Subject:[DML] Digest Number 3005
From:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Date:30 Nov 2005 23:16:03 -0000
To:dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com

1. Re: Power door locks
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

2. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>

3. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

4. Re: Power door locks
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

5. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

6. Re: Removing Clock
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>

7. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

8. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>

10. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "Robert Patz" <topgunster_at_dml_delorean.com>

11. Oil Leak
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>

12. Re: Power door locks
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

13. Hey everyone! New Website!
From: "g2_dmc" <g2_dmc_at_dml_verizon.net>

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:25:32 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>
Subject: Re: Power door locks

dmcchaser wrote:

>>Hello all.
>>  I'm about to dive in and start diagnosing the inoperative power
>>locks in my D.  What I need to know is, how are they supposed to work?
>>For example, when can I expect the passenger's door to lock and unlock?
>>In my Toyota (an 85 Celica) the driver's door is unlocked using the
>>key, then a second twist to the unlock position unlocks the
>>passenger's side too.  I know the D is different, but I don't know
>>what I should expect.
>>
>>Matt Smith

The door locks in the D are basicly just tied together electricly, to
put it most simply. When you lock one door (or unlock), the other door
should lock as well (or unlock). To my knowledge it shouldn't matter if
this is done with the key or from inside, or from either door.  One
thing that bugs me about the door locks operation in general is the fact
that you can't really lock the doors with them open, then shut them. The
front latch (I believe anyway. might be the rear) has to be on it's
striker pin before the lock mechanism will engage. Otherwise the
pushrods will just bend.  This pretty much requires you to allways lock
the door with the key once closed when your outside the car. Kinda
annoying to me. I'll probably use a keyless entry of some type when I
get that far on my own resto.  Probably go with one of the wings a loft
kits.

Though on a funny note. When I asked the PO of my car if the door locks
worked before I bought it. He said he didn't know. He'd allways heard so
many bad things about the door locks burning out or locking people in
their car so he never locked the car the whole time he owned it. I found
out when I got it home that they didn't though. The controller was non
functional and one of the solenoids was burnt out.

VIN# 03209

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:17:53 -0000
From: "Dave Swingle" <swingle_at_dml_dmcnews.com>
Subject: Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?

A really handy cross-reference on the battery for those who get asked
is "98 Chevy Suburban" (probably the same as a Chevy pickup too).

It's a very common Group 78 side terminal battery, although many of
the replacements (like the Optima) now have terminals on the top and
side.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> I went to the local Autozone to get an Optima Yellow battery, which

>> grabbed off the shelf and took to the counter to purchase.
>>
>>   "What vehicle is this for, sir?"
>>   Gus tilted his head quizzically.  "Does it matter?"
>>   "It does if you want the warranty," was the matter-of-fact reply.
>>   Wryly, Gus answered "A 1981 Delorean."
>>   The clerk approached his terminal and quickly punched the keys to

pull

>> up the "D" list of manufacturers.  Datsun, Daihatsu, Dodge...hmmm.

He

>> repeated this process, foolishly hoping for a different list the

second

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 15:09:05 -0000
From: "gbsdelorean" <gbsdelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Gus Schlachter <gus_at_dml_a...> wrote:

>> I went to the local Autozone to get an Optima Yellow battery,

which I

>> grabbed off the shelf and took to the counter to purchase.
>>
>>   "What vehicle is this for, sir?"
>>   Gus tilted his head quizzically.  "Does it matter?"
>>   "It does if you want the warranty," was the matter-of-fact reply.
>>   Wryly, Gus answered "A 1981 Delorean."
>>   The clerk approached his terminal and quickly punched the keys

to pull

>> up the "D" list of manufacturers.  Datsun, Daihatsu,

Dodge...hmmm.  He

>> repeated this process, foolishly hoping for a different list the

second

>> time.  "Who makes that?" he asked, seeming somewhat annoyed.
>>   "Ummm...De Lor E an" Gus repeated, wondering how this guy

managed to

>> avoid both watching TV and going to the theater for the entire

80's

>> decade.
>>   The clerk pondered his computerized predicament for a

moment.  "Is

>> there...some OTHER car that this battery could be for?!??"

Just be glad he did not ask what color the car was...

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 05:58:15 -0000
From: "Toby Peterson" <tobyp_at_dml_katewwdb.com>

Matt - The door locks are synchronous.  In other words, when one side
is changed (either by outside key or inside rocker switch), the other
side will automatically change as well, if all is working.  When you
have a malfunction in the DeLorean central locking system, it can be
any one of a number of issues (depending on the exact symptoms).  If
you can describe what your locks are doing, or not doing, we should be
able to help locate the problem areas.  Essentially, the system
consists of a central locking module, solenoids in each door, and bell
crank actuated switches for positional feedback of lock position.
There are known issues with each element of the system.

Toby Peterson  VIN 2248 "Winged1"
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_j...> wrote:

>> Hello all.
>>   I'm about to dive in and start diagnosing the inoperative power
>> locks in my D.  What I need to know is, how are they supposed to

work. I know the D is different, but I don't know what I should expect.

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:13:45 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Haha!  What are they going to do next?  Ask what the quarts of oil
you buy are for?  I'll reply with, "my tires for burnouts!" *Rolls
eyes*

Did you still buy the batter Gus?

Matt
VIN: 2953

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 04:44:49 -0000
From: "tuxr" <tuxdarby_at_dml_msn.com>
Subject: Re: Removing Clock

Mine is an automatic, but it looks like it would be the same
instructions as you stated.  Thanks for the info.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "dmcchaser" <dmcchaser_at_dml_j...> wrote:

>> I assume you're talking about the clock in the center console forward
>> of the shifter.  If your car is a 5 speed like mine, all you have to
>> do is take out the two screws at the rear of the plate around the
>> shifter.  Unscrew the shifter knob, lift up the plate and there you

go.

