Subject:[DML] Digest Number 3003
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:30 Nov 2005 01:08:01 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>

From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com

From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

11. Re: Technical Manual?
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

12. RE: Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>

13. Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

14. RE: UN1/369 gearbox parts
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>

15. Re: Oil leak, ideas and inspiration!!
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:14:36 -0000
From: "Chris Williams" <chris_at_dml_cwilliams68.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: Oil leak, ideas and inspiration!!

Hi all,

>>Right, I had noticed a small oil leak that I thought was coming from
>>the crankshaft oil seal. However upon looking closer it looks like it
>>is coming from above the crank and below the water pump. So does this
>>mean that I am about to lose all my oil pressure one day when an oil
>>way in the 'valley of death' burst's or is there anywhere else that
>>can leak oil above the crankshaft that I have overlooked?
>>Or should i just be on the lookout for a new block   :-(
>>I have had some great ideas from Martin, but would like to throw this

open for everones ideas.

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:21:45 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: 2006 Millennium Concours in Chicago

Hi all - I'm starting to get the Millennium Concours organized for
the 2006 DeLorean Car Show in Chicago (Pheasant Run). Sign up for the
competition as part of your registration at
www.deloreancarshow.com .If you are interested in competing, please
contact Marty Maier (wingd2(AT)aol.com) prior to signing up for the
event.

Information, judging manual, etc. on the competition is available at:
www.millenniumconcours.com .

We expect to update and further refine the judging manual in the next
few months, but the 2005 version is a good start on your preparation
efforts. There is a low-volume mailing list primarily for discussion
among competitors available there as well.

ALSO - I'm interested in added to the ranks of judges. If you are
interested in participating please contact me off-list and I'll tell
you how it works. Best candidates for this are people who have owned
a car for a few years, do enough of their own work on the car to
understand what they are looking at, and are interested in furthering
this sort of competition. And are planning on attending DCS2006.
Prior judges and assistants should contact me if you're interested in
judging at this event (if you already have, no need to write again).

First time judges will always be used in an "assistant" role so don't
be afraid to get involved.

Dave Swingle - t-shirt, trophy, and judge coordinator, Millennium
Concours

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:19:03 +0000
From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear

Hi David

It's actually the secondary shaft nut that backs off. I've dredged up my
photos of when I fixed mine

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DCP02272.JPG

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DCP02269.JPG

http://www.delorean.co.uk/DCP02277.JPG

On driving it, 5th was nonexistant, 4th made a racket, but 1,2 and 3
worked fine.

I think it's "luck of the draw" and little to do with driving style. My
car in the photos had 2353 miles on it when I bought it and this problem
was the reason why! I had the casing welded up, and replaced the nut
(loctite this time around!). If you find that fith is missing, this will
most likely be the problem. STOP driving, or you'll do that, or worse,
to the casing. FWIW though, any D owner who drives my car now comments
on how slick the gearchange is. Ironic really, and possibly due to
having needed new gear oil right back when I got it with low miles!

Martin
#1458 - in the pics

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:12:53 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: VIN number on frame

All frames I have seen have a small plate welded in the left rear
frame rail in the engine compartment. There's a number on this plate,
but it doesn't have any direct correlation with the VIN of the car. As
David T. mentioned, we have a partial list of VIN's that includes the
engine and gearbox number. I don't recall at this time ever seeing any
list that also shows the frame number.

I have seen a number of frames where there was a handwritten number
applied to the rear frame extension underneath the impact absorber.
Sometimes this written on a piece of tape applied in the same
position. It's usually the last 4 or 5 digits of the VIN or within a
couple numbers of it.

James

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "timnagin" <timnagin_at_dml_m...> wrote:

>> Bernie,
>>
>> Can you post a picture of this somewhere, please?  I am very

interested to

>> see what you are referring to.
>>
>> For what it's worth, my car doesn't even have the black marker

writings on

>> the rear of the frame.
>>
>> Greg

Behalf Of

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:11:40 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Technical Manual?

