Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2956
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:28 Oct 2005 21:44:05 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: Owner's map update
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

3. RE: Cold running problem and battery
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

4. DeLorean at Munich Airport
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>

5. RE: Flex Wheel
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>

6. Re: Joe LoRe
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. RE: Minimum rotor thickness?
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

8. Re: Exhaust manifold questions
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

9. RE: Fans - the final word
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

10. Re: Cold running problem and battery
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Tires or Tyres if you prefer
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

12. Resonable Insurance Rates
From: "dkazmark" <dkazmark_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

14. Re: Wheel options
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Flex Wheel
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. Electrical diagnotic mystery ?
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Cold running problem and battery
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. RE: Cold running problem and battery
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

19. Re: Re: Misc questions
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

20. Re: Cold running problem and battery
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Re: Flex Wheel
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: Tires or Tyres if you prefer
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

23. Re: Resonable Insurance Rates
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

24. Re: Flex Wheel
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

25. Re: Tires or Tyres if you prefer
From: François Laplante <laplanca_at_dml_videotron.ca>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:00:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Owner's map update

so, add yourself!

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:06:51 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: Re: AC Question - 3 of them with a little surrounding information.

I've heard this before,
     I can't prove it, though.  I've had Freeze-12 in my system for
a few years now.  I know I have a slow leak, but I had it with R-12
so I know it isn't caused by the Freeze-12.  So far everything still
works just as it should.  I am, however, planning to totally go over
my A/C system this winter so I won't have anymore leaks.

Matt Olans
VIN 16816

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jason Ferrara <jason_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that there is an
>> issue with Freeze-12 and slow leaks.
>>
>> Freeze-12 is a blend of R-134a and R-142b. Its the R-142b that
>> carries the oil. If you have a slow leak, the two gasses will

leak

>> out at different rates, with the R-142b leaking out faster. You

can

>> end up with still enough refrigerant for the compressor to run,

but

>> that refrigerant will be mostly R-134a, and no longer capable of
>> carrying the oil used in R-12 systems. So the compressor will

destroy

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:00:13 -0700
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Cold running problem and battery

Its possible that you have a bad alternator/voltage regulator.  An under
volt condition would force the demise of the old battery, and could
affect the ignition...

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:55:21 -0000
From: "M. P. Olans" <mpolans_at_dml_creeper.com>
Subject: DeLorean at Munich Airport

At the Inter-Airport Munich GSE show earlier this month, AeroGSE
displayed a pallet loader.  Strapped to the bed was a DeLorean.  One
of my reps at Tug Technologies just sent me the picture.  Is the owner
of that car on here?

If so, please drop me a line.  Very nice display!

Matt Olans

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 18:41:32 -0400
From: "Cecil Longwisch" <dmc1982_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Flex Wheel

Please conatct me off list.
I may have NOS

dmc1982 (at) msn.com

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 23:13:45 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Joe LoRe

That is sad that he would do something like that to anyone and to the
DeLorean community. So what happened to his 160K mile test car? I
didn't see it in the link.

Josh

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:34:07 -0400
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Minimum rotor thickness?

Lingo,

I didn't see anyone correct this so let me add that the minimum is 11.7mm
Not 7.mm. That thickness is closer to a motorcycle rotor's but the pistons
would jamb in the calipers and lock up the brakes the first time you applied
them. Don't worry as I'm sure your rotors are not that thickness for the
above reason!

Rob Grady

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:46:00 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Tires or Tyres if you prefer

I am running Goodyear Eagle GT front and rear, they are about a year old. I know my local goodyear manager personally. I just walked in told him my sizes and he said the GT was made in both sizes. They were not expensive and they are quiet and reasonably sticky.

My last set of tires were the very pricey Yoko AVS. They were so sticky I think I think I could have climbed up a wall. Bad news is they only lasted about 12,000 miles not nearly worth the price.

