Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2996
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:24 Nov 2005 01:05:38 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment on,the Delorean Yet)
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

2. Cars at IRS Auction
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Looks like only Encumberances are to the IRS
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

5. Re: 2005 DeLorean Limited Edition Holiday Ornament
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Help needed on de-railed window
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>

7. Re: Cars at IRS Auction
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

8. Re: Looks like only Encumberances are to the IRS
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

9. Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

10. Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

11. RE: a few tech questions
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

12. Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

14. Re: Re: Cars at IRS Auction
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com

15. DMC (Texas) Operating Hours this Holiday Season
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

16. 1981 is the only real year for the Delorean
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:12:11 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment on,the Delorean Yet)

This is exactly what we are doing with the remanufactured cars.

Out of the 2800+ parts on the DeLorean, we carry over perhaps 20-25 from
the donor car. We're documenting a car that is undergoing this process
in the DMCHelp.com forums. The car is being prepare for Christian and
Melanie Jarzab of Arizona.

I can't say that D1 is doing this on their cars, but I get the
impression that they are not.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:57:11 -0000
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Cars at IRS Auction

Hi, I posted the original info for these items, and watch these
auctions religiously.  I have mainly bought stock and real estate from
the IRS, but never a vehicle.

Most of the time, the real estate goes for fair marktet value,
sometimes a discount.  The stock usually sells at a 3% Discount to
FMV.  From what I have heard, cars and equipment usually sell for
wholesale, but collector cars may be different.  Look at the post from
the former IRS agent, he knows the ropes.

Make sure you know about any prior encumberances on the titles that
may be superior to the US.

Good Luck

Pat Molamphy

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:01:05 -0000
From: "patmolamphy" <patmolamphy_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Looks like only Encumberances are to the IRS

So no telling if the sale has to meet the min 16k plus the
encumberances.
Pat

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:24:57 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE

Actually, it is more cost-driven than demand-driven, though the
current demand means we have been back-ordered at least one car all
year, and at one time as many as four.

The cost of suitable donor cars has been rising, and they are needing
more work to make into remanufactured cars, as well. It's about 480
man-hours per car at this time.

We are constantly upgrading the specification on the cars, including a
great deal of re-work on the underbodies on the last three or four
cars that earlier ones did not have. That is a significant added cost
in labor and materials.

We are still working hard to improve the warranty to a full, two-year,
unlimited mileage, bumper to bumper warranty. Current cars have a
two-year powertrain warranty. This full warranty, supplied by
aftermarket warranty company, will add significantly to the cost of
the cars, and we feel it will significantly add to the appeal of
buying a "25 year old car".

As with everything else, material costs are rising, as is labor and
associated costs - taxes and insurance to name a few. Weakness of the
dollar versus the pound and euro has been a big thing this year, and
rising interest rates affects more than motgages, too.

Those last couple things have a profound effect on the handful of
parts that we use in the remanufacturing process that are a pain to
get, particularly as we go "hand to mouth" on parts that either in
short supply or awaiting reproductions to be on hand.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

>> Econonomics - Supply and demand. This sort of thing is demand-driven,
>> not cost driven (to a point). They can only do so many a year, as
>> long as they have a backlog they can raise the price. If they stop
>> selling (or someone else floods the market with "re-manufactured"
>> cars for less money), the price will stabilize or go down. If demand
>> price goes below cost, they stop building them.

(SNIP)

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Christopher Sztybel" <csztybel_at_dml_t...>

>> of?

>> why, just

(SNIP)

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:34:41 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 2005 DeLorean Limited Edition Holiday Ornament

James,
I'm sure a few other people are wondering this too.  If we order a
2004 ornament that is left over, can we get the same numbered 2005
ornament as well?  Even though we don't already have the 2004?

Matt
VIN: 2953
Frostburg, MD

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, James Espey <james_at_dml_d...> wrote:

>> Ornaments arrived today and the elves here are busily getting them

ready

>> for shipment. As last year, we are only making 500, and each one is
>> numbered. If you ordered a 2004 ornament, and want the same

numbered

>> 2005 ornament, dig it out and mention the number when you order so

we

>> can pull it for you and make sure no one else gets it!
>>
>> http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?

PID=3440&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

>> If you didn't order a 2004 ornament, there are still a handful

left!

>> These are now $29.95! BUT, there is a way you can still get it at

the

>> old $24.95 price - email off-list (james (at) delorean.com) for

details how!

>> http://www.usadmc.com/dmcstore/ViewPart.asp?

PID=3380&Qty=1&ShowCart=true

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 01:09:09 -0000
From: "TALugtu" <talugtu_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed on de-railed window

I derailed my driver side window last Sunday; please send easy fix
procedure or step by step; I'm good with tools but first time to work
on delorean window; your help is greatly appreciated.

Blessins to all.

Tito

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:38:20 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Cars at IRS Auction

When you buy a car at an auction like this it is up to the bidder to
know (or assume) any liens or encumberances that may or may not be on
the title of these cars. The only thing the IRS can say is that THEY
(the IRS) no longer have any claim on the title. As many of you may
know the IRS can come before any other claims like a bank so if you
bid on any of these cars be warned that before you will be able to
title and register any of these cars you may have to satisfy a loan or
a lien. If you do not you may find that the car will be repossesed by
a bank.

