Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2979
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:13 Nov 2005 00:41:49 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Pre-production car feature: more terms, more confusion
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>

3. Re: Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>

4. Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Yahoo Email Bouncing
From: "Todd Nelson" <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>

6. Re: sand paper flapper wheel
From: "That Werks" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>

7. Lotus 06. 3rd and 4th of June 05
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

8. Car Cover hold down...
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

9. Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Noise Dampening Material for Doors
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

11. Vendor Experience
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

12. RE: Yahoo Email Bouncing
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>

13. De Lorean accent side strpes
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Noise Dampening Material for Doors
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

15. Re: sand paper flapper wheel
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

16. Re: Car Cover hold down...
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:27:48 -0500
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?

sure - go ahead and define them!   ;)   I think I know what I would put for
each one.

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 19:41:33 -0000
From: "d_rex_2002" <rich_at_dml_outernet-tech.net>
Subject: Re: Pre-production car feature: more terms, more confusion

John and others,

Sorry if my response caused more confusion, since most of the
comments in that post were meant for others on the same topic
and only the first few lines were related to John Dore's post.
I guess I was trying to cover too many items with one post.
The car in the photo John posted is indeed pre-production, but
it may also be a late proto-type or possibly a pilot car too.

Recently, there have been posts and articles in DMC magazines
that have been using car production terms rather loosely and
have caused further confusion about what is "pre-production".
Mike Pack's post takes this even further, to other DMC terms
that are often used incorrectly or may still be open to debate.
Maybe DCS 2006 is a good place to discuss some of these terms.

In addition to Mike Pack's list, there are several other terms
related to DeLoreans that seem to vary from person to person,
vendor to vendor, and even expert to expert, including terms
like refurbish, restored, OEM or NOS updates vs. new updates,
and OEM reproduction parts vs. improved reproduction parts.
Clearing up these terms may help to avoid future confusion.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Dore" <dmcjohn_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> I'm a bit confused by your email - are you asking me if the part was
>> vented in any way? Unfortunately I don't know anything about this
>> part except for having noticed it in a few pictures of pre-

production

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:18:43 -0500
From: Joe Angell <jangell_at_dml_tmproductions.com>
Subject: Re: Re: General lack of engine power. what's going on?

>> Well, actually, it is not so unique.  Almost exactly the same thing
>> happened to me:
>>
>> My transmission gave out, so I bought a NOS transmission and matched
>> torque converter from a highly reputable vendor. I put it in (without
>> ever removing the converter) and had exactly the same "no power"
>> symptom that you describe, and with the same final catastrophic
>> effect on the transmission.   Upon investigation, we discovered that
>> transmission came (apparently from the factory!) with the wrong
>> converter.  The only apparent difference was that the bad converter
>> had a course spline on one of the shaft fittings, rather than the
>> correct fine spline. So, I guess this is something worth checking.

You're right, that sounds exactly the same.  Don at DeLorean Motor
Center showed me the two torque converters.  He found that the wrong
one looked almost identical to the right one, but the splines were
just a little different (I can't quite remember how) and it required
a fair amount of force to get it to fit onto the transmission.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing had happened here.  This
wrong torque converter was installed before I owned the car, so it's
possible that the whole transmission was replaced and that it came
with the wrong converter.

Andy: incidentally, my very unscientific 0-60 test with the wrong
torque converter on a mostly straight/flat road was about 18 seconds,
as opposed to the typical 8-12 seconds.  I also noticed that once I
got over 15 MPH it started to get some power.  It might be worth
trying a 0-60 test and see how it compares to the quoted performance
figures; if you haven't driven a DeLorean before, this might help you
gauge if the car is performing as intended or if it just seems slow
compared to your expectations.

-- Joe

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:44:30 -0000
From: "brandelorean" <brandelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Wierd Noise from everywhere.

Hey Matt,

Does it sound like your bearings?  Is it front or just back or all
4?  I'm pretty good at listening for problems in cars (always
diagnosing mine and friends') so if you'd like to finally meet up in
Denver sometime let me know.  If it is the bearings, let me know as
I have a press and can easily press new ones in for you.

Email me at Brandelorean_at_dml_Yahoo.com if you'd like for me to check it
out.

Brandon
Vin 3323

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "denverdelorean"
<denverdelorean_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> I am getting a wierd noise that I can only hear when the car is

moving

>> and usually only at high speed. It seems to corellate with how

fast

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:48:10 -0500
From: "Todd Nelson" <tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu>
Subject: Yahoo Email Bouncing

This might be more of a question for the moderators, but I have a feeling other people have had a similar problem.  Anyway, what's happening is every few days Yahoo will put me on the "bounce" list (which prevents me from getting mailings), I guess thinking that I am some form of "Spammer".  Which is odd since I am obviously not, nor do I get any spam, and the email I use is from an educational institute so I don't think it would be too high on the SPAM lists.  Every time I tell Yahoo to remove me from the list I get put back on a couple days later.  Any thoughts?  I've looked through Yahoo's site and can't seem to find any information that would pertain to my situation, so I thought I would ask.  I've also included below the information supplied by Yahoo that says why I was rejected...

Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=216.155.201.59: tan5732_at_dml_rit.edu
[RCPT_TO]

Sorry I don't have more of a Delorean related question   :-)

Thanks,
Todd Nelson
1561, Vermont
http://www.rit.edu/~tan5732

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:08:42 -0500
From: "That Werks" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>
Subject: Re: sand paper flapper wheel

http://www.dmc-service.nl/Producten/Producten_Frame_Body.htm

There is a product on there called  "Special stainless steel power brush ".

I've heard this is what is used to regrain, not polish/clean, the panels.

