Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2964
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:2 Nov 2005 23:22:56 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: Fuse Question
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: DeLorean died and will not restart
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

3. RE: Fuse Question
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Re: #4004 on ebay
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

5. vin 6453 update
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Attn John Hervey
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

7. Vinyl on SS
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Attn John Hervey
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: #4004 on ebay
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

10. RE: Fuse Question
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

11. Re: #4004 on ebay
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

12. RE: DMA Holiday Party 2005 - Philadelphia PA
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

13. RE: VIN 6453 UPDATE
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

14. Re: vin 6453 update
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Re: #4004 on ebay
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

16. Re: #4004 on ebay
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

17. Re: Fuse Question
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Re: #4004 on ebay
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

19. 11501 Update & Looking for new/used B28F
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>

20. Fuse Question--"power outlet" and cigarette lighter recepticle
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Re: Fuel Sender or the Gauge?
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:35:31 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Fuse Question

Well, the fact that you have blown a 25 amp fuse should throw a red flag.
I would carefully check the light modules for any areas that might be
touching or shorting out.
There might also be a short at the switch itself.
The light itself is a fuse, so if something within the light path were to
short the light bulb
itself would blow. So you must have a ground short somewhere along the path.
You need to trace the to's and from's with a continuity tester to find the
problem.
- VB

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 01:57:40 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean died and will not restart

Dry Gas is not the best thing to add to gasoline. It can actually
cause moisture from the air to get into the gas so the "dry gas" can
absorb it. Running the motor is not good unless you run it long enough
to bring the motor AND the exhaust system up to operating temperature
or the moisture wil rot everything. This also means you will be
leaving the battery in the car. My advice (take it or leave it) is to
remove the battery, drain out the fuel, raise the car on jackstands,
cover the car, and leave some mothballs under the car (not inside) so
no critters move in. All this is done preferably in an enclosed garage
on a concrete floor. Not really important to heat it, just make sure
the anti-freeze is still good. Keep insurance on it and the car will
be good for up to 2 years if left that way. After 2 years the brake
and clutch fluid should be changed along with the anti-freeze.

Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:46:55 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Right off the top of my head I'm not sure which is correct, but I would
guess the manual is correct at 10 amps for the interior lights.

Be careful in any case! If a 10 amp was called for and a 25 amp blew, there
is definitely a progblem that needs to be found and corrected.

(Someone else will certainly reply in miliseconds telling you what the
correct fuse size is.)

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 03:24:33 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: #4004 on ebay

hi

i also saw these two on ebay.

just a couple of things, originally the doors did not hold up (can
see the pole!).

if a car was excellent before the flood, why didn't the owner change
the struts for a few dollars.
on the latest advert, you can see some banjo bolts on the engine, so
clearly its been worked on-not just flushed!!.

for flood damage, why would you flush the transmission?? isn't it a
sealed unit, otherwise oil would leak under pressure?.

surely engine would need to be pulled-perhaps the current owner
thought clean the plugs etc and would start!!!.

is not winding car mileages back/misrepresentation illegal in the US?
as in the UK.....but not prosecuted very often.

Regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Just want to warn everyone about this car.  I saw it listed

previously here:

>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
>> ViewItem&item=4583086098
>>
>> And now that it's come up again here:
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-DMC-12-DeLorean-81-5-
>> speed_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31830QQitemZ4586378006QQrdZ1
>>
>> Alot of details have changed on the car. The black interior has

been

>> removed and a grey one installed, the doors nolonger hold

themselved up,

>> the milage suddenly dropped from 12000 to 5900. And who knows what
>> else has been swapped or removed from the car.
>>
>> I've been burned myself on things being misrepresented in

auctions, so i'd

>> just like to warn everyone to bid accordingly for such a

bastardized flood

>> damaged car.
>>
>> I have nothing against people trying to make a profit, but

misrepresenting

>> the mileage and leaving out key details of the vehicle's history

that would

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 18:52:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: vin 6453 update

Hello,

Over the past day or so I did the following with my
DeLorean

1. jumpered the RPM relay - the fuel pump ran, but the
car did not start.. after several minutes of cranking
the engine I could smell gas in the engine

