From: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 7:39 AM
To: dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com
Subject: [DML] Digest Number 3006

1. ATTN: Tom Kasmer
From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>

2. Re: Used Parts (was: What goes in a remanufactured car?)
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

3. Re: Oil Leak
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

4. Re: Power door locks
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

5. Re: Hey everyone! New Website!
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

6. Re: Was Power door locks... Relay Compt
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>

7. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

8. Re: Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>

9. Re: Oil Leak
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

10. Re: Power door locks
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

11. Re: Power door locks
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

12. Re: Hey everyone! New Website!
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

13. Re: Oil Leak
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

14. Re: Power door locks
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

15. Short
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>

16. RE: Power door locks
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

17. Re: Hey everyone! New Website!
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

18. Re: DeLorean Dealership sign font
From: "Chuck McKnight" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>

19. Re: Re: Hey everyone! New Website!
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>

20. Re: Power door locks
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

21. Re: Short
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

22. Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>

23. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

24. Re: Hey everyone! New Website!
From: "g2_dmc" <g2_dmc_at_dml_verizon.net>

25. Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:35:56 -0000
From: "George DeLorean" <phantomoftheopera_gk_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: ATTN: Tom Kasmer

Hey Tom, if you see this message, please do e mail me.

                     George DeLorean

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:20:25 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Used Parts (was: What goes in a remanufactured car?)

If used parts are out there and are cheaper than the new, but just look a little used I am all for it.

Sean

-->

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:55:32 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Oil Leak

to quote delorean.co.uk its an

Oil pressure switch. So often the cause of an oil leak on the left hand side of the engine block just in front of the AC belt.

It is a very common cause of an oil leak. cheap part just replace it :)

Regards

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:01:49 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Power door locks

Try:-

http://specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/relay-compartment-
references.html

or

http://deloreanparts.com/zilla_010.htm

The later shows which relays are the same, dont swap any other ones around with with anoy of these :)

Regards

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_y...> wrote:

> Does anyone have a diagram of the relay compartment belong to
> what/what they do? I was hoping that there would be a sticker on
the
> underside of the cover/board, but there is none. Additionally, I
> would like to know how to test them out. I just see a whole bunch
of
> relays that all look the same, and since I mostly work on my car
at
> night, cannot read them with a flashlight.

 [long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:12:30 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Hey everyone! New Website!

Nice website Matt.  In the Misc section you have two DeLorean pictures
from 1995 that shows a car that clearly has a brown interior.  Where
were these taken?  Any info on the car or the owner?

-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 22:04:53 -0000
From: "Mike Bosworth" <mike.bosworth_at_dml_btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Was Power door locks... Relay Compt

And while your in there good time to check and clean up the
terminals on these and the ones on the fuse box :).Its not a
difficult job, just do one wire at a time ! :)

http://deloreanparts.com/zilla_013.htm

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:09:50 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Optima Battery...you want fries with that?

Steve,

What's the number I want to call and get a flux capacitor, and
actually see what shows up.

And to all, are there any instructions out there on how to build a
replica?

Owning two cars, I tend to show the SS one and would really like to
have a dummy flux capacitor for show.  Most people only know the car
for BTTF.

Thanks,

Bernie

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, Steve Stankiewicz

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:22:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Joey Morgan <jlm1701music_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?

Hmmmm, I have had my cubby box wet inside as well, not
soaking wet, wet enough to cause concern. I am going
to have to see if there is a hole in the body on mine
as well. What did you do to close up the hole if
anything??

Joey

--- DMCVIN6683 <dmcvin6683_at_dml_wi.rr.com> wrote:

> First relocate your Inertia switch to the area near
> your hood release.
> This was a safety recall.
>
> The rest of your leaks just use some Permatex Black
> RTV or some other
> type of all wether silicone to fix your leaks. The
> hole behind your
> speaker can be fixed by siliconeing a piece of
> rubber over the hole.
>
> Good luck
>
> Mark V

[very long quote trimmed by moderator]

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:07:25 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

My guess is that is the Oil Pressure Sender:

(Part Number 102462) Located on page 1-2-0 of your parts manual

Looking at the picture it took me a few seconds to orient myself. I
remembered that the Oil filter is on the passenger side of the car, so
that would put Oil Pressure sender is on the Driver's side. Someone
earlier today told me he thought that it was 17mm.

