Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2973
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:8 Nov 2005 22:52:50 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Holy Crap I am Top Of The Vin List!!!!
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

2. Re: Testing the fuel accumulator
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

3. BTTF tribute in current issue of "Movie Magic" magazine w/ DCS mention
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>

4. Re: lambda warning & would like tech advice
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

5. Re: Collector car insurance & stained records
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

6. Re: Steering wheel removal / "Cross-tapping" method
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Possible Alternator trouble and more
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_gmail.com>

8. Re: I joined the engine pulling club
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

9. Re: I joined the engine pulling club (encore)
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

10. VIN 5252 Sold
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. Looking for taillights and license plate bezel
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

12. Re: Testing the fuel accumulator
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. RE: <explitive delited> I am Top Of The Vin List!!!!
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>

14. Re: lambda warning
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

15. second otterstat this year
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

16. Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

17. Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

18. Where to Send Delorean Information
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

19. Re: Testing the fuel accumulator
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

20. Re: Re: lambda warning & would like tech advice
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

21. Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

22. Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

23. Re: Where to Send Delorean Information
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

24. Re: Re: I joined the engine pulling club (encore)
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

25. Clean out Fuel distributor
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:07:16 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Holy Crap I am Top Of The Vin List!!!!

Owners Directory link is under Information on the dmcnews main
page.  Fill out the form and submit...

Marv
#10820

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> Who maintains this list? 3209 isn't in Des Moines, IA anymore.. I

bought

>> it in july. It now resides in Jackson, TN
>>
>> Just wondering who I need to submit this information to, and also

what

>> else is needed. The hood has groves, but no gas flap. I should

know. its

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:22:14 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Testing the fuel accumulator

Simple to say, but a pain in the rear, but replace the fuel
accumulator.  If it's that old, it's done its job and needs to be
replaced.  No pressure means a hot start problem, also replace the O
ring in the fuel distributor, and you should be good to go.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_j...> wrote:

>> Hello all  :)
>>   I'm having the typical hot restart problem after my D sits for

about

>> 45 minutes after being brought to operating temp.  I suspect that

after

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:23:14 -0000
From: "BTTF.com" <stephen_at_dml_bttf.com>
Subject: BTTF tribute in current issue of "Movie Magic" magazine w/ DCS mention

"Movie Magic" magazine has turned the clock back to 1985 with a 20th
anniversary salute to 'Back to the Future' in their current issue, on
newsstands beginning November 7, 2005.

The three-page essay ("The Future At 20", pp. 58-60) features an
exclusive interview with writer/producer Bob Gale on the history of
BTTF, as well as brand new quotes from Darold Crotzer regarding his
upcoming documentary 'Looking Back at the Future', which will premiere
at the 2006 DeLorean Car Show. There's even a small bit of commentary
provided by yours truly on the franchise's longevity.

"Movie Magic" ($9.95) is a color quarterly magazine with an approximate
print run of 250,000 copies. The current "Deluxe Collector's Edition"
is formally entitled "Life Story &#8729; Movie Magic: Harry Potter, Hero of
Hogwarts" and will remain on bookshelves through February 6, 2006.

Stephen Clark
BTTF.com

Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:28:20 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: lambda warning & would like tech advice

Sea Foam is a penetrating oil product, and expensive too.  I have
some but would never put it in the fuel tank, I hope he didn't try
on run it through the fuel lines.  That would be very bad.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, doctorDHD_at_dml_a... wrote:

>> Regarding the second question...
>>
>> Please tell me (us) what sea foam is?  Have you replaced the fuel

filter?

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:53:48 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Collector car insurance & stained records

Josh Porter wrote:

>>Can someone get collector car insurance with two traffic violations
>>that are a few years old?

The information is there. Here's a link

http://www.hagerty.com/vehicle_qualify.asp

VIN# 03209

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:00:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal / "Cross-tapping" method

Just wanted to throw a thumbs up to whoever suggested
the retapping of the steering wheel holes to 1/4 inch.
 I decided to pull my wheel for the first time last
night to help get access for building the custom dash.
 Since I didn't have any goofy extra long metric
bolts, and since I was prepared to completely redrill
and retap the wheel, I decided to try the
re-tapping/"cross-tapping" of the existing holes.  I
ran a 1/4x20 tap down the existing holes.  It cut
easily and smoothly.  Then used some 1/4" all-thread,
making sure the rods threaded ALL-THE-WAY in, and a
puller and the wheel came off EASY.  Obviously the
best way is to use the bolts that the factory
intended, but in a pinch, this method will work, work
well and doesn't require any difficult to find parts.

