Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2961
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:31 Oct 2005 18:48:57 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

From: "tkasmer" <tkasmer_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. Start Issues / Flooding?
From: "nedferbel" <washingtonisland_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Something is wrong
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

14. Re: Something is wrong
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Something is wrong
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: John Z DeLorean and the Hydristor
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

17. Re: Start Issues / Flooding?
From: "Manny Sajiun" <mannyone_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. Re: dash cover
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: dash cover
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net

20. DeLorean died and will not restart
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Start Issues / Flooding?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. DMA Holiday Party 2005 - Philadelphia PA
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

23. Delorean on Ebay
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

24. Transmission Lip Seals
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

25. Attn John Hervey
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 08:54:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: dash cover

Hi all, I am starting to get a crack in my dash coming
off the corner of the glovebox. My question is where
can I buy a decent fitting black dash cover? Alos best
place to get a new set of logo floormats? Thanks

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:00:44 +0000 GMT
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: Re: Resonable Insurance Rates

Mine is $200 something for a year with Hagerty.  I just added the second D and it was comparable.  I use $25000 for my agreed value but might bump them up soon.
Jack Stiefel
DMC Vin 03461 & 16879
www.fmtimemachine.com

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:02:07 -0000
From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>
Subject: Used parts for sale

Used parts for sale, in good working condition:

* 90 amp. Motorola Alternator
* '82 muffler w/angle exhaust tips (bought new in 2001)
* All fuel lines w/banjo connectors (going to the fuel distributor)
* Tail-light harness
* Engine harness
* Front light harness
* Exhaust manifolds (2)
* Spark plug leads (Bougicord)
* Injectors

and more as they come along...

Make an offer...I'm cleaning out my garage for the winter...
The restoration moves slowly forward  :)

Best wishes
Stian Birkeland
Norway

VIN # 06759

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:46:08 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Something is wrong

Go here for a test jumper;

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/images/rpm-relay-jumper.jpg

You really should explore Johns' site. There are all kinds of helpful things there.

stainless_dreams <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:
I have a feeling it might be the RPM relay as you said... because the
car was turning over before it went dead, it just wouldnt start. The
pump seems to be in good condition but i have not checked it to make
sure yet. How cand I check the relay to make sure?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" wrote:

>> I have the same problem occasionally, check the RPM relay. Clean all
>> of your ground points, and the starter leads. And clean the RPM relay
>> contacts. Something is loose in the starting circuit. But the RPM
>> relay, which also handles the fuel pump, could be the problem. If you
>> don't hear it running, you either hav a really quiet pump, or the relay
>> isn't working right. Also check your fuses.
>>
>> Bernie
>>
>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "stainless_dreams" wrote:

[moderator snip]

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 20:45:14 -0000
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean for sale in Hamden CT

List,

My offer to check out this DeLorean is still open (no takers as of yet). For anyone who may be
thinking about it, I'll need to know soon (preferably by Wednesday, Nov 2) so I'll be able to
plan accordingly. I'll be IN Hamden next weekend (Nov 4-6) so it'll be a perfect opportunity.

Again, my email is f14dflyerATcomcast.net

-Dave Jong

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:27:46 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Something is wrong

A picture of the RPM relay connections and a typical jumper are in the  photo
section.

D² & 6530

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:49:49 -0000
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>

I have a  feeling it might be the RPM relay as you said... because the
car was  turning over before it went dead, it just wouldnt start. The
pump seems to  be in good condition but i have not checked it to make
sure yet. How cand I  check the relay to make sure?

Thank  you,

Dave

"Just Say  NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"®

To see how go to _www.tvpedaler.com_ (http://www.tvpedaler.com/)

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:13:43 -0000
From: "tkasmer" <tkasmer_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: John Z DeLorean and the Hydristor

*****  Moderator's Note  *****
With the Tilly experience fresh in our minds, please keep
the discussion of this focused on the car.  We will not
debate whether or not this invention can even work or if
the horsepower, acceleration, or fuel mileage claims
are valid.  If any of our members who have contact with
some of the people mentioned below can verify (or deny)
Mr. Kasmer's claims are pertinent to the discussion.

