Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2978
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:11 Nov 2005 23:43:02 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Looking to purchase a Delorean
From: "That Werks" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>

2. Re: Pre-production car feature: more early parts
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

3. Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. De Lorean Photomosaics
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: Safety, Proper Methods, and Procedures
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. Car Covers
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

7. Re: For sale $13K
From: "N" <teknophyle83_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>

9. Re: Wires at Throttle Linkage
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

10. Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

11. Re: Bilstein Shocks
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: Wires at Throttle Linkage
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

13. Re: Car Covers
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Pre-production car feature: more early parts
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. sand paper flapper wheel
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Melted Fuse.
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>

17. Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

18. Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

19. De Lorean Photomosaic
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Re: Pre-production car feature: more early parts
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

21. Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:54:42 -0500
From: "That Werks" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>
Subject: Re: Looking to purchase a Delorean

$7,000.00 for a DeLorean almost always dictates some needed rehab. In most
cases, to make it safe to drive...if it's even driveable.

-- Christopher Sztybel Lead Designer, That Werks ----- Original Message ----- From: "valleyrat12" Subject: [DML] Looking to purchase a Delorean

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:15:16 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Pre-production car feature: more early parts

John and others,

This is a great example of a pre-production part.  Was the test
part "vented" in any way, with holes or slots?  Any close photos?

With this topic at hand, I would like to mention that there were
many pre-production or test production parts that were fitted to
several dozen early Deloreans, designated as "engineering cars",
but even with these parts, they are not pre-production DeLoreans.

Yes, most if not all of the first 50 to 70 DeLoreans were built
prior to the use of the factory assembly line and Tellis carriers
but these were hand assembled "in place" and moved all around the
assembly area "by hand", but pre-assembly line and pre-production
do not mean the same thing and many of these engineering cars had
changes made to them AFTER they left the factory.

Early DeLoreans will be the focus at DCS 2006 "early" on Thursday,
so if you want to get up close and personal to see some early test
parts on some early DeLoreans, make sure to be at DCS 2006 early,
to get the real scoop on what was really used on early DeLoreans.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> In the pre-production DeLoreans (or at least some of the pre-
>> production cars), they had an additional fiberglass panel under the
>> rear fascia, which would mask the view of the frame of the car from
>> behind. You can see it in the following picture:
>>
>> http://www.deloreans.co.uk/features/forthcomingevents/event_005

(1).jpg

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:39:20 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.

Matt,

Have you checked your tire pressures lately?

Dave is certainly much more of an expert than I when it comes to
noises on DeLoreans and noises made by different kinds of tires on
DeLoreans.

I also had a hum/vibration with my car, usually in the 50 mph-70 mph
range and almost always just on certain stretches of road. The worst
was on raised (elevated roadway/overpasses) or grooved pavement.

It still happens, but it was significantly reduced when I adjusted
my tire pressure to the recommended pressures.  The ride also
improved noticeably.

Marv

>> Many high-performance (especially "gatorback" tread) tires get

very noisy as they age. This is what I'd suspect first.

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:40:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: De Lorean Photomosaics

Yay! They're finished!

Here's the wallpaper versions:
(They're large so everyone can resize it to their own screen size)

http://img321.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deloreanphotomosaic2wallpaper4.jpg

http://img321.imageshack.us/my.php?image=deloreanphotomosaic1wallpaper6.jpg

Hope you like! Let me know what you think of them.

If you want to buy a full size poster of either of them or a calendar with thirteen different mosaics go to the cafepress.com store I just opened: http://www.cafepress.com/chucksdmcstore

Special thanks to everyone who let me use thier De Lorean pictures, and an extra special thanks to Dave1982 who took the time to make a cd of pictures to send me, and to TheSmokingMan who's pictures I used for two the main images, and some of the calendar images.  Thanks everyone!

Chuck McKnight

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 22:39:45 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Safety, Proper Methods, and Procedures

I totally agree, safety should be first and foremost on everyones
mind when working on anything.  As an avid RC modeler, safety is
always an issue.  Spinning propellers, fuel, spectators, high speed
flying objects..., one must always keep safety in mind.  It's just
plain common sense and common courtesy to others that may be around
when you are driving the car, or even working on it.  And if you do
something that causes injury or worse to someone else by not taking
safety into account, I don't want to be you.  Accidents do happen,
but carelessness is not an option.

So everyone, take precautions before you do anything, it's all just
common sense.  If your working under the car where something may
fall into your eyes, wear safety glasses.   Working around crush
components, don't use a hammer, hammers are designed to crush.  Etc.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>
wrote:

>> I will always offer the "correct" way to work on cars. I may

mention shortcuts but if is possibly unsafe or "not the best way" I will usually add a disclaimer. Of course anyone working on their car
can do whatever they want but it is usually better to be "safe than
sorry".

