Subject:[DML] Digest Number 3001
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:28 Nov 2005 21:07:42 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>

From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>

From: "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_netcom.no>

From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

9. Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

10. Re: Battery Ground
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Running Problem
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

12. Re: Running Problem
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Re: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!
From: "lluucckkmmaann" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>

14. Re: Battery Ground
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

15. RE: Re: VIN number on frame
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>

16. Re: VIN number on frame
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

17. Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

18. Automatic Transmission Shifter Indication Plate
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

20. Re: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

21. Idle is lousy until it hits about 105 degrees in engine
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com

22. DMA Holiday Party - Reminder
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>

23. RE: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "Pasquale Lombardi" <pasquale.nj_at_dml_verizon.net>

24. Re: Automatic Transmission Shifter Indication Plate
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

25. Re: Idle is lousy until it hits about 105 degrees in engine
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

26. Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:00:20 -0500
From: "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_stiefelaluminum.com>
Subject: RE: Charles Schmidt Auction at EBay

Ok I am not going to continue the same arguments back and forth, but there
is one little thing I will say about this:

Quote: Yes, actually they are. When offering a rare high dollar item like
this for sale, common sense dictates you present it in the best
possible way to hopefully get the highest amount possible. End quote

Are you serious???  High Dollar item???  What world do you live in?  Uhh
these are $20K cars here if in good condition, not a Rolls Royce or Tucker
as this seller has sold in the past.

I am sure I am not going to be liked very well for this, but these cars are
a novelty to most people.  When I bought my "D" in NJ back in 97 the
dealership was full of REAL High Dollar cars (Bentleys, Rolls, Lambro).  The
"D" looked at home with these cars, but wasn't.  The dealer knew very little
about the car as it was a cheap car for them.  If you are used to selling
$100K+ cars this little $20K car is a throw away, like a used Dodge Ram at a
Porsche lot.  I mean come on a PT Cruiser costs more than a DeLorean.

I for one love my novelty car, heck I bought 2 of them!

Ok I am done ranting now, I am not upset with anyone, am not trying to have
a fight, and will not cause anyone undue stress over this little issue.
Take my comments with a grain of salt and remember it is like a certain
orifice that we all got.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com
Come hang out in The DMC Lounge --
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMCLounge/

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:22:53 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: VIN number on frame

Thanks for the responses.  But this is an emobossed number, really
wierd, then again someone boxed the frame in the engine compartment,
could be a piece of steel from anything.

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Lawrence Lormand" <lawrencesr_at_dml_n...>
wrote:

>> Hey Bernie,
>> I have 4 cars & none of the numbers are the actual vin of the car

but,

>> they are close within 70 numbers of vin, it's in black marker on

the

>> rear frame behind the muffler heat sheild.
>> Lawrence
>> 00538m,00915a,1025m,4837a

the

rear

>> of

have

>> the

numbers, and

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:43:27 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: High Idle Problem

Bernie,

This same issue that was posted last week by some one else. Check the replies to his
postings you may find the answer. I assume you have checked the micro switch correct!
There is one other thing that can cause this, a stuck ISM, I had a personal experience with
that. It was on another guys car also.  How I diagnosed it was to swap my known good ISM
with his unit.  The car idled perfectly, later it was determined that his motor was stuck in
one position because the upper bearing for the armiture had rusted solid prevening
movement. although this is more likey to happen on a car that sits for years out in the
elelments.

Dennis

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:59:13 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> In my case I simply unplugged it and it my idle went back to normal.
>> I leave it unplugged all the time - no more problems.
>> - VB

Bob,

I mean no offense,But if you drive around with the ISM  unplugged you have a problem that
needs to be corrected. Generally, if you unplug the ISM the car will die or at the very least idle
poorly.

Have you messed with the idle air screws?

Dennis

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:38:57 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Battery Ground

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_y...>

I found the ground
by the passenger TAB, question is do I have to breakthe bolt?? I
have tried spraying it with "deep creep"
hoping that might help clean it up but it did not
help.

Hi

Not a case of breaking it , if you need to remove the ground eyelet
that is connected to the bracket , just simply undo the bolt, there
may be another nut on the other side , in my case a spanner was
threaded through the backside of the bracket to undo this nut first.