-Chris

-- Christopher Sztybel Lead Designer, That Werks phone: 908.209.1857 e-mail: csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com web: http://www.thatwerks.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamie Hamlin" <jamiepierce2000_at_dml_yahoo.com> To: <dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 10:09 AM Subject: [DML] sand paper flapper wheel

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:09:31 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Lotus 06. 3rd and 4th of June 05

  Dear All

I'm posting this off my own back simply because I would like to see/meet
some of our US friends at "our" event in addition to Eurofest in Belfast
the week before ( http://www.lotsoftens.net/JOHN/eurofest2006.html ) .
Details are a bit "up in the air" right now (so are Eurofest's!) but I
wanted to implant this in the general consciousness as something to aim
for in addition to Eurofest, being only a week apart.

I have nothing directly to do with the event other than being an active
member of the Delorean Owners Club UK (as well as co-owning DMC Ltd) and
being an active member of the US mailing lists.

Please contact Chris Parnham on secretary_at_dml_deloreans.co.uk for
details/booking info and the possible requirement to join the DOC UK in
order to participate. Our overseas membership is extremely reasonable
and the principle reason for membership as a requirement to attend the
event is to ensure numbers are controlled and funding is ensured  :-)

I'll leave the rest of the info to Chris in his own words.

Best Wishes

Martin
DMC Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 04:39:12 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Car Cover hold down...

For my cars I just buy some spring clamps from Ace hardware or home depot.
They are about 6 inches long.  Simply put one on the front bumper and rear.
Quick to put on and off and cover never ever comes off.
-Alex

Quote"All,

Today the winds were really high around here, and when I got home the
car cover had blown off/wrapped around one of my cars.  Does anyone
have a way to ensure they stay on tight?  I do have a stock locking
cable on the cover, maybe someone knows a way to make the cable tighter?

Thanks,

Bernie
"

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:38:02 -0800 (PST)
From: George DeLorean <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Here's my ideas going by what the terms currently are:

   Original      New

>> "Prototype"---Protos
>>
>> "Pre-Production"---Preps
>>
>> "Pilot Production"---Pilots
>>
>> "Job One"---Joes
>>
>> "Engineering  Cars"---Ringers
>>
>> "Early Cars"--Rileys
>>
>> "Mid Cars"---Mids
>>
>> "Late Cars"---Laters
>>
>> "Gold Cars"---Goldies

Hope that makes a difference.  George D.

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:55:55 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Noise Dampening Material for Doors

Has anyone ever put any noise dampening material in the doors and if
so, what did you use and where did you get it? Does it work well? Does
it add much weight to the doors?

Shannon

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:18:19 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Vendor Experience

Regarding the posts on buying from the Delorean vendors, how they
stand behind their work / parts,  thought I'd pass along a recent
experience.  I had ALOT of work done at DMC - Florida in the summer,
including a new alternator.  The alternator recently went bad (these
things can happen with anything you buy). I called Tony, he sent a new
one via overnight mail right away, and a prepaid mailing slip to send
the old one back.  No problem whatsoever in getting it replaced.
Overall a great experience there, something you might not get from non-
Delorean type vendors.  The car is running great.  I know this sounds
like an advertisement, but when you have a good experience with a
vendor, it's important to pass that information along.  PJ Grady and
DMC - Houston have been great too, haven't had work done on the car
from them, have bought parts and received great advice, very service
oriented and sincere about helping us out.

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:43:51 -0800
From: "Gary Hull" <Specialty_at_dml_IN2TIME.com>
Subject: RE: Yahoo Email Bouncing

Todd,

This is just a generic answer, but generally an email server's IP address is
what gets blocked, and everyone using it is therefore blocked. This can
happen because someone at rit.edu is deemed to be spamming, or because the
rit.edu server has been used to relay spam.

Gary
IN2TIME

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:50:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Chuck McKnight <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: De Lorean accent side strpes

I need some good pictures of the De Lorean accent side stripes for I project I am doing. I especially need pics of the thin gray side stripe, but I could use some of the thick black one too.

What I need is a full resolution pic of the whole side of the car (preferably the left side), a close up pic of the DMC logo, and close up pics of the ends of the stripe.

If anyone has some pics like this or could take some for me, I would be very gratefull. Thanks in advance!

Chuck

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 11:45:47 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Noise Dampening Material for Doors

birdwell77095 wrote:

>>Has anyone ever put any noise dampening material in the doors and if
>>so, what did you use and where did you get it? Does it work well? Does
>>it add much weight to the doors?
>>
>>Shannon
>>VIN 16113

About the only thing you could use on the doors is dynamat (or other
similar products like it) It's basicly a thin sheet of rubber or asphalt
based material (depends on the brand) with an adhesive backing.  The
stuffs quite heavy though, and you'd have to apply it to nearly every
surface inside the door for it to be effective, so your probably looking
at 8-10 lbs increase in door weight.  Personally I wouldn't recommend
it. I have no clue how it would effect torsion bar/strut performance and
life. I'm fairly sure a torsion bar adjustment would be needed
afterwards with any weight increase or decrease in the doors.

Another option I guess would be to stuff the doors with closed cell
foam. Don't use open cell because it will soak up water like a sponge.
The downside to this is you'd render your windows inoperable. My advice
would be to just leave the doors alone and soundproof the rest of the
car as well as you'd like. After all. it's the body that conducts the
majority of the road noise anyway, not the doors as they're fairly
isolated from the body by the door seals when closed.

VIN# 03209

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 09:50:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

What you need is a Sand-O-Flex with 80 grit.

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 21:59:15 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Car Cover hold down...

Thanks,

Thats advice I will use.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...>