Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2949
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:25 Oct 2005 02:46:29 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Suspension Choices (was Defunct Products (was - RE: FanZilla...))
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

2. Re: Zilla
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Front End shimmy
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

4. Attn: James Andrew Dille
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. distributor
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

6. Constant Air at Feet (was - Re: aircon air flow contrast)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: aircon air flow contrast
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Re: AC Condensor Set-up
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Front End shimmy
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Transmission Leak
From: "dr0309dr" <dr0309_at_dml_msn.com>

11. Re: distributor
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

12. Re: distributor
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. RE: AC Condenser Set-up
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. RE: Shock absorbers
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

15. Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it
From: "Shain Brannan" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

17. RE: My personal experience with my fanzilla and a fan fix.
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

18. Re: Zilla
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

19. RE: Zilla
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. Re: FanZilla versus the EBay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Zilla
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:13:24 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Suspension Choices (was Defunct Products (was - RE: FanZilla...))

At the moment I have two DeLoreans, one with the Mid-States setup and
one with the DMCHouston/Eibach setup. Both are "fresh" installations.
In addition to the price there are other very distinct differences that
come in to play. Depending on what you are looking for in a suspension,
this may over-ride the price difference.

The DMCH setup is probably more "true" to the original DMC design, in
that it is relatively stiff and very appropriate to a sports car. This
is very noticable when driving the two back to back. It does get rid of
the harshness that seems to be the problem with worn-out OEM Girlings
at this point, but it you still get a very responsive, very low sway-on-
turns setup. I'd compare it to the suspension on my M3 in this respect.

The Mid-states suspension is designed as a "touring" suspension. It is
somewhat softer than either the original or the DMCH setup. Notably
more lean in handling maneuvers, noticeably less stiffness on bad
pavement/railroad crossings. For long-distance or non-aggressive
driving it's probably a bit easier on the driver, with a feel more like
a larger sedan. Whether this is what you are looking for or not in a
DeLorean is very much a personal decision.

The condition of the roads you normally drive on may influence your
decision. Honestly I don't have a preference, I can appreciate each for
it's intended use. It's nice to have choices. As usual, don't buy on
price alone.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> This method is evident in the cancelation of the Koncelik/Grady

shocks. One

>> complainer kept complaining scaring off potential buyers (even after

the offer

>> was given to fix the isolated problem), then costs went up and now

that product

>> no longer exists. Now there is no real healthy vendor competition for

this item,

>> though Mid-State DeLorean Club still offers their option at half the

cost of the

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Zilla

--- Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Zilla products are the best, by far...they work in
>> all cars without the nonsense that I have found with
>> other vendors stuff...

I remember I tried to buy a FanZilla Nov 2003.  Now
it's one week from Nov 2005, and they're still on
backorder.

The Zilla line from what I've heard is fantastic, but
it's kind of hard to buy a product if it's not
available.  If it's not going to be available, then
what should people do?  Buy ANOTHER product.  Makes
sense to me =P.

I also remember at PF 2004, I had a note on my
windshield that my FanZilla was for sale for $90 as I
had just replaced it with Dual FanFix 2x2.  Of another
117 owners there with their cars and countless other
owners without cars, guess how many bought it?  Zero.
Sold on eBay for $125.

Oh, and for those of you reading into my story about
how I wanted one in Nov 2003 but still can't one, how
did I get my FanZilla?  That's how I met Casey.  Ebay
- $90.

Jeremiah

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:30:40 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Front End shimmy

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> I made a post earlier about the suspension... I still have another
>> problem to solve.
>>
>> I've been noticing that when I roll my car up on ramps, that my front
>> passenger side wheel (if the driver's side wheel is straight) seems to
>> be turned a little. While I am confident that my wheels are no longer
>> round and are out of balance, I am concerned about this. Is this
>> simply an alignment issue? or is this something different or is this
>> normal?
>>
>> Additionally, while it may be the tires/balance causing this, I have a
>> pretty bad shimmy at 65+ MPH
>>
>> What are your thoughts?

A slight toe-in is necessary for proper handling and drivability.. If the
wheels were perfectly parallel then the car would have no tracking
whatsoever and drift everywhere if you let go of the wheel as opposed
to continuing to track straight. If the toe-in is extremely noticable
though, then you probably need an alignment. It will also cause
excessive tire wear. Can't really answer if it would cause a shimmy or
not though. About all I can say is.. possibly.

Chris
VIN# 3209

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:22:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Attn: James Andrew Dille

To James Andrew Dille in Waynesville, OH... can you please shoot me an email?
ssdelorean(at)yahoo.com
I want to give you some information. Thanks.

Shannon Y

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:18:07 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: distributor

Building on Bruce's comment below, is there a computer controlled
distributor that is available that willl work in the DeLorean? It would be a
great help with the turbo setups and other engine modifications.

