Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2994
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:22 Nov 2005 15:25:38 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: The Bucking D....
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

2. Re: Re: IRS selling delorean at auction
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

3. Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. Re: Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE
From: "Christopher Sztybel" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>

5. RE: DeLoreans and Tow dollys
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>

6. Re: IRS selling delorean at auction
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: John Hervey is back
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

8. Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. RE: Special T Auto
From: "MATT CARPENTER" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>

10. Re: IRS selling delorean at auction (mileage error)
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>

11. Re: Re: IRS selling delorean at auction (mileage error)
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

12. Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

14. Re: Re-tint Lens
From: "Jeremy" <thesmokingman_at_dml_comcast.net>

15. Re: IRS selling delorean at auction
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. Re: IRS selling delorean at auction (mileage error)
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

17. Re: Re: Re-tint Lens
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

18. Re: Digest Number 2993
From: "blane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>

19. RE: Re: Re-tint Lens
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

20. Re: IRS selling delorean at auction (mileage error)
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

21. Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. RE: DeLoreans and Tow dollys
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

23. Re: Re-tint Lens
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

24. a few tech questions
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>

25. Re: IRS selling delorean at auction
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:26:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: The Bucking D....

I would suspect you knocked a vacuum hose loose around the Control
Pressure Regulator located on the left valve cover. Another
possability is a bad pick-up hose or out-of-place parts inside the
fuel tank. Sometimes when working on a car it is 3 steps forward and 2
steps back!

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:07:49 EST
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: IRS selling delorean at auction

You can get a great deal at the IRS auctions if you know what you are  doing.
One question that was asked is how do you bid?  You must attend the  auction
in order to bid since it is a public auction.  If it was  a  sealed bid
auction you could send a bid in.
    The highest bid above the minimum gets the  prize.  These cars are
released from the Federal Tax Lien by the sale  action.  You do not have to pay off
the liens to get the cars.  You do  need to see if there are any auto loan
liens on the vehicles because you would  have to pay those off to obtain clear
title.   The best way to find  out is to ask the officer in charge.  What to
ask?  (1) Are there any  liens or obligations against the vehicles that are
superior to the IRS  lien?  (2) Will there be someone  there to start the cars? (3)
What  are the minimum bids for each vehicle?  That should about do it.
    How do I know?  I retired a couple of years  ago from the IRS after 33
years of service.

Roy

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:35:59 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys

I have and have used a tow dolly. Some of the disadvantages are:
Some highways do not allow you on them with it
The towed vehicle MUST be insured and registered
You cannot use it on an automatic car unless you remove the half-shafts
You have to make sure that on a tight turn the fenders do NOT touch
the towed vehicle.
If you are pulling a "dead" car you have to have a winch to pull it up
onto the dolly
You are supposed to have Recovery Vehicle Stop,Turn, and Tail lights
on the towed vehicle
The towed vehicle is susceptible to damage from other vehicles since
it is on the road
You have to be extra careful going over sharp dips and driveway entrances
The towed vehicle needs to have at least 2 good rear tires
In general it is probably better and safer to have a full size
trailer, it just takes up a lot more room and is more expensive. Be
careful buying the dolly, make sure it is wide enough, a Delorean is
very wide. Also figure on replacing the tires if they are over 7 years
old and get a spare.

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:43:54 -0500 (EST)
From: "Christopher Sztybel" <csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE

That seems like a large jump twice a year. Any reason that you know of?
Labor costs going up or the scarcity of parts? I'd like to know why, just
because a refurb is something I've pondered.

