Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2959
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:30 Oct 2005 14:40:44 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Re: need wiring diagram (for power mirror switch)
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: need wiring diagram
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. RE: Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument cluster???
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: Resonable Insurance Rates
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

5. Re: Something is wrong
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

6. Important Update: LEDs for the Cigarette Lighter, Headlight and Hazard switches
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

7. Re: Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument cluster???
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Something is wrong
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

9. Re: Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument cluster???
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

10. Re: Something is wrong
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: DCS Magazine vol 2 issue 3
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. D frustration, was(Re: need wiring diagram (for power mirror switch))
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

13. Re: Resonable Insurance Rates
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

14. Re: Something is wrong
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

15. Re: Resonable Insurance Rates
From: "bm3daly71" <bm3daly71_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. "puddle" leak located just forward of my Delorean's right-rear tire
From: "bm3daly71" <bm3daly71_at_dml_yahoo.com>

17. Re: Re: Resonable Insurance Rates
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

18. Something is wrong
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

19. Re: Something is wrong
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument cluster???
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. RE: RESONABLE INSURANCE RATES
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

22. Re: Re: DCS Magazine vol 2 issue 3
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

23. Re: "puddle" leak located just forward of my Delorean's right-rear
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

24. Re: Something is wrong
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Resonable Insurance Rates
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:58:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: need wiring diagram (for power mirror switch)

Thank You, Great pic. Helps a lot. I have it back together and works fine now. Thanks again,   lacy

drdhdmd <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com> wrote:The link I had in my post about the photos of the Power Mirror Switch
doesn't work. This one seems to work for me.

http://tinyurl.com/866bz

D & 6530

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: Lacy <heylacy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: need wiring diagram

Thank you! Theres a lot of info on your  page that I  didn't know was even there. I would advise others to this fact as it may help them out too. Thanks again John,  lacy

John Hervey <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com> wrote:The wire connections are at the bottom of second page under reference
general.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/reference-materials-2.html

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:38:58 -0500
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument cluster???

Do you need to remove the cable itself, or the entire case and cable?
You can disconnect the upper cable from the lambda counter under the dash
and pull the cable itself right out...providing it's not broken of course.
If you need to remove the tube itself then you would need to remove the
binnacle
and cluster to get to the back.
I am not sure if you can actually reach the back of the cluster from under
the
dash, but you would need to be Stretch-Armstrong to do it.
- Videobob
VIN# 5278 Time Machine

>>From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>
>>To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
>>Subject: [DML] Removing the upper speedo cable from the instrument
>>cluster???
>>Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 04:04:06 -0000
>>
>>Anyone ever have this experience with a speedometer cable? Didn't
>>recieve any replies on the first post.
>>
>>-Joe

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:01:35 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Resonable Insurance Rates

At $40/month, do you have full coverage?  Or is it limited coverage
or limited miles?  That's a great rate if it's full coverage.

3

>> cars, and still pay less than 300/mo
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_b...>

which

>> seems reasonable to me for LI. I think Delorean originally
>> collaborated with Allstate in the 'safe car' aspects of the

design,

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:21:22 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: Something is wrong

Let's check some basics first.
  Put a voltmeter on the battery and try to crank the engine.  You've
said that your battery is ok but I like to double check.  Make sure
that you have at least 12v while trying to start, without the starter
engaging.  If the starter does engage the voltage shouldn't drop to
less than 9.5-10v.  A real quick check to see if it's a dead battery is
to turn on the headlights and then try to crank.  If the headlights go
out, you have a voltage supply problem, either the battery or a
connection.
  Since your battery is ok, this probably won't reveal anything.  Now
let's check the battery cables for a voltage drop.  Take your voltmeter
and fashion some long jumper leads out of wire.  Hook the positive lead
to the positive battery terminal and the negative lead to the main
battery cable connection on the starter.  (careful, it's 12v hot!) Try
to crank the engine while watching the voltage.  In your situation I'm
guessing that you will see no voltage difference.  What you want to see
while the starter is working correctly is <0.5v drop on the positive
side.
  Now we repeat with the negative side.  Connect the positive lead to
the case of the starter, and the negative lead to the negative battery
terminal and try to crank.  Again, you want to see <0.5v difference.
  Leave the negative lead on the battery and hook the positive to the
small activation wire on the starter, try to crank the engine.  You
should see battery voltage with the key in start.  If you do, and the
battery cables check out ok, you need a starter.  If you don't se
battery voltage there, you have a problem in the starter activation
circuit.  Unfortunately I don't have my manuals with me so I can't help
beyond this point right now.
Hope this helps,
Matt Smith