Interesting - I was talked out of buying this one by one of the vendors
a long time ago (quote "it just duplicates the workshop manual"), then
I picked it up a few years later. It is actually something of a "study
guide" for dealer mechanic training, and has some handy theory of
operation-type information on many of the major subsystems.

It's not a duplicate of any other information, and I was surprised how
often I refer to it. The workshop manual is "how to change parts", this
one, while not terribly complete, will help you figure out what parts
to change.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Tom Tait" <TTait_at_dml_B...> wrote:

>>  I have my workshop manual purchased from a vendor, my parts manual,
>> technical bulletins and wiring diagram printed from online PDFs, and a
>> new owners manual for the glovebox courtesy of eBay - but what about

the

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:12:34 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Removing Clock

Can the clock be removed without taking alot apart?  Does it pop out
somehow?

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:23:55 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys

Having transported my Delorean once in the last couple of months, I
found that it fit nicely on the car carrier that you can completely
put the car off the ground, and on top of the trailer. It is a
little more pricy to rent than the tow dolly, but since you cannot
hook the front wheels up to the tow dolly, as the car is rwd, you
would have to back it on. I am not entirely sure how to keep the
wheels straight if you do.

My advice would be to either drive the car, or get completely on a
trailer.

There was a few posts about this a few weeks ago (Early october I
think)

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "John Macias" <jdm5_at_dml_h...> wrote:

>> U-Haul has some good information on loading our cars onto their

Auto-

>> Transport..
>> http://www.uhaul.com/towing/special_loading.html
>>
>> John
>>
>> -- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob_at_dml_h...>

is

>> for a

you

>> the car

>> thing is

half-

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:35:28 -0000
From: "James Espey" <james_at_dml_delorean.com>
Subject: Re: Charles Schmitt Auction at EBay

I caught pieces of this subject over the Thanksgiving weekend in St.
Louis, and wish that I had time to go visit Charles Schmitt. 20-plus
years ago when I was growing up in St. Louis, Charles Schmitt had the
local Rolls-Royce franchise and always had a wide selection of exotic
and interesting cars on display in his showroom and on the lot. When I
was 13-14 years old, he saw me wandering amongst the cars and instead
of jumping on my case about it, we had a nice long conversation about
cars and which ones I liked and what I liked about them. I would say
he was in his 50's then.

I heard that in the mid-eighties, he had his R-R franchise pulled for
discounting cars, which apparently R-R thought was unseemly for their
brand. After that his whole operation kind of went downhill, though he
still sells a number of cars. His son, I believe, also sells a number
fo cars on Ebay through his own dealership, Daniel Schmitt.

I don't think Charles is purposely trying to mislead anyone, in fact,
I think at his age he probably has very little to do with the listings
of cars on Ebay. At worst, he's guilty of being mis-informed about the
cars (how many car dealers aren't?). I would think that if someone
were to politely call the dealership and ask to speak to him or
whoever writes his ads, that he would be receptive to it. Heck, I
might do it myself just to see if he remembers me.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:43:08 EST
From: kKoncelik_at_dml_aol.com
Subject: DCS Registration

HI

Thanks to all of you that either registered this weekend for Pheasant Run  or
bought tickets for the raffle car and to those of you that subscribed to the
magazine (we have plenty on hand).

I did get a lot of requests on what are we doing at the show.

The web page is pretty much up to date at this time so you can review what
we have scheduled so far for each day.

Other questions were about the technical items

Yes we plan on rebuilding and engine from the block up (Dan Deutch and
company)

Yes we plan on doing a lowering suspension job (Chicago group)

and although I have not talked recently with Stephen from DMCH, he is
tentatively planning to do something technical as well.

Rob Grady also is planning something and we will also have Don Steger to
round out the main DeLorean Repair centers.

We will have two of your fellow delorean owners go over what they did  to two
of the most popular DeLoreans out there  now.

The guest list is still changing but we will definitely have at least two  if
not three or four former DeLorean Employees along with rare DeLorean  Footage.

We again will have the hours of DeLorean Video running in the background
most of the time.