-- Christopher Sztybel Lead Designer, That Werks phone: 908.209.1857 e-mail: csztybel_at_dml_thatwerks.com web: http://www.thatwerks.com

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:10:48 -0800
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>

Sean,  I've towed a 5 speed DeLorean behind my motor home for years with no
problems other than using up the rear tires on the insides due to angle of
the car to the road.  I've had to replace the rear wheel bearings too, only
once.  This may or may not be a result of towing on the dolly.  The front
end of the DeLorean is high enough to preclude being peppered with gravel
etc off of the road from the rear wheels of the MH.  However, the rear most
axel of the MH is rather far ahead of the DeLorean.  Towing behind any
regular auto may bring different results.  I suggest you go to www.pndc.org.
Click on GALLERY.  At the bottom of the page, click on IN2TIME.COM.  Click
on PHOTO GALLERY.  Scroll on down to see the Airstream Motor Home towing a
DeLorean on a dolly.  I've towed this DeLorean at least 30,000 miles over
the years.  Don't try this with an automatic with the rear wheels on the
ground.  Further, if you tow any DeLorean with the rear wheels on the dolly,
your odometer will spin BACKWORDS!!!
Hope this helps
Arnie #6292
Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club member since February 1983

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:16:56 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: IRS selling delorean at auction

This may be a real dumb statement, but has anyone
looked at the encumberences on these vehicles.  I may
be mistaken, but my calculations show that if you make
the minimum bid, and win, then you will owe $166,000
PLUS that minimum $16,000 bid!!!  Has anyone else
looked at the complete auction and seen something that
I missed??

Mike    TPS    1630

http://farechase.yahoo.com

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:30:13 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: John Hervey is back

John,

Extremely glad to hear you are recovering, do what the doctor says!
We can all wait for our parts (well at least I can), your health is
more important than anything, if we have to wait a couple of weeks
for parts so be it.

And check the side door at your shop!

Bernie Manderville
VIN 4045 and 6704

>>  Group, I would like to thank the people who have called and have
>> had concern about me. Here is what I going on.
>> As a lot of you know go to the AAPEX show and the SEMA show in Las
>> Vegas every year. It's about the only vacations I take, so this

year

>> I decided to do it all. On the last day of walking about 1 million
>> sq. feet I felt I was getting a cold so decided to sit out the

last

>> day while the fellow I go with walked the last of it. We caught

our

>> plane home that Friday night and I  got home Saturday morning

about

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:50:15 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet

All,

I actually bought my first D becuase I just liked the looks of the
car, I ran across it while looking for a '61 Chrysler Imperial.  I
didn't buy it for any "prestige" or anything like that.  Once I
picked it up and drove it home, I was hooked, what a great car,
great looks, parts available, a car I can work on.  And during my
very short ownership experience, I have learned much about the car,
the company, John DeLoreans vision, and the DeLorean community. I
bought the second one to keep it from going to someone who would not
take care of it.

I have had Corvette owners admire the car, as well as one Viper
owner.  Yes the cars do get a lot of looks, and can cause traffic
jams, and some really unsafe driving by others.  But I own my
DeLoreans because I really like the cars styling, history and
everyone else here that have the same feelings I do for the car.

Would I buy a Corvette, maybe, but its not a DeLorean.

Bernie
VIN's 4045 and 6704

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> I know a guy who scornfully told me that I bought the car because

of

>> the attention it gets me.  Duh!!!  That seems pretty much the

reason

>> anyone buys a sportscar, or even a non-sports car, they want
>> something special to be noticed.  I don't deny that at all. Funny
>> thing is he was talking about buying a Corvette, but didn't see

his

>> hypocrisy at all.  For me it's not ego, or trying to show off
>> financially (it's certainly not that), but instead it's one of the
>> coolest, sleakest looking cars on the road, that has an

interesting

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:12:50 -0700
From: "MATT CARPENTER" <mattdcarpenter_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Special T Auto

My order was processed today by John's shop.  So, seems like someone is
staffing.  Unsure about John's health.

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:42:56 -0000
From: "Eric" <hollywood2311_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: IRS selling delorean at auction (mileage error)

Since 4 of the 5 digits match, I would bet that either the individual
that did the inspection or the IRS simply misread the first number.

Eric C
VIN 1776

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:45:18 -0800
From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright_at_dml_gmail.com>

On 11/21/05, James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com> wrote:

>> According to Carfax, the car failed emissions earlier this year and
>> that time had 54,222 miles on it, not the 34,222 the IRS says it has.

