Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2969
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:5 Nov 2005 00:31:58 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Steering wheel removal
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

2. RE: COLD START VALVE CIRCUIT
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

3. Re: POR-15 available by mail order only?
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

4. Re: #4004 on ebay
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

5. RE: Anyone out there with a BAE turbo installed?
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. RE: POR-15 available by mail order only?
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

7. RE: COLD START VALVE CIRCUIT
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

8. weird noise in key posistion II
From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: New Steering Wheel - More Sporty
From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com>

10. Re: Anyone out there with a BAE turbo installed?
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Steering wheel removal question
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. It's the little things that bug me
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

13. RE: New Steering Wheel - More Sporty
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

14. Re: dash cover
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:57:52 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal

It is not such a great idea to use a hammer on the steering wheel. You
could bend the wheel itself or even worse, damage the steering column.
The column is made so it can collapse in the event of a serious front
crash. Hammering on it can bend or otherwise damage it so that it
would not work when you need it the most! Using a puller is the proper
way to go. Chances are you will have to drill out and retap in most
cases because a P.O. f-cked up the tapped holes anyway. Before
removing the wheel and after removing the nut BE SURE TO MARK THE
EXACT LOCATION OF THE WHEEL RELATIVE TO THE SHAFT. Failure to do this
may result in not having the steering wheel in the "straight ahead"
position when driving straight down the road. Of course this assumes
it was in the correct position to begin with!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christophe Vieira"

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:32:15 -0500
From: Todd Nelson <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: RE: COLD START VALVE CIRCUIT

Tom,

There is supposed to be a hot wire at the TTS to heat up a bi-metallic arm,
which in turn will open the ground circuit if you are cranking excessively
so you don't flood your engine.  The blue/black wire is the one that you are
supposed to be grounding, since it works when you do that it is probably
your TTS that is at fault.

Good Luck,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:22:32 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: POR-15 available by mail order only?

Sure - if you tell us where you live...

-------------- Original message from Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com: --------------

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 16:00:54 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: #4004 on ebay

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> It would have been better,IF the orignal seller got the 8K,Since he
>> needed the cash more than the second buyer(to help get his life back
>> together)but when faced with more serious problems,that was the least
>> of his problems.I made the same mistake.Selling D's for a very small
>> fraction of their true worth.I'm sure if the orignal seller saw the
>> second auction,he was a little peeved,knowing he could have gotten at
>> least 3K more for it.(and that was without the "new interior" he put
>> into it,and with a crappy hood,and who knows what else.
>> cbl

I don't mind people trying to make a buck, but I feel sorry for the guy who
bought this car.  I only paid $8k for mine and it ran, had never been in a
flood, and had a clear title. And after the rebuild i'll still likly have $20k in it.
I can't imagine paying that much for a car in that bad condition.. I bet the
guy will have over $30k put in it restoring it, providing he doesn't give up in
the middle and selling or parting out the car for a fraction of what he has in
it in disgust.

Bargin D's can be found if you shop around and don't get in hurry jumping
at the first ones you see. And ebay is in general a really really bad way to
buy a car unless you can go examine the car personally.

Chris
VIN#3209

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 07:36:17 -0600
From: "Joseph Kuchan" <josephkuchan_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Anyone out there with a BAE turbo installed?

I have a copy of the BAE installation instructions in PDF format that I'll
send you directly. They explain the rewiring of the O2 sensor.

-Joe Kuchan

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:40:32 -0500
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

Mike,

Check some automobile paint stores.  I buy it all the time there.  I live in
a real rural area and I could find it,  I'm sure you can as well.

-Shain

When I bought it, I called the company and they gave
me the name of a local distributor.

