Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2943
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:21 Oct 2005 22:13:41 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: Humming sound
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: FRONT END creeking noise
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. RE: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

4. Re: A/C compressor tied to fans?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

5. Re: Renting trucks to tow (Was Towing the DMC)
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: Humming sound
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>

7. Re: Renting trucks to tow (Was Towing the DMC)
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Re: Seat Covers
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Cooling Fan Fan
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

10. RE: Re: Towing the DMC
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Humming sound
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: A/C compressor tied to fans?
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: FRONT END creeking noise
From: "Dave" <vdavidj_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Humming sound
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

15. Re: Renting trucks to tow (Was Towing the DMC)
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Towing the DMC (light weight trailer options)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

17. RE: Re: Seat Covers
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

18. Re: A/C compressor tied to fans?
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. Back into the fray -
From: "dkazmark" <dkazmark_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

21. Re: Doors
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Doors
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Seat Covers (NOS gray covers)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

24. Re: Humming sound
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 04:43:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Humming sound

...or worn tires.

Steve

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 05:17:07 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: FRONT END creeking noise

I'm no mechanic, so others here will certainly comment with greater
authority.  All I can tell you is what worked when my car did this.

It came on all of a sudden. Silent to creaking.  Someone also told me
it was a bad shock.

Just in case, I took some spray lithium grease and lubed everything I
could find in the front end.  It went away almost immediately and has
yet to return.

I also squirted some grease into the steering rack boots.  That helped
immediately with stiff steering.  I'm not sure that's really the right
thing to use in this area but my steering has been great for months
since.

If you have grease fittings on your ball joints (it turned out I did
but they were hard to find), you'll probably want to grease them up too.

Marv
#10820

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:05:28 -0400
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>
Subject: RE: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall

John,

Although I was not talking about your unit,  it is configured similarly.
Actually it is easier to mount a fusible link right after the battery, then
drilling holes in the vehicle.  Also by staggering the activation of each
fan you reducing the current flow in the wire loom,  so it will never come
close to reaching 60 amps.

-Shain

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 07:50:59 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
Subject: Re: A/C compressor tied to fans?

Sounds as if the diode tree that's supposed to prevent this sort of
thing has been bypassed, or perhaps one of the diodes has shorted.  I've
not ever seen that.  Those diodes are in the relay compartment and are
associated with the orange/black wires.  The circuit is shown in the
heating and A/C section of the workshop manual.
Warren at DMC

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:39:19 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Renting trucks to tow (Was Towing the DMC)

Can't they put one of their hitchs on a truck for you? I've heard
that Uhaul will put a hitch on the truck for you for an extra
charge. I've never done it so I do not know for sure.

Josh
10989

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:37:20 -0400
From: "Dom Diaz" <dom_diaz_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Humming sound

Sounds like the fuel pump. Maybe you just don't notice it at lower speeds?
Have you ever replaced it?

[extremely long, encoded quote deleted by moderator]

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:31:39 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

I've never found any. Nobody wants to rent a pickup/SUV for towing,
they figure you'll just screw it up although for some reason they
seem to figure a big-box truck is OK.

That's what finally led me to upgrade from a minivan to a Suburban as
my "extra" vehicle (as well as a lucky set of circumstances involving
buying another DeLorean). I don't own a trailer, but with the
Suburban I can rent just about anything.

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:22:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Seat Covers

I bought the black covers from Grady's about a month
ago. It took me less than 10 minutes to pull the seats
out. I chose to take them to a local upholstery shop
and have them professionally installed. I knew I could
have done it myself but for $75 they did it for me.
Looks great and with the new carpets my car appears
new inside again. Brian--- drrrh_1 <rick.heile_at_dml_hp.com>

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:39:45 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Cooling Fan Fan

>> I have read about several methods of doing this.  I do not want to

put

>> a piece of tape on the outside.

 :)  Put the tape on the inside you can cut a smaller square out and put
it back to back  ( like a plaster ) and stick it on... cant see it then

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:56:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Towing the DMC

Just buy a big GMC box truck and put Dr. E.L.Brown on the side....

