Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2967
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:4 Nov 2005 11:25:23 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Insurance, stated value, daily drivers
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

2. Re: Insurance, stated value, daily drivers
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

3. RE: Steering wheel removal
From: "Mike Cohee" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>

4. Re: DCS Magazine ready to ship (DVD)
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

5. Re: Insurance, stated value, daily drivers
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: #4004 on ebay
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Cold Start Valve circuit
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

8. The Value of the DML (Formerly Fuel Sender)
From: "Steelwings" <steelwings_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

10. Cleaning up and upgrading
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Re: high beam / low beam behavior
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

13. Re: Fuel Sender or the Gauge?
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

14. Re: Steering wheel removal
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

15. Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

16. RE: Steering wheel removal question
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

17. Re: Cleaning up and upgrading
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

18. New Steering Wheel - More Sporty
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

19. Anyone out there with a BAE turbo installed?
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. update on 16879
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

21. Re: high beam / low beam behavior
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

22. Re: high beam / low beam behavior
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

23. Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

24. Re: Monroe Shock Cross Refrence #'s
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

25. Re: Insurance, stated value, daily drivers
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:26:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance, stated value, daily drivers

Ryan,

I've got State Farm and a stated value policy.  No milage restrictions, full-coverage, etc.  As ever, it seems to vary state to state and city to city (I'm in the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis).  Maybe it helps that my agent is a personal friend??

Jake Kamphoefner
1063

Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com> wrote:
With the recent discussions on insurance, I thought I'd ask:

Does anyone offer stated value coverage on DeLoreans that are used as
daily drivers?

Thus far, I have had no luck finding such coverage. I called virtually
every insurance company in my yellow pages, including several
"brokers" that deal with dozens of companies. None would insure a
DeLorean at stated value. The collector car companies won't touch
daily drivers.

So far I've been "risking it" with State Farm - they don't offer
stated value coverage. It's funny how you can pay top dollar for
insurance and still have no guarantees of being able to replace the
car in the event of an accident. I figure, in the event of an
accident, I'll have to sue them to get a fair settlement. I'd be much
happier if I had stated value coverage.

--
- Ryan

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:05:47 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

It's not hard to understand why the majors don't do stated value
policies.  It's much to easy to state a value for a car that is more
than you have in it, bash it into a tree, and claim an instant profit.
And you really don't want a stated value policy - what you really
want is an agreed value policy.  In this policy, both you and
the insurance company agree up front what the car is worth.

Major insurance companies work off of statistical risk equations.
These equations only work if the population of cars is high enough
for the statistics to work out.  Specialty car insurers have a different
model.  Their analysis is based on owner behaviour as much as
statistical risk models.  The underlying concept is that an owner of
a specialty car is proud of it, will take care of it, and avoid putting
the car at risk by driving it to work or to the mall, and actively try to
keep the miles off of the car.  They enforce this concept with their policy
limitations.  They reduce risk of accident damage and theft so that they
can offer lower premiums.

Even with a specialty company, you will still need to provide the same
amount of documentation about the condition of your car and the
prevailing market for a similar car in the same condition.  No insurance
company will just take your word for it.  Your best way to justify
a value for your car is to have an up to date appraisal from a recognized
authority in the marque, good, high-quality, recent photos of your car
- inside and out - including flaws, a detailed and current maintenance history,
and receipts for parts and work done (particularly if it's restoration work).
It also helps to keep track of market values through a number of venues
like eBay, Sports Car Market, Cars of Particular Interest, and Hemmings
Motor News.  Most importantly, build a relationship with your agent.  Take
the car to their office.  Offer them and their staff rides.  Let them know when
you have made an improvement to the car.  Don't be a stranger.
If something happens, you are a person who is proud of their car and not
just a policy number.

-------------- Original message from Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:55:20 -0500
From: "Mike Cohee" <billsfanmd_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Steering wheel removal

I wish I had the exact thread size but I can't recall it. Someone mailed me
2 bolts and I used them. They barely thread into the wheel. The problem is
the length. It is very difficult to find that thread in the length you need.
My steering puller kit came with 50 diff bolts and none worked! You need to
take a bolt that has the right thread and then find it long enough at the
store. Maybe someone on here can give you the exact bolt size. I think True
Value or an older store has them. You are not alone in trying to find the
bolts to do what is otherwise a simple job...

