Subject:[DML] Digest Number 2999
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:27 Nov 2005 01:14:06 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. For sale
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>

3. Re: a few tech questions
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_ncplus.net>

4. Re: RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

5. Sad News Accident In Chicago area
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

6. Re: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

7. Underbody strap question
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com

8. Re: RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:33:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Davis <sixtyninebri_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: For sale

I have decided to part with my Delorean. I have not
had it long and always thought I would like to have
one. I have many classic cars but this is just not the
car for me. The car has 55k miles. Only had 6k until
1999 and the rest since. I just redid some of the
interior including seats with new leather. The car is
in great mechanical condition. I drove it yesterday
over 100 miles. I have many reciepts and manuals from
new. It is a CA car all its life.Originally owned by
CEO of Harvey's Lake Tahoe. Recently passed CA smog as
a testament to how well it runs. Newer tires. Body
does not have any damage. Engine bay is clean. All
electrical works. Glass is perfect. Many new parts in
the last few years (alternator, struts, reserve
radiator tank, brakes, master and clutch cyl with
stainless lines). Drive it anywhere today. Gas flap
hood, 5 speed, black interior. $14000 firm. Here is a
link to pictures-
http://community.webshots.com/album/451196103LLlByY
Located just north of sacramento. Vin # 29**

__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 05:38:47 -0500
From: "Michael Paine" <mpaine_at_dml_tycomsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!

I've done that, the brass is REALLY soft and easily
removed if you use a broken bolt extractor... very soft
metal...

I replaced them all with the non shear head brass screws
so it couldn't happen by mistake again. Then after
adjustment, coved them with the gray plastic adjustment
screw caps that DMCH has so other people aren't tempted to
turn the mysterious screws that are sticking up at them.

regards,

Michael Paine
Vin 6067

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:47:47 -0000
From: "outatym2001" <markman660_at_dml_ncplus.net>
Subject: Re: a few tech questions

Jeremy, perhaps one issue with your DeLorean can be resolved by
reading the following and I quote, "On early vehicles (prior to VIN
2547), the starter solenoid's operating voltage, in certain
conditions, was not high enough to ensure a consistant, reliable
operation.  This condition was displayed by a voltage drop
characteristic in the main wiring harness on vehicles with slightly
discharged batteries.  To correct this condition a starter circuit
modification was introduced into production starting at VIN 2548".

The rest can be found at
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/starterfix.html

My DeLorean VIN SCEDT26T4BD002261 has 17 digits unlike the one being
sold by the IRS at auction with only 16 digits.  Somewhere, somehow,
somebody left one digit out.

I feel for your DeLorean having so many issues at the same time.
Mine usually has just one or two at a time.  For example high idle
at 1,600 rpm's.  Nearly identical to Mike's problem
in message number 58751.

Mark R. Vanyo
DeVanloreanyo

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy Popp" <trentjus_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hello folks!  Some questions about my D:
>>
>> #1 I just changed the water pump and all the coolant hoses. Upon
>> starting it up it idles perfect (as before) around 800 rpm.  BUT,
>> after I rev the engine or take it for a spin the throttle sticks
>> around 2000 rpms and will not go back down.  When i get behind the
>> car and pull the throttle thing back to slow it down all I get is
>> massive fluxuating Idle from 500-2000 rpm back and forth.  But,

after

>> sitting 24 hours I start it again and its back to perfect idle

untill

>> i rev again. So is this my throttle sticking? Or some sort of

vaccum

>> leak? Keep in mind I just had everything apart from doing the

water

>> pump.
>>
>> #2 My battery is less than a year old. If I start the car every
>> single day I never have any starting/power problems. But, if I let
>> the car sit say, 3 days and I try to start it I get nothing. All

my

>> lights come on but when I turn the key I get absolutly nothing.

Now,

>> if I keep trying, eventually it'll turn over and its all good. The
>> longer it sits, the longer it takes to try to start it. But once I
>> start it, I can start it 100 times in a row without problems.  Is
>> that some sort of relay problem?
>>
>> #3 When I turn the key to start the car the ignition switch/key
>> doesnt spring back to acessory... so after it starts i have to

turn

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:27:26 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: RE: What goes in a remanufactured car? (Was: Best comment

They keep everything James told us at the Open house, nothing gets
thrown away.

Mark V

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:08:09 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Sad News Accident In Chicago area

Hi All ,

This is second hand information. My wife was watching the noon news out of Madison,Wi.
They reported on a commuter train accident in the Chicago area. In the video footage they
showed the cars that were hit by the train. My wife said one of them was a Delorean. She
said, it appeared to be totaled. Any one in the chicago area know who this might have been?
the report also stated NO injuries to any of the people involved. Apparently the accident
happened Thursday afternoon.

Dennis

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:56:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

The looseness can be the quadrant link ends being worn or the post
that the link connects to on the throttle spool is loose. Dissasemble
the throttle spool, clean, lubricate, and reassemble. Try to adjust
all the play out so it is holding everything tight at idle. It may
take replacing the quadrant link and/or the throttle spool. Look for
any lost motion and you will know what you have to do. You might also
want to lubricate the throttle cable as per the recall. I use a short
piece of hose with a hose clamp, fill the hose with anti-freeze, and
then hold a blow gun to the hose and pressurize the hose till the
anti-freeze comes out by the gas pedal.

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:41:47 EST
From: Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Underbody strap question

Gentleman,

I noticed a small black 1" nylon strap this evening attached to the  right
hand side of the underbody, near where the battery cables attach. This car  in
question, is a NOV 1981 build date. The strap is hidden in an area,  that you
could only see, when the frame is dropped from the body as is the  case here.

Does anyone have any information what this strap was/is used for?

Sincerely,
Mike Pack

Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:47:56 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

tom kasmer wrote:

>>having dis-assembled 5 cars during my car nut days, Im
>>sure the
>>parts being changed are things like bearings, seals,
>>hoses, belts, worn engine parts, worn upolstery, and
>>the like. I also
>>believe that upgrades in things like springs, shocks,
>>and unknown other parts are upgrades to make the car
>>handle better
>>and my point is that there is likely zero value in all
>>that.
>>Tom Kasmer

Well. James said in his email that they keep only 20-25 parts from the
original donor car. The stainless panels, frame, underbody, and all the
glass (about all i'd expect to be used from the original car, at least
as long as they aren't damaged) eat up the good majority of that part
count.. That leaves like 2780 or so other parts that they remove and
don't use. You can't say that all those are zero value parts, even if if
they may be used and not new.

Basicly what i'm wanting to know is if DMCH does actually keep the used
parts on hand. As I know more than a few D owners, myself included, are
on a limited maintaince budget, and in some situations,  a good used
part would much better fit our budget than a new one, and be just as
adequate at fixing whatever problem we may need the part for as well,
especially for things that cosmeticly don't matter, or weren't very
pretty to begin with. (I.E. The fuel distributor... Man, even with the
stainless lines that thing I think is an eyesore sitting on top of the
engine. :P Though I think It'd be much better if the fuel line routing
could be improved and at least partially hidden.)

Don't get me wrong. I know for some things only new parts are in order,
and using used parts in those instances would only be asking for
trouble. (ball joints. wheel bearings, etc)

VIN# 03209