You can get it from the major vendors.

Sean

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:14:37 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

Your door locks are controlled by that large black plastic box
behind the relay bank.  I bet you will find it disconnected.  It has
a large white connector that runs to the doors, and another red wire
that connects to the circut breaker right next to it.  More than
likely both are disconnected.

Bernie

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:25:24 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

I forgot to add. some bosch relays don't have a pin 87a, I can't
remember if the ones in the D use the 4 or 5 pin version.  If they don't
have an 87a then you just have to make sure pin 30 doesn't have
continuity to anything when the relay is unhooked, and make sure it has
continuity to 87 when power is applied to 85 and 86

VIN# 03209

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:03:00 -0000
From: "Bernie" <bmanderville_at_dml_comcast.net>

What is the VIN of your Black Dream DeLorean, it looks like my Black
Beauty.  Which is currently headed to Houston for the Stage II engine.
I also like the nice shiney black paint job, I also have polished
original wheels, looks really sharp.  Pick up a copy of the Gullwing
2006 25th anniversery calandar, she is in it.

Your website is awesome.  I like your story about the DeLorean, that
you tell.  Seeing the car, riding in the car, and finally getting to
drive one.

Bernie

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:08:56 -0000
From: "John Spangler" <johnspangler_at_dml_netzero.net>

--- In dmcnews_at_dml_yahoogroups.com, "birdwell77095" <birdwells_at_dml_u...> wrote:

> With the recent discussion on oil leaks I wanted to get information on
> a small leak I have. There is a large bolt on the driver's side that
> faces the left of the car (if you're standing behind the car) that has
> a wire coming from it. It's below the A/C compressor above the oil pan
> close to the catalytic converter. Oil appears to be leaking from that.
> I couldn't find this item in the parts manual. What is this item? it
> can't be the oil pressure device is it?
>
> Shannon
> VIN 16113

I am having the same leak, though mine is probably worse than your at
the moment.  Here's a pic of what I imagine you're looking at, from
the driver's side looking straight up near the back of the car, a few
inches above the oil pan:

http://www.johnspangler.com/DMC/oillight1.jpg

That's the oil pressure sensor, all right.  I enjoy the irony of the
part that's supposed to let you know of a low pressure situation being
the source of a leak.  I got a new one which I'm looking forward to
putting in while doing my first oil change, it was less than $20 with
a new seal too.
part #'s
102462 SENSOR,OIL PRESSURE
102461 SEALING WASHER

I'm hoping it's as easy as it looks to replace.

-John

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:21:35 -0600
From: Qumefox <qumefox_at_dml_brazi.net>

seanhagan wrote:

>Does anyone have a diagram of the relay compartment belong to
>what/what they do? I was hoping that there would be a sticker on the
>underside of the cover/board, but there is none. Additionally, I
>would like to know how to test them out. I just see a whole bunch of
>relays that all look the same, and since I mostly work on my car at
>night, cannot read them with a flashlight.

I remember seeing the location diagram in the parts manual somewhere. I
don't have it with me so I can't tell you in what section though. Most
of the relays are the same though. I think the only three that are
different are the lambda relay, rpm relay and the fan fail module. the
rest of them (8 I think) are normal 40 amp bosch relays.  Testing the
normal relays is simple enough. You just need an DMM, test light,
whatever. Anything that you can use to verify continuity, and a 12volt
DC source.  All you do is first put your DMM or test light between pin
30 and 87a and make sure you have continuity and 30 and 87 should be
open. Then apply 12 volts to 85 and 86 and test again. this time 30 -
87a should be open, and 30 - 87 will have continuity.  I don't know
anything about how to test the RPM or lambda relays though, as I don't
know how they're wired.   If your relays are original though, i'd
suggest replacing them reguardless of if they work or not. the normal
bosch 40's are pretty inexpensive and the originals are well over 20
years old after all. Replacing them is just added peace of mind.