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:00:29 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Important Update: LEDs for the Cigarette Lighter, Headlight and Hazard switches

Here is an important update to the #73/74 LEDs for use in the
cigarette light, hazard and headlight switches.

After successfully getting the cigarette lighter LED to work and
realizing that problem with the 90 degree insertion cause a short
circuit, I proudly went on to the Headlight and Hazard bulbs.  I
carefully pulled out the old bulb with a hemostat and looked into the
socket.  Subconsciously, something about the contacts didn't look
right.  I inserted the LED and POOF! (Fortunately I had just
installed a fuse in series with the power wire going to the headlight
switch.  (That is the NU brown with blue stripe wire).  As I saw the
flash I instantly realized what the problem was.

The LEDs from superbrightleds.com have their contact wires folded
over the end of the bulb so they are exposed on both sides.  The
original bulb has only one contact on each side.  THUS WHEN USED IN
THE HEADLIGHT OR HAZARD SWITCH THE CAUSE A DIRECT SHORT!

They are easy to modify, by simply bending each contact wire of the
LED around, back onto the side it came from.

I have posted a picture of this in the photo section.

Even with this mode the contact was a bit loose.  I wonder if there
are #73/74 LEDs that are more like the original, that is they only
have one contact per side?

D & 6530

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:38:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Unfortunately no.  When I took mine off, it just
popped right off.  =(.  Have you tried penetrant
spray?

Jeremiah

--- Joe OBrien <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Anyone ever have this experience with a speedometer
>> cable? Didn't
>> recieve any replies on the first post.
>>
>> -Joe

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:12:35 -0700
From: Johnny Sawyer <johnny.sawyer_at_dml_gmail.com>

Check your grounds on the frame.
 Johnny
5518

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:12:33 -0500
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Mine slipped right out.  Doesn't work now, but had no problems removing it.
Sorry.

Lingo #2034

>> Anyone ever have this experience with a speedometer cable? Didn't
>> recieve any replies on the first post.
>>
>> -Joe

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:48:19 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

I have the same problem occasionally, check the RPM relay.  Clean all
of your ground points, and the starter leads.  And clean the RPM relay
contacts.  Something is loose in the starting circuit.  But the RPM
relay, which also handles the fuel pump, could be the problem.  If you
don't hear it running, you either hav a really quiet pump, or the relay
isn't working right.  Also check your fuses.

Bernie

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 20:59:30 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DCS Magazine vol 2 issue 3

Ken,

I can't find a link on your site to subscribe to the magazine.  I
find lots of links to buy previous issues.  Can you supply the link
for a subscirption.

Thanks,

Bernie
4045 and 6704

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Well this issue is about ready to roll.
>>
>> The proof was approved earlier today and we will print them and

bind them over the weekend so by next week Tues or Wed I will begin
mailing them out to you all (with subscriptions of course).

>> Since we had soo much stuff to put in about Pheasant Run, A

special article about Chicago complete with  DVD included, The
DeLorean Museum, The Prototpe car, Tech articles, The DeLorean
Transformer, Evansville show, the fall foliage tour and more.

>> We added 8 pages over the last issue so this is our biggest

magazine yet.

>> If you have not signed up for a subscription or are planning on

attending the show and want more information go to

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 21:14:24 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: D frustration, was(Re: need wiring diagram (for power mirror switch))

Only a 12 guage?  I would think a 357 magnum or 44 magnum would do
the job better, but your aim needs to a lot better.  I can't get to
the pictures, but I am still laughing about shooting up parts.