Any questions about the specifics of the invention are to
be sent directly to Mr. Kasmer.

Mike G  Moderator of the week
*****

   My name is Thomas E. Kasmer and I am an inventor. You can review
my work by going to Google and typing in the word 'Hydristor'.

   Around the end of 2003, I received a call from John who was
enquiring about several of my patents. I had never spoken to John
prior to this. He was the most knowledgable engineer I had ever
spoken to in my entire career. We had a number of subsequent
conversations about the use of the Hydristor in his new car design
and I asked him to send me a short note on his opinion of my
invention.

I don't know how to include his response here and perhaps the
webmaster will contact me with a means to do that.

   John agreed to be my 'behind the scenes' advisor in my dealings
with the auto industry. As a friend of mine said, John ran General
Motors at one time. My friend, Jerry Williamson, worked for John at
one time so he was very familiar with John's capability.

   In March of 2005, I was invited by Alan Hitchcox, executive editor
of Hydraulics and Pneumatics magazine to come to Las Vegas with my
John Deere differential hydrostatic lawn tractor and put it on
display  as the guest of the magazine. I had several conversations
with John as  I drove cross-country, talking on my cell phone with a
headset. I also got the interest of Tom Torbjornsen of America'a Car
Show headquartered in Jamestown, New York and I mentioned John's
mentoring of my efforts. Tom wanted to speak with John to verify my
claims for the Hydristor and I called John with that request. John
called Tom and they had a lengthy conversation about the Hydristor.
This is mentioned by Torbjornsen on the Car Show interview posted on
my website

http:/www.hydristor.com.

Subsequently, I was aware of John's passing as I
was driving the last few miles to Las Vegas for the IFPE show. It was
a very sad time for me as I had become accustomed to John's very wise
counsel.

   All that said, I am planning to do something that will make
available to DMC-12 owners a version of Hydristor torque converter
that I am building for the Ford Expedition. This will be a smaller
size Hydristor converter dedicated to fit the existing bellhousing
space of the PRV-V6 drivetrain. The transmission can be retained 'as
is' for manual shift cars and in the case of automatics, the
transmission  will be emptied of most parts and simply hold up the
engine. The  Hydristor can be optionally used for hydraulic braking
energy storage  to virtually eliminate the use of the friction
brakes. The in-town  mileage will approach highway mileage and the
engine will be slowed to  around 1,000 Rpm at highway speed,
doubling or more the gas mileage.  Also, the Hydristor technology
enables the full power of the engine to  be utilized, and 5 second
runs to 60 will be possible with no engine  modifications. If the
optional hydraulic braking is installed, the  energy of forward
motion will be saved in hydraulic pressure tanks and  the car will
accelerate near '1g', reaching 60 in 3 seconds flat. I am
doing this as an individual and I am working on some possible
financing to cut the first prototype. John believed in this
technology  and wanted to use it in the new car he was designing.
That new car may still come to pass; we'll see. But I believe John
would approve of an  upgrade in the DMC-12 and I give my phone
number should anyone wish to call me. 607-7631607 (US-EST).

   I have been trying to interest the auto companies in this
technology and nobody wants to listen. Maybe a DMC-12 going 0-60 in
3 seconds and getting 100 Mpg will get the public's attention. And
wouldn't that be something John would approve of. I posted a memorial
comment on my website in regard to John's passing. I have not said
anything out of respect for his memory and his family. He urged me
on  many occasions to press ahead and I am now going to do that.

   Thomas E. Kasmer

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:11:56 -0000
From: "stainless_dreams" <fwise3_at_dml_delorean.com>

Okay, I jumped the relay, and still nothing happened. I also checked
to see if my starter is getting voltage, and it is... and plenty. I
even directly connected the battery to the starter with no luck. I'm
thinking that it might be the starter, would my assuption be correct,
or is there something else I should look for?

