Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2987
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:17 Nov 2005 19:12:31 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Front tires needed
From: "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

2. Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: DMCPROTO1_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: factory radio or aftermarket?
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

4. Idle Problems
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

5. Re: Idle Problems
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Re: New DMCH Performance Exhaust Inquiring feedback?
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com

7. Re: Idle Problems
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

8. Re: Idle Problems
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

9. Re: Idle Problems
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

10. RE: Minor Annoyance: Throttle lag prob.
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. ATTENTION: BAE Turbo Charged Delorean Owners
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Minor Annoyance: Throttle lag prob.
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

13. Re: factory radio or aftermarket?
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Emissions
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: Minor Annoyance: Throttle lag prob.
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

16. Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>

17. Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

18. Re: Emissions
From: "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_delorean.com>

19. Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

20. Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

21. Re: DeLorean Proto (was terms)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

22. Re: Minor Annoyance: Throttle lag prob.
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. RE: Idle Problems
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

24. Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:29:07 -0000
From: "Cliff Wallace" <thereddog_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Front tires needed

Hello All, I had posted a message on the DeLorean Cars,
Parts, and Memorabilia wanted, but incorrectly stated
Goodyear Eagle GT IIs. I actually needed Goodyear Eagle ST's
for the front only which Goodyear discontinued (p195/60/14)
Anybody have a front set of
these; new or used?

please email to: dmcfuture_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

thanks, Cliff

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:36:04 EST
From: DMCPROTO1_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Can we ALL come to a correct definition of these DeLorean terms?

Thanks for clearing that up, I don't want to argue with anyone. I just would
like to help get a clear definition of what cars should be categorized as. At
least the ones that are left.

Tony

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:16:50 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: factory radio or aftermarket?

I would keep the radio and mounting plate.... I removed mine and actually
sold it on eBay because I knew I would never put it back in.
Besides, it is pretty to go back to original.
There are plenty of original mounting plates and radios to be had out there.
I hung on to mine for about a year, and I had a special cassette shaped MP3
player
that fit right in the radio and played music....it was sort of cool having
the original radio
when showing the car.
But after using the car as a daily driver I decided I wanted to live in the
thing and enjoy it.
The deck I bought is sick, flip down face, 10 GB hard drive, Memory Stick
reader, CD player,
MP3 player, all sorts of bells and whistles. I spent about a grand on that
system.
Then I added a Garmin 2610 talking GPS system - a fantastic investment by
the way
just for the speedometer alone. It will let you see how fast you can really
go!

Anyway, you can replace your system pretty cheap, but unless you have a
really nice
bandsaw, or scroll saw, don't try to cut it yourself.
Just buy one from DMCH for $150.00.
For me, I justified the purchase because I sold my original plate and radio
for more than that
on ebay. Heck, after all the modifications I have done to my car changing
the radio is the least
of my worries.

With the exception of the types of things Rich W., Bob Brandys and Rick G.
do to their cars,
you can pretty much modify whatever you want on your car in respects to bolt
on modz
and always go back to original be simply replacing the part back.
This is the reason I sell my wire harness, it prevents the cutting of the
original harness
by letting you tap into it first, and then cutting on the adapter.
That being said though, if someone were to do a complete restoration on a
car and
were to replace the entire electrical system I would not be offended!

Good luck, and if you need any particular advice contact me directly off
list.
-Videobob

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:02:25 -0500
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Idle Problems

Once again I must ask for the assistance of the experts on the DML as I can't seem to solve an idle problem I am having.  Here's the background:I recently replaced the butterfly assembly in the air induction and everything seemed to go back together quite nicely.  Upon starting the car I found that the idle had jumped up to 3000 RPM so I began to systematically check the usual suspects.  All of the vacuum lines have been replaced and are connected, the brass screws on the assembly are tightened down,  the throttle plates seem to be operating normally, the microswitch has been adjusted, and the O rings in the air horn have been replaced to make sure they are not faulty.  Furthermore, the idle speed motor had previously been removed and tested by Dave Sontos when we were removing the air intake and was functioning properly.  When Dave and I were looking at this problem last week he found that with the idle speed motor disconnected the idle dropped to 2000RPM whereas before all of this occurred my idle sat at app.850RPM.  I'm certainly no expert on this matter but how could replacing the butterfly assembly cause this mess?  It seems most likely to be a vacuum leak somewhere but I'll be darned if I can find the source of the trouble.  Does anyone have some thoughts or ideas of what to try next?  My neighbors are getting WAY too used to seeing me hunched over the engine compartment of my car!

