Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2963
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:2 Nov 2005 03:08:39 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: DeLorean died and will not restart
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. RE: Re: Start Issues / Flooding?
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

3. Vanity Plates & Cave Paintings Updated!
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

4. Fuel Sender or the Gauge?
From: "Steelwings" <steelwings_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: DeLorean died and will not restart
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Delorean on Ebay
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Delorean on Ebay
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

8. Re: DeLorean died and will not restart
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

9. Re: Start Issues / Flooding?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

10. Re: Start Issues / Flooding?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. #4004 on ebay
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

12. Re: DeLorean died and will not restart
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: Attn John Hervey
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Wrecked DeLorean on I-95 in Connecticut
From: Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com

15. Fuse Question
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Fuse Question
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:19:23 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean died and will not restart

Martin,

Yesterday I met a DeLorean Owner (before my DMC broke
down) about a mile from wherre my car broke down.  His
car yesterday exhibited the same symptoms as mine as
he couldn't get it started no matter how much he
cranked the cold engine.  Talk about coincidence...
about fuel pumps jamming, what causes it Debris in the
tank??   I just had my tank cleaned by Don at DeLorean
in CA a year ago and all hoses and the fuel pump were
replacced with bbrand new parts

-Chris & 6453

p.s. I'll check the car first thing tomorrow

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:23:58 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Start Issues / Flooding?

Ok I have the same issue here and this afternoon removed the distributor and
my plunger was indeed stuck.  I took it out and blasted it with air and it
came out with some help.  The acetone cleaned it right up and it slid back
in place.  I then tried to start the car, and while it is still not starting
up right, it trying harder then before.

I am going to pull the plugs next to see if they are original and if they
might be fouled.

My pump is running correctly, but I still wonder, could a bad accumulator or
fuel filter cause this?  I know that's usually a symptom of a hot start, but
if the accumulator is badly plugged or gummed up could it cause this lack of
fuel?

This is on my new '83.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com
Come hang out in The DMC Lounge --
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMCLounge/

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 03:01:52 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Vanity Plates & Cave Paintings Updated!

http://www.dmcnews.com/vanity.html

http://www.dmcnews.com/cavepaintings.html

I got behind - this is about a year's worth.

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:25:31 -0500
From: "Steelwings" <steelwings_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Fuel Sender or the Gauge?

I'm having a problem with either my fuel sender or the gauge. I was hoping someone on the list might give me the benefit of their experience with this as I can find almost nothing in the archives. Here's what is happening: I have a stock, 1981 original gauge and sender. My tank is about half-full. The fuel gauge is indicating an "above full" reading with the low fuel warning light dimly lit. (The needle is at the 12:00 o'clock position) If I remove the sender and allow the float inside to fall to the bottom of the tube, the needle will drop to the "empty" mark and the fuel warning light will illuminate normally. If I manually bring the float up approximately 1/4 of its total travel up from bottom, the gauge will read "Full" and any linear increment below that point will deflect the needle accordingly.(for instance: 1/8 of the total travel from the bottom reads "half-full") I have removed the sender and examined it visually both inside and out. It appears to be in almost new condition. No visible damage, no varnish or discoloration of the plastic or metal components. The float and wipers travel freely along the "rheostat" winding. The windings appear to be evenly spaced and undamaged. I placed a VOM across the wiper lead and winding lead. At the bottom float position, it reads about 20ohms. At the top float position, it reads about 100ohms. Sliding the wiper along the winding , the readings are linear. Then, in circuit, I took a voltage reading across the leads. Black (ground) to Red (Power) was approximately 12.5VDC. Then I checked across black to yellow (the return) and I got the following: With the needle on the gauge reading "full" (4/4ths) with the float approximately 1/4 up from the bottom of the tube, I read 6vdc. (That is: 6 volts to cause the deflection to read exactly full) at 1/8th the travel from the bottom, 3 volts and so on. If I go beyond quarter of the way up from the bottom, the voltage exceeds the 6 volts and the needle will deflect beyond the full mark and continue counter clockwise unt!
 il it ca
n't go any further. All the way up (full travel) was about 10vdc.  The circuit looks pretty simple but the books don't give me any reference measurements to compare. Has anyone ever measured the resistance of the travel in the stock DMC sender? How many volts will cause a full deflection in the gauge? Any Ideas? Is it the gauge or the sender? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.
Sal

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 06:54:35 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I had this problem a week after getting my car.  It ended up being
the fuel pump.

If the fuse is good and the interia switch is in the right position,
by-pass the RPM relay and see if you hear the pump running. I think
you can find a by-pass diagram on the SpecialTAuto web site.

If no pump noise, use a voltmeter at the power connections to the
pump.  I had voltage there, meaning everything upstream was fine...
pump was not fine.

Marv
#10820

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Christopher Mack

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:02:57 -0800 (PST)
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Delorean on Ebay

Agreed, however ... better not to send the scammer any
information such as "no such thing as dual-airbag
DMC's ...". The less good info these people have, the
easier it is for informed consumers to spot a scam.

