Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2954
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:27 Oct 2005 16:44:31 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Irish DeLorean Owners website updated!
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

4. Exhaust manifold questions
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

5. Joe LoRe
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

7. RE: Re: Wheel options
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

8. RE: Wheel options
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

9. Re: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

11. Re: Exhaust manifold questions
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>

12. RE: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

13. RE: Minimum rotor thickness?
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

14. Re: Exhaust manifold questions
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

15. Owner's map update
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

16. RE: Exhaust manifold questions
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. Deloreans to Tour Winchester Mystery House
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

18. Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Misc questions
From: "o0shoryuken0o" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>

20. Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. RE: Exhaust manifold questions
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

22. Re: Owner's map update
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

23. Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

24. RE: Exhaust manifold questions
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

25. RE: Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:31:16 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tyres Tyres Tyres as they spell it

I like the Pilots also. Try not to over-inflate them.  Ride turns
hard pretty fast. Probably true across the board.

Marv
#10820

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> Michelin Pilots. I love mine.

tires

Goodrich

pick.  I

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:24:40 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Irish DeLorean Owners website updated!

Hi guys,

Just a quick post to let you know that our "DeLorean Owners of
Ireland" website has been updated.

http://www.delorean.ie

A piece on our commeration of John DeLorean at the Belfast factory
when he died has been added.

I've updated my progress on my frame off restoration of vin 3810.
See "technical section" for this restoration log.

A writeup on our annual get-together has been added - lots of pics!

A few more owners cars have been loaded into the owners gallery.

Hope you enjoy it! Much more coming in the next few weeks...

Regards,
John Dore, Ireland.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:40:50 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

The Michelin Pilot XGT's have been discontinued in the DeLorean sizes,
though you may still find some in the "system" of dealers.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

(SNIP)

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:34:18 -0500
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Exhaust manifold questions

The studs that are on the heads that hold the exhaust manifold to it
are all on my car except 1 has broken off.

My question is after i remove and replace the 1 stud cant i just clean
the threads on the old studs and leave them alone and reuse them?

Do i really need to install new studs?

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:30:05 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Joe LoRe

What ever happened to Joes 160K mile test car that was in the Gold
Portfolio? What happened to him? I was wondering if anyone knew what
all the added gauges were for that were located under the steering
wheel?

Josh

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:06:36 -0400
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Fast Cars and Beautiful Women

Warren,

I watched on my work computer and think it's ok.  The video shouldn't cause
a hard attack or anything.  :)

I am wondering though, is that really a twin-turbo engine?  It looks like a
single turbo set up to me, but I have little knowledge about this in the DMC
world.  Do you guys have any documents on this at DMCH?

James if you are reading this, is the plate on this car the rare one you
were telling me about?

Thanks,

Greg

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:24:04 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Wheel options

Rich, The CNC machine the company owns I'm told is primarily to trim off the
top layer of a wheel B4 they seal the aluminum. What I will be looking for
is another spare wheel so after we power coat it and all the curb marks and
breaks are cleaned up we will trim off a little of the high side so as to
give it a more modern look.
Any one has a old wheel I can buy or trade to experiment with.
Doesn't have to be good.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:31:25 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Wheel options

No, It's a local company that has been in the business for 15 years and then
started 7 years ago on his own.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:27:08 EDT
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Zilla...They're the best & You get what you pay for.

In a message dated 10/26/2005 2:04:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jason_at_dml_discordia.org writes:

>>  started
>> coming from China then I would worry.
>>  John

Well you better start to worry, Bosch is moving a facility to  China!
So is every USA company.

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:36:20 -0400
From: " Toscano" <toscano2_at_dml_ix.netcom.com>

Is this tape produced by Bob Guccione/Penthouse productions? I have a VHS video that matches this description exactly, but I haven't  watched it in about 15 years. It is definitely adult material, but not pornographic. I wish I could remember if there is a D in there!

I will see if I can locate and watch it soon.

FWIW I picked it up from a vendor at a car show in New York.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:26:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: stefan diklich <stefandmc_at_dml_yahoo.ca>
Subject: Re: Exhaust manifold questions

Mark

I recommend getting DMCH's manifold kit for both sides, the price has been lowered  to $99.00 and it is good, i used it on my car and it turned out great.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:52:20 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
Let's steer this back to the DeLorean, please...

Mike G  Moderator of the week
*****

Yes, I know and they will all the at the Apex show next week.
Everyone is doing business with China.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:29:34 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Minimum rotor thickness?

The rotor say's 11.7 on it is the min.

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 04:11:37 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If the threads clean up on the old studs they DO NOT have to be
removed. The problem usually is that the threads are corroded and when
you tighten up you might strip the threads off the studs. If you are
going to reuse the studs at least get some new nuts and use Never
Seize. "Best Practice" would be to remove the old studs. It isn't that
hard if you have access to an acetalyne torch. You heat the studs up
to cherry red, let them cool, reheat to straw and then remove. They
should come out without breaking but they may remove the threads from
the cylinder head. Just put thread inserts in. Be warned, new studs
are pricey!

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:09:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Owner's map update

We're at 120 owners on the map now, and it looks like we've covered all
but about 10 US states. We're also showing 2 Canadian provinces and 5
Euro countries. I know there are a few in Asia.......

They have updated the interface so it displays the photos much better. Also note the new URL (still linked from www.dmcnews.com too).