2. checked voltages at the ballast resistor - all
normal
3. checked voltages at the ignition coil - all normal
4. checked for spark at igintion coil - no spark
   -based on my findings, the problem is most likely
either the ignition coil (unlikely since I hear these
rarely fail) or the distributor coil (I hear these are
a common failure item on Delorens)   Am I correct on
my diagnosis??  Plese let me know .. replacing the
distributor coil is out of my league as I don't have
the mechanical expereincce to pull the fuel
distributor and intake manifold off the engine to get
to the distributor  :(    If anyone has any
recommendations as what I should do next or if I did
anything wrong with my diagnosis, plese let me know

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 04:17:23 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Attn John Hervey

I think John is at the SEMA show in Vegas this week.  It might be a
little harder to get in touch with him

Ron

wrote:

> [...]

credit

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 03:39:54 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Vinyl on SS

A buddy of mine abd I were talking about DeLoreans and cammo, we were
at a hunting store buying cammo. We had the idea of wraping a Delorean
in Mossy Oak cammo. It would be a promo thing for my mom's business
until the cammo started to crack then we would take it off and return
it to like it is now.----That is the conversation in a nut shell.

I still like the old "United We Stand" DeLorean and that is what gave
us the idea. How well does vinyl stick to the sheet metal? I highly
doubt that we will do it but it sparked my curiousity. Although it
would be the favorite car down here. Everywhere you go there is hunting
cammo somehwere on vehicles.

Josh

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 02:13:24 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I mentioned the original post to John when I spoke with him earlier
today. He is on the road in Vegas for SEMA and other shows and won't
be back in the shop until next week. He doesn't have a computer with
him, so he asked me to let the list know.

Regards,
Marv
#10820

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:51:30 -0000
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

List,

this car was purchased by a guy who is on the DeLorean forum at entermyworld.com. He
intended to fix it up, but decided he'd bit off more than he could chew and is reselling it. I
more detailed discussing here, which explains why some things on the car changed.

http://www.entermyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038

-Dave J

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 00:25:43 -0500
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

The current draw for a cell phone charger, or cigarette lighter adapter, is
much less than the lighter itself.

The cigarette lighter socket in the De Lorean is larger than those used in
American vehicles, though standard in Europe at the time of production.  If
you use an average cigarette lighter adapter in your De Lorean socket you
can very easily short the circuit.

I am not sure if they are still available but at one time you could purchase
a plastic sleeve to accommodate for this difference.  This adapter was very
common back then as Mercedes and BMW's of that era have the same over-sized
socket in comparison to American vehicles.

There is no appreciable difference between a "power outlet" and a cigarette
lighter receptacle.

Greg

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 07:43:04 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Seems like he swapped parts onto his car and vise versa,(if you look
close some parts are barely hanging in there)he put the better struts
on his car,bad ones on 4004,in other words he took the good parts off
of 4004 and put his crappy parts on 4004,(stripped it of any good
useable items)in essense getting free parts and making a profit on
top of that.You have to wonder HOW bad his parts were to swap from a
water damaged car.Those seats were most likely from his car,as the
seats that came with 4004 were just redone in Black Leather,Basically
whoever wins it is getting a flooded car,with EVEN crappier parts
than when it was flooded! Buyer beware!Here is a car that is going
from bad to worse to junk??
cbl

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:43:27 -0500
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: RE: DMA Holiday Party 2005 - Philadelphia PA

Delorean Mid-Atlantic club has updated their website to include details and
online registration for the 2005 Holiday Party.   Members who wish to attend
the event are encouraged to pre-register using paypal (or send a check)
prior to November 30th.   The cost is $30 per person before November 30th,
and late registrations from 12/1/2005 - 12/10/2005 will be $35 per person.
We ask that you PLEASE help us by pre-registering in order for us to
properly plan this event.

Details on the event and information to pre-pay can be found on our website
at:  http://www.deloreanmidatlantic.com/events/events.htm
If you have any questions, e-mail events_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com
<blocked::mailto:events_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

It's going to be a great event and we look forward to seeing you there!!!