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:53:57 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Shepherd <chrisau79_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Idle Problems

Unplug the ECU and start it up. If it's back to normal, you need a new one. Coincidences happen.

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:31:07 -0500
From: kayoong_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: New DMCH Performance Exhaust Inquiring feedback?

Andy:

  I am not sure if the DMCH's Performance Exhaust uses a Flowmaster
muffler..... But according to the picture that they posted, it does
looks like one.

  If it is the Flowmaster muffler, I can tell you that Rob (PJ Grady)
and I had them in our cars.  He had one in his Green DeLorean and he
had it removed and it is now hanging in his inventory room's wall.  Rob
did replaced with a Borla muffler that cost him some $$$ (don't even
ask!) to special order.

  I had a complete stainless steel system fabricated with a Flowmaster
muffler installed in my DeLorean without consulting Rob and I should
had consulted with him as to avoid the COSTLY mistake.  Anyway, I had
the system for a very short period of time, some where of two or three
months and I then had the whole system removed and the original system
remounted back in my DeLorean by Rob.

  Anyway, what Rob and I both agree on is that the Flowmaster is too
noisy and I myself, I couldn't tolerate the "droning resonance" in
cabin that was produced by the Flowmaster muffler during the long
drives that I periodically do.  I drove back to the fabricator in New
Jersey some 60 miles away from NYC as to have them resolve the
resonance problem.  They call the Flowmaster company and Flowmaster
said that there is a "jacket" that could be fitted over their muffler
as to dampen some of the noise and resonance.  I didn't go with that
suggestion due to the issues that there is no room for the jacket to be
install between the muffler and the wall of the engine compartment.
Besides a jacket will is "ugly" and it will get sloppy in due time.....
BTW, I spent over a "G" note on the fabricated pipes with the
Flowmaster muffler and it turn out to be a failure.

  Two years ago, I ordered the British Stainless Steel System and I had
Rob install in my DeLorean.  (The system is beautifully made and
polished.  You would like to hang it in your living room as a work of
art.)  The Stainless System is noisy on acceleration, but without the
cabin resonance while cruising or driving.  I kind of wished that I
gotten the muffler with the "extra packing" as to make the system a
little more quieter.  FYI, the Stainless System is available in three
different packings.  Either packing allows more horse power as "pep."

  Anyway, Rob agree that my Stainless Steel System has slightly more pep
then his Green's DeLorean set up but with slightly more noise and my
DeLorean has just as much pep as the several DMCH cars that he has come
across.

  In closing and in my opinion, any DeLorean with the OEM exhaust
removed and a free flow system installed, a DMCH, a Stainless System or
otherwise..... They will give you some more pep .... Real noticeable
pep.

Now don't start asking me for dyno test as proof....... I hope that
helps.

 Kayo Ong
 Lic 9D NY

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:43:55 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

hi

when fully warmed up does the idle change?.

have you checked the y pipe sensors? and are the vacuum lines
definately all in the correct place? and all present.

Regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_c...>

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 00:58:17 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Check the resistance between pins 9 and 11 on the plug going to the
idlespeed ecu. If it's open circuit, your idlespeed thermistor, or its
wiring has failed. This is the most common cause of these symptoms. The
second being the ECU itself. A vac leak wouldn't cause a high idle
unless you fettled with the mixture at the same time, and it'd have to
be a hell of a vac leak with a lot of fettling to get it as high as 3000.

Martin

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 01:58:29 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Check the throttle cable to make sure it is fully inserted into the
ferrule by the throttle spool. Sometimes when working in that area you
pull on the cable and it does not go back in all the way by itself.
Make sure the throttle arm is returning all the way to the idle
position and tripping the micro switch. You could also have play or
have to adjust the quadrant link. It is the bar that connects the
throttle spool to the throttle arm. On the quadrant link there are 2
adjustable ball ends, miniature versions of the ones on the door
struts. On one end one is left handed and the other one on the other
end is right handed. They are also retained by small versions of the
wire clip so do not try to force them off without removing the clip!
By unlocking the ball ends (loosening the locknuts) you can adjust the
length of the quadrant link without removing the ball ends.