Cecil Longwisch
#10663

New cars

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Constant Air at Feet (was - Re: aircon air flow contrast)

Not to hijack your post Chris, I changed the topic.

>> From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
>> I have the opposite problem. I always get hot air at my feet.
>> Something is wrong, but I have no idea what.

I always thought this was normal. Both my AC panel knobs are OFF but I still get
air thru the foot well vents. Nothinging I can feel unless I put my hand close to
it, but what ever my temp control knob (hot vs cold air) is set on that is what
is "radiating" out of the vent. These past few mornings on my drive to work I do
not turn on the heat but turn the one knob to the warm side and that is enough to
make it comfortable.

Is this "normal" or is something wrong with our cars?

Shannon Y

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:29:33 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: aircon air flow contrast

Try this one for the hot-air-all-the-time problem:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/heatairleak.htm

Chris' problem is probably a mis-connected vacuum hose between the mode
switch and everything else.

Dave Swingle

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:10:39 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AC Condensor Set-up

Hey Dan!

Your vin is 3254????  I had no idea we were so close lol...sorry
about that, I thought yours was passed mine.

I found out that apparently the earlier versions used the early dryer
and didn't have a high pressure switch.  It apparently does have the
wiring for one but has a jumper on it or something of that nature.  I
guess that's the way you can convert it to the newer dryer relatively
easy.

I'll probably go with John's dryer and just keep it the way it is.
Yours might have been converted after some time if any AC maintenance
was done before you got it.  DMCH says they convert over all the time.

Thanks,

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> Brandon Wrote:
>>
>> "It makes sense since I had Dan check his car (over vin 34XX) and

his

>> looks like what's shown on John Hervey's site with the high

pressure

>> switch etc.
>>
>> Since mine is 3323 maybe you are correct and it just uses the
>> expansion valve instead. "
>>

>> My Vin is actually 3254 and the picture on John's website could

have been taken from my car.

>> I suppose that somewhere between vin 3254 and 3323 they could have

made the switch!?!

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:49:10 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_y...>

another

front

seems to

longer

this

have a

>> A slight toe-in is necessary for proper handling and drivability..

If the

>> wheels were perfectly parallel then the car would have no tracking
>> whatsoever and drift everywhere if you let go of the wheel as

opposed

>> to continuing to track straight. If the toe-in is extremely

noticable

>> though, then you probably need an alignment. It will also cause
>> excessive tire wear. Can't really answer if it would cause a

shimmy or

>> not though. About all I can say is.. possibly.
>>
>> Chris
>> VIN# 3209
>> http://badger.brazi.net/index.pl/delorean

If the driver's side is straight, and then the passenger side would
be toe out.

Sean

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:30:27 -0000
From: "dr0309dr" <dr0309_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Transmission Leak

My automatic has a VERY small transmission leak.  Before I try an
expensive fix, I planned on adding a standard transmission leak
stopping additive, to see if this will work.  Is there any problem
with this?  Will it hurt something?

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 23:59:37 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: distributor

You can pin the bob-weights and use an aftermarket ECU as long as it
supports an odd-fire engine. The Electromotive TEC3 does, but it's $$$$

Martin

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:49:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Last time I looked in to in, there were some add-on's
to the DIY "MegaSquirt" project.  I don't remember the
names, but there were a few of them.

Take a look at that system for a cost effective way to
convert the PRV engine to electronic ignition AND fuel
injection.

IMHO.... it will make the engine more reliable, easier
to tune, more efficient, and more powerful.

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:11:08 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: AC Condenser Set-up

Dan & Brandon, I'm working on a new connection that you are talking about
that will have a sight glass to see if your low on freon and will have the
high pressure and pop off on the cross section and the lower condenser hose
will screw in. Hopefully B4 Christmas.

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:21:11 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Shock absorbers

Sean, I do have a set of shocks on the site that are more affordable and I
am working with another manufacture on a new set .

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:43:35 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women

I got this lame tape on eBay for like, $2.00 called "Fast Cars and Beautiful
Women",
it has some Ferrari's, Porche's and of course a DeLorean.
The show the car and give some facts and then have an 80's chick with bad
hair
dance around the car.
This particular DeLorean looks to be a turbo, maybe even a twin?
It was supplied by: R. Carter McComb of Minneapolis Minnesota
Does anyone know this guy?

If you want to watch it, go to my website at:
http://www.dfwdmc.com and then go to MEDIA and it is at the top of the list.

- Videobob
VIN#5278 Time Machine

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:59:52 -0000
From: "Shain Brannan" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>
Subject: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it

Hey Guys,

Well my 23 year old and the rears have worn out.  I recently purchased
some new powder coated rims from Rob Grady, which for lack of a better
word looks great.  So i went to tirerack and they have listed 2 tires
that fit my car.  Dunlop qualifiers and some version of BF Goodrich
T/A.  The price is negligable,  and i cannot deceid what to pick.  I
am almost hesitant to ask,  but any suggestions?