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 23:55:20 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Cold Start Problem Solved

I had a cold start problem where it took about 4 or 5 cranks to get
the car started and once started, it wasn't always smooth. A fellow
Delorean owner unplugged the electrical plug going to the cold start
valve and noticed that one of the wires going into the plug did not
extend all the way so that one of the prongs on the plug couldn't make
contact. I pushed the wire further into the switch and plugged it back
into the valve. Now the car starts on the first try. If you're having
a cold start problem, be sure to check the wires at the cold start
valve to make sure they're making a connection and that there is
current going through it.

Shannon Birdwell
VIN 16113
"Gullfriend"

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 14:38:05 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

To see if the fuel pump is really working, you need a multimeter. Hook it
up to the wire harness at the fuel pump. If you get voltage while cranking,
then the electronics are fine. If you aren't getting voltage (or low
voltage), try grounding the meter at a good ground point. If you now get
full voltage, it means your inertia switch is defective. If you still don't
get full voltage, then you have a problem somewhere on the positive side of
the circuit. Check the #7 fuse and look for any melted wiring.

A lot of people overlook the inertia switch when troubleshooting this type
of problem. The pre-recall switches are defective and will stop your fuel
pump (which has happened to me).

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 01:55:35 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Sounds like the starter has a problem.  Have you performed the
diagnostic procedures posted earlier about testing the starter solenoid?

Bernie

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 00:10:53 -0000
From: "nedferbel" <washingtonisland_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Start Issues / Flooding?

Hi,

I have had my DeLorean since 1998 and have never had a cold or hot
starting issue in the past. Lately it has sat idle longer than usual
due to being out of town for several months over the summer. When
starting it, it wants to turns over for a few seconds, then die. If I
crank too much, the smell of fuel is evident, so I don't think there
is a fuel pump issue (or at least fuel is getting to the engine). When
this happens, I can let it sit a minute, try again, then it turns over
a little but will not stay running.
Now, here's the interesting part. Whenever I remove fuse #7 from the
fuse box (fuel pump, lambda sensor, etc.) the car will run longer
until it runs out of the fuel that was originally pumped before the
fuse was removed.
It seems as if the car is getting too much fuel and unable to burn it
as fast as the fuel pump is delivering it, thus flooding it to a stop
each time. It seems the plugs are fine since it does run on it's
minimum dose of fuel.
Does the Lambda have anything to do with this, or Fuel Pressure
Regulator? An overactive fuel pump would just mean there will be more
excess fuel returning to the tank right?
I appreciate in advance any assistance. Thanks.

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:07:11 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

Hi

as i said before, pretty much the starter has jammed. Replace asap,
but to get you started, put into 2nd and rock the car.

used to work on my MK2 ford escort (UK), the bendix gear mechanism
on the stater used to stick.

Regards

Steve

wrote:

>> Okay, I jumped the relay, and still nothing happened. I also

checked

>> to see if my starter is getting voltage, and it is... and plenty. I
>> even directly connected the battery to the starter with no luck.

I'm

>> thinking that it might be the starter, would my assuption be

correct,

>> or is there something else I should look for?

in

>> the  photo

oded+RPM+Relay+&+Jumper.jpg&.src=gr&.view=t&.hires=t)

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 02:19:28 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Freddie,

What do you mean by" I even directly connected the battery to the starter with no luck"? Do
you mean the starter did not turn the engine over or that the engine would crank but not
start.

Did you read my earlier post about the starter soleniod.