 ---Dan
DMA Activities Director

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:42:36 -0500
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: RE: VIN 6453 UPDATE

Chris,

If you're getting power up to the ignition coil and then it dies after that,
then that is most likely the problem.  The first day I bought my car the
ignition coil died, using the simple procedure in the back of the technical
manual I was able to verify that.  Luckily I had purchased a new coil as I
was going to replace it anyway, so I was back in action in 10 minutes.

Good Luck,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:21:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Before you do anything else pull the cover off behind the drivers seat and check all the plugs. Unplug them and then plug them back in. Then if it doesn't start go further.

Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com> wrote:Hello,

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:39:51 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Re: #4004 on ebay

Flood damaged cars are almost impossible to fix properly without
a lot of time and effort.  Water finds it's way into everything, including
vacuum devices, electrical components, even things that you normally
consider to be "sealed".  The whole car should be disassembled and
cleaned. Anything that is fabric should be replaced.  All electrical
connections should be cleaned, including the vinyl overwrapping.
Any motors will probably need to be replaced, and anything that
has a bearing or lubricated joint needs to be disassembled, cleaned
and relubricated.

You need to be very careful recomissioning.  It should not be
started without at least changing all of the fluids and removing
the spark plugs.  If a cylinder still has water in it, it will
hydrolock, bending the connecting rod and damaging
the piston, head gasket, and potentially the liner.  Gear oil
(or ATF) should be changed as well - it's not a completely
sealed system as there are breathers/dipsticks to allow for
pressure changes as the unit heats up.

There is a reason insurance companies automatically write
off any flood damaged car.

-------------- Original message from "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>: --------------

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 18:13:12 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> List,
>>
>> this car was purchased by a guy who is on the DeLorean forum at

entermyworld.com. He

>> intended to fix it up, but decided he'd bit off more than he could chew

and is reselling it. I

>> more detailed discussing here, which explains why some things on the

car changed.

>> http://www.entermyworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2038
>>
>> -Dave J

I don't have a problem with what he did, only the fact that his auction is
extremely misleading and the mileage changing. I mean if he put in the
auction something like "the car had 12000 miles on it when I bought it
but after swapping some parts the current odometer installed reads
5900"  then that would be a hell of alot better, as at least any
perspective buyer would have a clue that parts had been swapped, and
what shape to expect the car to be in.   As it is he's trying to pass it off
as having been untouched, beyond trying to make it run after the flood.

I also don't like the fact there are no pics of the undercarriage which he
claims to be rust free.

And Yes I noticed one of the doors being propped on the original auction
only after I had posted my original message. But the other door seems
to be holding itself open.

Chris
VIN# 3209

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:05:30 -0000
From: "geoff_ombao" <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

All, thanks for the input. I'm not very mechanically inclined, so your insights are greatly
appreciated.

I haven't tried to use my cigarette lighter to power anything for one or two months, so I
don't think that it's the culprit. Two things that have happened recently:

1) My muffler mount (on the right side of the engine) snapped in two the other day ... one
piece was clanking against the blades on my alternator and one of the belts at the back of
my motor. Could this have interfered with performance of my alternator, and subsequently
caused a power surge?

2) I pulled some of the wires out from the driver's side door switches in an attempt to
temporarily silence the 'ignition key warning buzzer'. I may have re-connected them
incorrectly. (I've since messed with them more, and after installing a 10 amp fuse
everything *seems* to be working OK.)

- Geoff

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:25:17 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

After a car's been flooded, mileage on the odometer is the least of
your worries and should have no impact on the value of the car.

Anyone buying a flood car to rebuild it has never considered what it
means. About the only remaining value on a car like this is probably
the stainless and the frame itself (unless already rusted). (Yeah,
the fiberglass is good but doesn't have any value). A few days
underwater won't hurt the "hard parts" but like Mike said, anything
that moves or is electrical right down to the little vacuum canisters
on the heater is junk. Being submerged several feet is much different
from being sprayed with rain water. There isn't much that's truly
sealed against being under water, so everything is full of wet sand.
Ball joints, CV joints, relays, radio -  everything. Some of it will
fail right away, some not for months. But it's all bad.

