Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2950
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:25 Oct 2005 15:52:14 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Minimum rotor thickness?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

2. Re: AC Condenser Set-up
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: My personal experience with my fanzilla and a fan fix.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

4. RE: Re: Zilla
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

5. Re: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Transmission Leak
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

8. Re: Minimum rotor thickness?
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

9. Re: distributor
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: Transmission Leak
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Re: Election Reminder-DeLorean Owners Association
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>

12. Re: FanZilla versus the EBay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

13. plastic DeLorean
From: "joopnoordzij" <noordzy_at_dml_xs4all.nl>

14. name for fan controller box
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. RE: My personal experience with my fanzilla and a fan fix.
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Delorean with a Futuro!...A home of the future.
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

18. the Launching Doors system zilla
From: "france" <fchenail_at_dml_cgocable.ca>

19. RE: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

20. RE: AC Condenser Set-up
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

21. Re: aircon air flow contrast
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

22. Re: distributor
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

23. Re: plastic DeLorean
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>

24. Wheel options
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

25. RE: Re: Zilla
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:30:00 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Minimum rotor thickness?

Bill, It's on the web site under brakes. We also have a $40.00 discount
going on rotors right now.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/rotor-min-thickness.jpg

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 02:34:46 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AC Condenser Set-up

So it'd work with the earlier version setup?  So it'd connect from
the evaporator in between the connection and the hose that leads to
the condensor?

Also, if I'm converting to R134A, do I have to replace the AC hoses
because they molecularly leak the R134A?  Can anyone confirm this, I
was just told this (Don't remember seeing anything about this in the
R134A retrofit).

Thanks,

Brandon

>> Dan & Brandon, I'm working on a new connection that you are talking

about

>> that will have a sight glass to see if your low on freon and will

have the

>> high pressure and pop off on the cross section and the lower

condenser hose

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:53:32 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: My personal experience with my fanzilla and a fan fix.

Rob,
If you put a 10amp fuse in a 8 to 10 amp application, would you expect it to
blow.
If you put a 15 amp fuse in a 14 amp application in a 30 amp Rated
Littlefuse holder would you expect it to blow?

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:12:56 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Zilla

David,
>From what Tom is saying there should never be a failure if it is tested
properly and tested over many, many cars. Even thought the instructions say
works on stock wiring and you don't know the condition or if it's stock or
not. You plug it in and in a short while it fails for some reason.  Then, I
am hearing that the Zilla's never fail. Then you just said one failed.
Am I missing something. I have had 2 fail out of 200 and both are fuse
holders that failed, nothing else and in talking with the factory could have
been their manufacturing error. They are rated 30 amp and on a max of 15 amp
draw should have worked just fine. I'm looking at the Bussmann catalog and
black fuse holders are rated 20 amps. I'm a little confused over such a bad
product I build. Again, I know the Zilla has been around for a long time and
has a good track record, but everything as to start somewhere at sometime.
So, let's look back in a year and see how the new Box is going to do.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 03:37:48 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women

Watched it.   I like it.

The lighting setup is well done.  But the woman in the video.... never
mind.  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Steve
VIN#04421

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> I got this lame tape on eBay for like, $2.00 called "Fast Cars and

Beautiful

>> Women",
>> it has some Ferrari's, Porche's and of course a DeLorean.
>> The show the car and give some facts and then have an 80's chick

with bad

>> hair
>> dance around the car.
>> This particular DeLorean looks to be a turbo, maybe even a twin?
>> It was supplied by: R. Carter McComb of Minneapolis Minnesota
>> Does anyone know this guy?
>>
>> If you want to watch it, go to my website at:
>> http://www.dfwdmc.com and then go to MEDIA and it is at the top of

the list.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:03:14 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission Leak