Good luck

Mike C

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:56:12 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: DCS Magazine ready to ship (DVD)

FYI

One technical correction, there is a DVD enclosed, it's not a CD.

Although the DVD does show a few views of Pheasant Run Resort,
the majority of the video focuses on Chicago and the DeLorean
25th Anniversary Lake Shore Drive Cruise along Lake Michigan.
Enjoy the DVD and see you in the Chicago area in 2006.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, kKoncelik_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> snip
>>
>> Please note there is a CD inside the Magazine for you to see.

This was done by the Chicago group as a heads up to the DCS Chicago
show.

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:03:33 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I have stated value coverage through Allstate.  I had to provide an
appraisal in support of the statement.

It's in my best interest to keep the appraisal and the stated value
up-to-date so I can replace my car if it is totaled in some way. I
plan to do this about once a year.

Marv
#10820

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 23:26:40 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: #4004 on ebay

Given the same opportunity i would probably do the same. I mean the
stainless panels in and of themselves if in good cond are quite
valuable. The frame if unrusted is also a good thing to have.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_g...> wrote:

>> Who cares?  It's a FLOODED car.  I seriously doubt that a few parts
>> here and there are going to make any difference whatsoever if

someone

>> were to choose to restore this car.

look

struts

parts off

good

on

from a

the

Leather,Basically

parts

going

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:08:40 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Cold Start Valve circuit

Its a bit hard  to follow this postt while using my Treo on the trian but....

 Make suree the pins on the cold start valve cconnector are not pushed intto
the connector and  not making contact.

Figure out a way of checking the continuity of the connector CSValve together.

Dave Delman
D˛ &  6530

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:02:53 -0500
From: "Steelwings" <steelwings_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: The Value of the DML (Formerly Fuel Sender)

I just wanted publicly thank Mike Clemens and Marv Hien for helping me troubleshoot my fuel sender problem over the past few days. With the help of both, my fuel gauge is now functioning properly. Last night I posted several pictures of the sender unit on the  DMCNEWS site and with the help of Mike's keen eye, he noticed that the float contact that provides for the low fuel light might be touching the rheostat windings when fully assembled. Mike also went WAY out of his way to provide me with some VOM readings he took from some spare units he had for comparison. He was in fact, right on the money. The contact was touching the winding and was the source of the problem. I now have a functioning fuel gauge. This perfectly illustrates just how important it is for all of us to maintain a forum like the DML.  Thanks for the help!
Sal

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:15:49 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?

Hello.. You might want to check the seal around your front
windshield. Mine had some leaks and the first thing I did was check
that and had put more sealent into it.  The Door seals on mine were
orginal so I bought some new ones and replaced the old.  The outer
seals are the worst to replace as it is a chore to get off the old
weatherstrip adhesive.
    I need to re-align the drivers side door now and cannot quite
figure out why.  The passenger side is fine but the drivers side is a
problem.  I noticed that a small piece of white plastic from the
latch had broken off.  Could this be the problem with the door
alignment?

Roy

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "jedimasterglenn"
<jedimasterglenn_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just discovered that water has somehow been getting into my D.

The

>> floors on both driver and passenger sides are soaked (I had it

parked

>> outside at my mechanic's for a couple weeks).  My immediate

reaction is

>> to blame the door seals.  They're old and are a bit worn in areas.
>> Before I rush out and buy a new seal kit, are there any other

possible

>> problem areas I should inspect?  The car hasn't been driven in the

rain

>> at all, so the water must be seaping in from the door seals or some
>> other area that could let water run into the interior (I'm thinking

the

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:23:43 -0000
From: "lordshill1" <lordshill_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Cleaning up and upgrading

Hello... I started early on the clean up and fix up on the D that I had
planned over the winter.  The lower panels on the car had two holes
that are the seatbelt anchors.  I got the caps to go over them but what
is used to hold them on?  Epoxy?  On my lower engine cover it still
will not "pop up" when the latch is pulled.  It is not hiting the facia
at all.  I noticed the support rod does not really go up fast and the
spring seems to be unhooked.  Could this be the problem?  It takes two
people to open the cover..1 to pull the latch and the other to lift the
cover.  Any ideas?