Dan Haney

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:35:12 -0000
From: "dkazmark" <dkazmark_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Resonable Insurance Rates

Hey Guys,

Quick question for the group, I'm shopping now for a new D, had one
when i was 18 for a year but insurance killed me. Now I'm about to hit
25 and my company (Progressive Drive) qouted me as going from 120 a
month with just my wrangler to $380 with the Delorean! She didn't even
have it in the database. At that price I'm once again in the same jam,
I can afford the car but the insurance is unbelieveable. I love the
car but thats a signifigant amount of money and will prob sell jeep
and get on line for the new solstice . Any experience with insurance
companies that are more attractive?  I live on Long Island NY.

Thanks!
-Don Kazmark

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:40:40 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

John Hervey wrote:

>>Chris, I can't blame you for not wanting to use a sub, but don't cut it
>>short till you try it. Here is the link to the technical/section and FAQ
>>page. You can also check out the web site.
>>http://www.technicalchemical.com/tip-5.htm
>>John Hervey

Wasn't really my intention to badmouth the various subs, just warning
people to see what they're actually putting into their AC systems when
they look at the r12 substitutes, because, as i've said, i've seen at
least one that has been flammable, and I just don't think it's wise
putting flammable gas in the AC system. You have enough chances of fire
with some of the unmodded electrical systems as it is. I'm not going to
comment about the actual effectiveness of the various r12 subs out
because frankly, i've never actually used any of them myself, so i'm not
just going to guess about something I have no experience with.   The
rest of what I said about me using real r12 in my D when I get that far
was just a personal choice for me, since I have access to it, even if it
is expensive. I know it will work with no guesswork, and the  system was
designed to use it.

VIN# 03209

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 01:40:00 -0000
From: "spaceace3113" <spaceace3113_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wheel options

I also would love these rims...and would be willing to go for a pre
order...just like DMCH's headlight switches

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:34:22 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I might have one, but I have a question, What is a Flex Wheel? and
where does it go in an automatic transmission? A part # would help. Do
you mean the torque converter? And why does yours have to be replaced?

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:06:03 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Electrical diagnotic mystery ?

 Last night I was doing some electrical trouble shooting on a friends D trying figure out why
the heater fan wouldn't run. I eventually found 2 problems  The first was a poor connection
on the # 10 fuse which preveted power going the fan motor.  The 2nd was a bad ground
between the 3 way grounding tab and the motor case. Some paint needed to be removed for
metal to metal contact and a star washer was installed also.

Then there was the mystery voltage. At one point,  I removed both fan speed relays and
probed the sockets  with a 12V test light which was grounded at the battery. The enerizing
spade for each relay coil had a trace amount of current coming from them . It was just
enough to make the filiment in my test light glow a very dim orange. This is a mystery
Because from what I could see on the wire diagram, there should not be any voltage unless
the fan switch is positioned to make the curcuit operate. unfortuately I did not have a multi-
meter to read the voltage. But, it was very slight and was equal on both relay sockets which
make contact upstream at the fan switch. Is this normal or is something strange going on
here?

Dennis

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:53:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

MY guess is that with the weak battery and dirty/corroded connections
the ignition system was having a hard time living with less voltage
than it wanted. The new battery made the problem less noticable but I
believe it is still there. I would clean up all the "big" conections
between the battery and the frame and the starter. Also clean the
connections on the ballast resistor on the firewall. The problem was
less noticable with the old battery once the alternator put a little
cahrge back in after having to start the motor. I do not think it is
really related to the temperature of the motor, just the level of
charge in the battery. The battery is at it's lowest level of charge
immediatly after starting the motor, the alternator hasn't yet had the
time to recharge it so the voltage is at it's lowest point in the
charging cycle.

