Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2952
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:26 Oct 2005 18:06:05 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Turn signal lamp
From: "drrrh_1" <rick.heile_at_dml_hp.com>

2. Re: Re: Front End shimmy
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

3. Re: Wheel options
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. DeLorean for sale in Hamden CT
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

6. Re: Turn signal lamp
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Lock Module Update
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. RE: Wheel options
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Won't start in the rain
From: "howardeskinjr" <howardeskinjr_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Convex Mirrors
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Delorean V-8 Conversions
From: "ramviper2" <gullable_at_dml_bellsouth.net>

12. Re: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument cluster???
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Zilla - Long
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. RE: Minimum rotor thickness?
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>

17. RE: Re: Zilla
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

18. Re: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>

19. Re: Won't start in the rain
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

20. Re: Halloween Foolishness: Is your D haunted?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

21. Re: Won't start in the rain
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Won't start in the rain
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

23. Re: Convex Mirrors
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

24. Re: Won't start in the rain
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

25. Re: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:52:05 -0000
From: "drrrh_1" <rick.heile_at_dml_hp.com>
Subject: Turn signal lamp

Hi,
Does someone know what type of lamp I can use to replace a burned out
front right turn signal? I have a feeling the one that was in there is
not right since it had two filaments.

Thanks

Rick 3290

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:31:42 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Front End shimmy

seanhagan wrote:

>>If the driver's side is straight, and then the passenger side would
>>be toe out.
>>
>>Sean

Well if your front wheels are toed out, you definatly need an alignment
then.. I bet your car handles quite strangely as well.

VIN# 03209

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:53:03 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel options

Hey John,

Could they machine custom rims that look like flux capacitors?  Open
so you could see the brake calipers  :)

Would be interesting to see some new styles out there, anyone know of
any good rims to put on a D?  I like the open type where you can see
the rotor and only has 3 or so big spokes....

Anyways just thought I'd chime in as I'm curious.

Thanks,

Brandon

>> Charles, I'm supposed to pick up a set of wheels tomorrow that are

like new.

>> Were now in the wheel business. Fixem up and what ever. Take a look

towards

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:10:26 -0000
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: DeLorean for sale in Hamden CT

There is a 1981 DeLorean for sale at Bernardo Motors in Hamden CT. VIN 7084, grey five
speed. 39K miles. Supposedly in good condition, though it needs new seat covers. Asking
price is $16K.

Here's the ad on AutoTrader

http://tinyurl.com/8wmmd

I am planning to visit some friends in Hamden the first weekend in November (Nov 4-6).
Assuming it hasn't sold by then, I'd be willing to give the car a quick once over and test drive
(if they let me) for anyone who may be interested in buying it.

Email me off-list if you are interested. My address is f14dflyerATcomcast.net

-Dave Jong

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:09:13 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it

coreysmoo wrote:

>>I have a set of BF Goodrich's on the rear end of my car.  They work out well.  The
>>Goodrich's are wider, so they give the car, in my opinion, a nice mean looking stance
>>if you look at it from the rear.  I got some Yokohama's on the front end that fit really
>>nice too.  I replaced all 4 tires in March and it ran me roughly $400 for the 2
>>Goodrich's and the 2 Yokohama's.  I don't know if that helped...  But I like the BF
>>Goodrich's.
>>
>>Corey
>>2423

I'm probably going to go with Yokohama AVID T4's on the front and AVID
S/T's on the rear when I order the tires for my D. I've had good luck
with yoko's in the past, and both those. while being only T rated ( I
don't really ever expect to get my D up past 120 anyway so it doesnt
matter) seem to have identical tread patterns. I think the S/T's have
outlined white letters, but thats easy enough to remedy with careful
application of sandpaper.  :)

VIN# 03209

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:18:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Turn signal lamp

That is correct. 1157. DO NOT use 1156; you will get
so many headaches.  Warren - you should be able to
vouch for that.  Remember that call you got about ym
A/C lights, side markers, and binnacle lights in
correspondence to the turn signal....?

For kicks, if you want to give yourself a huge
headache, put a 1156 bulb in there and watch the
mayhem ensue.  I accidentally put a 1156 in my front
driver's turn signal....when I turned my turn signal
on, my A/C lamps, overhead binnacle lights, and
sidemarkers all flashed with my turn signal.  Then I
pushed the headlight switch in, and it sent a current
that fed power to those lights causing the flashing to
stop, BUT ALSO stopping my left turn signal - both
front and rear driver's side - from flashing - they
remained permanently on - both on the binancle cluster
and the front/tail lights.  That was to say the least,
HELL.  Casey and I broke out the wiring diagram, and
we went over that for 4+ hous trying to figure it out.
 Finally Casey asked me if I toyed with the front turn
signal, and I told him yes.  We looked ans sure enough
I had placed a 1156 bulb in there.  Put in 1157 and
boom - problem solved.