VIN# 03209

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:49:10 -0500
From: "Ed Garbade" <edgarbade_at_dml_hotmail.com>
Subject: Short

My passanger side marker and right rear tail lights keep blowing a fuse
(believe it is a 10A fuse in slot #8).  The car has basically been sitting
for some time.  I replaced the fuse last night and tried it for 20 seconds
and everything was fine.  I drove it to work today and when I got home the
lights were out (drove for about 6 miles with the lights on).  Tonight I
replaced the fuse and it blew instantally.

Any idea where the best place to start looking for a short?

Ed

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:56:33 -0600
From: "John Hervey" <john_at_dml_specialtauto.com>

Sean, You can run a copy of the relay compartment off my web site or follow
this link.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/relay-compartment-references.html

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:50:07 -0000
From: "conundrum1984" <jeepno1_397_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Very nice site!  Added to favorites!

Matt

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 02:31:06 -0000
From: "Chuck McKnight" <gullwingdoors_at_dml_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DeLorean Dealership sign font

Anyone know where I can download that for free?

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:45:14 -0500
From: "Michael Babb" <mcbabb_at_dml_gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Hey everyone! New Website!

and I love the car on the home page - looks framilar:
http://babbtechnology.com/pics/3472images/outside/left_allclosed.JPG

Michael Babb
VIN 3472 -though no longer has Bubbles hanging from the rear view mirror . .
.

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:36:12 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>

Even if you can get your door locks to work again I would leave the
Lock Module disconnected. Hook it up for testing purposes but to leave
the origional connected is dangerous. Either add relays or get a
better Lock Module. Unfortunatly there are no more new Lockzillas
available but there are other choices from other vendors. Maybe you
could find a Lockzilla on E-bay.

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 03:30:15 -0000
From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty_at_dml_optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Short

Start by removing the right marker and tail lights. Look for corrosion
and remove the bulbs. Now try another fuse. If it holds replace one at
a time and see if either one blows the fuse. Be careful not to melt
your headlight switch. NEVER OVERFUSE! In fact for testing purposes
you should go 1 size down (like a 5) till you fix the short.

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:51:30 -0000
From: "Patrick C." <PRC1216_at_dml_aol.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking Seals...or something else?

I wouldn't advise siliconing a piece of rubber over the hole(s) behind
the speaker panel(s).  Sure it will work, but I used fiberglass on
mine instead.  I went to NAPA, picked up a fiberglass repair kit, and
covered the holes, then painted them black (I wanted it to look stock,
even though no one will see the repair).  In my mind, I think that
fiberglassing over them is going to be a more permanent repair than
gluing a piece of rubber over it, but I'm sure both do their job.

This was a pesky leak, and would soak the carpet in the storage
compartment, but I could only see just how much water was back there
when I removed the storage compartment carpet.  Covering the holes
also eliminated quite a bit of wind noise I could hear while driving.

Good luck,
-Patrick C.
1880

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:40:36 -0000
From: "seanhagan" <seanhagan_at_dml_yahoo.com>

Saw one for sale on http://www.az-d.org/flux.html

Sean

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 06:14:38 -0000
From: "g2_dmc" <g2_dmc_at_dml_verizon.net>

Is that okay with you?  If not I can totally change it :-)
Matt

Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:03:22 -0000
From: "Marv Hein" <marvhein_at_dml_hotmail.com>

Johnny Sawyer in the AZ-D makes 'em.  You can contact him through az-
d.org.  He uses his for shows also and I think makes new ones to
order. I'm holding off 'til my plutonium comes in.

Marv
#10820