Aside form the large socket to get the center bolt
off, here's what I needed:

1/4 x 20 tap and handle
2 - approximately 6" long pieces of 1/4 x 20 all
thread rods
4 - 1/4 x 20 nuts
2 washers
steering wheel or harmonic balancer puller

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:27:33 -0000
From: "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Possible Alternator trouble and more

Ok everyone, get ready for a long one:

A little over a month ago I replaced my original 90-amp Motorola
with a D150 from John Hervey, just as a preventative step. My
original Motorola was still working fine, but I figured I would
upgrade it before it failed and left me stranded instead of after.

Everything was working great the last month, until about 5 days ago,
I started noticing that once in a while as I would accelerate,
particularly in 1st and 2nd gear, through around 1500-1900 RPMs I
would hear a whining screeching sound like a rusty wheel spinning
that needed some lubrication kind of thing, and coinciding with the
noise the voltmeter would dip from its normal 13.5-14 down to about
12.5 until the noise stopped. It usually only lasted for about 3-5
seconds. I tried 3 different times in the driveway manipulating the
throttle from the engine to replicate the symptom but could not.

Then this afternoon on my drive to work, when I was about 10 minutes
away, the voltmeter dropped down to about 11 (it was just a hair
above the red line in between 8 and 13). The noise from before was
not present, and the volts never went back up the rest of the drive.
I tried quickly having a look in the parking lot at work but
couldn't see or smell anything really out of the ordinary in the
engine bay. When I came out to drive home, the voltmeter was in the
same spot right around 11 for the entire drive home, and if I
pressed the gas down a fair bit and put a decent load on the engine
trying to accelerate it would shudder and kick and the tachometer
would go erratic, although with light acceleration I was able to
maintain any constant speed (the drive home is about 70 mph).
Usually the idle in my car is right at 750-850 all the time. As I
got a little closer to home I noticed it started idling right at
1000. In the driveway at home I was messing around gunning the
engine a couple times and letting the idle settle back down and it
did drop from 1000 down to about 950 at one point.

I can't see anything really out of the order from looking. Both
belts are new and appear to still be fine. The battery light works
of course but never illuminated the whole time. I have no idea where
to start here. I know, the first thing I should do is call John
Hervey. I did, and he's out of town for a few days so no help there
for the time being. I'd appreciate any insights, tips, and advice on
what to do here, or even an explanation of what could be going on.
Should I grab my tools and head out tonight and put the Motorola
back in to make sure I can get to work tomorrow morning?? (yes the D
is my only car) Thanks a lot everyone for any help whatsoever!

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:50:56 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: I joined the engine pulling club

I found this engine mount trick especially true on the automatic, not
such a big deal on the manual. Also - when you remove/install the
engine with an automatic attached, take/leave the dipstick off!
That's worth a couple of inches of clearance as you tilt it into
place.

The other reason this engine mount trick is a good idea is that
sometimes the mount gets stuck to the engine, and you can very easily
rip the rubber part in two when you lift it.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_b...> wrote:

>> 2) Unbolt the motor mounts from the frame instead of seperating the

two

>> halfs of it.. This might be a pain to do. I don't remember, as it's

been

>> awhile since I pulled mine, but if you can manage it it'll keep you

from

>> having to lift the engine as high. I think it also makes putting it

back in a bit

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 03:47:26 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: I joined the engine pulling club (encore)

Why would you leave the rear facia on? I know you just love painting
them, but it is pretty risky given how easy it comes off, and how
easy it would be to scratch it up or worse with the engine.

Did you leave the trans in the car? That would make a difference.