Dennis

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 03:25:37 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Freddie,

You could have two problems.  You said the engine would turn over but not start and now I
gather it won't turn over period. If you had been excessively cranking the engine with the
starter. this could have caused damaged to the starter by over heating the electrical contacts
in the soleniod. BTW the RPM relay has nothing to do with starter motor circuit. It does
however make the fuel pump run. If you did the jumper wire test at the relay plug this would
have only made the fuel pump run. Your starter is an independent circuit. If your fuel pump
runs and the engine cranks over and it still refuses to start you need to look at other things
like Ignition and cold start circuits.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:44:25 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: John Z DeLorean and the Hydristor

I'm not going to quote the original post because it was long, but here's
my thoughts.
This looks basicly to be just a hydrostatic transmission for your car.
Kind of a neat idea but nothing special really. And i'd have to *see* a
stock PRV equipped D do 0-60 in under 5 seconds to believe it, as well
as see it go 1300 miles on a tank.. I've delt with hydraulics a little
in my life. The pump and motor system won't be any more efficient that
the 5 speed, plus the 'storage resorvoirs' the guy mentions will most
likly eat up most of what little usable storage space the delorean has.
Not really an ideal proposition as far as i'm concerned.. There's also
another aspect.. Maintaince. any hydraulic system is going to take
frequent maintaince to continue working smoothly. *wierd* hydraulic
systems require even more.. and i'd definatly group this in the *wierd*
catagory.

So in my personal opinion, here's how I view a hydrostatic driven D.
1) No real gain in efficiency. You've still got physics to contend with.
You won't get more energy out of a system than you put in. Plus with
hydraulics you lose alot more energy as heat than you would in a manual
transmission.  At best you'll match the efficiency of the 5 speed, at
worst you'll get 5 mpg and have a top speed of 20 mph..
2) The sytem will take up even more real estate in an allready cramped
for space car.
3) 5 times the maintanance for no gain. As I said before. You'll at best
match the 5 speed, and gears are alot less maintance and more robust
than any hydraulics.. not to mention cheaper.

I could go on but this is allready long enough. Not to mention it just is *barely* on the topic of the D.

And after the Tilly debacle, and this may sound harsh.. but the guy should put up or shut up. After all the best way to make people listen is to prove your right. If you can't prove it, you likly weren't right to begin with.

VIN# 03209

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 05:22:16 -0000
From: "Manny Sajiun" <mannyone_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Start Issues / Flooding?

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "nedferbel" <washingtonisland_at_dml_h...>
wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have had my DeLorean since 1998 and have never had a cold or hot
>> starting issue in the past. Lately it has sat idle longer than usual
>> due to being out of town for several months over the summer. When
>> starting it, it wants to turns over for a few seconds, then die. If

>> crank too much, the smell of fuel is evident, so I don't think there
>> is a fuel pump issue (or at least fuel is getting to the engine).

When

>> this happens, I can let it sit a minute, try again, then it turns

over

>> a little but will not stay running.
>> Now, here's the interesting part. Whenever I remove fuse #7 from the
>> fuse box (fuel pump, lambda sensor, etc.) the car will run longer
>> until it runs out of the fuel that was originally pumped before the
>> fuse was removed.
>> It seems as if the car is getting too much fuel and unable to burn

it

>> as fast as the fuel pump is delivering it, thus flooding it to a

stop

>> each time. It seems the plugs are fine since it does run on it's
>> minimum dose of fuel.

The plunger in your fuel distributor is stuck
take out the 3 screws on top of the FD and lift it up and pull out
the plunger dip it in acetone & clean it thorougly and when you put
it back it has to gravity drop out by itself
but remember this is an extremely accurate and precision fit,one
little acratch can ruin it.there's a small o ring under the FD,
best to put a new one in there when reassembling.

Manny Sajiun

Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:34:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Jeremiah Montee <angelito03299_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: dash cover

http://www.dashmats4less.com/index.htm?dashmats.html

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:30:37 +0000
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net

I would be interested in buying three (3).  I wonder if they would give us a discount if we buy in bulk.  Brian, if you contact them and they offer a bulk discount, count me in for 3.  Anyone else interested.