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:54:15 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Mark, You could. But in our shop we replace all the studs if were going to
do a exhaust gasket on one side.

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:10:25 -0700
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: Deloreans to Tour Winchester Mystery House

For anyone who will be in the San Jose area of Northern California, the
NCDMC will have our final tour of the year this coming Sunday. Here are
the details:

Oct. 30 - DeLorean Owners will tour the Winchester Mystery House in San
Jose

10:00 AM Brunch - 12:00 Noon Tour

We've made special arrangements with the Winchester Mystery House to
roam its haunted halls while our stainless beauties guard the entrance
in a spot set aside just for us. We'll get a discount entry price and a
private tour, just for our group.

We'll start by meeting for brunch at Flames Restaurant at 449 S.
Winchester. With only a theater parking lot between the House and the
restaurant, we'll place our cars at 'the House' and walk to breakfast.

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm-AT-csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:18:01 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

Ran the same check with my car running and the AC turned on max.
Same pressure.

Does anyone know if the AC R-12 Substitute Freeze 12 found on the
specialtauto.com site can be added to the regular freon that I
already have running through the lines? Chances are, I am not going
to get regular R-12 unless I take a treck down to Nogales.

If the substitute works, then I just may charge it up, and see how
we do...

Thanks
Sean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_j...> wrote:

>>   Here's a few bits of information that hopefully will help.
>> (disclaimer, this isn't how you're supposed to convert to 134)
>>   That said, it's exactly what I did to convert my D.  It has only
>> been a few months so I'm still waiting to see the long term

success.

>> Sometimes the hoses won't hold the 134, as the molecules are

actually

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:52:50 -0000
From: "o0shoryuken0o" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>
Subject: Misc questions

Hey everyone!

There are many things that I want to do on my DeLorean, but first and
foremost are 4 issues that need correction just so I can pass
inspection and get registration.  I've already had the car inspected
and now I have 1 month to fix the problems before a reinspection.

1.) Front brake rotors warped and warn heavily.  Pads have 9/32s left,
so I think they are okay.  I ordered 2 new front rotors from
specialtauto.com, but I'll probably have my mechanic do it and watch
him and learn (so I don't screw anything up).  My question here is
should I have bought new bearings also?  Are the bearings for
DeLoreans pretty commonplace; like if my mechanic finds that they are
damaged would he probably have compatible parts on hand?

2.) Passenger door when opened doesn't release both door lock
mechanisms simultaneously 100% of the time.  Just my luck that during
the inspection it didn't work, so it failed and I have fix this.  I
have read that you can remove the front locking mechanism but I would
rather just adjust it to release simultaneously.  My concern here is
that the clips that hold the trim onto the door seem to break easily?
 The driver side door trim is kinda screwed up; I'll want to fix that
at some point but in the process of fixing my passenger door I don't
want to damage trim removing it to get inside the door.  Can anyone
refer me to some good guide or some helpful tips?  I have PJ Grady's
shop manual but it isn't too detailed.

3.) High beams randomly will not come on.  Sometimes, flipping the
high beams will cause the low beams to cut out.  Again, my luck this
happened during inspection.  Sometimes they work just fine.  I checked
the fuse, and the relays... both relays click - even when the lights
don't come on.  So I guess it is a problem with the switch?  Should I
just dismantle the steering column housing and check the connections
etc?  Any tips?

4.) Back up lights.  When I go in reverse, apparently they don't light
up.  I think I found the spark-plug-like connection mounted to the
transmission that controls this, and its all corroded, the boot was
half off, etc.  A little tug and the whole wire fell off the
connection points.  I was just barely able to reach this without a
jack... my question here is can anyone give me some instructions for
how I can SAFELY jack up my D?  I have a single-car garage at my
apartment and I haven't bought any ramps, stands, or a floor jack yet
- I want to know how to go about doing this.

Thanks in advance for any direction you can provide!

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:26:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What is the current tire of choice by DMCH?  Or any
DeLorean vendors?

I am in the market for a new set..

Thanks

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:34:00 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I would definitely replace them. Who knows if you or perhaps a subsequent
owner will someday need to remove the manifolds again? It just makes sense
to replace these while the opportunity is presenting itself.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:18:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Owner's map update

I note a lot of names missing from the list..  It
would be good to get as many on their as possible.

A recent discussion among officers of the DMA club was
locations for future events that will attract more
people.  This map is useful in choosing locations for
events that will be central to more owners in the
Mid-Atlantic states.

I am sure event planners in other parts of the country
can use it as well.

It is a good idea to get yourself on there, and help
get events closer to home.

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:41:38 +0100
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Over here we have only one choice

Pirelli P600 235/60-15W Rear
Pirelli P6000 195/60-14H Front (unfortunately they stopped making V's
for the front)

Thankfully the ride, handling and speed performance are all excellent.
But they are expensive and the tread pattern doesn't match, but the
sidewalls do.

Martin
DMC Ltd

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:19:51 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

If you want to upgrade to the new Stainless Steel one piece gaskets for the
exhaust. I have in stock for both sides about $80.00. Second page of the
engine section.
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/engine-2.html

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:30:00 -0500
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Sean, Freeze 12 has been used in this part of the country for years. There
is another company making another sub I think called Red Top or Red
something. A NAPA store here caries it.