Do not put additives in your transmission. They swell the seals to
make them stop leaking but the effect is temporary. Soon they will
leak worse than before. Seals leak for a reason. Usually because they
are worn. The thing to do is to find where the leak is and fix it.
Start with the dipstick. Pull it out and inspect the fluid. If it is
not nice and red and smells good ie, not burnt, then you can usually
get by with just fixing the leak. If the fluid feels gritty and smells
burnt then you have to flush it out and replace with fresh or you will
just keep eating up seals. There are several places the trans could
leak. Clean the exterior and watch for the leak. If it is the shift
cable there is a way to stop it. If it is the pan gasket you just have
to replace it. If the trans is overfilled it will leak all over. Don't
forget to check the final drive. It has a separate resovoir. If the
trans was overheated you might have to replace all of the exterior "O"
rings. You could also have a leaky hose. Never drive on a low fluid
level. The fluid will foam causing the trans to slip and if it slips
it will burn up. It can happen very quickly. I am always amazed that
people think they can buy "Mechanic In A Can"!!!!!! In most cases
additives do nothing except empty your wallet. That goes for the gas
additives, the oil additives, the stop leak additives, the battery
additives, injector cleaners, etc. There are some that do work. For
instance Marvel Mystery Oil for engine break ins, Barrs Stop Leak for
radiators. Techron injector cleaner, Dry Gas for moisture in the fuel
and the Red Line products.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:04:41 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it

I have a set of BF Goodrich's on the rear end of my car.  They work out well.  The
Goodrich's are wider, so they give the car, in my opinion, a nice mean looking stance
if you look at it from the rear.  I got some Yokohama's on the front end that fit really
nice too.  I replaced all 4 tires in March and it ran me roughly $400 for the 2
Goodrich's and the 2 Yokohama's.  I don't know if that helped...  But I like the BF
Goodrich's.

Corey
2423

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:19:28 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

If memory serves me, not well by the way, I believe it's 7mm.  I know it's
printed on the rotors if I'm wrong about the 7mm.  I just had mine turned
for the last time because I'm down to minimums now.

Lingo

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 06:28:13 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: distributor

I think Daniel Fox recently completed a MegaSquirt conversion.  You
could check with him at az-d.org.

Marv

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I tried that.  Won't work  - at least it didn't for
me.  So far, it didn't damage anything, that was over
a year ago.  From what I've heard, every single
DeLorean auto tranny leaks in some way or another.
It's practically inevitable =P.

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 04:35:15 -0000
From: "ocdelorean" <director_at_dml_deloreanmagazine.com>
Subject: Re: Election Reminder-DeLorean Owners Association

Hi Roy,

The majority of our board members are currently on the West coast but that will not be the
case in the future.  In fact, our magazine editor is on the East coast and he does contribute
greatly to the Association despite the distance.  We do conference others out of state if
need be for our meetings. There are also several other members on the East coast who
have just now volunteered their time, like yourself, to the Association.  If you would like to
be a possible board member or just a staff member please let us know and I will include
you on our list of staff and potential board members.  Ballots have just been mailed and I
encourage all Association members to vote and/or fill in your own name if you would like
to be a part of the board or staff.  And yes we do have plans to have events and activities
on the East coast soon, so your help would be appreciated as a volunteer.  Thanks again
for your interest and if any other Association members would like to volunteer their time
please email me off list for further information.

Thank you,

Tony Hilger
DeLorean Owners Association
Magazine Director
http://www.deloreanmagazine.com

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:15:48 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: FanZilla versus the EBay competitor for Fan Controller Idle Stall