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:14:17 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Car Covers

All,

Today the winds were really high around here, and when I got home the
car cover had blown off/wrapped around one of my cars.  Does anyone
have a way to ensure they stay on tight?  I do have a stock locking
cable on the cover, maybe someone knows a way to make the cable tighter?

Thanks,

Bernie

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:40:56 -0000
From: "N" <teknophyle83_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: For sale $13K

I'm picking up this car tomorrow night.   :)

The car does look great, I went and looked at it last weekend.  I
can't wait!

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> If you go to the section on DMCNEWS "DeLoreans for sale" you will

see a car in Little Rock Arkansas going for $13,500. If you are
wanting a car for that price range then that car is a perfect match.

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:53:54 -0500
From: Peter Lucas <lucas_at_dml_Maya.com>
Subject: Re: Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?

On Nov 10, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Joe Angell wrote:

>> I had a similar issue after I got my DeLorean.  I just thought
>> DeLoreans had really pathetic performance (I knew they weren't
>> exactly the fastest things out there); in reality, the transmission
>> had been rebuilt by someone who didn't know DeLoreans, and the torque
>> converter from a different car had bee put in.  The net result was
>> that although the car shifted gears properly, it acted like it was
>> always in 3rd.  This made going up a hill from a stop or any kind of
>> acceleration in traffic difficult at best.
>>
>> Finally, the strain became too much, the transmission destroyed
>> itself, and I had to get a new one at DeLorean Motor Center.  The car
>> runs a lot better now, although most any other car on the road can
>> out-accelerate it.  :)
>>
>> Admittedly, this was a pretty unique case.

Well, actually, it is not so unique.  Almost exactly the same thing
happened to me:

My transmission gave out, so I bought a NOS transmission and matched
torque converter from a highly reputable vendor. I put it in (without
ever removing the converter) and had exactly the same "no power"
symptom that you describe, and with the same final catastrophic
effect on the transmission.   Upon investigation, we discovered that
transmission came (apparently from the factory!) with the wrong
converter.  The only apparent difference was that the bad converter
had a course spline on one of the shaft fittings, rather than the
correct fine spline. So, I guess this is something worth checking.

The end of the story, BTW, is that, since I was dealing with a
"proper vendor"   :-) , he stood behind the sale, and made it right.

--Pete Lucas

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:41:41 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Wires at Throttle Linkage

In a message dated 11/10/2005 2:41:25 P.M. Central Standard Time,
charlesmajor_at_dml_hotmail.com writes:

There is  one black quick disconnect and one white that run together. Do
they both  connect or is one a dead end? If not I got a lost wire
somewhere???

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Charles,

That connector is for the automatic transmission. I assume you have a
manual.  I think every new owner asks about that!

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 02:31:02 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

I second the tires as the probable source of your noise. Been there
done that - more than once. Especially the Goodrich TA.

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:08:45 -0700
From: rodney rael <rodrael1_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Bilstein Shocks

Shain:
 I have been trying to find bilsteins for quite some time. I would be very
interested in seeing how it works out and part numbers. you can email me
offlist at rodrael1_at_dml_yahoo.com..
  Rod
vin 3300.

 On 11/8/05, Shain Brannan <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net> wrote:
I recently purchased a set of billstein shocks from a vendor that should match up with the DeLorean. I called a billstein rep in North Carolina, and they are supply me with a rear coil over kit to allow the stock shock and srping coil over setup to work.....the cost has been around $350

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 04:18:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I will take a wild guess and say you have a 5-speed. If that is in
fact the case YOU ARE NOT MISSING ANY WIRES. The black plug is there
if you have an automatic. You should also have only 1 micro that is
activated at WOT. BTW it is the black plug that is not connected to
anything. The white plug from the switch should go to the white plug
on the wiring harness. As is the case on most cars the wiring harness
has all the plugs for many different things, only the things that are
used in any particular car are actually used. If you keep looking you
will also find a plug above the fuse block behind the passenger seat.
It too should NOT have anything connected to it. Just make sure that
there is no way for the wires to get caught on the throttle linkage.
Strap tie them out of the way if you have to.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Charlesdos Mavor" <charlesmajor_at_dml_h...>

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:32:01 -0000
From: "Josh Porter" <joshp1986_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Car Covers

I bought a size 2 cover from walmart for $20.00. It fits perfect, and
to ensure that the wind does not blow it off there is a rope that comes
with it and there are two holes made in the cover, in the middle of the
car.