Jason

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:08:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: DeLorean died and will not restart

Hello all,

My delorean died last night while I was driving it and
I could not get it re started.. the engine cranked and
cranked but no start... The engine had been running
for less than 5 minutes.   I am thinking the problem
is fuel related and not ignition related because I
would think if the fuel side of the engine was
working, wouldn't I smell gas??  I did not smell any
gas regardless of how much I cranked the motor.. also
I checked the #7 fuse for the fuel pump and it was ok.
 What next do you recommend I do?  check the RPM relay
and inertia switch??  IF anyone knows a possible
solution to my problem please let me know.

thanks in advance

-Chris

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:47:23 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

It may seem counter-intuitive but from the symptom (neglecting the
fuel smell) I would check out the RPM relay. If it is bad it would
cause this symptom. The fuel pump would run for a moment, stop and the
engine would stop soon after cranking and starting. The other
possability is the relay and the connections by the ballast resistor.
If jumping out the RPM relay doesn't keep you running then you have to
see why the ignition is quitting.

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:50:38 -0500
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: DMA Holiday Party 2005 - Philadelphia PA

The DMA Winter Holiday Party for club members is on Dec. 10th at Dave &
Buster’s Grand Sports Café in the Franklin Mills Mall in Philadelphia, PA.
The mall is just off Rt.95 on Woodhaven Road. If you take the Woodhaven Road
exit, it will take you directly to Franklin Mills Circle where the mall is
located. The mall is HUGE so just drive around it until you see the
McDonald’s and then enter the mall parking lot. Dave & Buster’s will be
visible from there. Party will be in a private room and it starts at 5pm and
dinner starts at 6pm. There will be a main course buffet called “The Italian
Feast”. It will consist of Italian rosemary roasted chicken, House or Caesar
salad, Linguini Alfredo and cavatappi pasta with marinara, four cheese pizza
bites with basil pesto, Garden vegetable medley, and fresh baked rolls with
butter. Desert will also be served. There will be a choice of Chocolate nut
brownies, freshly baked cookies, strawberries, or a warm fruit cobbler with
fresh whipped cream. Soda, coffee, tea, lemonade, etc., are unlimited.
Drinks containing alcohol are not covered by the club. The price for this
event is $30 per person. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at
events_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com
<BLOCKED::mailto:events_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com> , or you can call D & B’s
at 215.632.5770.

Dave & Buster’s has a ton of things to do. There are several bars to plop
yourself down and drink and watch TV. There are a bunch of pool tables, a
huge amount of video games, and there’s even a bowling alley! Some members
would like to have a bowling competition, so if you bowl, don’t be afraid…
bring your balls!  :-)

If you’re coming from far away and would like to spend the night, call the
Hampton Inn at 800-HAMPTON or 215-245-5222 and ask for reservations. Say
you’re a member of the DeLorean Mid-Atlantic Club and you’ll receive a room
at the special rate of $89/night! You MUST register by Nov.25th to get this
rate. The room price is $109/night after Nov.25th. So register now! There
are only 15 rooms reserved!

For all of you holiday shoppers, you might want to get to the mall a few
hours early. Franklin Mills mall consists of all outlet stores so you’ll get
nice stuff at great prices! Be ready to walk though… the mall is one level
and is about a mile long. I told you it was huge!  :-)

 See you then!!!

 ---Dan
DMA Activities Director

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:02:00 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: Delorean on Ebay

#06524 is up for auction this morning.  It's listed as having ABS, Power
Seats, Dual airbags and Cruise Control...

Anyone know this car?

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:03:58 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Transmission Lip Seals

Hi All

Does anyone have any experiences to share in replacing these seals,
i am mid way on doing my CV joints and thought now was a good time
to get rid of my weeping from one of these seals these are the ones
for the rear wheels on the transmission case listed as

103013 lip seal O ring
and 103044 Lip seal

In particular what have you used to remove the big 'nut' without
purchasing the tool that is listed in the manual and also removing /
refitting these seals.

Kind regards

Mike
#2001 /403

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:14:57 +0000 (GMT)
From: Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Attn John Hervey

Hi
I placed an order on your website, but when I went to enter credit card details, the website returned me to the main page. Just wondering if the order went through? It was for a blower motor and the improved lower engine cover stay

Thanks
Thomas McAuley
Vin #4087
Belfast