-Shain

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:41:52 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: My personal experience with my fanzilla and a fan fix.

To whom it may concern,

Sorry about the incomplete sentence. I meant to say in the third
sentence....If a Fanzilla had been installed after the first meltdown this
problem would not have occurred again. The worst thing that would happen
with a high draw fan is a fuse would blow as it was designed to do long
before the fuse holder would be damaged. This event would trip the fan fail
light as intended and which stay on until the problem was fixed and a new
fuse installed. It's not rocket science just a good design executed with
quality materials and an expert doing all the assembly (Bobzilla himself).
That fact and the twelve year history of proven reliability allow me to go
to sleep at night comfortable in the knowledge that no DeLoreans are likely
to burn up due to the faulty design of a Zilla.  Sorry to Ron also that
there were none available when you wanted one. Fanzilla is the only fix,
whether it is a fused link or some type of controller, guaranteed not to
overheat in the most adverse conditions. I'll qualify that by saying that
Shain's new design is close enough in function and build quality to probably
be as reliable as FZ but only time will tell for sure. Now if we could just
think of a better name than the "Little grey box"! Does anyone have any
suggestions? Now be nice  :) .

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:07:47 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Tom,
What would you say is better, a New Bosch relay from one vendor at $14.95 or
the same New Bosch relay from another vendor at $8.95. We use Bosch relay's
in most all our modifications.
There was a person on the list about a year ago that thinks more money buys
a better quality.
One of the problems with the car is the several variations and mistakes and
information that is left out or not put into the diagram or changes made as
it's going along the manufacturing process.
If you don't have a fleet of cars to check them all out then there is no way
to know that those, what I call shift changes have occurred.
I understand the frustration by the customer and I also hate to hear it
also. We just have to chalk it up to another change, correct the problem and
go on.
If your referring to the headlight switch saver, your welcome to your money
back or I have fixed the wiring problem. I just installed one Friday in a
customers car with the new change and it's working fine.
Hopefully the new ones will be beefed up to handle the load, but if not you
will find out when it melts down also. Then the anger and frustration can be
blamed on the manufacture who can't build a simple switch to work.
If I don't hear about a recall at least once a month about a major
automobile manufacture having a problem it's rare.
I guess the point is that nothing is perfect.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:11:32 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: FanZilla versus the EBay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall

 What I'd like to know is how can anyone who owns an exotic car
complain about the cost of parts, especially those that correct or
improve manufacturer short commings? The price of admission of a
Delorean is its own undoing, IMO if the car wasnt relatively
affordable to purchase then there wouldnt be such an influx of cheap
fixes or gadgets, or bargain hunters for that matter. Perhaps then
some of these cars might actually survive to see the day when they
are viewed as the great cars they really are.
 As for the Zillas, I believe most of the community is in agreement
that they are the best thing out there. I have afew on my car and
presently am feeling pretty stupid that I didnt get all of them when
I had the chance!!
 When they come back into the market there is going to be a huge
order placed by me and Im sure several others. Intriguing really,
why wouldnt you put the best in your car? Ultimately you are
protecting money you've already spent.
 Personally, I'd like to thank Rob for only installing the Zillas in
my car. Vendor favoritism?? Absolutely, product favoritism? without
a doubt. Competition is always a good thing...but quality is always
in short supply.

Harry #2696
Wondering where I might be without the Zillas and Rob Grady

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:39:26 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Most people have NO IDEA the amount of development and testing that
goes into a product like a Zilla or any other of the better upgraded
parts that venders make available. Many of the cars have had their
wiring modified or maybe just burnt up. Then the owner expects to just
plug in a new upgrade and is unhappy when it doesn't work. Part of
what you pay for in that "exhorbitant" price is the customer service
that is provided AFTER the sale. That along with their generous
warranty. I had a Fanzilla go bad a week after I first installed it
years ago. I got another no questions asked and quickly. I found out
the unit had indeed failed, one of a handful. The replacement has
worked flawlessly for years. I am sure every vender can tell you about
the "customer from hell" where nothing they do can satisfy them. I am
not familiar enough with all the different offerings to replace the
fan fail relay but I can say that the origional relay is cr-p, the
bypass jumper is dangerous, and the Fanzilla works. IMHO it is more
elegant than most of the others in that it sequences that fans so it
is easier on the electrical system of the car and makes the fail light
in the console work the way it should. Too bad they are not available
right now but hopefully will be again soon. BTW there are still some
of the other Zilla products available in stock like Tankzilla. It is
funny though, as bad as the Zillas are and their price, it seems
everyone compares themselves to them. I guess they must be doing
something right?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Zilla products are the best, by far...they work in all cars without

the nonsense that I have found with other vendors stuff...The excuses