Regards

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:51:12 -0500
From: <rob_at_dml_pjgrady.com>
Subject: RE: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear

Dennis,

It sure sounds like the typical broken second gear fork pin symptoms. This
is most commonly caused by someone trying to make it home without a tow call
after losing their clutch fluid. IMHO it's not with the risk of damage to
the car or the person driving it to force a car into gear with a
malfunctioning clutch. Don't blame yourself as this could have happened
years ago to a P.O. and the weakened pin finally decided to let go. In any
case the fix is to R & R the transmission and replace the pin or ignore it
until it gets worse.  Unfortunately it may eventually cause damage to the
first/second slide hub which is much worse because it's very hard to find
slide hubs these days. BTW when we replace this pin we install a smaller one
inside the replacement pin to give it extra strength. You should also plan
on changing all the seals and gaskets.

David,

The "pops out of fifth" problem is not very common but I've seen twenty or
so cases over the years and the cause is usually a bent shift fork which we
usually replace. Can I assume that you are straightening this fork to effect
a repair as this part is also somewhat hard to get?

Rob Grady,

P.J.Grady Inc.

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:03:38 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Running Problem

I would suspect a fuel related problem. I wuld first inspect the fuel
tank and internal components. If, after doing that you still have the
problem, replace the fuel filter and air filter. If none of this helps
then I would look over the ignition system.

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:10:25 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear

For the jumping out of 2nd gear I would suspect a bent or broken roll
pin on the shifter rod again. Before going inside recheck the gear
shift adjustments and the oil level. The jumping out of 5th gear has
nothing to do with the clutch alignment. It is caused by bending the
5th gear shifter fork because you do not get full clutch disengagement
which is caused by the plastic clutch line. Same cause as the
bent/broken pin on the 2nd gear shift rod. BTW some people report that
the transmission shifts better especially when cold by using synthetic
oil in the manual transmission. Maybe you want to try that?

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:35:54 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

Be careful when removing that bolt. There are two nuts on it. One is welded
to the frame and the other is used to keep the bolt locked in place. Look
at the end of the bolt and you can see the two. Make sure to soak this end
with penetrant and back the nut off a few turns. With the wrench on that
nut, you can now back out the bolt.

The bolt is probably really rusted, so you can't use too much penetrant. If
you break the head off, you'll have to drill it out and retap (been there).
The good news is after cleaning the connection, it fixed my charging and
low voltage issues!

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:45:50 -0000
From: "Harold McElraft" <hmcelraft_at_dml_aol.com>

Sounds like the volts are dying. That's what happens when the alt goes.

Harold McElraft - 3354

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:50:22 -0800 (PST)
From: mike clemens <rmclemns_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Check out your fuel system.  I had exactly the same
problem and was lucky to get home.  Mine ended up
being crappy stuff in the fuel tank that plugged
things up.  Luckily,I had a spare fuel pump and after
swapping it out, I was able to limp in at about 10
mph.

Mike   TPS   1630

--- tuxr <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com> wrote:

>> Help!!  The car was doing fine, then started bucking
>> about 70 mph.
>> When I slowed to 65, it was fine for several miles,
>> then started
>> bucking again.  Then I slowed to 60, it was fine,
>> then a few miles
>> later started bucking again.  Slowed to 55, it was
>> fine, then the same
>> thing again, etc etc etc.  Got to the shop when it
>> would only go about
>> 10 mph, then it just about stalled.  They haven't
>> looked at it yet,
>> anybody have any ideas what it could be?  Appreciate
>> the help!!
>>

>> To address comments privately to the moderating
>> team, please address:
>> moderators_at_dml_dmcnews.com
>>
>> For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for
>> sale see www.dmcnews.com

>> Yahoo! Groups Links
>>

>>     dmcnews-unsubscribe_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

__________________________________
Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 21:13:35 -0000
From: "lluucckkmmaann" <luckeys71_at_dml_cox.net>
Subject: Re: Idle Problems Solved-Well, Almost!

Yes, unfortunately I'm putting my car up for sale as I have just
spent too much money on it and must make a difficult financial
decision.  Like many others in the group who have owned several
different DeLoreans I plan to purchase another one down the road
when I've built myself a bigger financial cushion.  I will remain on
the DML as I have and always will enjoy reading and discussing all
things DeLorean!
--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Joe OBrien" <joeyoseppijoe_at_dml_y...>
wrote:

>> Sorry to see that you are selling your car so soon Mike.
>>
>> Never got to meet you last year in Cincinnati when you did the

frame

>> swap.
>>
>> Sad to see someone put so much work into the car and then sell it.
>>
>> Joe O'Brien
>>
>> 2524,
>> 16634,
>> 16851
>>

>> --- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Michael & Denise"

