Subject:[DML] Digest Number 3000
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:27 Nov 2005 21:34:40 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Sad News Accident In Chicago area
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>

3. Re: Sad News Accident In Chicago area
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

4. Re: Underbody strap question
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com

5. VIN number on frame
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

6. RE: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>

7. Battery Ground
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. High Idle Problem
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

9. RE: High Idle Problem
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>

10. Re: VIN number on frame
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

11. Re: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

12. Re: Sad News Accident In Chicago area
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: VIN number on frame
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

15. Re: VIN number on frame
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

16. Running Problem
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 15:55:20 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> This place is obviously a used car dealership getting many cars in each
>> month and there are tons of rumors that are about the history of

these cars,

>> but lets face it, do you really expect everyone selling a car to know
>> everything about such car?

No, of course not. I have a problem with the guy pretending he does,
and spewing out inaccurate info as a sales tactic to influence naive
potential buyers. If you don't know every "nerdy" detail about a
Marque, that's fine and fair, but don't substitute that ignorance with
BS. What would have been wrong with simply stating the facts, and
letting them speak for themselves? If you have a good product to sell,
you should not need to resort to misrepresentation and fallacies to
generate interest.

>> If you got a good deal on a trade in for your dealership, would you

spend

>> hours reading up on each and every car, or would you take a lot of

shots of

>> the car and ask a fair market value for it?  I for one would sell

the car,

>> providing as much detail as was necessary.

The guy is a dealer of used exotic cars, not a guy managing the used
car area of a Honda dealer, so he should already have a clue about
DeLoreans, and what he doesn't know he should know how to reference
considering he's been in the business for 55 years. You would provide
as much detail as necessary? Great! This guy is providing
misinformation. Misinformation that claims my DeLorean is not a "real"
DeLorean, and I take great personal offense to that. You take a pot
shot at my car, even if indirectly, and I'm going to say something
about it. Don't falsely question the legitimacy of my pride & joy, all
so you can turn a quick buck.

Next thing you know, I'll have some dope with an incorrect hood coming
up to me at a car show, telling me and everyone else he has a "real"
DeLorean, and I don't. Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, BUT we
as owners face enough misconceptions and misinformation every time we
take the cars out of the garage. Why not be upset about some guy
adding one more to that list, and he simply did it for profit!!

>> I mean come on, the tire is low?  There is a mis-spelling on the page?
>> These are things to be concerned about?

Yes, actually they are. When offering a rare high dollar item like
this for sale, common sense dictates you present it in the best
possible way to hopefully get the highest amount possible. Leaving
something as simple as a low tire attracts negative attention to a
place that should have otherwise not, making you wonder what else
might be wrong. Leaving tires low tire when shooting your all
important listing pics, and misspellings of that nature in you listing
to me demonstrates laziness and ignorance. Subtleties like this scream
"we don't pay attention to detail". To me, they raise caution flags
and make me loose confidence. It could have also scared off the person
who would have otherwise been willing to pay a few thousand more than
the winner, but because the listing made them nervous, they dismissed
this car and looked elsewhere.

>> Ok, yes the lack of frame pics is
>> suspect, but really if you were selling an old Ford would you crawl

under it

>> and take a lot of shots?

This is not an "old Ford". I know what you're trying to say, but let's
look at it this way. Let's say it was an old ford, like a '55 T-bird,
a Shelby Mustang or even a GT40. Then yes, I'd expect a lot of
detailed undercarriage pics upfront without having to ask.

>> I wouldn't even know what markings my car does/should have for

updates, and I

>> own 2, one for 8 years now!!!

Okay... No comment.

>> This auction might indeed be a bad deal or a great one, but if the

DeLorean

>> Police bash every one that comes along, none will be sold as potential
>> buyers will stray away.

Ya know, one of the great things about living in the 21st century is
the ability for people in the know to all easily gather in one place,
while not having to physically be in the same place and pass along
their wisdom, experiences, opinions, knowledge, etc. It's all here for
everyone else to take or leave. You may not always like it, but at
least it's here, and it's better than it not being here. If people
like "Mr. Slippery Used Exotic Car Salesman" feel the need to put
forth misinformation with the intention to manipulating a sale, then
thank God people like the "DeLorean Police" are also right near by to
set the record straight.