Roy

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:22:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: high beam / low beam behavior

Owen,

Sounds like your dimmer switch may be at fault here..
The DeLorean has a 4 headlight system.  The high beam
bulbs are for high beam only and have one filament and
two contacts on the back of the bulb (1 ground and 1
12V+)  the low beam bulbs, on the other hand have two
filaments installed in them.  One for high beam and
one for low beam.  When just the low beams are on only
the low beam filament receivves electricity.  When the
high beams are on, the high beam filament of the low
beam headlight and the high beam bulb both receive
electricity.  If you look atthe back of your low beam
headlight, you will notice that there are three
contacts (prongs) on the back of the bulb.  One
ground, one 12v+ for the high beam filament and one
12v+ for the low beam filament.

I hope this helps.. I don't know how to fix the dimmer
switch issue, perhaps you can take the switch apart
and clean the contacts.. my dimmer switch broke on my
delorean to where my high beams would be on all the
time even when the car was shut off.. I had to replace
my switch.... I hope all goes well for you getting
this  dimmer switch issue taken care of

-Chris

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 16:20:22 -0600
From: Warren Wallingford <warren_at_dml_usadmc.com>

The Service and Technical Bulletins Manual has a large section devoted
to water leaks from the outside with pictures and everything.  We got
'em for $33.50.
Warren at DMC

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:25:42 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Sender or the Gauge?

Thanks.  John Hervey from SpecialTAuto was just here in Vegas and
told me he thought he could clean it up when I could live without
it.

It's a non-critical item so I will probably fiddle with it enough
that I break it, then I'll have to get a new one.  :)

Marv
#10820

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cupsdmc" <cupsdmc_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I had to replace the fuel sender when I purchased my did in August
>> 05'  It had been stored for 8 years with fuel in it.  The sender

was

>> gummed up.  I pull it and cleaned it to the best of my ability but
>> it still only work part of the time and seem to be inaccurate all

of

>> the time.  I purchase a new one from delorean.com
>>
>> http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewDir.asp?PageID=18&PageCat=2%
>> 2DFuel+and+Emission+System parts and was up and running in no

time.

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:59:10 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Sometimes you gotta think outside the box. Drill the holes out larger
and tap them to 5/16". That size will be in the puller and has enough
meat on the threads to do the job. The holes are only there for a
puller, why live with that unobtainable-in-long-screw size?

The first time I did this I went out of my way to get a long threaded
rod the right size (8mm?) for the factory holes in the wheel. And
promptly pulled the screws right out of the wheel. I think some PO
had put the wheel on the car with loctite.

Dave Swingle

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:26:30 -0600
From: "Robert Lingo" <rlingo_at_dml_midsouth.rr.com>

Water was running into my car thru the bottom of my toll-booth windows.  I
have new seals on the doors but not the window, water was collecting at the
bottom of the door and running onto the carpet.  Check your toll-booth
window seal.

Lingo #2034

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 16:57:30 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: Steering wheel removal question

Sean:

I'm 99% sure I got 7mm to fit those - its easy enough to check, find a 7mm
short bolt either around your shop or worst case off the car and double
check.

I got mine from Metric Specialties http://www.metricspecialties.com/  which
is local to me but I assume they will ship.  As other state the bolts were
barely long enough.  I think John _at_dml_ SpecialT also said he had 7mm threaded
rod - That would be a great option as you can cut a perfect length and just
use a nut.

Tom

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:00:04 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning up and upgrading

Weatherstrip adhesive.

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:11:58 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: New Steering Wheel - More Sporty

I want to replace the steering wheel with something a little more
modern, more sporty, with a touch of silver in it.  Maybe grips on the
side of the wheel.  Anyone know where to get something like this, and
will I have a hard time getting it fit into the Delorean, I don't know
if an adapter is readily available to make it fit.  Also want to
replace the automatic shift knob with something that has some silver
in it, also more sporty.  Thanks very much.