<luckeys71_at_dml_c...>

as

>> we look forward to turkey sandwiches and leftovers for the next

few

>> days!  Thanks to the advice from the list (especially David T.) I

was

>> able to isolate my idle problem as a misadjustment to the quadrant
>> link connecting the throttle spool to the body.  I can get it to

idle

>> correctly at 850-900RPM but when I step on the accelerator the
>> mixture control unit opening hangs open a little so that the idle
>> moves to 2000RPM.  If you tap the idle spool by hand it snaps back
>> enough to close the opening and the idle settles back down to
>> normal.  After playing with this for an hour I still couldn't get
>> this now simple problem solved!  I was hoping that I might get

some

>> tips for readjusting the link so it doesn't keep hanging up and
>> causing the engine to race.  Oh yeah, this whole ordeal began when

>> tried a tip posted on the list of backing out the brass screws on

the

>> butterfly assembly to alter the idle.  I snapped those suckers

right

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:32:08 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Joey - The bolts that are used to attach the trailing arm bolt
bushing retention plates to the frame have a double nut on them.
There are welded nuts on the frame that the bolts are screwed into.
Then, double (or jam) nuts are screwed onto the ends of the bolts to
make sure they never come out.  The trick is to get the double nuts
off, because the bolts are long enough that there isn't room for the
nuts to come off without also loosening the bolts a bit.  Whatever
you do, don't try to remove the bolts without first removing the jam
nuts.  The process of getting the remains of the broken bolts out of
the welded nuts is not pretty.  Contact me offline if you have any
questions on this.  Toby(at)delorean-parts.com.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:04:55 -0500
From: "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Re: VIN number on frame

Bernie,

Can you post a picture of this somewhere, please?  I am very interested to
see what you are referring to.

For what it's worth, my car doesn't even have the black marker writings on
the rear of the frame.

Greg

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:37:43 -0000
From: "sandorp1" <piszar_at_dml_sbcglobal.net>

Stian, the window sticker is actually there for the consumer, not
the dealer.  The dealership has an invoice with all the detailed
equipment and pricing info for the car.  The window sticker,
officially called a Monroney Label (named after the Congressman who
proposed the law) is required by law for all new vehicles sold to
the public.  It is not supposed to be removed by anyone but the
person who bought the vehicle.

The engine # is on a Delorean window sticker, but I have never seen
a frame #.

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Stian Birkeland" <delorean_at_dml_n...>

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 03:07:06 -0000
From: "dmc_5180" <dmc_5180_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Dave, Been there done that 6 years ago including the double roll pin. Back then it was very
apparent that the roll pin was sheared because shifting into 2nd was very mushy on
occasion with the spring compressing on the sliding fork shaft. Either way the only way to
find out for sure is to open things up again " Oh Craptacular"  :-)  I guess I know what I will
be doing at the Chicago spring tech session.

Dennis

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 04:32:11 -0000
From: "Steve" <p2freak_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Automatic Transmission Shifter Indication Plate

Group,

I am having trouble removing the shift indication plate that shows
what gear you are in.  The plate is at the forward end of the center
console.

According to the archives,  one should be able to just pull the thing
backwards to detach.  I've removed two screws securing the plate and
the AC facia before trying to pull it lose.  Maybe some of the
automatic Delorean owners who has removed center console can drop some
hints.

Thanks.

Steve
VIN#04421

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:35:14 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Let's not forget the 5th gear retaining nut backing off. I know of 3
cars in this country that've suffered this fate, my own included, and
the gearbox specialist we use has seen many UN1's with the same issue.
The Lotus guys know about it as do the Alpine guys. It's one of those
"very rare, but it happens" problems!

All UN1/369 gearbox parts are still available from Renault.... at a price.

Martin
DMC Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:43:49 -0000
From: "Dan" <djdanwilson_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Jack Stiefel" <jackstiefel_at_dml_s...> wrote:

>> there is one little thing I will say about this:
>>
>> Are you serious???  High Dollar item???  What world do you live in?

I live in a world of average five figure salaries with a mortgage, an
aging daily driver and your assorted debts common to most. So, while
$20K may be a great price for an exotic sports car compared to most
other exotics, from my vantage point $20K for anything is a lot of money.

Still, what I view to be a high dollar item doesn't change the fact
that he's misrepresenting the car in a way that attempts to diminish
mine, all for the sake of trying to make money, so as far as I'm
concerned he's something I can't post here.  :)

Dan W.