Finally some humor here.  It's been getting way to serious lately.
And I know that this will probably not be posted.

But the D can frustrate you to no end.

Bernie

>> Dave, Down here we put them on a fence post, take 30" back and

fire a 12 ga

>> shotgun and hope you don't miss.
>> That will fix it.
>> John

[moderator snip]

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:44:39 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 10/28/05, tom kasmer <tkasmer_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I had Progressive. Their rates are 3 times Geico. I
>> now have Geico

Geico insures your DeLorean?

--
- Ryan

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:52:40 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

hi

are you sure the starter is getting no power?

it may be jammed, try a test light on the starter leads and try to
start.

if jammed put into second gear and rock. but change asap.

obviously check starter circuit, fuse, relay, breaker?.

are you sure battery is at 100%, even if just been charged may not
push out much ampage if old.
try a jump start

early vins had a weaker start system but i think was sorted in the
later cars.

regards

my guess is a jammed starter

Steve

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:56:34 -0000
From: "bm3daly71" <bm3daly71_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Insurance wise.. through Geico, mine runs about $40/month. I have

3

>> cars, and still pay less than 300/mo
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Cameron, Peter" <cameron_at_dml_b...>

which

>> seems reasonable to me for LI. I think Delorean originally
>> collaborated with Allstate in the 'safe car' aspects of the

design,

>> don't know if that part of the history results in more favorable
>> rates from Allstate. Probably not.

>> [moderator snip]
>>I've heard the cheapest classic car insurance is through Hagerty.

I think its less than $150.00/year to insure the Delorean

Greg

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:54:33 -0000
From: "bm3daly71" <bm3daly71_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: "puddle" leak located just forward of my Delorean's right-rear tire

My Delorean has been lying stationary facing forward on a downward
incline.  I've notice recently a "puddle" leak located underneath the
car just adjacent to and forward of the right rear tire.  Does anyone
know if this is a radiator, coolant, oil or transmission leak?
Regards,
Greg

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 15:48:00 -0700
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Resonable Insurance Rates

On 10/28/05, Bernie <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net> wrote:

>> Unfortuanlty if you haven't had your drivers license for more then
>> 10 years, the collecctors insurance companies may have a problem.
>> And I agree move out of NY (or register out of state), the insurance
>> rates (and pretty much everything else) in NY are outrageous.  I
>> went to college there and my car insurance for 1 car was over $900 a
>> year, back in 1981 and that was for a POS Mustang II.

That sounds about right for a college student in any part of the
country. I paid about the same for basic coverage on a used, $3000
car, when I was in my early twenties.

--
- Ryan

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:26:58 EDT
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Something is wrong

You are correct, something is wrong!  You need to use a voltmeter or  test
light along with the schematic of the car to find out where that something  is.

How do you know your battery is 100%?  What about the battery  connections,
starter solenoid, and automatic tranny / starter inhibit relay if  it's an
automatic.

Dave Delman
aka D & 6530

Message: 20
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:05:23 -0000
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>

For some  reason, my car will not turn over. I turn the key to the
"start" position  and some of the lights on the contol panel go out,
and something in the  fuse box area makes a clicking noise... The
starter is getting 0 power, so  nothing else is happening except the
Idle Speed Controller comes  on.   My battery is at 100% so I know that
isnt the problem. Any  ideas?

Thank you,

Freddie Wise (vin  16569)

Thank  you,

Dave

"Just Say  NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"

To see how go to _www.tvpedaler.com_ (http://www.tvpedaler.com/)

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:11:31 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sounds like your starter needs replacing.  The starter soleniod is usually the problem. One
day it works fine and the next time you go to start the car and nothing happens. The
contacts inside the soleniod aren't making contact. This happens when one of the terminal
studs doesn't make solid contact with the internal plunger. It causes the terminal stud to
get hot and usually melts into the plastic cap which pulls away from the contactor bar
inside. You can do a quick test  with a jumper cable and attach one end to the positive
jumpstart connection and the other end to the righthand starter soleniod terminal. It is
the one with the wire that goes into the motor housing. Just touch it. It should spin the
sarter motor but will not spin the engine,because the soleniod is not energized.