Well, should we be surprised? They blatently steal large amounts of
money from each and every one of us. Can we really expect them to be
honest about a used car?  ;-)

Seriously, I wonder how many people bid on these IRS auctions, and if
there are any deals to be had. This particular auction is quite the
collection. If the cars are in reasonably good condition, one could
have a lot of fun with this.

--
- Ryan

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 01:28:55 -0000
From: "S" <theborderisopen_at_dml_yahoo.com>

It's at least a lot of fun to talk about.  People go to the Antiques
Roadshow to get values on things that they would never sell.  And so
it is with our cars.  IMHO, though I wouldn't want to see D's become
so rare and valued that they would return to snob status, I also
feel that the reason why they don't currently command much more has
nothing to do with what else is out there.  Consider this quote
about Harley Davidson:

"A top of the line Harley costs many thousands more than a
comparable import motorcycle, is less dependable, doesn't enjoy the
quality or workmanship, and won't even perform as well.   It isn't
even close.  So, why do so many people flock to HD dealerships and
wait in line for months for a Harley? Because they are sheep.  Why
does a Harley hold its resale value so well when all the cards are
stacked against it?  Because of one thing; image." (goingfaster.com)

Though he's clearly a Harley-hater (and I'm not,) he's right that
Harley resale seems aberrant of any supply/demand law.

If anyone wanted Deloreans to rise in price, if that was their goal,
the only way to do that is to boost the image of the car.  It's hard
to read anything about our cars that doesn't contain a number of
criticisms.

--S

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> All,
>>
>> I didn't mean this to become a big issue, I just posted about what
>> someone said, and asked if we all could agree about the value of

the

>> car.  To me, the car should acutally go for about $30K, in great
>> shape, a fully restored concourse car should go for about $45K,

and

>> I'm talking about a winner.
>>
>> Come January 1, 2006, the '81 cars become true antiques. Let's see
>> what the market does to the price of the car.
>>
>> We all own a very unique and special car, and we should all be

proud

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:00:50 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sean,

Been there, done that, (successfully), both manual and
automatic.  Contact me offline for details.

Mike    TPS    1630

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:12:29 -0000
From: "Jeremy" <thesmokingman_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Re-tint Lens

I used transparent glass paint to redo mine. You can find it in most
arts and craft stores and it's not too expensive. You will need a
bottle of red and one of yellow. Mix a few drops of the red in with
the yellow and then apply with a brush. Do a heavy coat (only one
coat) to make sure you don't end up with brush strokes and let it dry
for 24 hours, making sure to keep the tail lights level so the paint
doesn't pool. Don't touch it while it's drying or it will leave finger
print marks. It's a little tricky to do but I had good results.

Jeremy Delaney

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:50:41 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

one would attend the auction in person, with proof of money by bank
verification, and then one would bid and take the vehicles at time of
purchase.
- VB

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 02:26:40 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

Either way, if Carfax says it read 54,222, like it or not, that's what
prospective future buyers will see. I have seen ONE case where an
emissions/safety inspector wrote the wrong mileage (128,XXX miles when
it was really 28,XXX miles) and this was reported to Carfax. Only
through GREAT effort on the owner's part was he able to get this
corrected by the state, and then reflected in the Carfax database.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:41:08 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Re: Re-tint Lens

Jeremy wrote:

>>I used transparent glass paint to redo mine. You can find it in most
>>arts and craft stores and it's not too expensive. You will need a
>>bottle of red and one of yellow. Mix a few drops of the red in with
>>the yellow and then apply with a brush. Do a heavy coat (only one
>>coat) to make sure you don't end up with brush strokes and let it dry
>>for 24 hours, making sure to keep the tail lights level so the paint
>>doesn't pool. Don't touch it while it's drying or it will leave finger
>>print marks. It's a little tricky to do but I had good results.
>>
>>Jeremy Delaney