>> Matt Smith

out

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:00:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Stankiewicz <protodelorean_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Gus' story reminded me of one I hadn't shared with the
group yet.  This story is true and I have witnesses!

A few months after I bought 02650 (back in 1997), a
few friends and I were hanging out in the Econo-Lube
that the one friend owned.  We started getting goofy
and decide to have some fun with the Pep Boys that was
across the street.  (On Route 40 west for any
Marylanders.)  So I called over there, got the parts
counter and when asked what I needed, asked for a
"flux capacitor for a 1981 Delorean".  I got put on
hold and figured even if this noodle had never seen
BTTF he'd surely ask someone else, then I figured he'd
hang up on me.  Well, a couple minutes goes by and he
gets back on the phone.  "What sort of part is that?"
"Electrical" I reply.  "Hold On..."  Another couple
minutes go by.  We're starting to laugh our collective
a$$es off when "Hello?, I can't find a reference for
it.  I think I can special order it though.  It would
be here by next Monday.  Would you like to do that?"
I couldn't take it anymore and had to say "no thanks"
before I lost it.  In hind sight, I probably should
have ordered it.  You never know what I might have
gotten.

Chalk it up as one time when the Delorean OWNER wasn't
the victim of the BTTF joke!

Steve

VIN 2650 ("Project Delorean")
www.projectdelorean.com

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:22:24 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

I've had the same type of experience looking for a couple of things
at Autozone. I got the same type of answer.. I don't have a delorean
in my computer. Do you know of another car that these might be on?
Umm no... The other question I have gotten from Autozone is "Who
makes Deloreans?" or "Do you have a model number for the Delorean
that I can search for?"
Checker Autoparts (CSK) on the otherhand seems to know what a
Delorean is. They even have it in their computer.

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:04:11 -0600
From: DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?

First relocate your Inertia switch to the area near your hood release.
This was a safety recall.

The rest of your leaks just use some Permatex Black RTV or some other
type of all wether silicone to fix your leaks. The hole behind your
speaker can be fixed by siliconeing a piece of rubber over the hole.

Good luck

Mark V

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:39:08 -0000
From: "Robert Patz" <topgunster_at_dml_delorean.com>

I called Car X Muffler to price a battery. When they asked what car
it was for I told them a 1981 DeLorean. They asked who made it?  I
told them DeLorean.  They told me they would have to special order
the battery and it would cost $500.00.

BOB - - - - - 808
5144

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:29:24 -0000
From: "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_usa.net>
Subject: Oil Leak

With the recent discussion on oil leaks I wanted to get information on
a small leak I have. There is a large bolt on the driver's side that
faces the left of the car (if you're standing behind the car) that has
a wire coming from it. It's below the A/C compressor above the oil pan
close to the catalytic converter. Oil appears to be leaking from that.
I couldn't find this item in the parts manual. What is this item? it
can't be the oil pressure device is it?

Shannon

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:53:10 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Does anyone have a diagram of the relay compartment belong to
what/what they do? I was hoping that there would be a sticker on the
underside of the cover/board, but there is none. Additionally, I
would like to know how to test them out. I just see a whole bunch of
relays that all look the same, and since I mostly work on my car at
night, cannot read them with a flashlight.

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Chris Almy <chris.almy_at_dml_c...> wrote:

>> The D is actually very similar. It doesn't matter if you

lock/unlock the

>> door from the inside or outside, either way the other door will do

the

>> same. So from the drivers side using the key, when you unlock the

door, the

>> passenger side should unlock as well.
>>
>> Before you start troubleshooting, disable the electronic locks by
>> disconnecting the big white connector on the lock module in the

relay

>> compartment. Verify that each door properly locks and unlocks

using both

>> the inside switch and key (remember, the doors should be closed

when

>> locked). If they don't do this, you're not going to get anywhere

with the

>> electronics. Use this page to help align the locks if they aren't

working

>> properly:
>> http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html
>>
>> Fixing the electronics can be a bit more tricky. If you can solder
>> electrical components, start of by replacing the two relays in the

lock

>> module (Toby sells an upgraded version). If they haven't failed,

they will

>> someday and possibly lock you in the D! So you might as well

replace them.

>> Now if one or both of the doors aren't functioning properly, then

you

>> probably have to deal with the solenoids.
>>
>> You can replace them with other solenoids at a great expense or

rebuild

>> them. I did this to one of mine using the article in the tech

section. It

>> wasn't fun, but it worked. Now I would just recommend shelling out

the $100

>> and buy Toby's actuator upgrade. Installing the actuators is

cheaper then

>> replacement solenoids and quicker then rebuilding them.
>>
>> I hope this helps. If you still have issues with the system, let

us know

>> exactly what the problem is.
>>
>> Chris
>> VIN 4099

[long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:16:58 -0000
From: "g2_dmc" <g2_dmc_at_dml_verizon.net>
Subject: Hey everyone! New Website!

Hello to the DeLorean community!  My name's Matt Aebersold.  Those of
you from the PNDC will know me, but for everyone else, I am 21 years
old, living in Thousand Oaks, CA.  I've been a DeLorean fan ever since
I was a wee lad.  I don't have one yet, but that has been my dream for
the past....15 years.  I'm currently involved in web design, and going
for a degree in multimedia design.  Check out my DeLorean fan page
"DeLorean Enthusia."  Let me know what you think!  And please link me
to your sites so I can get some exposure!

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from all of you soon!
http://www.mattaebersold.com

Matt A