**- Disclaimer to the above paragraph.  If you decide
to put a 1156 bulb in your front turn signal to see
what would happen, I AM NOT RESPONSBILE for anything
that may happen to your car or any of its components.
We fixed my car, and it's running fine, but that does
not necessarily mean that your car will behave the
same.  If you want to see the hell I went through - go
ahead - but in doing so I am relieved of ALL
responsibilities and damages sustained to your car or
any of its components. -** End Disclaimer.

1157's work because those front turn signals also act
as running lights when the headlight switch is pushed
in once, also obviously when the headlight switch is
pushed in once for standing lights.  Since they act as
both turn signals AND running lights, you need a two
filament bulb to act for two components - turn signals
and running lights.  1157 is correct.  Available at
your local auto store of your flavor:
AutoZone,PepBoys, O'Reilys, Advance Auto Parts,
CarQuest, or your local NAPA parts store.

Jeremiah

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:37:12 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Lock Module Update

Greetings! A few weeks ago I read a post that described an alternative lock module update
that is being readied for production. Just wondering how soon it will be in the marketplace
... looking forward to having power doorlocks again!

- Geoff

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:36:12 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

I don't think they could do that, but with the CNC, lathe and other
equipment I'm not for sure what all they can do.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 03:16:16 -0000
From: "howardeskinjr" <howardeskinjr_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Won't start in the rain

Hey,
Anyone else have problems starting their car in the rain.  I was out
crusin on Saturday with my two year old son and it started raining.  I
had to stop for a minute and when I went to start the car again it
just cranked away.  After several attempts I gave it a rest.  my fuel
gauge isn't working so I ran out got some gas and came back and it
started right up.  I filled up right after but I could only put 3
gallons in so I don't think it was out of gas.  I'm not sure if it was
flooded or maybe the distributor got wet??

thoughts??

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:38:08 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Convex Mirrors

I know that someone has made up some replacement convexed mirrors for the
DMC,
I was wondering if anyone had more details on this?
Has anyone managed to cross reference our mirrors with another vehicle?
As many of the off the shelf items used on our cars, I wonder if the mirrors
are
some something else?

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:02:05 -0000
From: "ramviper2" <gullable_at_dml_bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Delorean V-8 Conversions

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> I'm about an hour NE of memphis on I40 in Jackson and I know of at
>> least 2 D's here. Mine of course and there's one other. I think the

other

>> is for sale but I haven't talked to the guy personally so I don't

know any

>> specifics or know it's condition.
>>
>> Chris
>> VIN#3209
>> http://badger.brazi.net/index.pl/delorean

Hey chris yeah i`m out here near Pigeon Forge area where the show
was.Just trying to find some local people i can hang around with and
get that knowledge i may need when the time comes for me to get my
first car.thanks for reading my post.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:48:34 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women

Hey Warren,

That really made me laugh....glad you said something because I was
thinking about taking a look, but I'm at work, so it's good you said
something!

LOL

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_u...> wrote:

>> "Red" McComb owns car dealerships in San Antonio and owns the

Minnesota

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:39:25 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument cluster???

I bought a used instrument cluster to use for a possible indiglo dash job to preserve my original cluster.

But the questions is that the used cluster I bought arrived with the upper speedo cable still attached, it looks simple enough to detach.

Just push the metal tab back, then slide off the cable & housing. But the cable itself is froze in the back of the speedometer, the housing just slides off leaving the cable hanging. I have pulled & pulled, but do not want to break anything. I even soaked the cable end in PB Blaster thinking it was somehow stuck from setting in there for 25 years.

But it isn't coming out, has anyone had this happen before?

Thanks,

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:09:05 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Sure, it's "work safe", there is NO nudity or profanity on the site (that I
know of).
- VB

>>From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: Re: [DML] Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
>>Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:36:22 -0500
>>
>>"Red" McComb owns car dealerships in San Antonio and owns the Minnesota
>>Vikings, or did.
>>I didn't watch the video.  Your stuff isn't work safe.
>>Warren at DMC

[moderator snip]

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:11:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Zilla - Long

Jeremiah has some made some excellent points......totally valid and understood.   As Ed McMann used to say "You are correct Sir!.......I think the objection was that some of the discussion started to slam the Zilla line as inferior to some of the other "inventions" that have come out.    It is hard for new owners who don't have Zilla's in their cars to make an informed decision.  If there are none out there then it's the next best thing that's available.  I understand that. BUT.....I will stick my my previous comment and say that if you want to risk your car to an item that "may or may not work in all cars" it's your choice.  Again, I will no longer install any electrical item without first checking with Rob.   I hacked up my wiring to install someone's electrical item per the instructions and the friggin thing didn't work.   Wasted $30....oh well....live and learn.   I would still check with the guys who work on our cars everyday before putting in another product that may very well
 screw up your car.  Without a time-tested item like Zilla available, it's a crap shoot.  Rob seems to like this other Fan Unit....I would not hesitate to install it if Rob approves it.   Without that.....your on your own.