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:50:49 -0500
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

It is not strange for it to cause your problem. Since the battery was weak
you probably had low voltage going to the spark plugs. It would be as if
your plug wires were bad. A warm engine is more forgiving than a cold engine
which is probably why you only noticed this when cold.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:14:01 -0500
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Misc questions

What I've done when a press isn't available is to put the bearing in the
freezer for an hour and then warm, NOT OVERHEAT, the hub with a propane
torch and quickly install the frozen bearing. Sounds a bit hokey but it
works.

Bruce Benson

>> The bearings are sealed, so a good inspection will tell a >lot (sometimes

the bearings fall to pieces when the rotor >is removed).  Be prepared that
if you want to replace >the bearings, which isn't a bad idea) they will need
to be >pressed into the hub carrier.  There are several ways to >do this,
but removing the hub and taking to a press is >probably the easiest.

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 05:31:10 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I suppose it could have something to do with it .  But If the battery was strong enough to
turn the starter and start the car I don't think the voltage would have been low enough to
cause the backfiring. Usually that will happen when the battery is almost dead because the
Alternator crapped out while you were driving an extended period with out the Alt. and
draining the Battery becuase of all the required load draw.  In theory once the car is
running you should be runing off the Alternator. the battery is an excess current strorage
unit and electical buffer.

incidently my car has the similar Cold running issue and my battery is very a good 1 yr old
Optima.

Dennis

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:32:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Flex Wheel

I think he means "FlexPlate"

Part number 102065

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:25:29 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Tires or Tyres if you prefer

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Dan Haney <DRHANEY_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> I am running Goodyear Eagle GT front and rear, they are about a year

old. I know my local goodyear manager personally. I just walked in told
him my sizes and he said the GT was made in both sizes. They were not
expensive and they are quiet and reasonably sticky.

>> My last set of tires were the very pricey Yoko AVS. They were so

sticky I think I think I could have climbed up a wall. Bad news is they
only lasted about 12,000 miles not nearly worth the price.

>> Dan Haney
>> vin 3254

Yeah thats the whole tradeoff you face when selecting tired. The softer
the rubber, the greater the traction, but the less the durability.. While
hard rubbers give you much better durability, but not as much grip.

Chris
VIN#3209

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:35:33 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Resonable Insurance Rates

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dkazmark" <dkazmark_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> Quick question for the group, I'm shopping now for a new D, had one
>> when i was 18 for a year but insurance killed me. Now I'm about to hit
>> 25 and my company (Progressive Drive) qouted me as going from 120 a
>> month with just my wrangler to $380 with the Delorean! She didn't even
>> have it in the database. At that price I'm once again in the same jam,
>> I can afford the car but the insurance is unbelieveable. I love the
>> car but thats a signifigant amount of money and will prob sell jeep
>> and get on line for the new solstice . Any experience with insurance
>> companies that are more attractive?  I live on Long Island NY.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -Don Kazmark

When I get ready to deal with that issue i'm probably going to go with
Hagerty collector car insurance (www.hagerty.com). I got a quick quote
from them for $338 a year for an agreed car value of $20,000.  Only
downsides with this is you can't use it for a daily driver, though I never
planned to anyway.

Chris
VIN# 3209

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:39:10 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>
wrote:

>> I might have one, but I have a question, What is a Flex Wheel? and
>> where does it go in an automatic transmission? A part # would help. Do
>> you mean the torque converter? And why does yours have to be

replaced?

>> David Teitelbaum
>> vin 10757

He probably means the flex plate. The metal plate that bolts to the
crankshaft that has the starter teeth, and then the torque converter bolts to
it.. I imagine he needs one because his has developed cracks.. I've seen
this in alot of care of all kinds of makes and models.

Chris
VIN# 3209

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:19:20 -0400
From: François Laplante <laplanca_at_dml_videotron.ca>

I am also running Goodyear Eagle GT front and rear. They are on the car
since 1997 and have almost 40 000 kms (+/- 25 000 miles) and are not half
used yet... They are quiet and hold quite well on the road.

François Laplante