Most important is the Museum.  This has taken a lot more time and  money than
anyone could have imagined and right now I can only say that the  items that
we currently have promised are the rarest you will find and some of  the
Documentation that you will see is what has been talked about for years but  no one
was sure if it still existed.

Your response this weekend makes me think we will be at my upper end of the
estimates I have made.

Thank you and remember this is your show.

You get out of it what you put in to it.

Rooms are going fast

Also at Zanies comedy club they are working on getting Tom Wilson for that
weekend.
At our (bbtf.com) suggestion they have started booking Tom at Pheasant run
for Jan and Feb. so we just may see him there as well in addition to the other
BTTF cast that will be there.

Ken

DeLoreancarshow.com

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:21:26 -0500
From: "Shain" <dsmguy_at_dml_ptd.net>

Hey Martin,

I have built a large amount of transmissions (non delorean), and have found
on a lot of cars the end nuts are often loose.  I built a lot of awd
Mitsubishi transmissions, and the nuts were constantly loose.  This is also
a problem on numerous trucks, autos etc.  Some transmissions have indents on
the input or output shaft that allow the nut to be bent over, to allow it to
not come off.  Although this only lasts for so long.  I've found that proper
torque settings is the best way,  and I'm not sure loctite is the best way
to go about it.  Usually when the nuts loosens it allows too much 5th gear
endplay, and the gear becomes harder to engauge.  So maybe inspections
should be done on high milage cars, and cars having their gear oil changed.

-Shain

#1458 - in the pics

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:14:40 -0800
From: Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_comcast.net>

You have to purchase the technical manual from a vendor. I would highly one
if you plan to due a lot of work on the car yourself. Particularly with the
fuel system. There are troubleshooting guides and tables in the technical
manual for the fuel system that I haven't found yet in my Bosch manuals.

It's about 140 pages and while some of it is duplicated from the Workshop
manual, a lot is different material.

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:29:35 -0800
From: "Arnie Brandon" <arnie_at_dml_pndc.org>
Subject: RE: Re: DeLoreans and Tow dollys

Could you please explain further the comment in your post below, "SINCE YOU
CANNOT HOOK THE FRONT WHEELS UP TO THE TOW DOLLY, AS THE CAR IS RWD, YOU
HAVE TO BACK IT ON"?  This appears to be some misinformation.   Refer to my
post to this forum dated 11-21.  In that most, if not all, tow dolly's come
equipped with wheel straps, any DeLorean can be towed on any dolly, front OR
rear wheels.  This does not apply to an auto trans.   I use straps and
safety chains utilizing the tie down eyes that are on the frame, rear wheels
on the ground.  Awaiting your reply.
Arnie Brandon
Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club member

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:38:50 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Jumping Out of 5th Gear

This looks all very familiar having just been there. Of course your's
is worse than mine, my cover didn't get torn up. It is nice that you
can do this repair without having to remove the transmission! Once you
torque the nut by putting the transmission into 2 gears at the same
time and then hammer it over on the flat it should not move. I would
recomend you use a magnetic drain plug so you can catch all the metal
that may still be in the case.

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:42:22 +0000
From: "alex morgan" <mauibarber_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: UN1/369 gearbox parts

Could you please direct me to the website or phone number so that I could
price out some parts for the manual transmission?  Specifically the 1-2
slider/hub.
Mahalo,
Alex

Message: 19
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:35:14 +0000

" From: Martin Gutkowski <martin_at_dml_delorean.co.uk>

Let's not forget the 5th gear retaining nut backing off. I know of 3
cars in this country that've suffered this fate, my own included, and
the gearbox specialist we use has seen many UN1's with the same issue.
The Lotus guys know about it as do the Alpine guys. It's one of those
"very rare, but it happens" problems!

All UN1/369 gearbox parts are still available from Renault.... at a price.

Martin
DMC Ltd"
www.delorean.co.uk

Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 04:34:27 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Oil leak, ideas and inspiration!!

Before you go crazy looking for the oil leak check the oil pressure
sender on the left side of the motor. It is very common for them to
leak and make it seem like it is the pan gasket or whatever. The
sender can be resealed or replaced.