Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2970
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:5 Nov 2005 23:39:20 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: It's the little things that bug me
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

2. High, or "sticky" idle
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. Re: POR-15 available by mail order only?
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

4. Re: high beam / low beam behavior
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. AW: High, or "sticky" idle
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

6. Re: dash cover
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

7. Re: 3 Quick Questions
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: High, or "sticky" idle
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. Re: High, or "sticky" idle
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: New Steering Wheel - More Sporty
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com

11. RE: High, or "sticky" idle
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

12. DCS Magazine is in the mail
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

13. Two red wires near coil
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com

14. Dash Covers
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. AW: Steering wheel removal question
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>

16. I need a new gear knob (part #101284)
From: "Edoardo Auteri" <kin_taro_oe_at_dml_hotmail.com>

17. Re: DeLorean for sale in Hamden CT
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>

18. Re: High, or "sticky" idle
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

19. Re: Re: DeLorean for sale in Hamden CT
From: "thatwerks.com" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>

20. Re: Dash Covers
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:38:06 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>
Subject: Re: It's the little things that bug me

  I'm going to take the SWAG(scientific wild a$$ guess)approach since
I don't know the correct operation either.  Could it be that the
light is on the same circuit as the A/C panel lights?  --on bright
with the headlights off and dimmed down when the headlights are on.

Matt Smith

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_c...>
wrote:

>> Hey gang,
>> Recently I noticed the cigar lighter light wasn't on in my console

so I replaced the unit since the old was slightly messed up.  The
lighter works as normal but the light stays on all the time and only
goes off when the headlight switch is turned on-just the opposite of
how it is supposed to work according to the fuse descriptions in the
owner's manual.  I'm sure there is a simple solution but can anyone
point me in the right direction towards getting the light to function
correctly in conjunction with the switch?

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 20:37:01 -0500
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: High, or "sticky" idle

Hey all - trying to figure out what to check out:

My car (manual) is now starting to stick at around 2500 RPM's when it is supposed to be at idle.  The car runs fine, but just idles higher than usual.  If I tap the gas pedal quickly, the idle will fall back down to the 1000-1200 range and idle there fine.

As soon as I accelerate and then re-apply the clutch then the idle jumps right back to 2500.

Any suggestions on what to check out?

Thanks!

Michael Babb

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 19:39:56 EST
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: POR-15 available by mail order only?

Thanks to everyone that responded to the POR-15 inquiry.

 I was able to find it at the House of Colors in Glen Bernie Maryland.  It
was $75.00 for two pints of black and Gray.

Nate Deschenes, my Father and I have started a DeLorean frame off
restoration, on Nate's car, that is progressing along well and after  some small areas
are cleaned up, the engine&trans will go back into the car.

The body & chassis drop unveiled areas of concern that POR-15 should
correct. Another British car enthuasist in my neighborhood, suggested a spray on  wax
for the hidden areas of the chassis, that is also used a lot in Jaguars.
I've been able to find some advertised in Practical Classics, Thorobread &
Sports car, etc, primarily British automobile enthuasuist magazines.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack
Maryland

NOTE:   THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND NONPUBLIC INFORMATION.  IT
IS  INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL(S) OR ENTITY(IES) NAMED
ABOVE, AND  OTHERS SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED TO RECEIVE IT.  If you are not the
intended  recipient of this document, you are notified that any review,
dissemination,  distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited.  If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by return
 email, delete the electronic message and destroy any printed copies.  Thank
you for your cooperation.

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:01:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Christopher Mack <christopher_mack_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: high beam / low beam behavior

Owen,

most likely it is the switch.. when you pull the wand
towards you or push it away to turn on the high beams,
they should work the same (all 4 bulbs illuminated)

-Chris

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 09:14:50 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: High, or "sticky" idle

Check the Idle speed switch, it's most likely not being pushed in all the
way.

But even 1000rpm is too high for a warm engine.

Elvis

Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:50:28 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: dash cover

Just so you know, I went to: http://www.dashmat.com/ and purchased one for
the D (listed right on their web site) for $40 + shipping. It doesn't have
anything special written on it, but for $15 more, they can monogram it. It
fits well and hasn't had any issues over the last 2 years. Still looks
brand new and my dash is looks just the same as when I covered it up.

I did make just one minor change to it from the way they sent it. I
attached a hook on the passenger side so it clips on the windshield vent.
The driver side stays on just by gravity. That way I don't have to use the
velcro strips it comes with, plus I can remove it easily for car shows.