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:55:24 -0000
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Anyone out there with a BAE turbo installed?

Greetings!

If you're one of the few ...

Qs?

1. Have you notice that the Oxygen Sensor is plug to a different
connection, is this part of the modification? Or maybe I plug mine
to a wrong cable <:-(

2. Have you seen a loose black wire (with black connector) under the
water pump pulley?

3. Can you give me some info on (BAE turbo charged cars) what
modifications were done to the car aside from installing a turbo
charger?

Thanks.

tito

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:46:33 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: update on 16879

Well it has been an interesting few days with 16879.  I had to pick up a
load of scrap wheels at a junkyard in Osprey, Fl and while I was there, I
asked the head guy if he had any Volvos out there from the early to late
80’s.  He told me he had lots and to go and take a look.

I was looking for a fuel distributor as I think mine was gummed up as I
posted earlier.  Well after walking about a ˝ mile to the bitter back of his
yard low and behold there was a Volvo with our engine in it.  Boy was it
weird seeing on for the first time “backwards” in anther car.  Anyway I
removed the distributor and paid my $16.00 for it and left.  When I got home
I took some Emory cloth to the plunger and cleaned it up.  It slid in and
out perfectly, so I installed it in 16879.  It made things better, but did
not start fully.  It now seemed to want to fire up, but just couldn’t get
enough fuel – just chugged and sputtered out.

Today I stopped off at the auto parts store and bought new spark plugs
thinking maybe they were old and fouled.  I also was planning to meet Eric
Burtt after work.  I got home a few min before he arrived so I installed the
plugs.  While he was playing around in the bay we thought the new chugging
sounded like a cold start valve so we swapped the plugs with the cold start
and the warm up regulator.

SHE FIRED RIGHT UP!!!!!  Long story short we had her running off the cold
start for about 30-45 minutes and I drove it around the cul-de-sac a couple
of times, then she died maybe from lack of fuel in the tank, or the
accumulator (PO told me that’s what was wrong when I bought the car).

not sure what’s wrong yet, but SHE RAN!!!!!  Tony at DMCF will get her soon
and get to the bottom once and for all, oh and no I am not going to keep
starting it Tony, it’s bad  :-)

This little car keeps getting better and better, only thing now is there is
nothing more for me to do until it gets to DMCF for the experts to take a
look.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl

DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed

DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed

Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com

Come hang out in The DMC Lounge
<http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMCLounge/>  --

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:14:43 -0800 (PST)
From: geoff ombao <geoff_ombao_at_dml_yahoo.com>

All four of my headlights turn on when I push the wand
away from me.

- Geoff

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 02:25:19 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Depending on what you mean, it's probably normal. You may need to
have a helper work the switch while you stand up front and watch.

The outer bulbs have two filaments, a low and a high. The inners only
have one, high.

When you pull the switch toward you (flash to pass) both high beams
come on but the lows stay on. When you push the switch, the inner
high beams come on, AND the second element in the outer bulbs come on
but the first element in the outer bulbs turn off.

If the outer bulbs go completely dark when you turn on the high beams
(i.e. push the switch) they are either both burned out on the high
filament or you have a wiring problem.

Dave Swingle

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:59:02 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

Or you can view the water leak bulletin for free at:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-33-12.81.html

And all of the other bulletins for free at:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/index.html

Or you can buy them to have a nice hard copy in the garage from your
favorite vendor.

Good luck on your hunt for leaks, I've been there many times.  Shoot
me an email off list at PRC1216(at)aol.com if you still can't solve them.

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:23:26 -0800
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Monroe Shock Cross Refrence #'s

Shain:

I have a list of x-ref numbers that have been collected from many
members over the years.   I show  Monroe-matic 33049 for rear but the
note (needs space washers to fit)  Also my list shows Monroe-matic
32150 for front.   (with the same note- needs space washers to fit)...
  I have never installed these monroes but am very interested in the
bilsteins.   My mechanic that helps me with Delorean says he
successfully installed a set of bilsteins on a delorean 10 years ago,
but doesn't have any numbers anymore.   Keep me posted on what you
find out.

thanks.

Rodney
3300