The clicking you hear in the relay compartment is the start inhibit relay this sends power
via the small white/red wire to the soleniod. their is an inline connection at the soleniod.
you can verifiy power to the soleniod at that connection with a 12 V testlight.  You will
need a helper to turn he ignition key to the start position momentarily. If that is good, it's
your starter.  Time to call your favorite vender.

Dennis

Btw: the bad soleniod senerio has happened to me and a friend of mine.

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 04:05:36 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I have the actual instrument cluster in my hands with the cable, and
hosing hanging from it.

The cable housing slides right off, and I am left with the inner
cable, which on the squared end is still inside the back of the
speedometer.

Just figured it would pop right out, tried lubricating spray, but it
is just stuck in there, don't see anything holding it though.

Just weird.

-Joe O'Brien

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:55:15 -0400
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

Don,

Check with Aon Collector car insurance (http://www.aoncollectorcar.com/).
They have the lowest rates for collector car insurance I've seen.  I think
the last time I checked it was $120/yr for full coverage with a stated value
of $20,000.  They also have less restrictions on their policies, no mileage
restrictions, although they state you cannot use it as a daily driver car.
You will also need to own another car to prove you won't be using the
Delorean on a daily basis.  I would have used them although I didn't have
another car at the time, so I did not qualify.  Whatever you decide to do I
would suggest going with someone that can do an agreed or stated value.  I
imagine that if you got into a situation where the car was totaled, your
regular insurance might just look at it as another 25 year old car and give
you next to nothing.  Another suggestion if you decide to go with "regular"
insurance and you don't drive the car year-round would be to limit the
coverage to fire and theft during storage, which is really all you need if
the car won't be moving.  This is what I've done and the rates are almost
nothing, liability and collision are the killers.  You should also know that
depending on what state you live in they may require you to carry liability
when the car is registered even though you won't be driving it, in this case
you should be able to call the motor vehicle department and tell them that
the car will be in long-term storage and they can suspend the registration.
This has worked out well for me, given that I really only drive the Delorean
in the summer.

Good Luck,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:23:10 EDT
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: DCS Magazine vol 2 issue 3

_http://www.xybiz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=X03&Catego
ry_Code=MAGS_
(http://www.xybiz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=X03&Category_Code=MAGS)

try your refresh key
I think you may just have an old image there

you can get there by going to
_www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)
click on magazine and that will take you there
but every so often you need to refresh or have your machine automatically  do
it
or you will just get the old images

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:31:08 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: "puddle" leak located just forward of my Delorean's right-rear

bm3daly71 wrote:

>>My Delorean has been lying stationary facing forward on a downward
>>incline.  I've notice recently a "puddle" leak located underneath the
>>car just adjacent to and forward of the right rear tire.  Does anyone
>>know if this is a radiator, coolant, oil or transmission leak?
>>Regards,
>>Greg
>>VIN 1632

Can you give us more details? What is it leaking? Coolant or some kind
of oil?  Right now i'd have to guess one of your coolant hoses under the
car is leaking, but without knowing what kind of fluid its leaking, it's
hard to suggest much.

VIN# 03209

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:15:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Freddie,

Josh's car did exactly the same thing.  Check the
negative lead to ground from the battery and then
check the battery positve lead to the starter.  He had
corrosion at both points, so bad, we had to replace
both cables.

Mike

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 01:34:08 -0500
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

bm3daly71 wrote:

>>I've heard the cheapest classic car insurance is through Hagerty.
>>

>>I think its less than $150.00/year to insure the Delorean
>>
>>Greg
>>VIN 1632

Depends on who you are. your location, age, and what agreed value your
insuring for.  I know the online quote I got from them was $338 a year.
That for a 'modified' car with an agreed value of $20,000.