>> lets all try to keep eBay auctions in perspective.

Perhaps we can, because we've been around long enough to know eBay
sellers can and will often say anything. There are those, believe it
or not, who don't know any better, so again, here we are in a place
like this to cry foul.

Dan W.

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:16:48 -0000
From: "coreysmoo" <coreysmoo_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Sad News Accident In Chicago area

I live on the southwest side of Chicago, and this train wreak is big news around
Chicago.  Not in any of the EXTENSIVE coverage the local media pours into this
tragady did I see or hear about anything resembling a DeLorean being involved.  I'm
sure if there was one, I would have gotten a call or two from people making sure it
wasn't me!  :-)   But, I could be wrong.  Maybe there was one totalled.  But I really don't
think so.

Corey
2423

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hi All ,
>>
>> This is second hand information. My wife was watching the noon news out of

Madison,Wi.

>> They reported on a commuter train accident in the Chicago area. In the video

footage they

>> showed the cars that were hit by the train. My wife said one of them was a

Delorean. She

>> said, it appeared to be totaled. Any one in the chicago area know who this might

have been?

>> the report also stated NO injuries to any of the people involved. Apparently the

accident

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 00:56:40 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_y...> wrote:

>> Hi All ,
>>
>> This is second hand information. My wife was watching the noon news

out of Madison,Wi.

>> They reported on a commuter train accident in the Chicago area. In

the video footage they

>> showed the cars that were hit by the train. My wife said one of them

was a Delorean. She

>> said, it appeared to be totaled. Any one in the chicago area know

who this might have been?

>> the report also stated NO injuries to any of the people involved.

Apparently the accident

>> happened Thursday afternoon.
>>
>> Dennis

I did a quick google on this, and I'm assuming it's the same crash as
the one you're mentioning, and it took place on Wednesday (so says the
website).  I watched the two videos on CNN's website and didn't see a
DeLorean in all the mess, and I'm pretty good at spotting them in a
crowd.  Some people were injured but no deaths reported thank goodness.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/24/chicago.train/

-John

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:23:34 EST
From: Soma576_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Re: Underbody strap question

In a message dated 11/26/2005 9:59:11 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Packodenton_at_dml_aol.com writes:

Gentleman,

I noticed a small black 1" nylon strap this evening  attached to the  right
hand side of the underbody, near where the  battery cables attach. This car
in
question, is a NOV 1981 build  date. The strap is hidden in an area,  that
you
could only see, when  the frame is dropped from the body as is the  case here.

Does  anyone have any information what this strap was/is used for?

Sounds like a battery hold-down strap! How did it get outside the  battery
compartment?

Andy

Fargo, ND
1982 DeLorean DMC12 VIN 11596

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:21:04 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: VIN number on frame

All,

Does anyone know if the VIN number was ever permanently put on the
frame?  I was working on Joeys car yesterday and found that the rear of
the frame has been boxed, and one of the pieces used seems to have the
last digits of a D VIN on it, 006###, can't remember the numbers, and
they don't match his VIN.

Thanks,

Bernie

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:49:45 +0000
From: "Jeff Friday" <DeLorean_Type304_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: RE: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!

Hmmmm,

If you're tapping the spool and the idle goes back to normal than it sounds
as though it needs to "hit" the microswitch to trip it.  Try adjusting the
screws on the arm that hits the switch.  Make sure the bottom one just
barely taps FIRST and then the screw above it trips the microswitch
instantly there after.  You can give the upper screw an extra 1/2 turn to
trip the switch better but you may need a new switch.  Try an adjustment
first.

I had to learn the hard way about the brass screws as did a guy I met here
in NC.  Snug em down with good O-Rings and leave em.  I have developed a
good method to adjust the screws and manually tune the car by dissabeling
the idle control system but it works much smoother set up like it was
intended.  It's a nice method to get the car to a show in a pinch though  :)

Jeff in NC

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 07:20:41 -0800 (PST)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Battery Ground

After putting on a new accumulator and O rings and
still having a hot start problem (thanks to everyone
who offered solutions) I have started the process of
elimination starting with the battery ground. It won't
start when hot but will start hot when jumped. I have
gotten a new battery so my battery does not die now
when trying to start hot. One of the responses for my
hot start was the battery ground. I found the ground
by the passenger TAB, question is do I have to break
the bolt?? I have tried spraying it with "deep creep"
hoping that might help clean it up but it did not
help.
Thanks in advance.