At least this guy's saying it's a flood car, it's pretty obvious that
he's out to make a few bucks (what's wrong with that?) and he did go
to the effort of buying it, dragging it back home, and pulling parts
that he could use off the car.  Actually he'd probably make more
money and catch less criticism if he just parted it out. In that case
the parts buyers would have no idea it was a flood car either. Would
that be better or worse? My guess is that's what will happen with the
next owner, and no one will know.

The only way to restore a car like this is to find a donor car that
was in the right kind of accident (rollovers are good!) to donate all
the soft parts/mechanical parts. And then don't count your time. When
you're all done you'll have a $16,000 car with a "flood salvage"
title or a "totaled" title depending on which one you use the VIN
from.

Dave Swingle

Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:37:28 -0000
From: "natesky1980" <ncskalsk_at_dml_mtu.edu>
Subject: 11501 Update & Looking for new/used B28F

I Thought I'd let the list know how vin 11501 is fairing after
succumbing to a engine block defect.

The repair was simple and cheap (good clues of a less-than-long term
repair). I patched the hole with epoxy and did some trivial
maintenance (dist cat, wires, water pump, etc).  I haven't taken it
out any where, just up the hill I live on ( I figure if I only drive
up, the ol' gravity `engine' can always bring me home).   I've been
working on smaller projects to keep me occupied and not thinking
about the mess that is my engine.  Recovered the headliners, replaced
my steering wheel bushing, touched up the frame with POR-15, and
bought/installed a small fortune worth of stainless fasteners.   I
was able to scrape some of the epoxy of the frame, but thankfully I
haven't found any rust, other than some surface rust on the edge of
the front crossmember.   The car is really clean, everywhere.  So it
begs the question of how the valley of death became so contaminated.

Given that I expect to have the car well into the +20year range, I've
decided this winter I will put a new / rebuilt used engine in.
Again, I'm not looking to swap a different engine, just a 2.8 PRV
with one less hole.

I've contacted a few vendors/individuals.  I was planning on
purchasing a shortblock from DMC Houston for ~$1.5k as listed on
their online store, but they aren't offering them anymore.   They do
offer a longblock, depending on how the numbers land I may do that.
I'd like to have at least a short block, rather than having to
swap/replace everything into a new block.

I've looked around for B28F's in the local market.  There are a
couple, but all in the +100k mile range (would you belive someone
telling you a 85 volvo has less??).  There is a local-ish company
that sells rebuilt engines; they have the Volvo B28F and the B280F in
the inventory. But for a grand more I could have a DMCh long block
and not have to switch cradle/lower crankcase.

So in the interests of having options; if you have or know of a B28F
(Volvo or Delorean) engine that's available, please let me know.
(Especially in the mid-west, Minnesota region).

Thanks!

-Nate

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 11:57:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Fuse Question--"power outlet" and cigarette lighter recepticle

There is a difference between a power outlet and a
lighter recepticle...I believe (some)newer trucks have
both in the cab.  The difference is mainly that
lighter sockets are made to grab the tip of the
lighter when it is pushed in, whereas the power
outlets are not made to grab the tip of a lighter and
WILL NOT work with lighters.
"One particular problem is its(the lighter socket's)
disability to hold accessory plugs securely
connected." http://www.sutars.se/misc.htm (more info
on this page)

When a peace of the inside of the cigarette lighter
bent/broke in my camaro, it caused the short (BTW:
before I figured out that the problem was the socket,
I went through about 3 25A fuses)

Wether or not you believe me is of no concern to me...
I am simply trying to offer advice.

To test wether or not the lighter socket is the
problem, just unplug it(from behind). If the fuse goes
again, then that wasnt the problem.
Hope that helps
Jonathan Minor

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:06:36 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Sender or the Gauge?

Hi Sal,

Since no one else responded, I'll give you my
thoughts.  I've got three transmitters taken apart and
sitting in front of me.

All three exhibit a tendency for the rheostat wire to
slide to the bottom of the post that it is wrapped
around thus ending up with too many turns at the lower
end of the scale.  The wire does not appear to be
glued to the post, probably so the metal slide will
make good contact.  You can slide the wire back up the
post with your fingers, but I have found that gravity
will eventually cause it to fall back to the bottom.

My resistance readings are from one ohm to 100 ohms
one all three.  I don't have any voltage readings at
this time.  You can contact me offline if you have any
questions.

Mike