spaceace3113,

All this talk about fanzillias and fan fail this and fan fail that,I
can tell you from experience that the real problem lies with
age,basically we are dealing, with copper wiring(since its British
wiring,who knows what they stuck in there)anyway,We are talking about
wiring,that has seen 24+ years of electrical resistance of all kinds,
(and who knows what else!)on EVERY Delorean made,It is not  that the
Fanzillia was needed,it is because,the wiring system, on all
Deloreans is aged,and like anything that ages(humans included) it
needed a "boost" to keep it healthy,(in a sense the equivalent of a
pace maker in a human chest)as  I remember in the mid eighties, I had
two low mileage Deloreans (a 81 and a 83) both ran flawless,never
overheated,no electrical problems of any kind,and everything worked
perfect, zero problems period! Why? Because the cars were still
Young,and had not aged!  Again because they had not seen the
elements,and the ravages,of 24+ years of everyday electrical
usage,and electrical
resistance on the electrical system.Think of it this way,when the
Deloreans were new,they began life with a weak electrical system to
begin with,but being new,it could handle it,since things like the
taillight circuit boards/Lambada system and all its relays/fuel
pump/coils/window motors/solenoids/dash switches ect ect were
new,they did not HAVE the electrical resistance like the Deloreans
NOW have in 2005!  In a Nutshell it has to do with wiring and
components,that has seen multiple failures/shorts/corrosion/aged out
items, on the electrical system and components(and this includes 99%
of the Deloreans out there,EVERY time something starts failing,it
causes resistance or stress in your Deloreans wiring system,it
basically is  putting more stress(and possible damage) on a aged
wiring system.More stress equals more resistance(ie:less current
flow) which means more heating (of the backed up current flow)of the
electrical system.
With today's demand for high powered electronics,in our Deloreans,the
fragile wiring system is being overburdened,sticking a high powered
alternator,with high demand electronics,in a car with a marginal
electronics's system,that is now close to 25 years old is asking for
trouble.Just think of it this way,would you run today's high powered
electronics in a 1950's house with 1950's wiring,without at least
upgrading the wiring and fuse box,to be able to "push" more current?
That is basically what is happening with the Delorean,NO add-on will
cure the problem of a aged (or problematic)wiring system,it is a band-
aid cure,that at best HELPS,to prevent the problem(s)(like a pace-
maker,from getting a heart attack) from occurring,but DOES NOT solve
the problem,to solve the problem ,would mean to re-engineer the total
wiring system to 2005's wiring standards.Since nobody can afford to
do that,the second best thing to do is re-engineer(or replace) the
items that caused the stress in the Delorean wiring system,which
basically is what the major vendors have done or are doing.Which
basically is also almost every electrical component in the Delorean
system.(just by looking at how much electrical "stuff" has been
upgraded or is being upgraded for a Delorean says it all)By taking
the burden off the electrical system with refined (re-engineered)
items(ex:better radiator fans,better solenoids,better
relays,taillight CB's ect)and also restoring to new specification's
all electronic contacts including any shorts (positive and negative
contacts)so that electronic flow can flow as good or better than
new,would go a long way to solving the REAL problems,and not to
expect ONE single item to "cure" a ailing and aging (and outdated to
2005's electrical demand) wiring system.
cbl

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>>  What I'd like to know is how can anyone who owns an exotic car
>> complain about the cost of parts, especially those that correct or
>> improve manufacturer short commings? The price of admission of a
>> Delorean is its own undoing, IMO if the car wasnt relatively
>> affordable to purchase then there wouldnt be such an influx of

cheap

>> fixes or gadgets, or bargain hunters for that matter. Perhaps then
>> some of these cars might actually survive to see the day when they
>> are viewed as the great cars they really are.
>>  As for the Zillas, I believe most of the community is in agreement
>> that they are the best thing out there. I have afew on my car and
>> presently am feeling pretty stupid that I didnt get all of them

when

>> I had the chance!!

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:58:56 -0000
From: "joopnoordzij" <noordzy_at_dml_xs4all.nl>
Subject: plastic DeLorean

Go to the link below for a no-rust modern version of our DeLorean  ;-)

Joop Noordzij, VIN 3085

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:40:52 -0500
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: name for fan controller box

>> Now if we could just
>> think of a better name than the "Little grey box"! Does anyone have any
>> suggestions? Now be nice  :) .
>>
>> Rob Grady
>>
>> P.J.Grady Inc.

Make the box silver, and call it Quick Silver.

You know, mercury... temperature sensitive. I thought there was a historical
use that was pertinent, but I can't put my finger on it so I might be
imagining it.

On another note, can we drop the whole Zilla conversation now? It's getting
old and very tiresome.

-Kevin

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 06:23:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Hey Rob,
How about "Fanzuki" ("Fanzookie"?). Godzuki (or Godzookie?) was Godzilla's little
offspring. Since this is in a sense spawn of Fanzilla it seems fitting.   ;-)

He's also kinda grey looking: http://members.cox.net/nonstoppop/godzilla.htm

Shannon Y
16506

-------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:41:52 -0400
   From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:17:43 -0000
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Delorean with a Futuro!...A home of the future.

Hello all.
I thought everybody might enjoy these pictures.
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/deloreanwithafuturo.msnw

My D is parked next to a Futuro... a modular home of the future. There
are only around 50 in exsistance and this person owns 2 connected
together. Unfortunatly, its not made from stainless steel, but
fiberglass. The owner just finished painting it. They were built in the
late 60's.... well you can find out more here:
http://futuro-house.net/

The car of the future, and a home of the future!