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:32:57 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: 3 Quick Questions

Tom,  See my replies:

In a message dated 11/4/2005 5:27:19 A.M. Central Standard Time,
rjwilson62_at_dml_yahoo.com writes:

1.   The back-up lights do not function.  The lamps are good.  The
ground circuit at the lamps is good.  The proper voltage is present
on the fuse.  The fuse is good.  Looking at the schematic, I am
suspecting the back-up switch or connections to it.  I have searched
the manual.  The question is "Where is the back-up light switch
located?"

Back up light switch is located on driver's side top of transmission. I
assume you have a manual?  Jack the rear end up and you should see it -  there is
a rubber boot (or there SHOULD be one) that covers the wires.   Common problem
is one of the two wires popped off or is loose. Check the switch  with a
meter and replace the crappy connections on the wires and apply  dielectric
grease.  Then you should be back in business!

3.  I have used "Armor All" on the black exterior trim  (rear) and on
the louvers over the engine compartment.  This does not  stay bright
and non-faded looking for long.  Is there a better  product?

I always use Eagle-1 Tire spray.  Comes in a clear bottle with a black  and
silver label.  I apply the tire spray liberally to the louvers while  they are
semi-wet after a wash and rub in with a towel.  I take a clean  towel and
lightly spray the bumpers with the tire stuff and rub it in with the  towel.  Then
I use a small cloth and spray the cloth lightly when I do the  air ducts, rub
strips, rear view mirrors, windshield trim, and other small  parts.  Works
great and lasts a long time.

Good luck!
Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:46:37 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: High, or "sticky" idle

1) throttle cable/arm getting stuck. Easy to check, when idling too
high, try pushing on the throttle arm.

2) Idlespeed ecu gone funny - quite common.

Either way, The engine is supposed to idle at 850rpm, not 1000 - 1200 so
something's not right.

Martin

Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:50:22 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

In a message dated 11/4/2005 8:50:35 P.M. Central Standard Time,
mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com writes:

Any  suggestions on what to check out?

Thanks!

Michael Babb
VIN  3472

Mike,

Check where the throttle cable comes out of the sheath right next to the
throttle spool. My guess is it is starting to fray and it is hanging up  there.
If the throttle cable is damaged, you can get very similar wire at  a
well-stocked hardware store.  I went through this a couple years  ago.

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 04:21:22 EST
From: ComposerZelgadis_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: New Steering Wheel - More Sporty

Or, if you really want to go all the way with it, get a five-point racing
harness installed!  :-)

In all honesty, I'd like to see airbags as an add-on to the DeLorean.   But
the research costs alone would go through the roof, and quickly make it a
non-practical solution.  I use my DeLorean for daily-driving.  I hit  the
Interstate once a week.  People talk about New York... check out  Alligator Alley or
I-75 in the SW Florida area!  But I digress.

I use mine for daily driving, and despite sitting on the ground versus  other
cars, I feel very safe driving it.  Having a horn in the center of  the
steering wheel, I'm somewhat against.  If this mod came out, that would  be great,
I know a lot of people would kill to have this feature.  I'm not  one of them.
 And having another option to throw on the "can-do" list is  always welcome.
In comparison to other cars, our options are kind of  limited.

My left-hand has gotten into the habit of gliding from the wheel to the
lever when needed.  One thing that bothers me though, especially at night,  I have
a foul habit of accidentally flashing the brights when I go to use the  turn
indicator.  Can't help but wonder how many people I've pissed off thus  far!
Granted, it's not an "always occurs" habit, but it's often enough to  bug me.

Oh well.

TL;DR (too long, don't read): Car is safe (in my opinion) without  airbags.
Would be nice to have, but is kind of unnecessary.  Horn  would be neat, but
also unnecessary.  I think having the horn on the column  gives it more of that
"different car" feel.

Regards,
William F.

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:08:45 -0500
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

Mike,

>From my own experience,  remove the whole throttle body assembly, and
thourghly clean it.  Dirt is your worse enemy on these cars.  So many time
when I work on all different types of cars,  small amounts of dirt get into
the way and causes the throttle body to stick.  When I first got my car I
took everything apart and cleaned it.  And no problems in 5 years.  It's a
crappy job,  but to not have to worry about something for years is well
worth it.

