Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2944
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:22 Oct 2005 18:00:20 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. luggage rack
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

2. RE: Back into the fray -
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>

3. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

4. Re: Back into the fray -
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

5. Re: A/C compressor tied to fans?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

6. Re: Engine vacuum problems?
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>

7. Re: A/C compressor tied to fans?
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. RE: FanZilla versus the EBay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

10. RE: Strange acceleration problem
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

11. RE: Doors
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

12. Re: FRONT END creeking noise
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>

13. Was Re: Seat Covers Now Brake Fluid
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. RE: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Re: Re: FRONT END creeking noise
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

16. Re: Doors
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Brake products Promotion
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. RE: Humming sound
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

19. Re: luggage rack
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

20. RE: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

21. Re: Doors
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: luggage rack
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

23. Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. Re: luggage rack
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

25. Re: Back into the fray -
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:24:58 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: luggage rack

   I have a luggage rack for my Delorean and I was wondering how
practical it is.  I bought it with the idea of putting a suitcase on it
when I go to Chicago this coming June, as the storage area in the D is
very lacking.  When I looked at the instructions and then begain to
wonder about the drilled holes, etc and thought it best to seek the
wisdom of the seasoned D owners.  Does it have an effect on heat
escaping from the engine compartment?  Thank you for your responses in
advance.

Roy

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 16:26:59 -0400
From: "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_bnl.gov>
Subject: RE: Back into the fray -

Don,

Don't know of any D's for sale here on LI, glad to hear that there may be another D showing up locally.

Rob has many cars there at his shop. Why not ask him what he has in the fixer-upper class that he's willing to part with? In the long run you might do better than taking on something unknown.

Pete Cameron

#1 - Does anybody on the list have any info on the Ebay car with the
non-working engine? It seems to be in decent shape yet it lingers on
the site with no takers.

#2 - Is there any owners on Long Island that know of any cars for
sale locally?

#3 What does a crate engine run these days from any of the suppliers?

#4 Does anyone know how vin#3541 is doing out there? Never heard
from the new owner and was wondering if shes still out there

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:25:11 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: FanZilla versus the Ebay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall

I measured them at 8 amps each and 15 amps each on startup.

Martin

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:51:18 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

According to the latest issue of the Owner's Directory the car is now
in Bridgeman Michigan, although I don't recognize the owner's name or
email address as a frequent poster to the list.

BTW - things have changed a lot in five years. You can get pricing on
stuff like a crate motor on the web now from most any of the vendors.

http://www.dmcnews.com/links.html

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:10:55 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: A/C compressor tied to fans?

Perhaps someone installed the 3 wires on the back of the vacuum switch
wrong. -----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:21:24 -0000
From: "stainlessilusion" <5n-_at_dml_gmx.net>
Subject: Re: Engine vacuum problems?

I was able to remove my intake today. I'm in the process of
reinstalling it with the silicone. When I got the intake off, I
noticed an oily substance all over both intake/head ports and also
collecting in the closed #6 cyl intake valve. It is a dark brownish
substance that smells like a mix of fuel and oil. I would guess bad
valve seals leaking oil into the air/fuel mix-but there is no trace of
it dripping down and it is all of my ports with this fluid on/in them
not just one. Also, I had seepage of oil running down underneath the
intake-coming from a broken VC gasket. I will put a new gasket in
after I submit this, wondering if this could cause a low vacuum also?
-----Dani B. #5003

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:58:44 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I had heard from someone that this might have been common practice on
GM cars in the early 80's, so I guess it wouldn't be much of a stretch
for it to be standard on a D.  That's why I wasn't sure if I had a
problem or not.  But given everyone's input, it doesn't sound like
it's normal for the DeLorean. The air here in Vegas in very dry
anyway, so it's not helpful to me in the winter.  BTW, what's a
defroster?  :)

Thanks to all who responded with consistent opinions that I need to
explore what might be going on with the diodes. On and off list, folks
have helped me identify their location. If I have a bad one, I've also
found them available for purchase.

I'll let you know what I find when it's all resolved...