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 04:20:15 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Minor Annoyance: Throttle lag prob.

Sorry, its a 5-speed.  Is it possible I am not the ace driver I think I am?
My wife said it was probably my driving technique as well but I needed David
to make me believe.  LOL
-Alex

Quote:
A fact you did not mention is if your car is a 5-speed or an
automatic. This could be a big part of the solution. If it is an
automatic it could be a malfunctioning shift computer. If it is a
5-speed it could be your shifting technique.

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:04:16 -0000
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ATTENTION: BAE Turbo Charged Delorean Owners

I'm trying to put together a list of Delorean's that have a BAE Turbo
Charger installed. Pls send me your VIN #, remarks on condition of
engine performance, parts you need replacing, etc. List is for
archiving only not for comercial or spam. Thank you.

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:19:44 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

You don't mention what gear you are in at these speeds.  The lower
the gear, the more responsive the car will probably be to the
throttle, foot coming on OR off.  At least, mine seems that way.  For
a smoother ride for your passenger, perhaps you want to be in one
higher gear than you are in? Maybe let in the clutch and gently
downshift? I suspect, as others have alluded, that it's in your
technique.

Practice with an egg in the passenger seat.  :)

Marv
#10820

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> Aloha everyone,
>> My Delorean does something that is a minor annoyance to my

passenger.  When

>> the car is traveling under 30mph and I let off the gas the car kind

of lags

>> or "slows down to fast".  It kind of feels like i tapped the brakes

a bit

>> but I DID NOT.  It doesnt bother me because I have a hold of the

wheel and

>> know when its coming but my wife isn't a big fan.  Is this a

delorean thing

>> or is something else happening.
>>
>> Perhaps a throttle adjustment?  The car idles perfectly and

accelerates

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:41:52 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Well,

I have some pictures somewhere on another computer, but my 83 KAPAC,
16634 also has a Craig radio in it. But it is the same Craig as
installed into the 81's. I finally secured an almost mint ASI to
replace it, just need to buy a new ASI faceplate from DMCH to
complete the car. Just another weird 83 quirk I guess.

But to disprove the thought of them running out of ASI's in later
83's my other 83 KAPAC car, 16851 which is further down the line has
the correct ASI radio in it. Hmmmm?

Who knows? Guess it all adds to the mysterious lore of the Delorean
car. Makes neat stories to tell other DMC owners at least, if nothing
else.  :-)

Later,

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:09:51 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Emissions

You may want to be sure that you have a catalytic converter on the
car.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> Wonderful news in that vin 4258 failed its emissions idle test.
>> Readings at 686 RPM were 289 for HC and 4.25 for CO% when 220 and

1.2

>> are legal limits respectively.  I have read through my tech

service

>> manual and it says that I don't want to adjust the idle mixture

screws

>> since they are factory set and don't need subsequent adjustment.

So,

>> where should I start- is this easy as an air filter change (it
>> probably needs one) or is it the cold start valve or thermotime
>> switch, or a new direction completely.  BTW the same readings were

72

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:55:41 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

What it could be is that you are staying in too low a gear for too
long. Before slowing down try upshiftng to the next gear and use the
brakes to slow down. At 30 MPH you should be in 2nd or 3rd, not 1st.
Of course your technique can vary quite a lot depending on traffic and
hills. This is not a "Delorean Thing". Next time listen to your wife!
Another thing you can try is to let someone you trust and knows how to
drive a stick ride with you and ask him how it rides and let him drive
the car too. Everyone drives a manual transmission a little
differently, you should try shifting at different speeds. For economy
you always try to get into the highest gear the motor is happy with.
For performance you try to stay in the lowest gear for as long as you
can to keep the motor RPM's high. These are just general tips. Another
thing you can try is to just step on the clutch as you remove your
foot from the accelerator, shift to neutral, and use the brakes to
slow down.

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:58:48 -0000
From: "drdhdmd" <doctorDHD_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO

I also thought about an even fire cap as the possible problem.  Don't
know if there is on for our engine but someone may have inadvertantly
found one.