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:37:24 EST
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Looks like only Encumberances are to the IRS

Pat.. Only need to meet the minimum amount.  There are no other
encumberances and the cars are released from the Federal Tax Lien by virtue of  the sale.
Roy
0893

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:12:24 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys

Josh Porter wrote:

>>If the car is a standard then there should be no problem in towing it
>>with a tolly. The man who I bought mine from, towed it from Oklahoma
>>to my house in central Arkansas, about four or five hours. I used a
>>transport trailer from Uhaul to tow it to a car show and it worked
>>like a champ. Be prepared to have people drive along side you a take
>>picture with their phones. My car did not even look good and people
>>were drooling over it.
>>
>>Josh
>>10989

Yeah. One of the more memorable things from when I was hauling my D from
Iowa to Tennessee after I bought it was when a group of 20 or so bikers
passed us on the interstate on the way back and every single one of them
was looking back over their shoulder when they passed. Got alot of
comments every time we stopped for gas too. and my D didn't really look
so hot then either.  A few miles from my house someone actually turned
around and followed us home just to see the car.

VIN# 03209

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:29:50 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

Yeah - but if your costs go too high, the price will go up faster
than demand will support it, demand will drop off, and you'll stop
making them. It's still economics.

Sell 'em while you can!

Dave

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:46:40 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: a few tech questions

Could be a number of things.

I suggest pulling the line off of the distributor Vacuum Advance to see if
you have vacuum while idling.  You're not suppost to so this points to
either:

A bad Vacuum Solenoid
A bad Thermal vacuum switch
A bad Microswitch

This could also point to a bad idle speed motor but I doubt it.  I had
similar problems on a DeLorean here in NC.  Everything had been replaced but
the microswitch and the problem persisted with the owner.  I took a look at
the car and peformed the same tests as you with the same results.  Long
story short Microswitch.

As far as the battery it could be a number of things but be sure to double
check all your grounds and make sure they are snug.  I've seen loose
connections before that only needed a snug and it solved the problem.

Let us know if any of this helps and I will offer other suggestions if the
problem persists.

Jeff in NC

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:14:18 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

>> Yeah - but if your costs go too high, the price will go up faster
>> than demand will support it, demand will drop off, and you'll stop
>> making them. It's still economics.
>>
>> Sell 'em while you can!
>>
>> Dave

Okay, Then I say find a way to increase demand. The best awareness
creator for the car already exists, and it runs like a two hour
commercial over and over on TBS. A lot of younger people who can't
help but know the BTTF films think the DeLorean itself was a prop
created for the movies because they were not around or old enough in
the '80s to remember the car being sold in dealers. I hear it all the
time at shows - "I didn't know it was a real car!!". they need to know
the car IS real, and something they can own someday.

Marketing to the nostalgic Thirty somethings I think is where it's at.
Make them aware that one of the few significant automobiles from the
era when they were coming of age is still out there, and affordable!
80's Ferraris like Testarossas and 308s are a little too pricey to
maintain for your average "Joe", and 3rd Gen Trans Ams, IROC Z28s and
even Fieros are almost all trashed junk by now, far from worth the
cost of restoration. The DeLorean is thee ultimate '80s nostalgia
automobile, and easily the best value as well. I believe there is big
potential, but unaware market for the DeLorean. Hey, if Apple Computer
can make a come back because good marketing made aesthetically
beautiful iMacs, towers and iPods a cool "must have" for a new
generation, then good marketing can do something similar for a vintage
car with contemporary, or "timeless" styling and modern upgrades. It's
all about changing and/or creating perceptions. If the vendors can get
people beyond it's current cult following to again desire the car,
it's demand will grow and it's value will increase, which will keep
them all in business well into the future.

Dan W.

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:51:24 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

If there is no demand... does cost really matter?

Ron

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:17:06 EST
From: lordshill_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Re: Cars at IRS Auction

Dave... The IRS must list the senior lien holders to the public.  The
Federal Tax Lien sale will extinguish any junior lien holder.  In this  particular
case the only creditor listed is the IRS.  The form that the IRS  issues would
have listed both senior and junior lien in addition to the Federal  Tax liens.
 In fact the IRS is required to notify both junior and senior  creditors.  In
this particular case there are none.  How a Federal Tax  Lien competes with
various forms of creditor filings (UCC-1; Judgements;Liens  etc) depends upon
the property in question.  I taught Federal Tax law for  years while employed
by the IRS and it is a difficult subject to  understand.  In this case
(Delorean; Bentley; etc) the winner of the  auction will be receiving a certificate of
sale that can be used to secure a  clean title upon registration of the
vehicle.

Roy
0893

In a message dated 11/23/2005 10:53:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net writes:

When you  buy a car at an auction like this it is up to the bidder to
know (or  assume) any liens or encumberances that may or may not be on
the title of  these cars. The only thing the IRS can say is that THEY
(the IRS) no longer  have any claim on the title. As many of you may
know the IRS can come  before any other claims like a bank so if you
bid on any of these cars be  warned that before you will be able to
title and register any of these cars  you may have to satisfy a loan or
a lien. If you do not you may find that  the car will be repossesed by
a bank.
David Teitelbaum
vin  10757

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:39:40 -0600
From: James Espey <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: DMC (Texas) Operating Hours this Holiday Season

DMC (Texas) will be closed on Thursday and Friday, November 24 and 25.
We will re-open at 8:30am on Monday, November 28.

We will be open Friday, December 23, and we will be closed on Monday,
December 26, and re-open on Tuesday, December 27th.

As always, if you are planning a visit to DMC (Texas), tours of the
facility are by appointment only, on a first come, first served basis.
Email me for further details or to schedule a tour.

James Espey

------------------------------------
DeLorean Motor Company
Vice President
james_at_dml_delorean.com
15023 Eddie Drive
Humble, Texas 77396 USA
tel: 800/872-3621
tel2:281/441-2537
fax: 281/441-2813
http://www.delorean.com

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:59:57 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: 1981 is the only real year for the Delorean

Delorean's were built only in 1981, the cars that you see in 82 and 83
  were pieced together later after the whole thing collapsed. This is a
  real Delorean.

http://tinyurl.com/exccv

  And this guy claimed to know JZD.