>> Videobob Moseley <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com> wrote:I guess I will just
>> have to find a small and light enough trailer for the
>> Delorean that my car can handle. I don't want to have to buy a big
>> truck just for the rare times I tow the car.
>> Thanks,
>> - VB

[incredibly long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:04:02 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

If it changes in pitch, it could be the fuel pump. Do you have the A/C on
when you hear it? If so, it's possible that it's a fan or the pressure
relief valve if it's low on freon. Otherwise, I agree with Dani that it
could be one or more of the bearings.
 Johnny
5518

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:18:57 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I've heard of this before. Some will actually wire the A/C compressor
to run so that any condensation in the air is removed, particularly
when defroster is needed.

john

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:53:23 -0000
From: "Dave" <vdavidj_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hi Dan...

It's hard to say what exactly the problem is without looking at the
car itself, but I would start cheap and work your way up to the more
expensive parts such as the shocks or bushings.

Starting with cheap, I noticed that on my cars there would be a
squeeky noise when the rubber bushing that sits inside the shock tower
would rub up against the shock tower.  The bushing sits on top of the
spring and prevents the metal on metal contact between the spring and
shock tower.  When I installed new shocks and springs on one of my
DeLoreans, I put high impact grease on both sides of that bushing and
it eliminated that noise.

I hope this is helpful!
Dave Jacobs

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:51:27 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

A couple of possibilities:
  Wheel bearings.  If this is the case they will usually make more
noise when side loaded.  E.G. Drive the car at the speed where it is
noisy, and turn or weave back and forth in the lane.  This will load
the bearings a little more on the side outside of the turn and cause it
to make more noise.  This does not always work, but it's free and
quick.  If the noise gets louder when you turn left, it's the right
bearing and vice versa.
  Tire noise.  It could be the tire tread that's making the noise.
Check the tires for a "saw tooth" wear on the tread blocks.  Also you
can try swapping the front tires, although that dosen't always work.
  A Delorean specific noise.  It could be something that I'm not
familiar with.  Possibly the fuel pump, or something of that nature.
I'm sure someone else can help.

Matt Smith

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:28:21 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Steve,

Check with your local auto dealerships Many times they rent trade-ins. Although  you
might not want to tell them what you are planning to use it for. It seems like most  trucks
have hitches at least the previously owned ones usually do. Afterall a pick-up is for
hauling and towing.

But frankly, if your car is drivable buy show time then just drive it. Our cars were ment to
be driven. Not trailered.  BTW: From the article that was in the last DCS mag I can't wait to
see the follow up in this coming issue.

Dennis

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:36:41 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Towing the DMC (light weight trailer options)

VB,

If you are looking for a light weight trailer, you should probably
focus on two choices: open center, steel trailer or all aluminum.

I have been using a 16 foot open center (dual rail) steel trailer
to transport DeLoreans for about 5 years now, to just about every
state East of the Mississippi and it has towed well both behind my
Ford F350 Ext. Cab Dually as well as behind my Crown Vic.  To keep
extra dirt and road debris off the underside of the car, I have a
few sheets of painted plywood covering the open center area.  This
combination is both light weight (about 1,000 lbs.), yet it's still
strong enough to transport the GT40 Rock Crawler vehicle too.

The other option is an all aluminum trailer, which is usually more
expensive than steel (except with recent steel surcharges) and the
aluminum can be brushed (if not done already) and nicely accents
the brushed SS panels on the DeLorean.  Even the larger and more
heavy duty rental aluminum trailers seldom weigh more than 1,500
lbs., so a used rental aluminum trailer can be another good choice.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:41:05 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Seat Covers

Is the same Castrol DOT4 brake fluid which I use for the Clutch also
recommended for the brakes?