Joey

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:31:32 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: High Idle Problem

All,

I have been working on someones car and it has a really bad high idle
problem.  When the car starts, it idles at about 2K RPM.  I have
checked all of the vacume lines and they seem to be OK.  What could
cause this?

Thanks,

Bernie

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:20:04 -0600
From: "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: High Idle Problem

This could be one or more of several things.
One, an air leak either in the lines or the intake itself - not as likely.
Two, the little micro switch that is pressed when the throttle spool
relaxes,
this should activate the idle speed motor (three).
This little black cylinder has a plug coming out of the top of it and it
sits to the left
of the intake towards the back.
Try unplugging it and see if the idle drops.
In my case I simply unplugged it and it my idle went back to normal.
I leave it unplugged all the time - no more problems.
- VB

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:34:30 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: VIN number on frame

I'm thinking if it is, it's probably covered with epoxy?  But I never
seen one completely apart yet, except for pics.

Matt

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:35:30 -0000
From: "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Sorry to see that you are selling your car so soon Mike.

Never got to meet you last year in Cincinnati when you did the frame
swap.

Sad to see someone put so much work into the car and then sell it.

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael & Denise" <luckeys71_at_dml_c...>

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:11:12 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Thanks to those who replied.  Ya, I did a web search and found video and slideshow clips
too. I didn't see anything resembling a Delorean either. At least that is good news. I asked
my wife again if she was sure what she saw. She told me that in the clip they showed a
vehicle up on its side. With a shot of the grill being verticle she said when she noticed it
she even walked up to the TV to get a closer look. She claimed it was the DMC logo.
Personally I think she saw perhaps a GMC suv or minivan grill.  Apparently, she needs to
up date her eyeglass Rx.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:44:45 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

There is a plate on the left rear frame extension under the rear
pontoon. It is a Frame Number and does not correspond directly with
the vin. DMCH has a cardfile that did correlate the frame #'s with
vins for early vins. One of their future projects is to publish it. I
am told lack of manpower is the reason such projects as this are not
done. You have to realize DMCH is in business primaraly to turn a
profit so they cannot do a lot of projects that do not directly
produce income. Another anomaly is that the vin does not correlate
with the motor or the transmission. I find this a little surprising,
in the US all manufacturers, since the early 70's, had to identify
major components with the vin. Strange that DMC did not have to
comply. At this time there is NO WAY to know if an engine, frame, or
transmission is origional to the car or not.

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:48:31 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear

Hi David,

I don't have a problem with 5th gear, but I am starting to have problem with 2nd gear
popping out now and then.  Although it only seems to happen when the transmission oil is
cold right after start up and heading down the road. The senario: I would start out for a
drive No problems then when I pull up the an intersection after down shifting. Call it a
rolling stop I shift from 3rd to 2nd and think it is all the way in 2nd when I let the clutch
out to start going again the shifter pops forward. In all the years following fixing the
Second gear roll pin problem I had never had a problem until the last few months.

As for your 5th gear problem. A couple years back Ed Bernstein wrote a long winded
Cluthch and Transmission tech article for DW magazine. it covered 3 issues. I remember
the popping out of 5th gear as sympton of a clutch alignment I think. I don't have my back
issues handy at the momment  but if someone else happens to have their back issues
handy  please look it up and post the symptoms and probable cause stuff.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:53:26 -0000
From: "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_netzero.net>

Hey Bernie,
I have 4 cars & none of the numbers are the actual vin of the car but,
they are close within 70 numbers of vin, it's in black marker on the
rear frame behind the muffler heat sheild.
Lawrence
00538m,00915a,1025m,4837a

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:00:49 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Running Problem

Help!!  The car was doing fine, then started bucking about 70 mph.
When I slowed to 65, it was fine for several miles, then started
bucking again.  Then I slowed to 60, it was fine, then a few miles
later started bucking again.  Slowed to 55, it was fine, then the same
thing again, etc etc etc.  Got to the shop when it would only go about
10 mph, then it just about stalled.  They haven't looked at it yet,
anybody have any ideas what it could be?  Appreciate the help!!