I guess ive never really introduced myself here but I am on Tamirs
message board periodicaly.  My wife and I live in Carlisle, OH and we
are the recent proud owners of Vin 1495. I've used the DML countless
times already and Im sure i'll be on here alot in the future. While
your checking out those pictures make sure you look at my home-made
deloreans:
http://groups.msn.com/DMCPhotos/homemadedeloreans.msnw

Jeremy

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:12:53 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.

In a message dated 10/24/2005 10:25:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
john_at_dml_specialtauto.com writes:

There  was a person on the list about a year ago that thinks more money buys
a  better quality.

In fact, Bosch has several manufacturing facilities around the world  and the
same applies to that company...you get what you pay for.

A supplier/subcontractor plant in Poland or India, that  manufactures parts
for Bosch Automotive, has a higher part failure rate  than a BOSCH A.G. factory
making the same part in Germany or  France.

Good Quality parts are much more expensive.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:02:49 -0400
From: "france" <fchenail_at_dml_cgocable.ca>
Subject: the Launching Doors system zilla

i will like to know if the Launching Doors system are good
and if hard to put on the d.
thank  stef

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:05:19 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mike, All the relays I have seen from Bosch are made in Germany. So what
your saying is that when I order parts from the Bosch warehouse I need to
specify what country. HUMMM, that's a new twist, I have never seen anybody
in 30 + years in dealing in automotive where you can specify country.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:21:57 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Brandon, The AC people I talk to say replace the lines due to age and also
as I understand the R134A runs a little higher pressure.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:32:10 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: aircon air flow contrast

On 10/24/05, Dave Swingle <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com> wrote:

>> Try this one for the hot-air-all-the-time problem:

Thanks Dave.  :)

--
- Ryan

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:01:23 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

I'm running the MegaSquirt on an 85 Nissan truck, and a buddy has it
on his 84 300zx turbo.  (not to get too off topic)
It is a viable system, you need a firm understanding of what is
required for an engine to run.  And yes there are many variations and
add-ons.
Check out www.msefi.com and www.megasquirt.com for more info.
I personally will keep the k-jetronic on my D since I prefer to keep
it stock.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:06:43 +0100
From: Mike Green <mikedx_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: plastic DeLorean

wow

that is nothing short of brilliant - and inspirational.

I've been trying to talk a friend of mine into building a 1:1 scale
lego model of a delorean to go next to his real one...

Never know, might get him drunk enough to start it one day  ;)

Mike

--
------------------------------------
Mike Green

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:45:00 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Wheel options

Can the wheel be chromed, gold plated, powder coated, painted? If so who
does which? And can they have an orginal coating?

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:39:24 -0400
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

John,

Although I have been trying to stay out of a lot of this fan conversation as
it is spread to different areas,  I feel compelled to voice some of my
person thoughts.  You module is not of a totally bad design,  it also it not
my greatest in my opinion either.  As I glance over your web site,  you
explain how your unit works by saying, (must have changed you page), "cause
of the wiring".  Which doesn't really explain much to me.  I have been able
to explain feature by feature how it helps the orgional problems.  When I
was working on my unit I had talked to individual with 25 years of
experiance a few times, and he provided me with real world information on
what he wanted to see, from real world happens,  not some assumptions you
made.  I still do not understand how your unit fixes any problems.  I mean
yes there are 2 relays which is great because of failure,  but there not
even sealed (and we have seen how unsealed relays hold up in the orgional
lock module).  You seem to use all crimp on connectors, almost no electrical
components.  I believe a quality product should incorporate a little more
for $140.  Each module I sell has a production quality circuit boards,  real
electronics (go figure), all soldered connections, and a real method I could
explain to anyone how and why it helps the car out.  I believe if I grabbed
2 people at random, and showed them both our units opened,  they would see
mine as a quality production unit.  And David is right, you get what you pay
for, and yes any sophisticated electronic unit has a higher initial failure
then a few spade connectors and 2 relays.  Everyone has had a bad electronic
device in there time,  but once replaced it last for years.  This should not
be a battle over who built what better.  If Fanzilla was around I never
would have built my unit.  But they were not for me,  so we move on.  In
comparison to you I built a better mouse, with information from individuals
who have worked on the cars since they were new.  When Fanzillia's are back,
I'm sure my production will stop.  Lets just give all of this up,  you have
the market for the lower cost unit, and mine for the slighty more expensive.

-Shain