Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2990
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:19 Nov 2005 23:55:36 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Speedomter Calibration
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

2. High altitude adjustment
From: "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_delorean.com>

3. Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO - The Discovery
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>

5. Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

6. New DMCH performance exhaust info for Andy Lien
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Speedomter Calibration
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

8. Re: Speedometer Calibration
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

9. Re: Speedometer Calibration
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

10. Re: Speedomter Calibration
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 22:52:42 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Speedomter Calibration

All,

Does anyone know how to calibrate the speedo in a DeLorean?  I took my
car to work today and filled up at the gas station right across the
street, the mileage shown on the odometer is about 5 miles shy of the
44 miles I drive home.  Also there is a radar sign that tells what
speed you are going that I drive by everyday, it was saying I was going
36 and the speedo was registering close to 40.  Don't ask what the
speed limit is  ;)

Thanks,

Bernie

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 23:23:38 -0000
From: "vin4258" <vin4258_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: High altitude adjustment

Does anyone know about doing the high altitude emissions adjustment
mentioned in the service manual and detailed on Service Bulletins 30
and 40?  I don't think this has been changed on my car but should be...

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:45:04 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO - The Discovery

MAYBE what Andy has stumbled onto is the little known
"Proto43".  In this proto, Delorean was way ahead of
his time and developing an experimental engine control
system that could give significantly increased mileage
by dropping the 6 cylinder engine back to 3 cylinders
at highway speeds.  However, the switching device that
was being developed used a design similar to the
original door lock module and now Andy's is stuck in 3
cylinder mode.  I heard that there were some
schematics for "MileageZilla" to correct the problem,
but they never made production.  (I bet John Hervey
could fix Andy up with two relays and a paperclip!)

That Mr. Delorean always was one step ahead.

Sorry guys, but this problem was so weird, it needed
some humor.

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:46:35 -0600
From: <delornut_at_dml_peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: 911, engine running on 3 cylinders MORE INFO

 Is it possible that the wires are of the type that have the brass crimped
ends and the ends were somehow pulled loose so that they don't contact the
core of the wires? Did the dristributor cap get installed properly? There's
a tab on one side of the cap that matches a corresponding notch in the
distributor wall. It's possible to get the spring clamps secured on the cap
without it being properly seated. The problem has to be related to the
distributor and it's subsequent wirng.

Bruce Benson

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 02:09:41 -0000
From: "blackaddertoo" <blackaddertoo_at_dml_yahoo.co.uk>

hi
just take the plunge and change the arm and cap.
mine is off right now.
i gather you can do it with the fuel lines in place. ie remove the
air intake venturi bolts and slide across.

you can not really tell if the cap is good. sypmtoms indicate it may
not be.

Regards

Steve

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_j...> wrote:

>> I have no idea what could be causing this  :(  , or how to
>> intentionally cause it.  The block could not isolate the ground

for

>> only one bank.  The coil wouldn't cause only half the plugs to

fire,

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:10:06 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: New DMCH performance exhaust info for Andy Lien

Andy,

I made some posts on this subject last month. Go to these posts 57820. 57837 and 57853.

If you need more info e-mail me privately.

Dennis

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:35:57 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>
Subject: Re: Speedomter Calibration

Hi Bernie

Even though it might seem like one, those are actually two separate issues
you're talking about. Speedometer and odometer use different methods of
driving the mechanism. You do NOT need to do anything with your speedo or
odo. Besides, recalibrating the odometer involves changing parts and major
modification. There is no easy way of doing it.

>> Does anyone know how to calibrate the speedo in a DeLorean?  I took my
>> car to work today and filled up at the gas station right across the
>> street, the mileage shown on the odometer is about 5 miles shy of the
>> 44 miles I drive home.

Are you sure it's exactly 44 miles? The only way to know for sure would be
to use a GPS. If you are going by odometer from another car then that car
might be inaccurate. Besides, odometers are never perfect. Mine shows 102.4
miles for every 100 miles driven (checked with GPS)

>> Also there is a radar sign that tells what
>> speed you are going that I drive by everyday, it was saying I was going
>> 36 and the speedo was registering close to 40.  Don't ask what the
>> speed limit is  ;)

A speedometer that is within 10% of actual speed is considered VERY
accurate! And guess what... 99% of speedometers will actually show 10% more
than your actual speed.

