power from the battery in the shortest way is always better than
coming thru the wiring loom with 60 amps of current. If you don't like the
wires placed in the box then you can drill a small hole in the bottom of the
relay box and put in a feed thru connector direct to the battery. That would
be bullet proof. We have the feed thru connections if any one would want to
add this feature.
John Hervey
Home of The Proven Fan Fix
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/Fanfixdual2x2.jpg

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:49:58 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: RE: Re: Towing the DMC

If you aren't going to tow your car much, why not rent a trailer and a truck.

-------------- Original message from "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>: --------------

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 01:07:06 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Personally, I like the two tone covers from DMCH. When I need to
replace my covers I plan on getting some of those or some cheaper
ones. They are a little too much money for my blood but they are very
nice. The nice where you want to poke it just to see what it feels
like:)

Josh

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:50:33 -0500
From: "Kermit Poling" <KPoling_at_dml_Bellsouth.net>

My solution was to buy the covers from DMCH and had them put them on a used
set of seats.  They swapped them out while I was down there.  They look
great, DMCH did all the work, and it was considerably less than buying new
seats.
Kermit P

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:01:59 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Humming sound

When I get my D up around 35 MPH, I hear a low humming sound coming from the
front end.  The sound does not get noticably audible until I hit 45 MPH.  It's not loud
or anything.  It's just noticable.  Could it be the fan?  I can find no problems upon
inspection of the area.  Any clues?

Corey

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:08:25 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: FRONT END creeking noise

If you push on the front end and it makes the noise, then I'd say its
a bad shock or worn/old control arm bushings. It's also a good idea to
get under there once in a while and check out the front end frame,
control arms/fixing bolts and nuts to see if anything loosened up.
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Renting trucks to tow (Was Towing the DMC)

Since the point has been raised, has anyone ever
rented a truck w/ a trailer (besides a box
truck/moving van)?  The pickup trucks that most places
rent don't have hitches.  (Looking for a way to
transport to Chicago next year and would rather not
use my old pickup.)

Thanks, Steve

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:29:22 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Humming sound

Wheel bearings -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:35:41 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Maybe what your hearing is the fuel pump.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:37:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Before you go for the expensive replacement seats you might want to
try going over to Leatherique.com. They make products that can salvage
the leather if it is not torn. Another inexpensive alternative would
be seatcovers. As for the clutch you need to replace the master and
slave cylinders and if the car doesn't have the braided steel line
replace the plastic line too. Flush the brake fluid in the brakes too.
In fact you should replace ALL the fluids and filters in the car.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:42:19 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Lubricate the front end. Make sure the grease fittings work and you
are getting grease into the ball joints. Use a needle to lubricate the
tie rod ends. If you have to, dissassemble the sway bar bushings and
lubricate with silicone grease. Spray silicone lubricant on the spring
perches, upper and lower, both sides. Check that the lug nuts are all
tight. Make sure nothing is loose or worn. Look at the tires for wear
to check the alignment. Don't forget the angle drive.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 03:47:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If it is speed sensitive my first thought would be tires. Check the
air pressures. If that is not it the noise may just be a
charactoristic of the tires or they may be bad. It can also be wheel
bearings. Noises are notorious for coming from weird places. It is
possible it is NOT coming from the front. Check the rear tires and the
C/V joints too. Try different roads. Make sure the fans are both
blowing in the correct direction ie, front to back.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:01:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Doors

Question....since the weather has gotten cooler I have
noticed my doors do not stay open all the way....they
hangin' a lil' limp....is this common for DeLoreans in
cold weather or does it sound like I might be needing
new door struts? Warm weather they were fine?

Thanks.

Joey

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:53:17 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

 Cory,

This Sounds like a front wheel bearing is going bad. Take the car out for a drive,
preferably on a winding road. As you make left and right turns at speed you will probably
here changes in the noise levels.  You can also do this on straight sections by weaving left
and right slightly and listening for the changes. Don't fret though, I've never heard of
these types of bearings failing catistrophicaly. But if it is  a bad bearing it should be
replaced as soon as practical. The good thing is the front bearings are relatively Cheap.  if
you change it yourself you will nead access to a hydraulic press otherwise take the spindle
hubs to a local auto parts store that does full service shop work. they can press them off
and on for a nominal fee.

Dennis

Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:50:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

The SpecialTAuto Fan Fix has been working great for
me. No problems, fans working like they should be.

Joey

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:45:15 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

>> Wheel bearings -----Dani B. #5003

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...  Now if someone can fill me in on
what I have to do to fix the problem, that would be just great.

Corey