Marv
#10820

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I've heard of this before. Some will actually wire the A/C

compressor

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:13:55 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Martin,

You sure you didn't work on my Black Beauty #4045, I just tightend
mine down and there is no power at all.  May have to use your
suggestion just to get her drivable again.  Before I send her south
for the winter for the Stage II engine upgrade.

Bernie
BB #4045 and CB #6704

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> I take it you mean with the AC on?  :-)
>>
>> This is where I get shot down in flames, but when I get a car with

such

>> a problem, I start playing with the "brass screws". Here's a

little

>> guide to setting these up that should cure your problem. It can't

do any

>> harm and if you're not happy, just re-seat them all back down

gently.

>> 1) Let your engine idle up to temperature
>>
>> 2) With everything OFF (radio, ac, blower, lights, everything) ,

back

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:02:36 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

John,

Fanzilla isn't gone for good. He's hibernating:-).

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:12:03 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Strange acceleration problem

Dan,

Before you try to trouble shoot the fuel injection I would suggest changing
the fuel filter. That corrects the symptoms you describe more than half of
the time. Do you know when it was last changed? A bad CPR won't allow you to
accelerate at all for a few minutes with a cold engine so I doubt it's that.

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:26:01 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Doors

Joey, colder weather will do that. If your struts are new then let it go
till it warms up. If they aren't then maybe new struts are in order. But,
What ever you do don't tighten the torsion bars to make up for the struts
before you try new ones at the right temperature.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 22:59:41 -0000
From: "ksgrimsr" <knut.s.grimsrud_at_dml_intel.com>
Subject: Re: FRONT END creeking noise

Hi Daniel,

I had the same issue with my good car a little while back. Both my
upper and lower ball joints just needed to be lubricated. I suspect
that the upper joint might often get missed by some lube shops that
don't know there's a fitting on the top of the upper control arm. The
ball joint gets excercised when you either turn the wheel or when the
suspension is jostled.

My low mileage car might not have ever really seen any lubrication of
these ball joints. You might have a similar scenario.

    Knut

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <dmcburn75_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Today after resolving a few problems I was faced with another. I
>> noticed that when I would come to a stop at a stop sign or light I
>> would hear a Creek coming from the front end.

<snip>

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:53:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Was Re: Seat Covers Now Brake Fluid

Castrol GTLMA DOT 4 is used for the clutch, the brakes, and to remove
epoxy paint from the frame.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:22:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Shain,
What do you mean you were not talking about me, You told me over the phone
that you and Rob didn't like it. You change the inrush current which last
maybe 1 or 2 milliseconds but you don't change the run current where the
damage is done. Keep the hot wire away from the cars wiring loom which is
what I do and rest better. Staggering is to me more of a cover up of other
problems that exist. Eliminate the high inrush current or run current and
then you have done something. Until then any device used in the fan circuit
is a temporary fix.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:38:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Re: FRONT END creeking noise

I had creaking noise in the front suspension and would
notice it mostly during stops and hitting bumps in the
road at slow speeds.  Noticed that it went away when I
greased the upper and lower ball joints.  Just
mentioning my 2 cents.  Good luck in finding the
noise.

Regards,
Wayne
www.AA9DY.com

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 03:05:21 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

It is most likely the weather, not the struts.  I have brand new
struts on my car.  They were perfect in warm weather, droopy when it
got cold, and perfect again this summer.  Now that the weather is
getting towards freezing they are a little droopy again.  Just the
nature of 100 pound doors and nitrogen struts in cold weather.

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_y...>

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 03:40:47 -0000
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: Brake products Promotion

Group,
I was waiting for parts to come in and get calipers rebuilt. So for
the next 30 days the promotion at SpecialTauto.com will be:
10% off our already low price on all brake products: Pads, kits
Calipers, master cylinders with out reservoir, SS brake lines and
more.
Rotors, will be $40.00 dollars off and freight paid if you buy a set
of 4. I don't need an exchange on the rotors but I will have to have
the calipers back within 30 days. There are just so many sets to go
around. If your going to put them on during storage, Then I can book
the order and ship when your ready.

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:45:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: RE: Humming sound

Due to maybe a kinked suction on the fuel pump?  I had
that happen on mine.  Fixed with a simple twist of the
fuel pump in the proper direction during installation.