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:50:04 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

There are two diodes in the fan ciruit.  One prevents the otterstat
from switching on the AC compressor, and the other one prevents the AC
compressor from powering the IGN circuit via the otterstat.  They are
taped together underneith and on the right side of the main harness in
the electrical compartment.  It is possible yours have either failed,
inproperly installed after PO work, or nonexistant.  However there is
another possibility.  If the PO installed some "custom" wiring when
installing the new compressor, and tied it directly into the otterstat
circuit since the two devices are relatively close together in the
engine compartment.  Visually check that first by verifying that there
is only ONE cable going into the AC compressor (pink on harness side)
and that nothing is tapped into it.  Also check the otterstat wires to
ensure there are only two of them and nothing is tapped into them.
Once that checks out verify the presence, installation, and operation
of the diodes.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:47:05 -0000
From: "dkazmark" <dkazmark_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Back into the fray -

Hello All,

Its nice to see alot of familiar names on the list that still have
their cars. I've been out of the delorean world for about 5 years
(sold mine to pay for my bachelors and finish school) and i am
thinking about jumping back into delorean ownership (i must be
crazy). I've coninually been seeing lower grade cars going for big
bucks, and am wondering if the restoration experience is something
that I'd like to undertake. I wouldn't even attempt it if i didn't
live right down the street from PJ Grady's so im in a unique
situation. A few questions.....

#1 - Does anybody on the list have any info on the Ebay car with the
non-working engine? It seems to be in decent shape yet it lingers on
the site with no takers.

#2 - Is there any owners on Long Island that know of any cars for
sale locally?

#3 What does a crate engine run these days from any of the suppliers?

#4 Does anyone know how vin#3541 is doing out there? Never heard
from the new owner and was wondering if shes still out there

Thanks all,
-Donald Kazmark - former owner of #3541 new vin?

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:56:27 -0000
From: "Jim Reeve" <dmc6960_at_dml_gmail.com>

I have side on Martin's idea here.  I saw him post this information a
few years ago on this list.  I immediately did this to my car and I
love the results.  I can easily engage the clutch in first gear
without needing any gas pedal action, the engine has less tencency to
stall when disengaging the clutch on closed-throttle deceleration, and
I can idle up a steep hill in second gear with no gas and no sweat.
Its really a great thing to have set up on your car, but your idle
system should be working perfectly before doing any adjusting on the
brass screws.

Jim Reeve
DMC6960

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> I take it you mean with the AC on?  :-)
>>
>> This is where I get shot down in flames, but when I get a car with such
>> a problem, I start playing with the "brass screws". Here's a little
>> guide to setting these up that should cure your problem. It can't do

any

>> harm and if you're not happy, just re-seat them all back down gently.
>>
>> 1) Let your engine idle up to temperature
>>
>> 2) With everything OFF (radio, ac, blower, lights, everything) , back
>> the rear two brass screws out by 2 turns each.
>>
>> 3) Back out the front one (that has a flat screw head) slowly and keep
>> going until you hear the engine speed start to increase. At that point,
>> screw it back in half a turn, such that the idlespeed is how it was

before.

>> What we're doing here is getting the engine to a point where it needs a
>> minimum amount of air to idle. As you let more air in via the brass
>> screws, the idlespeed system will fight you and close off the valve.
>> When you get to the point where the engine revs start to rise, the
>> idlespeed valve is closed. We're putting the minimum air requirements
>> through the brass screws and giving the idlespeed system more

"headroom"

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:11:49 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Doors

It's more than likely the cold weather.  My doors do the same when the weather gets
cold and I hear the same from a lot of other owners.

Corey
2423

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If they are fine when it's warm, then it's the struts.
 : )

Steve

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:41:59 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Seat Covers (NOS gray covers)

Rick,

If you are looking for a pair of NOS stock gray seat covers,
for Concours or to just keep the interior of your car original,
I do have a couple of spare sets of NOS stock gray seat covers.
They are more expensive than the Repros, but they are original.

If you (or others on the list) are interested in NOS covers,
feel free to contact me directly via email.

Thanks,
Rich W. rich(AT)outernet-tech.net

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

>> Can't say, but my son and I put some NOS stock covers in his car

and they

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:09:00 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

It's shouldn't be the tires.  I just put brand new Yokohama tires on in March.  I
checked them out and they are still good.