Personally, I think it's bush league to take a Zilla product, open it up and dissect it and then spout whatever opinion the person has who opened it up.  Is this also illegal?? not sure, but I think that this is not an honorable practice to take someone's work and pick it apart especially in a small community such as ours.

If Zilla is never to return, it's a loss for all of us....even if you think that these products are not as good as some of the new stuff out there.  Given some of the issues some of you have posted about other units, I would disagree. Yup, they were more expensive but if you wanted the best, most reliable and tested product there was, the Zilla line was "the" one to get.

If I had the money to buy Jeremiah's Zilla at PF I would have and then re-sold it for a profit......I don't even remember seeing it available.   If anyone wants to take out thier Zilla and install someone else's "fixes" HEY, let us all know...I'm sure there are people reading this who would rather have it.

Better yet, how about all of you who are opening up Zilla's to reverse engineer them selling it to someone who wants it instead of backstabbing the Zilla line.......Here's a question, Since Zilla is no longer available I assume the Zilla's you are opening up were in your car.  Why did you buy it in the first place?  If it was in your car why the hell take it out and take it apart?  You certaintly don't need another one.  It must be just to make a buck and to mess with someone else's work.   Free enterprise is great but if you want to make Fan Units do it on your own and don't piss on what has come before and that is in service in more cars than you know.

There is a difference between someone who really wants to make the best product and will warranty it for many years and the person who makes shit up just to rake in some $$$ and then either gets all offended and rude if you ask questions about why it doesn't work or they drop out of the DeLorean scene and leave a product that is questionable.....Stick with the guys who have been at this for 20+ years.   Rob, Don S. and Steve are the ones who know it better than everyone else.     Bob seems to have dropped out but he has left us a legacy of products that are obviously in demand and time-tested.  I also have no doubt that Bob's warranties on his products are still in full force!  You can be sure that is a Zilla fails....Bob or Rob would be all over it.   Let's not forget Toby Petersons products that have been on the D scene for a long time as well.   Great customer service.....pleasant, friendly with no attitude.

Take a good look at old DeLorean World Mags....see how many of the "vendors" in those mags are still around......Who do you wanna buy from???  I'll stick with the guys who have been here for decades and will be around for many years to come.    Some will take offense to this but I don't really care.  I've seen lots of you float in and out since I first bought a car back in 1986.

Guess this is my day to piss people off........Oh well.....Just getting sick and tired of fly by night shit hitting the scene with little or no long term testing.   I you are an inventor of stuff and think it will work....how about running it by the major vendors.  Get a non-disclosure agreement if you are worried about it being taken.....but you are better off getting thier endorsement and having it tested before dropping it on all of us.

 If I were anyone you who had some other unit fry or melt something I would sue as fast as you can.....Product liability... oh yeah...read the fine print on some of their stuff...."We are not responsible for damage to your car due to the fact that some cars are different"  Wow....that's comforting, Eh???

Tom Watkins

   Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 10:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Zilla

I remember I tried to buy a FanZilla Nov 2003.  Now
it's one week from Nov 2005, and they're still on
backorder.

The Zilla line from what I've heard is fantastic, but
it's kind of hard to buy a product if it's not
available.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:53:46 +0100
From: "Kevin Milliken" <kevin.milliken_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: RE: Minimum rotor thickness?

Hi Lingo

The size is 12.7mm it is printed on the edge and the workshop should see
this and
not machine them past thickness.

Regards

Kevin

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 16:04:36 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Zilla

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
The zilla discussion has just about run it's course.  I am
not seeing much new information in the most recent posts.
Unless something new comes up, please consider the thread
closed.

