Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2998
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:25 Nov 2005 22:28:31 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. owners manual designer
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

2. Re: Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>

3. Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

4. Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>

5. Re: 1981 is the only real year for the Delorean
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. RE: IRS selling delorean at auction
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

7. Re: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

8. Re: RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

9. RE: Re: John Hervey is back
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

10. Re: RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment
From: tom kasmer <tkasmer_at_dml_yahoo.com>

11. Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

12. Re: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

13. RE: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:52:28 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: owners manual designer

The car never stops sparking interesting conversation.
Met a lady at Starbucks yesterday who's ex-boyfriend runs an art and design
company in California.
She said in '81 when they were an item he and his company did the owner's
manual for our beloved car.

It's worth checking into if someone is so-inclined.
Jeff Simpson, of Simpsons Art Service in Sante Fe Springs, CA.
Her name was Kathryn Bartula if anyone contacts him.

--
-Kevin

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:58:40 -0600
From: kjc <ckevinj_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Best comment on the Delorean Yet -- PRICE

>> Okay, Then I say find a way to increase demand. The best awareness
>> creator for the car already exists, and it runs like a two hour
>> commercial over and over on TBS. A lot of younger people who can't
>> help but know the BTTF films think the DeLorean itself was a prop
>> created for the movies because they were not around or old enough in
>> the '80s to remember the car being sold in dealers. I hear it all the
>> time at shows - "I didn't know it was a real car!!". they need to know
>> the car IS real, and something they can own someday.

Need to convince TBS to get their talking heads/bakers/whatever in to DMCH
to talk about the cars....

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:08:51 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Jumping Out of 5th Gear

Does anyone have any problems with their 5-speed jumping out of 5th
gear while they are driving? I am trying to see if it is at all a
common problem. I just fixed 2 transmissions that had the problem and
I am not sure how common it is. The fix is not too bad, I can do it
without removing the transmission and without any parts (unless I find
something missing or broken). The most difficult part is squeezing all
that gear oil back in!

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 02:06:57 -0000
From: "painterdave72" <painterdave72_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_o...> wrote:

Hi Dave... no I have never had a problem with my car in any gears yet... I did a
clutch replacement a few months ago.. How come every one has problems
with putting gear oil back in.. It takes about five minutes.. you just hold the
bottle up towards the underbody of the car and squeeze it in.. Dave...vin
15275

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 18:38:46 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 1981 is the only real year for the Delorean

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> How his "late model" got those hood lines and gas flap is beyond me.
>> Something about "stainless steal" in his ad just doesn't feel right.

Yea Marv, I think Mr. used car salesman made a freudian slip with his
"stainless steal" comment. Actually, his listing proved he's ignorant,
so it's no surprise he does not know the difference between "steal"
and "steel".

Dan W.

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:11:21 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: IRS selling delorean at auction

Mike and group.
The IRS called me about 6weeks ago when they got all the cars and we talked
about the De Lorean for a while. The one thing they could not tell me was
about the frame or where the car was from originally. I received another
call from them while I was in the hospital, so maybe they have some more
information.
I do plan to go to the auction.

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:54:06 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay

The owner claims it is a real Delorean because it is a early 1981 and
all the other cars are pieced together. Funny how his car has a gas
flap hood and they were not available for his VIN# so it appears his is
pieced together as well. Oh yeah the color of the car is Stainless
Steel not Stainless Steal like he has it on the ad. Also the right rear
tire is almost flat, he could at least put air in it for the photos. I
think he wants too much for it but this is my opinions.

No pictures of the underbody so i am assuming there may be rust because
he has lots of pictures of the interior to make you forget about the
underbody and none of the frame and we all know how the frames can
rust. Also i dont see any markings showing any of the safety
campaign/recalls have been done. I would have somebody check it out for
you if you are serious.

Typical used car sales man attitude i get by reading the description
and not knowledgeable about the car at all.

Just my opinions and i dont like fast pitch fancy sales ad's to make
you think you are buying more than you see or making you think it is
more of a car than it really is.

Good luck.

Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:08:55 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment

James Espey wrote:

>>This is exactly what we are doing with the remanufactured cars.
>>
>>Out of the 2800+ parts on the DeLorean, we carry over perhaps 20-25 from
>>the donor car. We're documenting a car that is undergoing this process
>>in the DMCHelp.com forums. The car is being prepare for Christian and
>>Melanie Jarzab of Arizona.
>>
>>I can't say that D1 is doing this on their cars, but I get the
>>impression that they are not.
>>
>>James Espey
>>DMC (Texas)

At hearing this.. Something i'm very curious about now.. What does DMCH
do with a delorean's worth of used parts then that were replaced from
the doner car?  I don't see anything about  used parts for sale on their
website. I'd thing they'd end up with quite a few too if they've indeed
done as many refurbs as they hint at. Im just wondering where these
parts go. I certainly hope they're not being cleaned up and passed off
as new or NOS..

VIN# 03209

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:06:13 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>
Subject: RE: Re: John Hervey is back

I'm keeping it slow, but if you need something my wife is doing the heavy
stuff for now. I got the flowers and they are lovely and what a nice
gesture.
Thanks for the support.

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:12:49 -0800 (PST)
From: tom kasmer <tkasmer_at_dml_yahoo.com>

having dis-assembled 5 cars during my car nut days, Im
sure the
parts being changed are things like bearings, seals,
hoses, belts, worn engine parts, worn upolstery, and
the like. I also
believe that upgrades in things like springs, shocks,
and unknown other parts are upgrades to make the car
handle better
and my point is that there is likely zero value in all
that.
Tom Kasmer

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:44:23 -0500
From: "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!

First let me say that I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday as we look forward to turkey sandwiches and leftovers for the next few days!  Thanks to the advice from the list (especially David T.) I was able to isolate my idle problem as a misadjustment to the quadrant link connecting the throttle spool to the body.  I can get it to idle correctly at 850-900RPM but when I step on the accelerator the mixture control unit opening hangs open a little so that the idle moves to 2000RPM.  If you tap the idle spool by hand it snaps back enough to close the opening and the idle settles back down to normal.  After playing with this for an hour I still couldn't get this now simple problem solved!  I was hoping that I might get some tips for readjusting the link so it doesn't keep hanging up and causing the engine to race.  Oh yeah, this whole ordeal began when I tried a tip posted on the list of backing out the brass screws on the butterfly assembly to alter the idle.  I snapped those suckers right off and found myself suddenly in the market for a new butterfly assembly.  I should have known-if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:56:28 -0000
From: "gullwingmag" <gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

If anybody is seriously interested, I can take a look at this car.  We
bought our first D from these people (Cheryls Concours winner) and we
were extremely pleased in dealing with them.

You should keep in mind that the cars they sell are mostly rare or
exotics and that they are on consignment.

The ARE a car dealer... so buyer beware!

Ron
gullwing-magazine_at_dml_sbcglobal.net

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 15:00:30 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

Now once in a while (more often now that the DeLorean Police are in force)
an eBay auction come up and people rip into it.  First off lets not even try
to argue DMCVIN6683, his arguments are indeed valid, but that's not the
whole story.

I am not affiliated with this seller or any other, but sometimes I get
perturbed about these little things.

This place is obviously a used car dealership getting many cars in each
month and there are tons of rumors that are about the history of these cars,
but lets face it, do you really expect everyone selling a car to know
everything about such car?  This place got this on a trade, why would they
know when the hood was changed?  Maybe this car was returned to the original
dealer for repairs and that was the only hood they still had in stock?
Maybe they wanted that hood and changed it?  Is every car that was ever
built pieced together if any part was replaced?

If you got a good deal on a trade in for your dealership, would you spend
hours reading up on each and every car, or would you take a lot of shots of
the car and ask a fair market value for it?  I for one would sell the car,
providing as much detail as was necessary.

I mean come on, the tire is low?  There is a mis-spelling on the page?
These are things to be concerned about?  Ok, yes the lack of frame pics is
suspect, but really if you were selling an old Ford would you crawl under it
and take a lot of shots?  Has anyone asked this guy for any frame pics?  I
wouldn't even know what markings my car does/should have for updates, and I
own 2, one for 8 years now!!!

This auction might indeed be a bad deal or a great one, but if the DeLorean
Police bash every one that comes along, none will be sold as potential
buyers will stray away.

Just my 2 cents, but lets all try to keep eBay auctions in perspective.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com