Josh
10989

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:14:26 -0000
From: "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Hi Rich,

I'm a bit confused by your email - are you asking me if the part was
vented in any way? Unfortunately I don't know anything about this
part except for having noticed it in a few pictures of pre-production
cars, so I'm looking for information on this part too.

I understand the difference you are trying to point out between pre-
production cars and engineering cars. But the reason I called this a
pre-production car is the fact that this picture appears to have been
taken at Lotus in England. Also, it has sliding windows which I
thought makes it a pre-production car. And, side marker lights at the
very back of the rear fender, touching the fascia. Would this not
make it a pre-production car? It does in my book!

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:09:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Jamie Hamlin <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: sand paper flapper wheel

Does anyone know the grit sand paper for the flapper wheel to regrain the stainless
panels?
Does anyone know where I could buy one of these tools?

Jamie Hamlin
Vin# 2606
Vin# 5677

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:54:17 -0000
From: "Bill Koenig" <dmc06976_at_dml_mail.com>
Subject: Melted Fuse.

In troubleshooting a problem I had been having with exterior &
interior lights, I checked my fuses a second time and noticed that #8
had melted. I had this same problem before and it was only
intermittent at that time and the fuse was okay then.

I am hoping that the problem was limited to my headlight switch.  Two
of the plastic prongs that fit into the contacts were starting to
melt.  I am going to buy the headlight switch saver and thankfully I
can salvage my headlight switch.  Could the headlight switch have
caused enough resistance to melt the fuse inside the fusebox?

After replacing the fuse and installing a fuse extender, how should I
go about checking for shorting/grounding issues elsewhere? Would just
cleaning the contacts and checking the lights on the circuit for this
fuse be sufficient? Could the fact that my headlight switch was
slightly melted have caused the fuse to melt in the fuse box?

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:25:51 EST
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?

"Prototype"

"Pre-Production"

"Pilot Production"

"Job One"

"Engineering  Cars"

"Early Cars"

"Mid Cars"

"Late Cars"

"Gold Cars"

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:25:42 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?

A very important reason to buy from a Delorean vendor. In most cases
they WILL stand behind the parts they sell. BTW whenever I rebuild an
automatic transmission I always have the torque convertor rebuilt.
Especially on Deloreans, there is no good way to flush out the old
fluid and dirt. There is also a plastic thrust washer in the NOS
pieces. When I have them rebuilt they use a bronze washer. A simple
test to determine if you have the "right" torque convertor, a
stall-speed test. Easy to do but possibly dangerous. It is basically
done by making sure the car can't move and seeing what the engine revs
up to a WOT in drive. It can destroy the transmission and if the
brakes don't hold the car can lurch forward so it isn' recomended.
Another point, the torque converter is also known as a torque
multiplier. It does it hydrolicly. It is dependant on the # of blades,
pitch, distance etc. Not having the "correct" torque convertor can
make a BIG difference.

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:34:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: De Lorean Photomosaic

Here's the wallpapers for the 13 calendar images:

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/1170/calendarcover3ku.jpg

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/2812/calendar018fu.jpg

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/3696/calendar023sy.jpg

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/2899/calendar034tc.jpg

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/6169/calendar044te.jpg

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/7936/calendar052fv.jpg

http://img494.imageshack.us/img494/2079/calendar068mz.jpg

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/4764/calendar078kz.jpg

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/2096/calendar082od.jpg

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/7932/calendar092md.jpg

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/1079/calendar104pn.jpg

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/8652/calendar115gj.jpg

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/9282/calendar122bg.jpg

Chuck McKnight

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:28:23 EST
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Pre-production car feature: more early parts

The "last prototype prior to production car" has a different front spoiler  &
air inlet screen, than the "Production cars"

The production cars have the square screen, where the last prototype has a
plastic louvered slat "window blind" look to it...interesting.

Later,
Mike Pack

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:03:29 -0000
From: "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_juno.com>

  You'd be surprised at how often things like that happen even at the
professional level.  Just yesterday I was installing a new radiator
in a Ford truck, when I compared the new radiator to the old one on
the shop floor, the new one was an exact mirror image of the one out
of the truck.  The service manager called the supplier and they
assured us that the part number they sent was correct.  Some calls to
other suppliers confirmed that the number we had was correct.  Just
for grins we ordered another radiator with the same number.  This one
was correct, the first had been misboxed at the manufacturer.
  Amazing how often this happens, even from dealerships.

  We are lucky with our D's, that we have several dedicated and
knowledgeable vendors who are willing to help with advice and
support, and who are there for us when we need them.
  My thanks to all those who help keep our great cars on the roads.

Living the dream,
Matt Smith