Regards,
Wayne / VIN2447
www.AA9DY.com

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 04:26:33 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>
Subject: Re: luggage rack

Roy - I put a luggage rack on Winged1 several years ago.  I also got
a small waterproof roof-top soft carrier that I can strap down onto
the rack if I need to have protected cargo capacity.  The last few
times I have used the rack have been for carrying a couple of large
plastic tool boxes and the torsion bar adjustment rig when traveling
to tech sessions in other areas.  I also drove the car down to a
local metal products company to buy lengths of aluminum extrusion
for some of the brackets for our Wings-A-loft products.  Winged1
looked rather funny driving down the street with 16 foot pieces of
aluminum strapped to the rack.  In any event, I have found it to be
very practical in many instances.  I haven't noticed any issues with
heat build-up in the engine bay.  You can't really see any of the
mounting provisions with the louver down.  The attachments hang down
out of the way when not in use.  It's a very clever design.  I hope
this helps.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 00:33:45 -0400
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

[Moderator Note: DMLers are always welcome to disagree with each other as long as you keep it polite.  Please be careful about escalating this discussion.  - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

John,

I was reply to a post about the topic, which is also in a the subject line
of this discussion, the fan unit on ebay.  I am not trying to bash your
unit, unlike some replies I have received.  I was simply commenting on the
ebay units design of an unknown builder. As well as suggesting a way to
improve on your design, if I saw a particular flaw. What we talk about on
the phone, is off this discussion, thank you.  Current ranging from around
15 amps initial, and 8 amp continuous load, is quite capable of being
sustained on stock wiring.  After all the engineers of the car were not
totally off topic, and knew what the current ratings of the wires in the car
could handle.

The main problem with the car has never been if the fans come on,  the
simple relay setup in the car allowed for this.  It's the initial pull of
current, in my case 15 amps instantaneous, or in your module 30 amps
instantaneous.  It can damage electrical components, alternators, batteries
and possible stall the car out on warm days with the a/c running.  A large
amount of owners believe that the fan just stop working,  this is not the
case.  My unit attempts to bring the load on the car up and down at a
gradual pace, similar to going from a temperature from 100 degrees, to 90,
to 80....  Similarly, backwards for initial startup.  Yours goes from 70 to
100 degrees.  I don't know about you but your body would like to acclimatize
to a temperature slowly, then being shocked.  This is the same for
electrical systems.

Please do not contribute anymore if it is going to be negative.  I was only
trying to inform a possible buyer of this ebay unit of a possible design
flaw in the unit.  Although I would like to see inside of one.  A while ago
I posted schematics for a free fan sequencer, and would like to see if it
uses my design.  Since I am the only one I know of that has contributed free
information on how to build a fan module.

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 05:19:36 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Just the cold weather. You can always use a hair dryer to warm them up
to the 70-80 degree temp to test them.

Happens every winter, but there are some manufacturers that make more
powerful struts. If the doors just need some assistance to reach their
full travel, then the struts should be ok. But if they fall back down,
then your struts may be getting weak.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:53:53 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

The luggage rack presents absolutely no problems. I've used it many times over the years and just recently completed a 5500 mile trip using it. It's positioned so as not to block rear view mirror vision and has no effect on air flow through the engine compartment.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 11:58:37 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

The brass screws are only a throttle bypass and have no effect other
than at idle...

Martin

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:38:17 -0400
From: "David Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

With all the trips we take in our DeLorean we have it figured out that the
trunk will only hold two days of luggage. If the trip will be longer than we
pack the hard sided American Touristor and strap it onto the luggage
carrier. I've never had any problems with engine heat, rain on the other
hand will seep in to the suitcase. I think DMCH had a set of suitcases that
would fit nicely onto the luggage rack.

As far as drilling the holes, just make sure you have a new sharp drill bit.
Remember, measure twice, drill once.
Dave Sontos

Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:39:56 -0000
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

If my math is correct, less than $2000 instaled.

>> #3 What does a crate engine run these days from any of the suppliers?

Check out:
http://www.usadmc.com/performance.asp