Dē & 6530

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 05:28:40 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Dave,
So,why is it CALLED  THE first Delorean prototype in SSI(pg 31 see
pic)by no other than Bill Collins himself.
Also a little history,the first Tucker proto was made(cobbled) from a
used car.It still to this day is considered their proto1.
You are missing the point,Since there were no Deloreans of any
kind,there was NO meaning of what would be the first Delorean
proto,since it was bought by the Company,as their platform to begin
the engineering of the DMC,the Red Rocket,became the Default first
Delorean "company" proto,just like Tucker did.It was not that the DMC
was going to look like a x19,that had nothing to do with it,it was
meant to steer the DMC engineers into the Development of a rear
engined sports car,just like proto1 did.At the time it was cheaper to
start off with a ready made work platform,(the red rocket)and
engineer to their specifications,for their concept,in a attempt to
develop the engineering of the DMC.
Again outside of the fact that proto1,had SS panels and gullwing
doors,and had the "looks",it too was mostly a engineering concept.

On your Delorean/Cadillac thing a good example would be:
Not that I really want to mention Tilley,but did not his
Delorean,become his prototype electric car,If he Had become big
business,that would be in his business history as his first
prototype.That is in fact what happened with the red rocket,it
became,DMC's first platform in which,to engineer/base (at the time)to
work from,to develop a production car,since they HAD no other
platform to base it on. If Bill Collins/SSI says first DMC proto,(the
red rocket)then who is to say it is not fact.Proto1 got it thru
default,since the red rocket got scrapped in favor of starting from
scratch again.
cbl

In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> The Fiat X 1/9 considered an "engineering mule" rather than a
>> prototype. It was a production car, with it's own real VIN, that

they

>> modified as a proof of concept.  Companies do this all the time.

It

>> has absolutely no design elements of the DMC other than the fact

that

>> the engine was in the back, which it already was on the X1/9

anyway. It

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 06:44:04 -0000
From: "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_delorean.com>

I will try those things out.  Generally the car runs well but
sometimes takes a few crankings to get started when its warm.  It
always starts right up when cold.  I bought the car with 4400 miles
on it and I have put on another 2700 myself in the last 3+ years
since.  I am willing to bet all of these components are the
originals since I have not yet done a tune up on it.  Does anyone
have Service Bulletins 30 and 40, to which the repair manual refers
regarding the high altitude emissions settings?  I got the car from
CA and was unaware of this because until now, I hadn't lived in an
emissions-testing-required county and hadn't a need to read through
that part the manual.

Thanks for all of your replies...
CRG

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...>
wrote:

>> Generally if you fail an emmisions test the thing to do is just do

>> regular tune-up. Of course this varies from car-to-car. On a

Delorean

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:00:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I don't know of a specific application, but it seemed
very possible.  And 99% of people would never notice
the difference in spacing between an even and odd fire
cap.  Easy enough to check with just a visual
inspection.  :  )

Steve

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:38:22 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Bill (or the editor of SSI) can call it anything he likes, he can call
an apple an orange too. It was a Fiat with a Fiat VIN, with some other
engine. It was an engineering test mule by any other name.

This is turning into a semantics argument that won't ever resolve.

Dave

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:15:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Jake Kamphoefner <jakekamp_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Proto (was terms)

cbl1739 <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Dave,
So,why is it CALLED THE first Delorean prototype in SSI(pg 31 see
pic)by no other than Bill Collins himself.

Yes, and everything written in print about the DeLorean is true.

>>Also a little history,the first Tucker proto was made(cobbled) from a
>>used car.It still to this day is considered their proto1.

Not quite.  The first Tucker used a highly modified Olds front-engine frame as a base.  Not much else remained of the Oldsmobile.  They used lots of donor parts from various cars and pounded out the steel bodywork by hand.  Keep mind, this was a post-war time when supplies were hard to come by.  This in no way compares to DeLorean using a Fiat to kick some drive train ideas around.