- Geoff

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 09:07:21 -0500
From: "Ed B." <mr.pants_at_dml_ca.inter.net>

Good point...   These guys don't usually post the questions & replies of
the auction so you're correct, it would just be giving them more ammo.
Report to eBay and hope they pull the auction before someone gets burned.
- ed

1982 DMC-12 [11594]
1986.5 928S
1990 Coupe Quattro 20V

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:31:24 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

One load of "bad" gas can undo all your work to clean things up. Water
is a BIG killer. If it gets into the pump and sits there it will
destroy it. Easier than you may think, the baffle sits at the bottom
of the tank and can pick up water, not like on many other cars, some
have a pocket for the water to collect in, some cars keep the pick-up
slightly above the lowest point so as to not get the water. Once a
year when I put the car away for the winter I pull the fuel pump, suck
all the gas out, and wipe out the gas tank. Now water doesn't get a
chance to sit in there all winter and cause damage and I start the new
season with fresh gas.

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 14:40:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Start Issues / Flooding?

If the plunger was stuck you have a contaminated fuel system. Drain
the fuel tank and wipe it out. Inspect all the parts and replace any
in questionable condition. A bad accumulater will not cause a cold
start problem but it can cause a bad idle and it will definately cause
the hard-hot-start problem. A bad fuel filter won't usually cause a
problem starting but if it is COMPLETELY  plugged up I suppose it can
(rather uncommon). After you get the car to run for a short while THEN
change the fuel filter so it catches all the crud before you replace
it with a new, clean one. If you still have the origional spark plugs
and wires (or you don't know if or when they were changed) just
replace all of it. Include the distributer cap and rotor, and air
filter. As for your cold start problem check to make sure the cold
start system is functioning. Pull the cold start valve and see if it
sprays when cranking cold. Just be careful and catch all the fuel.

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:38:11 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Another place to have a look - Disconnect the return line from the fuel
distributor (the one that goes under the coil box and heads back up
front). I've seen cars where there is obvious rust inside the hollow
bolt there from water in the gas. If you see that, you probably need to
go thru the whole system. The fuel dist plunger will probably keep
getting stuck until you get all the crud out of the system. Keep in
mind that this system recycles the fuel continously.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:45:49 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: #4004 on ebay

Just want to warn everyone about this car.  I saw it listed previously here:
ViewItem&item=4583086098

And now that it's come up again here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-DMC-12-DeLorean-81-5-
speed_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31830QQitemZ4586378006QQrdZ1

Alot of details have changed on the car. The black interior has been
removed and a grey one installed, the doors nolonger hold themselved up,
the milage suddenly dropped from 12000 to 5900. And who knows what
else has been swapped or removed from the car.

I've been burned myself on things being misrepresented in auctions, so i'd
just like to warn everyone to bid accordingly for such a bastardized flood
damaged car.

I have nothing against people trying to make a profit, but misrepresenting
the mileage and leaving out key details of the vehicle's history that would
greatly effect value is another thing.

Chris
VIN# 3209

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:59:06 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Would it be sufficient to add some dry gas to the tank and run the
engine for a few minutes every week during the winter?

john

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 16:50:20 -0000
From: "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Attn John Hervey

On the Specialtauto website there is information on how to contact
him directly:

Send Email to: John Hervey
John_at_dml_SpecialTAuto.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Thomas Mc Auley <dmc4087_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hi
>> I placed an order on your website, but when I went to enter credit

card details, the website returned me to the main page. Just
wondering if the order went through? It was for a blower motor and
the improved lower engine cover stay

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 13:26:29 EST
From: Joshieloo_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Wrecked DeLorean on I-95 in Connecticut

List,
A guy I work with spotted a wrecked DeLorean traveling on I-95 in
Connecticut heading South. Does this car belong to anyone on this list  or does anyone
have an idea of who's car this may be? He's sure it was a  DeLorean; didn't see
a license plate or notice the name of the tow company. Any  thoughts?
Joshua Schwartz
Connecticut

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:52:52 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuse Question

Greetings! Today I found the fuse for my interior lights had blown. The manual calls for a
10 amp replacement, but a 25 amp fuse is currently installed. Does anyone know which
one is correct? (My bet is on the 10 amp one, but wanted to see if anyone had any
insights.)

Thanks in advanced.

- Geoff

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 16:38:42 -0800 (PST)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fuse Question

Before you replace the fuse, you should try to locate
what caused the fuse to blow in the first place.
There is a short somewhere. Try checking the cigarette
lighter socket first. The inside of the socket was
origionally intended for a lighter, not a phone
charger, so if the problem is the socket, and you dont
smoke, then you can replace the socket with one that
is intended to be used as a power outlet...you can get
one at auto zone for like $3. This is what I did with
my 89 Camaro a couple years ago and I havent had any
problems since.
If thats not it, then its gonna take a little longer
to find the problem.  For your sake, I hope it's the
cigarette lighter  :-)
Good luck
Jonathan Minor (no vin)