Dave Swingle

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 04:03:16 -0000
From: "Louie" <louie_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: VIN 5252 Sold

Hi List,

It is now official... VIN 5252 is no longer mine. I've had an
overwhelming response to the car since I lowered the price over the
weekend. This morning the title was transferred to Pat Molamphy of
Pinehurst, North Carolina. While it is very bittersweet to sell her,
I am very pleased that the car is staying in state, and that I'll
likely be able to see her again.

Pat's got big plans for the car, and sounds like he's going to do
more work to her in the next few weeks than I was able to accomplish
in the two years I've owned her. It does feel strange to not own a
DeLorean for the first time in 4 years, but what's keeping my sanity
is knowing I will own another (hopefully soon!). I plan on hanging
around the community still, and hope to have another car within a
couple of years. Thanks again to everyone along the way who has made
DeLorean ownership such a fun experience.

Louie Golden
Charlotte, NC

Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:34:04 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Looking for taillights and license plate bezel

I was wondering. Does anyone out there have a set of tail lights and
license plate bezel in not so great condition that they might sell
relatively cheap?  I need them to try out an idea I had, but I don't
want to destroy the perfectly good ones on my D, or any other perfectly
good ones either.  Ones that were scratched up or otherwise not pretty
would be perfect, but i'd rather them not be broken unless they were the
only ones I could find.

Any help would be appreciated.

VIN# 03209

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 05:19:03 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Only problem that I see is the fuel accumulator is 25 years old  :-)

I think is is absolutley safe to change it, based on what problems you
just described.

-Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 00:32:21 -0800
From: "Montgomery, Ken" <kenm_at_dml_csus.edu>
Subject: RE: <explitive delited> I am Top Of The Vin List!!!!

   You can find everything you're looking for at :
http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html

At the current rate of updates and new entries, I expect to be ready to
produce a new updated Directory just after the first of the year. We're
discussing making some major changes right now.

If you're already in the DOD, check your entries and fill in the form so
I can make the corrections. For access to the DOD, go to:
http://www.dmcnews.com/directory_open/acc_req-form.html

Access is only open to owners who have already filled in the main form
at the top URL.

If you know of other cars (that are not your own), you can let Knut know
about them for the Production Chronology here:
http://www.dmcnews.com/directory_open/Chron-submit-form.html

Ken Montgomery, Sacramento CA - VIN #10911 'OUTTIME'
http://www.time-traveler.org/delorean/
mailto:kenm_at_dml_csus.edu
President, Northern California DeLorean Motor Club
http://www.ncdmc.org
http://www.dmcnews.com mailto:directory_at_dml_dmcnews.com

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 06:58:29 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: lambda warning

The light needs a reset on the lambda counter box. It has to be wound
backwards to zero.
Did you do the fuel filter when you did all that work? The O2 sensor?
-Kevin

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:10:13 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: second otterstat this year

My second otterstat has failed this year.
They fail in a good way-- the fans run continuous as soon as the key is
turned. But I am naturally worried about the strain on the electrical system
and about what is causing this behavior.
If I disconnect it the fans will stop (but still engage with the AC), but
that is dangerous since this time of year I don't run the AC continuously.
The hot wire (I didn't realize one was hot until I saw some sparks!) lost
its boot when I replaced the otterstat earlier this year. I just put a
shrink tube boot over it the other night while investigating.
The wires were damp, but I replaced the red gasket when I replaced the
switch last time.
It has been three or four years since I did a total flush of the coolant,
but I have done some partials with other parts replacements, so I am
definitely due. Could this be the problem? The switch seems like it is
sealed and should be safe (duh, it is hot).
Ideas?

--
-Kevin

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:37:26 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more

Did you check all the little wire connections on the alternator? Especially
that one with the bullet or spade connectors, and grounds.

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:06:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The simplest thing to do would be to just put the Motorola back and
see if all the symptoms go away. It isn't that big a deal and it will
at least let you drive the car till you can talk to John. Anyway, if
you have to send the alternator back at least you will still be able
to drive the car! From the symptoms you describe it *could* be the
alternator or it can also be bad/dirty connections. When replacing the
Motorola make sure all the electrical connections are clean, shinny,
and tight. If the battery is over 5 years old have it tested or just
replaced.