The thing that can affect the reading would be different tires than those
used originally at the factory. Even if the size is correct. Tires from
different manufacturers differ in size. That will affect the speed as well
as odometer reading. The smaller the tire the higher the reading will be. In
your case where the odo is lower than you expected and speedo is higher I
would say that it's perfectly fine. The speedo is perfect and odo in your
OTHER car is probably going faster than it should.

I hope this helps

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
www.deloreana.com <- home of the convex mirrors - available now

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:13:26 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Speedometer Calibration

Not entirely correct. The DeLorean speedo is a typical late 70's
AC-Delco (GM) design that is magnetic. Even significant
re-calibration, like when converting from an 85mph to a 140mph speedo,
does not require changing any internal parts.

An electrical device is used to alter the strength of the magnet in
the speedo, increasing or decreasing the "drag" on the speedo needle
which registers speed.

For more info, contact me directly off-list.

James
james(at)delorean.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_p...> wrote:

>> Hi Bernie

(SNIP)

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:44:06 +0100
From: "Tom Niemczewski" <tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl>

Hello

You are correct when you are talking about the speedometer. This part is
driven by the rotating magnets. I was refering to the odometer which is a
direct drive system. Isn't it? It's been a long time since I've seen a
DeLorean speedo inside.... Correct me if I'm wrong.

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:09:10 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Tom Niemczewski wrote:

>> A speedometer that is within 10% of actual speed is considered VERY
>>
>>accurate! And guess what... 99% of speedometers will actually show 10% more
>>than your actual speed.
>>
>>The thing that can affect the reading would be different tires than those
>>used originally at the factory. Even if the size is correct. Tires from
>>different manufacturers differ in size. That will affect the speed as well
>>as odometer reading. The smaller the tire the higher the reading will be. In
>>your case where the odo is lower than you expected and speedo is higher I
>>would say that it's perfectly fine. The speedo is perfect and odo in your
>>OTHER car is probably going faster than it should.
>>
>>I hope this helps
>>
>>Tom Niemczewski
>>vin 6149 (in Poland!)
>>tomciodmc_at_dml_poczta.onet.pl
>>www.deloreana.com <- home of the convex mirrors - available now

This really depends on the make and model of the car, and can vary even
from car to car itself. However. I think that a nearly 5mph differece
going at only 30ish speeds is a bit much. I know most of the mechanical
speedometers in the vehicles i've driven in the past have usually
differed by that much at highway speeds (70mph or so) not at 30. I know
my 98 dodge intrepid is nearly spot on, showing 69.8 on the gps with the
speedometer showing 70, but it's speedo is entirely electric, no
mechanical parts in it beyond the pickup in the transmission, and it's
probably hall-effect.

I can think of only 3 things that are changable to affect displayed speed.
1) tire size, you'd have to go larger diameter to get a more correct
reading if the numbers posted are correct.
2) angle drive. Not sure exactly what differences can turn up here. but
if one or both gear diameters aren't right then it will effect output
shaft speed, which will send the speedo the wrong wheel rpm to the speedo.
3) the speedo itself.

I guess if you had a stroboscope and a way to drive the speedo out of
the car, you could just do the math using the correct tire sizes for the
front. (which would be a circumference of 72.9 inches, or 869 rotations
per mile, by the way) So assuming the angle drive has a gear ratio of
1:1 (I don't know if it does or not. Haven't looked that up) you'd
simply drive the speedo input at 869rpm and the speedo should, if
accurate, read 60 mph. Of course doing this would just tell you where in
the system the oddness in speed is coming from. not help you correct it.
I know of no way of adjusting these speedo's mechanically. I've never
had reason to ever dismantle one.

I guess the first and easiest thing to do would be to make sure your
front driver's side wheel was inflated to the proper air pressure, then
use a tape measure and measure it's circumference. If it's less than 73
inches, then your tires are at least part of your problem. If it
measures right, or relatively close anyway. your problem probably is the
speedo, unless others can note differences they've found in different
angle drive ratios.

VIN# 03209