Mike G  Moderator of the week
*****

Shain,
As I said in an earlier post, The way mine works and how it works is an
analog unit. I don't need the more expensive electronics to do what I do
when your switching and handling the power. It's a very simple device that
splits the power between 2 relays to minimize the load and sends it to the
fans. I have never had an internal breakdown because Bosch relay's, made in
Germany as Mike pointed out I have to assume are good. Sealed nitrogen gas
relay's are great for some applications or if it's necessary for what you
are doing, I just don't have to do that. Now if were going to make the car a
submarine then I would re think it or if Jason's car had one on it and he
was going to rebuild it then I would just give him another one.
I could raise the price very easy if people are worried that cheaper is not
as good, but that's not the case if you understand what I'm doing.
I go by the KISS theory which a lot of people in engineering can't do that.
I know because I work with them for 25 years .
The picture you're looking at on the site was one of the first units I came
out with and even thought you see 1/4" quick disconnects, they are all
soldered. I have been involved in electronics to long to know that a quick
disconnect over time won't hold up to the power demands.
The Fan Fix current design and constructions have been reviewed and approved
by an EE that understands cars and works with all the Glass epoxy PC Boards
and 555 chips, multi layer boards and surface mounted components that some
people are impressed with. He even mentioned several things he could do to
have more perks and I'm not saying they are bad, but they cost more, more
assembly time and more to go wrong. Again, I just went by the KISS.
Maybe someday I'll make one that has more bells and whistles, but for now it
gets the job done and the price is right and my profit fare for the time
spent in building them. Then I give a life warranty. No big deal.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:44:48 -0400
From: Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_discordia.org>
Subject: Re: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.

I seem to remember at one point Bosch moving their fuel pump
production from Germany to Czechoslovakia and the reliability of the
pumps going downhill.

I know I had one fail on me after only a few weeks.

On Oct 25, 2005, at 3:16 PM, John Hervey wrote:

>> No, Bosch Made in Germany like I said is on every relay. If the
>> started
>> coming from China then I would worry.
>> John

[moderator snip]

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:24:21 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Won't start in the rain

There are 2 commom reasons this can happen. Check the connections on
the ballast resistors on the firewall on the left. It is the thingy
with 2 round white tubular things that the wires hook up to. These
connections can get wet and corrode so they have to be shiny and clean.
 The other common problem is old, worn, bad ignition wires. That
combined with worn spark plugs allows the spark to break down the
insulation of the ignition wires so the motor won't start in wet
conditions. Chances are the car just needs a good, general tune-up. If
you don't know when it was last done (maybe never?) it is time to do
it. There are other things that can also cause this but these 2 items
are a good place to start. When you order the plugs and wires maybe
you should also get the gas gauge fixed. It is almost always the
origional sender unit so replacing it should fix it right up. In the
meantime use the trip odometer, reset it after you fill up and refill
when it gets to 200 and you will always be safe.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "howardeskinjr" <howardeskinjr_at_dml_y...>

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:50:16 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Halloween Foolishness: Is your D haunted?

Bernie told me my D' may be haunted.  So I'll tell what happened.  Last
Thursday, the steering wheel lock on my DeLorean jammed up and I
couldn't unlock it with the key, wiggling the wheel or anything.  I had
to be taken home on a roll back.  The next night, I was very tired, but
I was determined to get my wheel unlocked.  I was sitting in the car in
my garage yanking on the wheel, pushing on it and wiggling it.  Nothing
worked.  I was so tired, I was ready to fall asleep in the car.  My
left hand slipped off the wheel and my head tilted back, but my right
hand was stil on the key.  I was giving up.  Next thing I remember, I
hear a click and a buzz (fuel pump).  I looked up and all me gauges
were on, the fuel pump was running and the wheel was unlocked.  Freaky?

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Have you had this problem when its not raining? Sounds
like a hot start issue (fuel accumulator)

Joey

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:49:50 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Sounds like damp connections on the ballast resistor and/or the coil.
I've solved many problems like this by re-crimping the connections on
both, and using eyelets on the coil. If it doesn't help, it certainly
doesn't cost much or take long to try  :-)

You may also want to check whether your relay is working at the
front/left of the engine bay. Its function is to provide a hotter spark
when cranking and if it's not working, this will cause hard starting
when damp.

I will say that these problems don't usually happen on a warm engine
though. It may be a breakdown in your HT leads or as you say, water in
the dizzy.

Martin

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:01:43 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Convex Mirrors

That was Tom N (I'll never get the spelling right) in Poland. His
website is www.deloreana.com but it appears to be offline at the
moment. I ordered a set and got them, no problem. Installation is some
work, they are more than just plug-and-play. I believe you can get the
instructions from his website as well (when it's up).

They are NOT convex mirrors like you normally see in the US, they are
euro-style mirrors that are only convex at the outer edge of both
mirrors. They take a bit of getting used to but work very well. I have
them on a non-DMC car as well that had them installed prior to
importation.

I've never heard of a cross-reference on the mirrors.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:32:45 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hello.

Probably cracked spark plug boots, cracked spark plug wire insulation,
or leaky distributor.  I'd suspect whichever is oldest first.

Rick Gendreau.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:05:11 -0500
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

Your welcome for the chuckle.  I was just lobbing a friendly slur at VB.
  He assures us that the video is safe for sensitive types like me.
Warren at DMC