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:07:47 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Where to Send Delorean Information

The question was asked as to who maintains the VIN list (found at
http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/img/news/n_vinlst.pdf ). Knut Grimsrud is
the keeper of the website. There are several of us who send him
information. Please check the website to see if your car is listed. If
it is not or if the information is wrong, send me an email. What we
are specifically looking for is:
1. VIN number
2. Orginal transmission type
3. Orginal interior color
4. Manufacture date
5. Hood type (with or without grooves and gas flap)
6. City, state and or country of residence if not US.

We currently have logged about half of the Deloreans made.

If you have not registered as a Delorean owner in the Delorean Owner
Directory (DOD) go to http://www.dmcnews.com/directory.html and
register. Someone else maintains that.

Shannon Birdwell
VIN 16113

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:13:14 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

Yep, I have a new one sitting in the shop (one of the perks of being a
professional mechanic) waiting for some time to put it in.  That should
fix that problem, and make my wife much happier.  (It's her daily
driver)
Thanks all,
Matt Smith

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:59:41 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Re: lambda warning & would like tech advice

Actually Seafoam lists itself as a fuel stabilizer among it's various
attributes. It can also reduce combustion chamber carbon deposits when
introduced directly into the intake.It's been recomended by auto enthusiasts here in Minnesota for years and is the stabilizer of choice by local talk radio car guru and ex-neighbor Paul Brand. I've been using it in my DeLorean every winter since I bought the car new in 1982 with no problems.

Bruce Benson

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 15:17:30 +0000
From: mike.griese_at_dml_worldnet.att.net

Put your old alternator back in.  It sounds like your new one
is now ballast.

-------------- Original message from "usndmc" <usndmc_at_dml_gmail.com>: --------------

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:09:55 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

  Check the tension of the alternator drive belt.  Other than that
you might have an alternator bearing problem, though that usually
dosen't cause a charging problem until it gets really bad.  Stranger
things have happened...
  You could also have a wiring problem between the alternator and the
battery.  The power from the alternator is not reaching the battery,
causing the alternator to put out its max output to try to bring the
voltage up, this loads the drive belt more and makes it slip.  Also
you could have a failing battery, not likely though.
  You should get a voltmeter and fashion some long leads (I use these
great retractable leads that are 10' long and wind back into a spool
for easy tangle-free storage).  First check your battery voltage
across the battery terminals while driving.  Should be 13.5-14.5ish
all the time.  Now hook one lead to the main output of the alternator
and one to the positive battery terminal (using those long leads) and
drive again, if you measure more than 0.5v you have a problem.  Now
do the same between the alternator case and the negative battery
terminal.  Again, more than 0.5v is a red flag.
If the battery voltage is really low and there is no drop in the
cables, and the small wires on the alt are correct, you have an
alternator problem.  I would check the belt tension first.  Also try
turning on the high beams and the blower, and the A/C.  Really load
the system to see if you can get the problem to duplicate in your
driveway.
  Hope this helps,
Matt Smith

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:09:43 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Where to Send Delorean Information

Actually the "Directory" process feeds into the VIN Chron process.
Although they are independent efforts, data submitted to the
directory will make it into the VIN analysis, the other way around
may or may not (some folks don't mind being "analyzed" but don't want
their names in the listing).

Our biggest current challenge is keeping up with cars that change
hands, since sellers don't usually bother to update the process.
We're working on that one. . . .

Ken Montgomery is the keeper of the Directory, and Knut Grimsrud is
the keeper of the VIN Chron Analysis. It's best to submit your
updates via the site mentioned.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_u...>

Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 12:44:57 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: I joined the engine pulling club (encore)

In a message dated 11/8/2005 3:27:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com writes:

Did you  leave the trans in the car? That would make a difference.

Dave  Swingle

I left the tranny in the car
Never came close to the rear fascia

Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:27:39 +0000
From: "Charles Major" <charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Clean out Fuel distributor

I have had my distributor off the car (lines off) for about 3 months and
that gas was 8 months old then. As I am about ready to wrap up my repairs I
dont want junk going to my new injectors or going to my clean tank. Idea,
with the injector lines off how about I run the pump for a second or two to
push out the gunk? Want to ask cuz I know these things are not forgiving to
anything outside the norm.
Charles