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:12:20 EST
From: deloreanernst_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: Idle is lousy until it hits about 105 degrees in engine

I'm having a little problem connecting with phone help at my usual vendor
lately so I put it to the list:  My D starts reasonably well, idling at  around
850, then after about 2 or 3 minutes, or when I brake to a stop sign  at the
end of my street, it starts to cough, backfire and stumble.  More gas... no
help.  No gas... no difference.  Pump it... no  difference. You'd think the fuel
line was kinked or something. So far, this  could be a lot of things, but get
this: if I let it idle awhile, restarting it  when it stalls, until the engine
warms, it will idle just fine, nice and steady  with occasional briefs dips
to 500.  If this is a mechanical problem, why  the heck does it work fine when
warm? If anything, a deteriorating fuel pick up  hose would work worse in hot
fuel. (I replaced it and the pump about 3-4 years  ago anyway.)  I don't get
around to reading every single post anymore but I  don't remember any with this
exact illness.  Any ideas? Oh, the lambda  probe is about 2 or 3 years old,
the ECU is new, but made no difference.
Wayne

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:02:42 -0500
From: Delorean Mid-Altantic Club <clubevents_at_dml_deloreanmidatlantic.com>
Subject: DMA Holiday Party - Reminder

Just a reminder that there are only 2 days left to sign up for the DMA
Holiday Party at the discounted pre-registration price!   Reservations for
the party must be in by Nov.30th. Itís only $30 per person and that includes
dinner, unlimited non-alcoholic drinks, desert, tax & tip. The party is in
Philly at Dave & Busterís Grand Sports Cafť in Franklin Mills Mall. We have
reserved a private room for this party and itís going to be the biggest
winter event yet for the club!

To register, go to  <BLOCKED::http://www.DeLoreanMidAtlantic.com>
www.DeLoreanMidAtlantic.com. You must be a DMA member to attend this event.
Membership is only $15/yr. and the benefits more than pay for the membership
fee. You can register for membership on the DMA website too!

If you have any questions, send me an e-mail at
<BLOCKED::mailto:events_at_dml_deloreanmiatlantic.com>
events_at_dml_deloreanmiatlantic.com.

Thanks, and see you at the party!

---Evil Dan
Activities Director

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:00:10 -0500
From: "Pasquale Lombardi" <pasquale.nj_at_dml_verizon.net>

Hello Dave.
My driver side door has become VERY HEAVY.
I hate to think that something happened to the torsion bar.
When the hydraulic piston goes bad, does the door become Very Heavy?
If you suspect the piston, who sells the best ones?
Thanks Dave.
Pat in NJ.
Car in UNION, NJ

>> Let's not forget the 5th gear retaining nut backing off. I know of 3
>> cars in this country that've suffered this fate, my own included,
>> and the gearbox specialist we use has seen many UN1's with the
>> same issue.  The Lotus guys know about it as do the Alpine guys.
>> It's one of those "very rare, but it happens" problems!
>>
>> All UN1/369 gearbox parts are still available from Renault....
>> at a price.
>>
>> Martin
>> DMC Ltd
>> www.delorean.co.uk

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:33:10 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

You have to remove the shift knob first. There are two little phillips
screws in the back of the shift knob. Remove the two screws and the knob
comes apart. Remove the retainer nut on top and slide the mechanicals off
the shift lever. Position the lever at the Drive position and slide the
indicator plate over the shift lever.

Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:39:02 -0500
From: "Dave Sontos" <dsontos_at_dml_verizon.net>

Could be two things. Low voltage, bad battery or original alternator not
putting out enough voltage. Bad Control Pressure Regulator (Warm-up
Regulator). My guess is the Control Pressure Regulator, go to my web page
for more info and repair.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7u0gn/id4.html

Dave Sontos

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:52:57 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

If that nut should back off you will wind up with major problems. The
nut will go through the end cover and you could mess up several gears
and syncros when the input shaft moves around. I think that this is
less common on Deloreans though, the engine isn't all that powerful.
If the nut is properly staked on and you are not a maniac with the car
it should never come loose (at least on a Delorean!). Don't forget, it
is not the 5th gear retaining nut as much as the Input shaft retaining
nut. Without it to keep the input shaft in place the input shaft can
float "not a good thing". Anyway , it is good to know that parts are
plentiful. The transmission is one of the more trouble-free areas of
the car, there doesn't seem to be all that many problems with it. Use
the braided steel clutch line, Castrol fluid (and change it every 2
years) check the oil level once in a while and don't force any shifts
and it seems to last. The only weak points are the shift pin and the
5th gear shift fork when you abuse it.