-Shain

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:54:53 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Magazine is in the mail

All of the magazines went out this morning and if the Post Office does not
lose them you should be seeing them by mid to late next week
They are sent 1st class as opposed to Media Mail so hopefully they will not
damage, destroy, lose, open and read or hold on to them for weeks.

If you do not have it in 14 days (Remember its the USPS) then e-mail  me.
some of the magazines are sent with signature request as a spot  check.

So

Enjoy and thanks for subscribing

_www.deloreancarshow.com_ (http://www.deloreancarshow.com)

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:10:11 EST
From: doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Two red wires near coil

Tom,

Get yourself a copy of my DeLorean Bulkhead Connector in the file  section.
The price is right!

_http://tinyurl.com/bcqtr_ (http://tinyurl.com/bcqtr)

Those wires go to the Frequency Valve.

Dave Delman
D & 6530

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:03:01 -0800
From:  "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

When upgrading my coil I found two more red/XX wires chewed  through by
rodents.  The come through the firewall near the coil, and  land on the aft
most white nylon multipin connector, closest to the  positive jump start
terminal.

I like to know what I'm working on  when I splice rodent chewed wires - what
are these  two?

Tom

Thank  you,

Dave

"Just Say  NO, to the COUCH POTATO!"

To see how go to _www.tvpedaler.com_ (http://www.tvpedaler.com/)

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 05:10:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Watkins <outatime81_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Dash Covers

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble but you can buy
these in lots of different colors at

www.dashmat.com

They are 39.95

I've had one for years.

Tom

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 09:57:34 +0100
From: "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita_at_dml_gmx.de>
Subject: AW: Steering wheel removal question

On my steering wheel there were just regular M6 threads.

I had to retap them to M8 because they were too weak, but original it was
M6.

99% of the car is standard metric, why would it be different here ?

And if you can't find M6 - retap it !

by the way - to get my steering wheel out the first time, I had to
heat up the connection with a heat gun (not too hot, don't burn the wheel !)
and also used a hammer - but I loosened the hight adjustment first and held
the wheel with my legs while I hit the shaft - no the bolt that I used
to put tension on the shaft. And suddenly it came off.
But with the original threads and without the heat gun it wouldn't have
worked
in my case. The tool was self made - very simple.

Elvis & 6548

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:17:59 -0000
From: "Edoardo Auteri" <kin_taro_oe_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: I need a new gear knob (part #101284)

Dear Friends,
I need to replace my gear knob (part #101284) because mine is overused
and scratched.
This part seems to be not available at DMC Houston.
If somebody has an used (but still good) shifting ball to sell, please
let me know.
I live in Italy.
Thanks very much for the kind attention.
Edoardo

My contacts are:
skype user : kinmami
MSN Messenger user : kin_taro_oe_at_dml_hotmail.com
ICQ user : 60577562

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 17:31:56 -0000
From: "f14dflyer" <f14dflyer_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean for sale in Hamden CT

The car sold. I don't know who to, though I'd be curious to know if it was anyone here on the
list. I must say though that - in retrospect -  I'm glad no one responded to my offer to
inspect the car. Two friends and I (they'd never seen a DeLorean in person before) stopped by
the dealership just to take a quick look (they didn't touch the car. In fact, one of them kept
his hands in his pockets the whole time) and we got chased out by the owner. He was REALLY
mad because my other friend took a picture. He launched into an obscenity laced and LOUD
tirade and even threatened to call the cops on us, then actually took the camera away from
my friend so he could delete the picture. I couldn't believe it.

So, if someone here did buy it, I'd be warry of the guy when you go to pick it up. And if he
tells you about the incident, you'll already know my side.

Asking

Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:14:54 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Lubricate the throttle cable as per the recall. Make sure there is no
mat or anything interfering with the pedal. Tighten the spring on the
throttle spool. Disassemble the throttle spool and clean and
lubricate. Make sure that the throttle arm positively actuates the
idle micro. Just some of the simple things to check out.

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 13:11:49 -0500
From: "thatwerks.com" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>
Subject: Re: Re: DeLorean for sale in Hamden CT

I was wondering about the condition of the car. Certainly sounds like
something is up if the owner was such a jerk like that.

Christopher Sztybel
Lead Designer, That Werks
e-mail: csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com
phone: 908.209.1857
web: http://www.thatwerks.com

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 14:35:15 EST
From: Delorean3_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Dash Covers

Thank you so much. I just bought a dash mat!!

boB  Cutrupi