-- Internal Virus Database is out-of-date. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.361 / Virus Database: 267.12.4/146 - Release Date: 10/21/2005 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 7 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:47:43 -0800 From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com> Subject: RE: COLD START VALVE CIRCUIT Note to all - I have not proven this yet but I used a generous amount of teflon tape when re-installing the TTS - I think this is why I think I'm not getting ground - there may be no metal to metal connection, or only a poor one - due to the tape. Tom -----Original Message----- From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com [mailto:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Todd Nelson Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 5:32 AM To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com Subject: RE: [DML] COLD START VALVE CIRCUIT Tom, There is supposed to be a hot wire at the TTS to heat up a bi-metallic arm, which in turn will open the ground circuit if you are cranking excessively so you don't flood your engine. The blue/black wire is the one that you are supposed to be grounding, since it works when you do that it is probably your TTS that is at fault. Good Luck, Todd Nelson 1561, Vermont http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732 ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 8 Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:48:03 -0000 From: "realrealgone" <realrealgone_at_dml_yahoo.com> Subject: weird noise in key posistion II everytime i put my car in posistion II i hear a strange nosie coming out of the back and even near the battery compartment. i traced the noise to the pipe/hose connected to the frequency valve. anyone have any idea if this is normal? it goes away after a few seconds, just doesnt sound right... ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ Message: 9 Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:08:54 -0600 From: Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_austin.rr.com> Subject: Re: New Steering Wheel - More Sporty DMCH had a sporty-looking steering wheel hanging on their wall, but it's not on their website. I don't know the price but I'm pretty sure it will fit. :-) More than anything, I want a steering wheel with a HORN. Right in the MIDDLE. I wanna be able to "<BLAP><BLAP> idiot!!" without fumbling with the !_at_dml_#^*&?!! stalk. I also really like the radio controls that are on the Jeep Liberty steering wheel, since they're hidden on the back of the wheel. Gus Schlachter VIN #4695 Austin, Texas

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:58:27 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

1.  Can't say.  Once the modifications were done to this car, the O2
sensor was eliminated.

2.  I just checked, and didn't see any loose wires

3.  Other modifications include:  intercooler, forged pistons,
exhaust, fuel distributor, oil cooler, Delco alternator...a few other
small modifications.

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:42:12 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal question

This is what worked for me. I used 2 SAE 1/4-28 NF x 4 or 5 inches long.  I got them from
a well stocked auto parts store but, if your Ace hardware has an extensive Hillman
hardware section you should be able to find them. These are not the exact size but will
work. They do thread in with a little resistance. I  would recommend a drop of oil or
WD-40 for lubrication because you will be forming a slightly modified thread. Be sure too
screw the bolt in at least 1/2 in.   If you have a tap set You could also re-tap them to this
size, but you need to have the right type of tap handle to allow for the depth of the wheel
center. You will probably need a standard SAE washer on the head of the bolt to span the
large slots in the puller. I  Have done this on two different cars with excellent success.
When your done save the bolts in the glove box for the next time you need to remove the
wheel. It may be years or never but at least you will have them just incase.  incidently the
hardware needed is about $1.50 total.

Dennis

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 18:41:36 -0500
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: It's the little things that bug me

Hey gang,
Recently I noticed the cigar lighter light wasn't on in my console so I replaced the unit since the old was slightly messed up.  The lighter works as normal but the light stays on all the time and only goes off when the headlight switch is turned on-just the opposite of how it is supposed to work according to the fuse descriptions in the owner's manual.  I'm sure there is a simple solution but can anyone point me in the right direction towards getting the light to function correctly in conjunction with the switch?
I went from no light to light all the time!

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:43:32 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>
Subject: RE: New Steering Wheel - More Sporty

I was thinking about this a few days ago when the D showed up on Ebay
complete with dual airbags.

If we're going to add anything to the steering wheel, lets get back to
the DSV concept and fit the thing with an airbag.  I know its supposed
to be a black art, but I would hope that a well designed power circuit
with an impact sensor from a similarly weighted car would go a long way
toward making it work.  I'm sure finding the right location for the
sensor would be a bit of research too - but c'mon.  We understand that
nobody is ever going to stand behind such a product for liability
reasons - so it will never happen.  It's a shame there was nothing in
the company files about the engineering for the planned airbags that
would allow for such an upgrade to happen.

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:06:14 +0000
From: delorean12_at_dml_comcast.net
Subject: Re: dash cover

I spoke to the manufacturer of the dash covers and if I order 10 or more, I can get a discount price.  A friend of mine sells after-market automotive parts and he is willing to set up an account with them.  They typically retail from $39.95 to $59.95.  I believe the DeLorean sells for $59.95 as it is custom.  With my discount (not including shipping) I MAY be able to get them for $25.00 each.  So far Rodney wants 3 and I want 4.  Brian Davis, do you still want one?  If anyone else would like one, please contact me directly at delorean12_at_dml_comcast.com  as I do not want to clutter the forum with emails.  Please identify the Quantity & Color you want.  Before I order, I will post the totals in case someone else wants to place an order.

Jason

BTW, I have volunteered to be the "test dummy" and purchase one now to make sure that it fits properly!!  Also, I do not plan on making a profit off this.  What I buy them for is what you will pay.  We are a close community with a long history of helping each other out, so lets keep it that way!

P.S. RODNEY, e-mail me off forum to let me know the colors you want.