Jake Kamphoefner

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:29:36 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

I'll second David's suggestion to try using neutral more. Of course
it's not alway possible in traffic, but if you keep a sharp eye out
ahead and put the car in neutral early in the deceleration process,
you will be amazed at how far before a stop you can start gliding.
Your D will coast a long way with only a minor loss of speed and a
very smooth ride for you and your passenger.  I've passed some
people uphill in neutral. OK, maybe I was going a little fast to
begin with.  :)

I think you will also notice an improvement in fuel economy. I get
22-25 mpg around town with my daily driver, depending on how
aggressive I am when power is actually being applied...

Your brakes might wear a bit more driving this way, but I'm not sure
it's much different than trying to slow a car with an automatic
transmission, where I've never noticed any significant engine
braking from my other vehicles. I guess the transmission experts
could comment on that.

Marv
#10820

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:59:33 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

If I unplug the idle speed motor the engine will throttle right down and
eventually stall. When I plug the idle speed motor back in it goes full
blown back to 3,000 rpm.

I agree this points to the idle motor and the ECU. The question I have, is
there a sensor or wire that tells the ECU to adjust the idle speed located
on top of the engine where Mike was working that could have been shorted or
broken?

Dave Sontos

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:48:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Levy <malevy_nj_at_dml_yahoo.com>

prototype (NOUN):

1. An original type, form, or instance serving as a
basis or standard for later stages.
2. An original, full-scale, and usually working model
of a new product or new version of an existing
product.
3. An early, typical example.

While I agree that the Fiat *IS* an important part of
the DeLorean history, I don't see how it fits in to
any of the dictionary definitions of "Prototype"..  Or
course, this may open the debate on the definition of
"original"!  (OH NO!!)

Did Bill Collins use the word "prototype"?  Or did
Robert Lamm?

Did'nt Bill call Proto1 the first prototype?

Either way, I'd say whoever selected the word
"prototype" to describe the Fiat made an error.

--- cbl1739 <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Dave,
>> So,why is it CALLED  THE first Delorean prototype in
>> SSI(pg 31 see
>> pic)by no other than Bill Collins himself.

<SNIP irrelevant Tucker stuff>

>> You are missing the point,Since there were no
>> Deloreans of any
>> kind,there was NO meaning of what would be the first
>> Delorean
>> proto,since it was bought by the Company,as their
>> platform to begin
>> the engineering of the DMC,the Red Rocket,became the
>> Default first
>> Delorean "company" proto,just like Tucker did.It was
>> not that the DMC
>> was going to look like a x19,that had nothing to do
>> with it,it was
>> meant to steer the DMC engineers into the
>> Development of a rear
>> engined sports car,just like proto1 did.At the time
>> it was cheaper to
>> start off with a ready made work platform,(the red
>> rocket)and
>> engineer to their specifications,for their
>> concept,in a attempt to
>> develop the engineering of the DMC.
>> Again outside of the fact that proto1,had SS panels
>> and gullwing
>> doors,and had the "looks",it too was mostly a
>> engineering concept.

<SNIP irrelevant Tilly stuff>

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:24:20 -0000
From: "twinenginedmc12" <twinenginedmc12_at_dml_gendreaumicro.com>

Hello.

As someone who's been prototyping products for decades, I want to
blab about this.

Tony Ierardi's (sorry if I botched the spelling) Proto 1 is, in my
mind, the most important Delorean in the world.

The defining characteristics of the Delorean, the things that endear
it to owner and non-owner admirer alike, the things that made me
instantly want it, seem to be the exterior design elements, that is,
the gull wing doors, the low styling, the stainless steel color.
Nobody ever walks up to my Delorean as says:  "Wow, how cool is that
engine" or anything like that.

Proto 1 is the first car that embodies these defining traits, so it
deserves top billing.

Anybody can call the Fiat a prototype.  The variety of definitions
for the word prototype are varied.  You could call the Fiat a drive-
train prototype.  You could call Proto 1 a styling prototype.
Technically that may be correct.  In fact, I could call MY Delorean a
prototype if I felt like it, though I'm unclear what exactly one
would consider it a prototype of  :-)

We, as a collective group of Delorean owners, are very fortunate that
Proto 1 is still in existence, and is in the hands of someone who's
going to put it into a state where it will reflect with pride, the
heritage of our cars for decades to come, and I will defend Tony's
right to call it "the first".

Rick Gendreau