Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2977
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:11 Nov 2005 01:29:05 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Safety, Proper Methods, and Procedures
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

2. Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

3. Re: Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

4. Re: Stainless Wipes
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

5. Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: DMA Holiday Party 2005 - Philadelphia PA
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

7. Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

8. Reinstalling lower louvers.
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>

9. Looking to purchase a Delorean
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:39:17 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Safety, Proper Methods, and Procedures

I will always offer the "correct" way to work on cars. I may mention
shortcuts but if is possibly unsafe or "not the best way" I will
usually add a disclaimer. Of course anyone working on their car can do
whatever they want but it is usually better to be "safe than sorry".
Hitting the steering column with a hammer is NOT recommended. This
doesn't mean you WILL damage it, it just menas the likelyhood is very
high that it will not work as intended in case of a crash. In your
Workshop Manual just before the Table of Contents there is a paragraph
of General Safety Hints. They are not complete but the idea is that
you should work safely. Even if you don't think of yourself, think of
your family, and maybe the next owner. Sometimes the damage you can
cause is not immediately evident. It may take a crash to find out you
had compromised the ability of the steering column to collapse
properly. Using a hammer on the steering wheel is generally accepted
to be a "bad" thing. Imagine if you did that with an air bag! Maybe it
could go off and break your neck! Why do it that way when it is simple
enough to use a puller? Some other "No-No's" include heating and/or
bending suspension parts, messing with the torsion bars without the
proper tools, working on the electrical system without disconnecting
the battery (depends on what you are actually doing) working on the
fuel system without taking proper safety precautions, using the wrong
tool or a broken/damaged tool, etc. Consider this a hobby, why would
anyone want to get seriously injured Or maybe killed by their hobby?
Anyone on the DML should be informed enough so they can work safely
and if they don't it is becasue they choose not to. Just be aware that
people sometimes offer techniques that are not always the safest way
to do things. One notorious one that comes to mind was the one that
you could remove the doors WITHOUT REMOVING THE TORSION BARS!!!!
Novices should not attempt shortcuts, they do not always realize all
of the implications and dangers.

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 16:40:55 -0000
From: "Qume Fox" <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Possible Alternator trouble and more

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Minor
<malletslinger_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> The problems Dave described sound very similar to the
>> problems I was having with my camaro a couple weeks
>> ago.  The problem turned out to be my mass air flow
>> sensor and relay...in fact, the MAF sensor actually
>> started having problems right after I replaced the
>> alternator...coincidence?, maybe  ;)
>> Would I be wrong to assume that Deloreans have an ECM
>> to control the fuel inj. system?
>> If it does, can anyone tell me what sensors are
>> included in the system? Does anyone know where I can
>> find out?
>> Just trying to satisfy my curiosity...Thanks
>> Jon Minor(no vin)

It's nothing even remotely similar. The fuel injection on the delorean is
mechanical. Our cars don't have EFI like your camero (well at least not
stock ones.) The only two 'sensors' if you will, on the delorean are the
flap plate that swings and moves a plunger in the fuel distributer that
meters the fuel. Basicly air flowing into the engine causes the plate to
get pushed down, which tells the fuel distributer how much air the
engine is pulling in, and meters the fuel to the injectors accordingly. The
only other thing there is is the oxygen sensor, which controls the lambda
circuit.. The lambda controller is the closest thing to an ECU you'll find in
the delorean, but the lambda is mainly there for emissions control. the
system doesn't have the ability to change the mixture to a great extent.

Chris
VIN# 03209

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:24:15 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: Re: Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?

I had a similar issue after I got my DeLorean.  I just thought
DeLoreans had really pathetic performance (I knew they weren't
exactly the fastest things out there); in reality, the transmission
had been rebuilt by someone who didn't know DeLoreans, and the torque
converter from a different car had bee put in.  The net result was
that although the car shifted gears properly, it acted like it was
always in 3rd.  This made going up a hill from a stop or any kind of
acceleration in traffic difficult at best.

Finally, the strain became too much, the transmission destroyed
itself, and I had to get a new one at DeLorean Motor Center.  The car
runs a lot better now, although most any other car on the road can
out-accelerate it.  :)

Admittedly, this was a pretty unique case.

-- Joe

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:44:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Wayne Wagner <dmc-2447_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Stainless Wipes

I haven't tried that brand yet, but I have used Magic
Stainless Steel Wipes (or is it Stainless Steel Magic
Wipes?).  Picked it up at Wal~Mart.  I would usually
hand buff with a dry towel afterwards.  Turns out
nice.

Regards,
Wayne / VIN2447
www.AA9DY.com

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:02:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Jonathan Minor <malletslinger_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.

Maybe wheel bearings, tires unbalenced, or wheel
alignment...just a couple possibilities.
Hope this helps
Jon (no vin)

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:37:00 -0500
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: RE: DMA Holiday Party 2005 - Philadelphia PA

Reminder!  Don't forget to sign up for the DMA Holiday Party!!!!

  _____

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:22:11 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Many high-performance (especially "gatorback" tread) tires get very
noisy as they age. This is what I'd suspect first. (Many years ago
when these tire designs started showing up, on another car, I
actually had a dealer change out a differential under warranty trying
to find the noise - when I changed the tires it went away.)

Usually bad wheel bearings show up on turns one way or the other, in
a straight line I'd suspect tires.

CV joints get sloppy, i.e. the clunk as you get on and off the gas.
They don't get noisy.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean"

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:47:32 -0000
From: "jrc2905" <jrc2905_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Reinstalling lower louvers.

Reinstalling lower louvers.

I did some repair work to my rear louver. Now I need to reinstall the
two small louver sections. They were held in by some sort of foam
material. What is used for hold these two sections in place?

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:08:14 -0000
From: "valleyrat12" <valleyrat12_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Looking to purchase a Delorean

(Moderators Note: Please respond directly to Nathan if you can assist him. We will not turn this into any sort of ongoing thread. Marty, this weeks moderator)

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a drivable Delorean, does not need to
be perfect. Just no rust, severe body damage, or shot engine/tranny. I
would prefer one that has not been sitting for millions of years.
Painted OK. High mileage OK (if maintained properly. Looking to pay
under $7,000. I am in Los Angeles.

Nathan

valleyrat_at_dml_gmail.com
(310)907-6854