Another option would be to just replace your taillights. I'm thinking
about going this route with my D when I get as far as worrying about
cosmetic things like that. I notice DMCH has a full lighting kit that
has all four side markers, both tail light lenses, the license plate
lights, all four head lights and all the underlying gaskets for
everything for $340 or so. May be more than some want to spend, but I
figure since i'm doing a ground up resto on my D, I might as well make
everything perfect, as this will likly be the only major work I do to
the car for as long as I own it, aside from unforseeable future events
that could happen.  Basicly i'm choosing to put all my cash in up front. :D

VIN# 03209

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 21:48:01 -0400
From: "blane" <blane_at_dml_triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Digest Number 2993

Sean,

I have used a two wheel dolly many years ago to haul my DeLorean to a repair
center in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. from North Carolina. (approx. 600 miles).
They work great but be sure to use a safety chain and check the nylon wheel
straps VERY frequently to insure they don't loosen.  The wheels on the dolly
are designed to turn left and right as your car turns, therefore you cannot
back up with the dolly attached to the hitch.

I found out, the hard way, when you don't check the straps often enough and
when you try to back up!

Bill Lane

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:50:06 -0800
From: "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_BRCWEB.com>

On the inside surface or the outside?  Has it held up well?

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:39:57 -0000
From: "cbl1739" <cbl302_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

DON'T believe the hype! I was at a few IRS auctions(in my area) in
the past,for( vintage corvettes)and IRS makes sure that the cars
don't go for cheap,like foreclosed homes,there is a minimum,which is
high to begin with,that is started,there is no such thing as $100.00
winning bids,as some of those infomercials,make it seem like.
cbl

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:48:28 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

I forgot to mention a serious problem with tow dollies. It is NOT
recomended to back up with them!!! A trailer can be backed up.

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:07:09 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Tow dolly is not reccomended.
if you do, you need to two it backwards if it is an AUTOMATIC,
but make sure to dissconnect the angle drive on
the front drivers wheel, and dissconnect the speedo cable.
Also, either remove or tie town the rear louvers or they may blow off.
If you have the time, remove the front spoiler or the road might do it for
you.

If you can put it on a flat trailer, that is best.
Being a cheapskate can cost you more in the end.
- Videobo

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:18:31 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Thanks Jeremy. My RH lens has faded dramatically compared to the LH
lens also.  I had been assuming one lens had been replaced from a
different batch and the colors just didn't match in the first place.
If it is due to uneven fading, I wonder what it is about the passenger
side lenses?

Marv
#10820

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:23:31 -0000
From: "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: a few tech questions

Hello folks!  Some questions about my D:

#1 I just changed the water pump and all the coolant hoses. Upon
starting it up it idles perfect (as before) around 800 rpm.  BUT,
after I rev the engine or take it for a spin the throttle sticks
around 2000 rpms and will not go back down.  When i get behind the
car and pull the throttle thing back to slow it down all I get is
massive fluxuating Idle from 500-2000 rpm back and forth.  But, after
sitting 24 hours I start it again and its back to perfect idle untill
i rev again. So is this my throttle sticking? Or some sort of vaccum
leak? Keep in mind I just had everything apart from doing the water
pump.

#2 My battery is less than a year old. If I start the car every
single day I never have any starting/power problems. But, if I let
the car sit say, 3 days and I try to start it I get nothing. All my
lights come on but when I turn the key I get absolutly nothing. Now,
if I keep trying, eventually it'll turn over and its all good. The
longer it sits, the longer it takes to try to start it. But once I
start it, I can start it 100 times in a row without problems.  Is
that some sort of relay problem?

#3 When I turn the key to start the car the ignition switch/key
doesnt spring back to acessory... so after it starts i have to turn
the key back a little. Ideas?

Thanks sooo much. Details on the car:
vin 1495
24 k miles
alot of original stuff
temperature outside approx 45-50 (if that matters)

Thanks!
Jeremy Popp

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:29:40 EST
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

Mike.. Please see my previous posting.  The sale of these cars by  the IRS
will discharge any IRS Lien on them.

Roy